itsjustme

What Are President Bush's Accomplishments?

Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:34 pm

Can anyone please tell me, in list form preferably, what President Bush has accomplished during his first term that has had a positive effect on America? Please don't confuse this thread with a Bush vs. Kerry debate as that is not the intent here. I am not a Bush hater nor am I a Kerry lover. Pretend this isn't an election year and just document what positive things President Bush has accomplished since taking office. The reason I ask is because I can only come up with things that he has done that have had a negative effect on us. Those being:

1- record high annual deficit
2- record high gas prices
3- we're in a war that has cost us nearly 1000 American lives thus far
4- the economy is near depression standards
5- we're seeing more and more domestic jobs outsourced to foreign countries
6- we've alienated ourselves from countries who were once our allies
7- health care costs for veterans has increased
8- he plans to curtail COPS funding which will cost close to 90,000 police
officers their jobs
9- not only was he was in office when the country's deadliest act of domestic
terrorism occurred but, as we approach the 3rd anniversary of that event,
he has failed to bring the mastermind of the murder of 3000 people on
American soil to justice

MxCtrlr

RE: What Are President Bush's Accomplishments?

Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:23 pm

I think, objectively, that putting number 9 on the list is quite unfair. Sure, it happened on his watch but it wasn't anything that any sane person could have forseen. The economic "tanking" that occurred in the aftermath of 9/11 would have happened no matter who was the President at the time. Would Clinton, Bush I or Reagan done any better? Not that I'm defending Bush but I highly doubt that ANY President would have done any better or worse given the same set of circumstances. Just my two cents worth.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

itsjustme

Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:59 pm

I think, objectively, that putting number 9 on the list is quite unfair. Sure, it happened on his watch but it wasn't anything that any sane person could have forseen. The economic "tanking" that occurred in the aftermath of 9/11 would have happened no matter who was the President at the time. Would Clinton, Bush I or Reagan done any better? Not that I'm defending Bush but I highly doubt that ANY President would have done any better or worse given the same set of circumstances. Just my two cents worth.

Two very valid points. Although, I think it was President Harry S. Truman who coined the phrase, "The buck stops here", indicating that the sitting President must take responsibility for what happens on his watch. That being said, I agree that, in all fairness, item 9 should be deleted. However, I don't think the on-going instability of our nations economy can continue to be attributed to what happened almost 3 years ago. There comes a point in time when the current president must take responsibility for the state of our economy and I think that time is upon us now.

P.S. Loved the "nice hair" comment.

cfalk

Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:38 pm

Nyet. You forget about inflation. The deficit is at 4% of GDP. During the 80's, it was up to 6% or more. France and Germany are also at 4%. It is not unusual to run up a deficit when trying to dig your way out of a recession, in fact it has proven to be the best thing to do.

Again, you are forgetting inflation. Gas prices are not as high as they were in the early 1980s.

FDR got the U.S. in a war that cost hundreds of times more American lives. Does that automatically make him a bad guy? If Iraq does not turn into a more-or-less stable democracy over the next 10 years, THEN you can critisize him for it. If what he did works over the long term, he will be a hero.

The economy is growing at a rate unheard of in 20 years, and unemployment is at levels which many modern nations could only dream about. Some depression...

And other nations are outsourcing more and more to America. BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, all have transfered design and production to the U.S., even for export back to their home markets. It's called free trade, and it works both ways.

France has only been an ally of the U.S. when it suited them. That's been the case for a very long time. Jacques Chirac has said for over 20 years that it is not in France's interest to have a powerful or influential U.S.A.

In any case, To have allies, one must have an enemy. During the cold war, many countries were U.S. allies even though they might not have liked each other. During WWII, The U.S. was allied with Stalin. When the enemy changes or is removed from the field, you can expect your old alliances to be reshuffled or even eliminated.

Remember what the purpose of the U.S. government is - to advance the interests of the U.S. If those interests coincide with those of other countries, fine. Otherwise, each pursues their own.

So has health care costs for everyone. One of those directly to blame is John Edwards and his baseless medical lawsuits. Have costs increased for veterans faster than for anyone else?

officers their jobs

I haven't heard about that. Source?

9- not only was he was in office when the country's deadliest act of domestic
terrorism occurred but, as we approach the 3rd anniversary of that event,
he has failed to bring the mastermind of the murder of 3000 people on
American soil to justice

Others have already answered that one. The 9/11 attacks were in the planning already during Clinton's administration, and prior to 9/11, Bush was mainly oriented on domestic issues, so I find it hard to pin that on him.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: 6- we've alienated ourselves from countries who were once our allies

France has only been an ally of the U.S. when it suited them. That's been the case for a very long time. Jacques Chirac has said for over 20 years that it is not in France's interest to have a powerful or influential U.S.A.

It's not only France that has been alienated (in fact, you're right, France was never a particularly close US ally) - it is the PEOPLE of close allies like the UK, Spain, Italy, Japan, Korea, Australia etc etc who have been alienated - the governments may have joined the Coalition of the Slightly Sceptical, but the people certainly weren't in favour of it (how many millions of people, yes millions, demonstrated against the Iraq War ?). To have squandered entirely the limitless sympathy and goodwill that was held by almost everyone in the world for the USA in the post-9/11 period, has been GWB's biggest and saddest "achievement" and will be his lasting legacy in the eyes of the world.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jasepl

Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:57 pm

He managed to - inadvertently, of course - get a bunch of rightist governments either

a. Into trouble (Australia, Britain...)
b. Voted right out of power (Spain, Poland, India...)

I'm not saying he had anything to do with it. The two probably were mutually exclusive in may cases, but it did happen.

And that is a good thing.

HOMER71

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:11 pm

Um, how does the president set gas prices?

Well, soldiers DO die in wars, but I think our troops are doing pretty good, losing around 1000 brave souls in 1 1/2 years of armed conflict (I'm guessing that's a little less than WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam). But if you want to talk about the reasons we went to war, then you got a valid debate.

We came out of a short recession last year, with the economy adding more jobs in the past year than were lost in the first part of Bush's term. The unemployment rate has stayed under 6%, so I don't think we're at or near "depression standards". Besides, I got a $800 check last year from the government and had fun with it  Big grin

UK, Poland, The Netherlands, Ukraine, Italy, Japan, Romania, Australia, etc. has troops committed in Iraq - I don't think we would have that kind of support if we've "alienated" them. And it's not like these spats are irreconcilable - in the end we will kiss and make-up with France, Germany, Russia, etc.
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:15 pm

Re: UK, Poland, The Netherlands, Ukraine, Italy, Japan, Romania, Australia, etc. has troops committed in Iraq - I don't think we would have that kind of support if we've "alienated" them

The Governments of those countries may not be alienated, but the people by and large (not sure about the Eastern European countries) are. Do not expect many of these countries' governments to get behind any similiar future unilateral endeavours against Iran, Syria and the rest of the Axis of Evil. Once bitten, twice voted out of office ! Look what happened in Spain.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Alpha 1

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:20 pm

ROTFL. Even a hardened anti-Bush man like myself has to laugh at that line. It's hardly near "depression standards". It's not even in a recession. But it certainly isn't the greatest economy of all-time, as our Bush apologists on here would have us believe, either. They scoff at the economic boom in the 90's, which created millions of jobs, while this one still sees jobs leaving the country.

Depression? Get real. Best economy ever? Hardly, even though I see CFalk is spinning the party line about this economy.

Banco

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:28 pm

JGPH1A, apropos of nothing in particular (i.e my own views don't enter into it here), opinion polls in the UK show that the population have remained broadly in favour of the war in Iraq even though approval has dropped.

Certainly, there is concern, and equally there is quite a strong anti-war lobby. But I'd just be slightly careful in concluding that the US has alienated British opinion in the same way as many of the other countries you list. It isn't quite that clear cut. It certainly couldn't be put in the same category as Spain or Italy where a majority has always been against military action.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

NUAir

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:30 pm

Ummm

I can't believe Americans still hold a grudge against France. I guess it must be US embarrassment that the French have better intelligence, French intelligence has also lead to the capture of 8 of the 10 most wanted Al Qaida members. Let's not forget that the only reason for declaring war against Iraq according to the UN charter was if they were proven to be developing WMD's. France, Germany and 98% of the world was correct when they doubted US/English intelligence that could only come up with pictures of some trucks. As for the human rights BS the attacks that we keep hearing in the press about Saddam killing his own people come from the late 1980's during the Iraq-Iran war and our own intelligence showed that the chemical weapons used against the Kurds weren't even owned by Iraq but by Iran. The findings of this investigation were published in the New York Times in 1992. So far the prosecutors against Saddam have found no evidence to convict him even the Kuwait war argument doesn't hold as most Iraqis believe Kuwait still should belong to Iraq.

If the US really went to war with Iraq for human rights and "freedom" (lets not even get into the fact that Iraq is quickly falling into a secular society where they are going to lose many of the few freedoms they had under Hussein) then we would have also been in Sudan 2 years ago, Liberia last year and Cote D'Ivoire 3 years ago where the people are actually fighting for freedom and democracy not condoning it like they are in Iraq.

"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

Alpha 1

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:40 pm

The "human rights" and "getting rid of an evil dictator" arguments ring hollow when placed against what's going on in the rest of that region, in Africa, an SE Asia. Even the "well, he had the POTENTIAL" (we've gone from, in winter of 2003 from him absolutely having them, according to the Administration, to the potential to make them. Interesting isn't it?), rings hollow when other nations even more dangerous than Iraq ever was DOES have WMD (DRPK, China, Pakistan), or is actively seeking them (Iran). Why aren't we after them? Why Iraq?

And the thing is, our friends on the right cannot effectively answer that question, because it embarrasses the Administration That Is Never Wrong.

The war will go down as one of the biggest blunders in modern American history. It's accomplished nothing, and will continue to accomplish nothing.

HOMER71

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:48 pm

The way I see it: Better to have removed a murderous dictator and find no WMDs than to leave a murderous dictator alone and finding out (the hard way) there are WMDs...
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

NUAir

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:53 pm

Who said Bush was bad for the Economy??

Ever US Oil Company has posted record profits in 9 quarters that Bush has been in office. ExxonMobil just hit another record with $5.8 billion profit in the second quarter!

Maybe its because we helped them so much with the energy bill that provided $20 billion in much need tax breaks to our struggling energy industry  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Another accomplishment is that the Bush administration has brought down alternative fuels funding to its lowest level in 30 years!

L410Turbolet

Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:56 pm

lets not even get into the fact that Iraq is quickly falling into a secular society where they are going to lose many of the few freedoms they had under Hussein

Secular? I thought the danger was Iraq turning into a theocracy like Iran... Confused Confused Confused

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:03 pm

Re: opinion polls in the UK show that the population have remained broadly in favour of the war in Iraq even though approval has dropped.

I don't think you can really argue against getting rid of Saddam, bottom line he was an evil psycho gobshite. No doubt polls in the UK reflect at least the notion that its a good thing he's gone. Also, the fact that there are actually British soldiers on the ground fighting and dying, whatever the reason, is likely in the UK to swing support round at least a bit.

But I maintain that having come so badly unglued on the Iraqi intelligence dossiers and the WMD thing, the UK and other coalition goverments are going to have a much much harder sell on any future non-UN-approved military adventures against the likes of Iran or Syria.

Boeing7E7

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:17 pm

In a time of war and post major event.

Not in terms of real dollars.

You put a price on freedom? Clearly you don't understand the cost of freedom.

Now that's a load of crap. Largest growth rate in history in a post 9/11 environement that has cost America billions.

We oustource fewer jobs than we insource.

Hardly. They have chosen to alienate themselves because there was no financial gain for them by going into Iraq.

Umm... No. There's another whopper.

officers their jobs

Yet another myth. It's additional funding. And had Clinton handled number 9 we wouldn't need the COPS program. Furthermore, the reduction in program expansion was because Cities are using the money for everything but hiring additional officers because they spent like mad during the .com boom and now don't have the means to pay for it.

9- not only was he was in office when the country's deadliest act of domestic terrorism occurred but, as we approach the 3rd anniversary of that event, he has failed to bring the mastermind of the murder of 3000 people on
American soil to justice

Could have been done by Clinton pre-9/11 if he had a pair.

NUAir

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:20 pm

Secular -

Reacting to secular dogmatism, populist Islamic groups have advanced a conception of the state that, while different in substance, is similar in purpose and form to the very secular state they oppose. Like Muslim secularists, Islamic populists see the state as an instrument in the hands of ruling powers for imposing a particular conception of the world on the rest of society. They insist, therefore, that the Islamic state should be charged with the duty of imposing Islamic law on the larger society.

Theocracy-

"Theocracy" has been explained by the Oxford Advanced Learner's Encyclopedic Dictionary as: “(country with a) system of government by priests or a priestly class in which the laws of the state are believed to be the laws of God”

I think that while many people fear Iraq turning into a theocracy the reality is that it will more resemble a strict secular state...but I guess only time will tell. Either way I would give it a 100% chance that strict muslim laws will be imposed on the people of Iraq.

itsjustme

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:21 pm

First, kudos to all who have contributed thus far for keeping this thread in the spirit it was intended. Also, you are to be commended for refraining from turning this into a topic with negative connotations. Keep up the good work.

That being said, I have yet to see anyone bring to light some of President Bush's positive accomplishments since taking office. Accomplishments that have made an improvement on our life in America. A few have disputed the negative impact I feel he has had but I have yet to see anything positive documented that the Bush Administration has brought to the table since taking office. I guess one thing would be removing Saddam Hussein from office and bringing him to justice although some might say this has actually had a negative impact on our lifestyle as Americans given the elevated terror activity since we took that initiative.

Oh, someone asked for a source for the President's plans to cut off the federal funding to the COPS program. That was in TIME Magazine 3-4 weeks ago and former President Clinton also mentioned it during his speech at the Democratic National Convention. Neither President Bush or anyone from his staff have disputed this fact.

NUAir

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:27 pm

..back to accomplishments

3 of the 5 US major oil companies were able to declare a majority of their taxable income in Aruba and the Bahamas during the Bush administration decreasing their tax burden and helping to increase shareholder wealth.

If you were an investor in any of those companies that was a huge accomplishment  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

jamesag96

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:29 pm

Does Cut = Reduction of increase to you Itsjustme?

I hear that a lot from the left these days.

"I have yet to see anyone bring to light some of President Bush's positive accomplishments since taking office."

That is an interesting comment since your original 9 points were picked apart one by one.

Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

vafi88

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:34 pm

You put a price on freedom? Clearly you don't understand the cost of freedom.

So freedom now means going into a country without a reason or just a suspicion and getting our troops killed as well as killing many civillians
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Alpha 1

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:38 pm

You put a price on freedom?

Who's freedom? Mine? This war certainly isn't being fought for MY freedom, which I thought was the reason for US Troops in the first place. This has nothing to do with my freedom.

They have chosen to alienate themselves because there was no financial gain for them by going into Iraq.

ROTFL. There's a wonderful re-writing of history. WE alienated them because George W. Bush wanted to go to war, and he was willing to do ANYTHING to get it in Iraq. He steamrolled our allies and the UN, and didn't think twice of it, and now, he has the nerve to tell these people they have a moral duty to help in Iraq, after he cause the present mess.

WE alienated them becuase they didn't see eye-to-eye with us. With this Administration, which is never wrong, remember, if you don't agree, you're an enemy.

Nice revisionist history, but it's lie, what you typed.

This president has certainly not earned a 2nd term, although there's enough people who have delusions that he does for some reason.

Boeing7E7

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:53 pm

Now I know why people often call you a fool.

[Edited 2004-08-03 15:54:18]

Alpha 1

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:59 pm

Is that the best you can do? If that's all you have in your aresenal, you're pretty lame on comebacks!  Laugh out loud

If you want to see "fool", look in the mirror, and listen to yourself kiss the rear end of GWB. It will become clear to you then.

Next time, try a little harder at comebacks. You might get somehwere.

itsjustme

Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:01 pm

Does Cut = Reduction of increase to you Itsjustme?

Huh? If you'll clarify what this question means, I will be happy to respond.

I hear that a lot from the left these days.

You've made not only an unfair assumption but one that is incorrect as well.

"I have yet to see anyone bring to light some of President Bush's positive accomplishments since taking office."

That is an interesting comment since your original 9 points were picked apart one by one.

Picked apart perhaps, but in most if not all cases, they were picked apart by using facts, or more appropriately opinions that were in turn disputed by other posters. I'd call that a draw.

So, again I ask, what has President Bush done since taking office that has enhanced our life styles as Americans? Can anyone provide an answer to what I see is a simple question? For example, has he created more American jobs, has he made our air cleaner to breathe, has he made our country a safer place to reside in, is my dollar worth more today in this country than it was prior to January 2001?

jamesag96

Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:21 pm

"...and listen to yourself kiss the rear end of GWB."

I think Alpha used to be a high quality poster...but then all of the rhetoric did something to him. Everyone that disagrees with him "Kisses the rear end of GWB" or is a "boy", or better yet his "Son". Surprised he hasn't brought that arrow out of the quiver yet. Kinda sad.

"Does Cut = Reduction of increase to you Itsjustme?"

"Huh? If you'll clarify what this question means, I will be happy to respond."

I'll slow it down for you...if the federal government is going to increase spending for roads by $10, but then the Admin reduces the increase to $8...it is still an increase in spending.

"I hear that a lot from the left these days."

"You've made not only an unfair assumption but one that is incorrect as well."

If you didn't understand my question how can you make that comment?

A reduction of increased spending by $2 is not a 20% cut...which is the logic I hear form the left.

"Picked apart perhaps, but in most if not all cases, they were picked apart by using facts, or more appropriately opinions that were in turn disputed by other posters. I'd call that a draw."

Um...O.K.

j.mo

Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:32 pm

The answer to your question is simply...none.

Jamesag96 says your points were picked apart but, the consensus was Bush actually did NOTHING to further America.

A waste of 4 years that people want to repeat. I really do not understand peoples fanaticism over defending this President.

Turn off FOX and Limbaugh and think for yourself people.

Jeremy

Boeing7E7

Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:54 pm

Is that the best you can do? If that's all you have in your aresenal, you're pretty lame on comebacks!

You have a belief system. It's pointless to argue with you because regardless what is said, you will disagree unless it agrees with your beliefs. In other words, you're a waste of time.

Alpha 1

Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:55 pm

I think Alpha used to be a high quality poster...but then all of the rhetoric did something to him. Everyone that disagrees with him "Kisses the rear end of GWB" or is a "boy", or better yet his "Son". Surprised he hasn't brought that arrow out of the quiver yet. Kinda sad.

Actually, what is kinda sad, James, is the fact they you, and a host of others on here, will explain away and excuse anything the man does-anything. He was a horrible Governor, and he's no better as President, yet you seem to think he's done so much to deserve 4 more years. Rarely do you use any facts, but just excuses. That's what is kinda sad.

If starting a pre-emptive war, one based on bad intel, and one that the excused for going to war change with the seasons, is the best he can do; a so-so economy, where jobs are being outsourced, and new jobs being created are at lower wages than the jobs are lost is the best he can do; if the incredible secrecy about EVERYTHING this Administration does, and the fact that even on energy policy, decisions are cloaked in secrecy, is the best he can do; if treating the loyal opposition in the U.S., and our friends abroad like enemies because they don't agree with Administration policy is the best he can do, the you tell me, what are the positives?

L.1011

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:13 am

Look, the War in Iraq is like all our military weapons systems. It's 10 times better to buy 1,000 fighters and have them never see any action besides an airshow, than to get attacked and not have them. As said above, it's better to get rid of Saddam and not find WMDs, than to leave him alone and find that he HAS them and now he's planning on hitting US allies like Kuwait, the UAE, Oman, Jordan, Israel, Turkey, Djibouti, etc. Better safe than sorry. If those fighters I talked about never get used, we just retire them when they get too old. If we don't have them in a war, well...disaster. If we don't end up finding WMDs from Saddam, we've still given 27 million people freedom. If we didn't go in there, and he had the WMDs, he could kill as many.

jaysit

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:13 am

In the rather empty wasteland of Bush II's tenure, there is one achievement I can cite: The President signed into effect the new Medicare Modernization Act of 2003. Although, the bill was largely a Congressional initiative and filled with SOPs to the Insurance industry, there are some legislative achievements within the bill that promise seniors access to some prescription drugs. Interestingly, the efforts were bipartisan: Sen. Kennedy worked with Sen. Frist - and the White House - to bring Democrats and Republicans initially opposed to the bill to vote for it, and Bush signed it into law.

Bush has also resisted efforts by the far right fringe of his party to dump Alan Greenspan.

I cannot for the life of me think of anything else that this President has achieved.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

jamesag96

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:20 am

"...yet you seem to think he's done so much to deserve 4 more years."

When the choice is Bush or Kerry...yeah I think Bush would be the better man. But that really isn't much choice is it? You put Lieberman in that mix and I pick him...but the Dem Party has gone too far left with its flirtations with Dean and ultimate settling for two huge liberal Senators with no Senate record of repute.

You don't put anything in context, which has become your signature move.

A pre-emptive war was started because of intel received from our own intelligence agencies, the British, the Germans, the Russians, the UN, and yes even our long time "Allies" the French. This intel coupled with a heightened sense of urgency following 9/11 led this admin and the country down the path it is on. The UN's own resolution had to be enforced.

The economy-as has been talked about time and time again on here and elsewhere-began its downfall at the end of 2000, only to be worsened by the attacks on 9/11. It started to finally come around late last year and continues to get stronger into this year.

"...where jobs are being outsourced..."
Come on Alf, you know better than that.
Jobs are going to be outsourced, in fact more are insourced than outsourced.

"...and new jobs being created are at lower wages than the jobs are lost..."
Sounds like an attack on a Free Market System...would you rather we all Made $50,000?

Alpha 1

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:23 am

L.1011, that's as flawed logic as I've ever read. Based on that logic-again-why don't we go after the DRPK, China, Iraq, Syria, etc, who HAVE WMD or who ARE actively seeking them? What about freeing all those people?

The fact is it wasn't about freeing 27 million people into anarchy, as we have done-it was about George W. Bush determined to go to war, to boost his re-election chances. Bullshit, you'll say? Then you explain the circus-stunt on the carrier, with the "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" sign behind him. You REALLY believe that was just for the morale of the troops? If you believe that, you're incredibly naive. This whole thing was designed to boost his chances for a 2nd term, and now, that it's not the free pass you and he thought it would be, but instead could be a politically fatal albatross around his neck, you still search for valid reasons to start a war on a nation that was not at war with us, and had offered not one threat to us.

The fact remains, this was was, in, and always will be a mistake. Close to 1000 Americans have died in an attempt to get George W. Bush a 2nd term in the Oval Office. That's what it was about. The WMD story turned out to be false; all the other reasons are just face-saving for a President who, in his own mind, has never been wrong on anything, and who saw his dream of a quick war and easy re-election fading.

luisca

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:24 am

Go back to the topic

1. Tax cuts that have promoted the most economic growth in the history of the US, and witch stopped the ongoing recession.

2. NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND witch has made educators more acountable and parents more in control of their education. Teachers are now acountable for the performance of their students.

3. Department of Homeland security witch makes the process of defending the US much more streamlined.

4. The airline bailout witch saved the airlines from certain banckruptcy.

5. More pay and pension funds for American soldiers and veterans (kerry tries to say that he is for veterans, but the veteran vote is polling almost 2 to 1 for bush.)

6. The most significan medicar reform in more than a decade, with prescription drug bennefits.

7. Partial birth abortion ban, a sick procedure witch most poeple that agree with abortion dissagree with where the baby is born alive to seconds later be killed, only 10 senators voted against the ban , Kerry and Edwards both voted against

And MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE

GO W

[Edited 2004-08-03 17:36:05]
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

JAL777

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:25 am

Based on that logic-again-why don't we go after the DRPK, China, Iraq, Syria, etc, who HAVE WMD or who ARE actively seeking them?

So what is your saying is that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and we should have gone after them???  Big thumbs up

Alpha 1

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:29 am

Cute, JAL777. I got a good laugh out of that.

You know what I mean-why don't we go after those nations that HAVE these weapons ,or who are actively seeking them, instead of wasting our time, money and GI's in a place where there were none within the past 6 or 7 years, where it's been shown there was barely any research going on, let along wepaons-bulding, and where the real threat to the U.S. didn't reside.

teva

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:29 am

One of the greatest achievemnts of a president who says he is guided by God?
Christians are persecuted in Countries where they have been living for milleniums.
(The bombs in the Churches in Iraq, but also persecution in all the middleeastern countries where Christians were present beofre the Muslims, such as Egypt, Syria, ...)
I have heard this morning on an international radio that most of the Christians living in those countries try to move to other places, because they fear for their lives.
For those who do not remember, even Saddam had christian ministers.
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

itsjustme

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:33 am

I'll slow it down for you...if the federal government is going to increase spending for roads by $10, but then the Admin reduces the increase to $8...it is still an increase in spending.

Jamesag96, perhaps I shouldn't have used big words like "enhanced' when I tried to clarify my question because you have yet to answer it. What you have done, however, in your 2 responses, is managed to completely skirt my question.

So, again I ask that, in plain, simple English and in a manner in which even us slow people can understand, please outline what President Bush has done to improve our lives in the United States in the nearly 4 years he has been in office. I don't know how much simpler I can make this for you. Don't resort to clouding the issue by telling me that my 9 points were picked apart and don't answer my question with another question. Doing so tells me you can't answer my question and all you'll be doing is wasting your time as well as that of anyone reading your response.

itsjustme

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:43 am

Luisca, I just read your post. Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. A simple response to a simple question. And you managed to respond without resorting to name calling or being condescending to others who have responded. Thanks again.

L.1011

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:17 am

Alpha,

L.1011, that's as flawed logic as I've ever read. Based on that logic-again-why don't we go after the DRPK, China, Iraq, Syria, etc, who HAVE WMD or who ARE actively seeking them? What about freeing all those people?

First off Alpha, I think you can see how President Bush invaded Iraq instead of Iran. Secondly, did I ever say I didn't want to?  Big thumbs up One evil dictatorship at a time, please.

The fact is it wasn't about freeing 27 million people into anarchy, as we have done

Anarchy? Please. Law and order is rapidly returning to the country. If you'd been under Saddam's iron fist for 30 years and now had all the freedoms Americans had, would you be "orderly" the first few months? Of course not! You'd live it up. That is dying down now.

it was about George W. Bush determined to go to war, to boost his re-election chances.

Hmmm. Getting into a war is grounds for re-election? As we've seen, if you hated Bush you hate Iraqi Freedom, and if you like Bush you like Iraqi Freedom. I don't see any improvement to his chances.

hen you explain the circus-stunt on the carrier, with the "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" sign behind him. You REALLY believe that was just for the morale of the troops?

Why else would he do it? It's became obvious to the American people very quickly that that wasn't the case, and his re-election chances haven't budged. President Bush wanted to rally the troops. Pure and simple. Not call them war criminals *cough*Kerry. Sorry, I just had to.  Big thumbs up

If you believe that, you're incredibly naive.

LOL. I'm sure. You're the naive one for believing that everything President Bush does is for his own personal gain because he has an (R) next to his name.

This whole thing was designed to boost his chances for a 2nd term

Yawn. Proof please?

but instead could be a politically fatal albatross around his neck

Yeah considering how Maine, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are now tossups, uh huh, we're really doing badly.

you still search for valid reasons to start a war on a nation that was not at war with us, and had offered not one threat to us.

How'd you like to have your wife raped in front of you by professional rapists on Saddam's payroll because you didn't vote for Saddam? Sorry to tell you, but if you don't support Iraqi Freedom, you support allowing that to continue, pure and simple.

Close to 1000 Americans have died in an attempt to get George W. Bush a 2nd term in the Oval Office. That's what it was about

Gee that sounds original. What's that the 627,000th time the left has said that? I'd like to see how you'd handle North Korea, Iran, and all these countries we "should have" invaded instead. I love how one week you guys and Kerry are whining about "WE SHOULD ONLY GO TO WAR WHEN WE HAVE TO!" and the next week it's we should have invaded these countries instead! And you say he doesn't flip-flop. Uh huh.

The WMD story turned out to be false

I still prefer listening to our intelligence, France's, the UN's, and screwing up, than have it be right without action by us. Once the Scuds are pointed at Jerusalem, or Amman, or Dubai, or Kuwait City, or Istanbul, it's too late.

all the other reasons are just face-saving for a President who, in his own mind, has never been wrong on anything

That's good. I'm glad the President does what he believes in, rather than Kerry's strategy of pandering to whatever way the political winds are blowing that week.

Luisca,

Tax cuts that have promoted the most economic growth in the history of the US, and witch stopped the ongoing recession.

OK, not the best in the history of the US, but in 20 years, yes. And yes, the recession was stopped by the tax cuts.

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND witch has made educators more acountable and parents more in control of their education. Teachers are now acountable for the performance of their students.

Yup.

Department of Homeland security witch makes the process of defending the US much more streamlined.

Ummm....hate to say it, but no. The TSA is not streamlined in the slightest bit.

The airline bailout witch saved the airlines from certain banckruptcy.

Uh huh.

but the veteran vote is polling almost 2 to 1 for bush.)

Of course, same among servicemen and women, because they all KNOW that Democrats hate the military and think it's "evil".

The most significan medicar reform in more than a decade, with prescription drug bennefits.

Of course, the Dems HATE to admit it.

Partial birth abortion ban, a sick procedure witch most poeple that agree with abortion dissagree with where the baby is born alive to seconds later be killed, only 10 senators voted against the ban , Kerry and Edwards both voted against

In fact, Kerry voted against it four times.

Alpha,

You know what I mean-why don't we go after those nations that HAVE these weapons ,or who are actively seeking them, instead of wasting our time, money and GI's in a place where there were none within the past 6 or 7 years, where it's been shown there was barely any research going on, let along wepaons-bulding, and where the real threat to the U.S. didn't reside.

Gladly! I'd love to kick some commie ass!

jamesag96

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:23 am

I wasn't skirting your question...I was pointing out that your initial points were incorrect and then followed with a specific question regarding your 8th point...to which you have still failed to answer.

"Don't resort to clouding the issue by telling me that my 9 points were picked apart and don't answer my question with another question. Doing so tells me you can't answer my question and all you'll be doing is wasting your time as well as that of anyone reading your response."

Grow up, you can't come on here spout a bunch of bullshit and then expect to get a free ride.

jaysit

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:23 am

"The most significan medicar reform in more than a decade, with prescription drug bennefits.

Of course, the Dems HATE to admit it."

As usual, you people need to grow up and learn a few things before you parrot off crap from GOP Blog sites and then throw in some nonsense about the Dems.
First of all, the Medicare Act would not have passed without Democratic support. Bush was against many of the provisions in the Medicare Act because of the opposition to it by PhRMA, the big pharmaceutical lobbying organization that has pumped millions into his campaign. He came on board and agreed to sign it only after many of the provisions had been scaled back. The MMA is reform, but not significant. It is a good first step, but not one that will have to be fully retooled to be effective.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

JGPH1A

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:26 am

RE: Anarchy? Please. Law and order is rapidly returning to the country. If you'd been under Saddam's iron fist for 30 years and now had all the freedoms Americans had, would you be "orderly" the first few months? Of course not! You'd live it up. That is dying down now

Do you actually watch the news ? The real news, I mean, not Fox. Have you not noticed the HUGE numbers of suicide bombings, car bombings etc etc that are happening in Iraq every day ? You put this down to "high spirits" following their release from Saddam's rule ? HELLOOOO !!! More than 1000 US and coalition servicemen and 1000's of civilians have DIED as a result of these high spirits ? Get a clue....

Alpha 1

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:30 am

Oops. Meant to put Iran in there, not Iraq. I guess fingers type according to headlines.  Big grin Since the 30-minute time limit up to change my faux pas has passed, I'll change it here: IRAN!!  Laugh out loud

Law and order is rapidly returning to the country.

Sure, that's why there are suicide bombing every day; that's why Fallujah is a hot zone against the U.S. Sure, returning law and order. Right.

I don't see any improvement to his chances.

Neither do I. In fact, his chances are lessened because of the continuing fighting in Iraq. But looking at everything that has happened since 3/19/03, it's clear to me that:

1. The Administration expected to be in and out of Iraq in no time. One reason we were so self-assured at virtually going it alone, troop-wise, was that the Administration didn't expect to still be there, 100 days before the '04 election.

2. They had no exit strategy for 2003, again, because they thought it would be in and out of country, that we would be welcomed with open arms, and that there were a bevy of able people that could steer Iraq into freedom, which hasn't materialized yet.

3. The "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" fiasco, and the stunt in landing on a carrier the way he did, was, no doubt, intended to be a re-election commercial for Bush. Funny, though, that the war went on, and Bush didn't get to use it. Why the Dems haven't used it, is beyond me, but I certainly would have.

This war was revenge for the Bush family; it was meant to boost his re-election chances. That's so obvious, that it's amazing that anyone on here needs it pointed out to him/her.

Yeah considering how Maine, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are now tossups, uh huh, we're really doing badly.

And you're crowing about that, a year after Conservatives were on here yelling "landslide!", and saying Bush was a shoe-in, you now hang your hopes on toss-up states that have a terrifically good chance of voting for Kerry, because of the economic problems in the states you mentioned.

You are doing badly, for a President that, according to you, has run a great war; for a president that allegedly has the greatest economy of all time in his favor; for a president that is "decisive" and has "values". For a president who's party waltzed to huge victories in the '02 mid-term elections.

If you're cheered by this, maybe you should re-evaluate the election, my friend.

Sorry to tell you, but if you don't support Iraqi Freedom, you support allowing that to continue, pure and simple.

The old, tired, nauseating "if you're not for what we're doing, you're against it." What utter horse shit. I was certainly not for Saddam Hussein, but I was not for going to war over phantom WMD, and against a nation that couldn't have won a war against Kuwait. I support Iraqi freedom, but I support it with them making it happen, not with us dictating it to them.

I have to go to work. I'll respond to the rest of your nauseating idiocies later, L-1011. Now go kiss your George W. Bush photo, and salute him one more time.

Continental

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:30 am

"You put a price on freedom? Clearly you don't understand the cost of freedom."

Last time I checked we were free. Did it change overnight!?

yhmfan

Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:38 am

The following is a comprehensive list of GWB's positive accomplishments:

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

EA CO AS

Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:17 am

Turn off FOX and Limbaugh and think for yourself people.

So if my opinions differ from yours I'm just not thinking for myself? Is THAT how this works?  Nuts

I guess I must not be capable of independent thought - Fox News Channel and Rush Limbaugh do my thinking for me, right? Please.

I find it interesting that you'd have people "think for themselves," but only if those thoughts happen to coincide with yours.  Yeah sure

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Boeing757/767

Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:46 am

Yhmfan, you forgot one.

Um, I'm thinking, thinking, thinking.

Nope, you're right. I'm coming up empty.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

Boeing7E7

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:53 am