L-188
Topic Author

Aussies Think Up Another Way To Make French Cringe

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:32 am

Caught this story on the news tonight.....it apparently actually introduced last year but is just now getting to the point of mass marketing.

Well I might be overgeneralizing at the expensive of the national psyche of the French, but I think it is safe to say that they are very serious about their wines, and their wine should come it a bottle!

For years now we have had boxed wines in the states.

But now a new question faces the world, will the French drink wine in a can?

The good folks at Gowrie Mountain Estate winery, have started to can their wines. That is right, you can now get wine in a can.

Will it sell in France? Only time will tell.

http://www.aluminum.org/ANTemplate.cfm?IssueDate=05/01/2003&Template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7157
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

SlamClick

RE: Aussies Think Up Another Way To Make French Cringe

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:38 am

French wines were sold in a can in some parts of southeast Asia back in the 1960s. Don't know about since then.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Matt D

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:39 am

Anyone who annoys the French is definitely a friend of mine.

Wink/being sarcastic

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:41 am

I hate French politics as much as the next guy but....wine in a can? Dat ain't right!
E pur si muove -Galileo

Leskova

Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:14 pm

Wine in a can? Sorry, but there really only is one word for that: YUCK!!!!
Smile - it confuses people!

ZKSUJ

Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:17 pm

Hmmmmmmm interesting. It would be very eye opening to see how this venture turns out.

707CMF

RE: Aussies Think Up Another Way To Make French Cr

Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:21 pm

Wine in can ? Probably never in France. Back when I was working in the UK? on of my brits co-workers decided to bring a can of wine to drink while having his lunch at his desk.

Unfortunately for him, we were a lot of French People in that company, and we gace him quite a hard time treasing him how it was not possible to drink wine that way !

Cheers,

mdsh00

Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:48 pm

Wine in can ? Probably never in France.

Ah but I recall a news special about wines which said that some French winemakers are starting to use screw-tops as opposed to corks. THAT is heresy!
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Bronko

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:05 pm

Washington state is second only to California as far as wine production is concerned in the US. I was visiting a winery, and they were saying up to 5% of a production run can be ruined due to corks going bad.

Imagine saving a very expensive bottle, opening years later on a special occasion and pouring vinegar. If a screw top will save that, I say screw the cork!
Jet City Aviation Photography

JGPH1A

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:46 pm

You can get wine in just about any container you care to name in France. Bottles, screwcap bottles, plastic bottles with foil caps, boxes. Believe me, the vin tres ordinaire has to be sealed with foil, because it dissolves cork !
You can also buy Californian, Chilean, German, Italian, Spanish, South African, Australian and New Zealand wine at my local Carrefour. I think by and large the French have got over their desperate chauvinism about wine.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

mdsh00

Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:02 pm

This reminds me of a time when I tried this Bordeaux imported from France. I wish I remembered the name of it because it was probably the best wine I've ever tried, follwed by this California Merlot called Indigo Hills.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

ben

Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:04 pm

We have been able to buy French wine in a can from Tesco here for years.

It's always in the smallish tall cans (like you get Red Bull) and always generally low quality.

I often buy it for cooking when I don't want to open a whole bottle of good wine just for a few drops in a recipe.

We also get wine in big plastic bottles like the ones you get cheap cider in, in the USA.