won the politically charged Asia cup.

The crowd burned Japanese flags and called for boycotts of Japanese goods
after the defending champions' 3-1 win.

Regards,
AMS

galaxy5

RE: China Loss To Japan Sparks Protest

Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:17 am

Geez, its only a game, sometimes i wonder if its really worth all the hassle and heartache, having these international games.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

whitehatter

Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:22 am

The Chinese take their football seriously!

The Chinese player that plays at Manchester City is treated like some kind of god when he goes home.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

mdsh00

Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:23 am

I wonder what would happen if the Chinese played the English.  Laugh out loud
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

a380

Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:27 pm

The Japanese invaded China from 1931 to 1945 and committed numerous atrocities in China. Japan still denies its war crimes today (encouraged by America) and does not even admit it invaded China (compared it to the Germans) Chinese people have ample reasons to be angry with Japan.

L-188

Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:35 pm

It isn't about the soccer, it is about the Japanese atrocities in Chine from 31 to 45 like A380 said. However Japan is not being encouraged by the US to deny those claims. In fact there have been several rows with the US over Japanese textbooks that play down the Pearl Harbor attack and play up the Japanese deaths because of the Atom bombs.

Even before the match the authorities where out trying to calm the masses down and trying to put on a lot of extra security before the game.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

a380

Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:45 pm

L-188, the US had secretly pardoned the leaders of the notorious Japanese '731 squadron' which conducted germ experiments on live humans. In return those pardoned war criminals had to hand over their experiment results to the US. Many other war criminals were pardoned in the 50s because America badly needed a new Japanese leadership to counter the threat of the USSR. But you are correct on the atomic bomb issue, I think the Japanese play it up without mentioning its own atrocities.

Btw I don't think the Chinese authorities even needed to respond to so-called Japanese official 'concerns'. If you are the guest team on other people's turf you are expected to be booed - the players must know better than the politicians.

MD11Engineer

Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:50 pm

The problem is that after WW2, though there was a brief period comparable to the denazification in Germany, the old elites mainly big traditional business leaders, the Zaibatsu, and bureaucrats) were put back into power after the Korean war started. These elites, through the Liberal Democratic Party LDP, have been running the country more or less continiously for the last 60 years and have been censoring Japanese schoolbooks to play down their role in the atrocities of WW2 and before. Even today there are many young Japanese shocked if they get confronted with the true history of WW2. A few Japanese, who were in favour of accepting the guilt, like theformer mayor of Nagasaki, were threatened, or in the case of this mayor, gunned down by a right wing Yakuza gangster.

Another thing is, that while inner Japanese opposition was persecuted and incarcerated by the Though Police (mostly Communists) in the early years of the Japanese military dictatorship prior to WW2, there was (unlike Germany and Italy) very little political emigration.
In Germany, on the other hand, there was a pool of highly motivated emigrants available, who spent the war in Allied countries, often fighting as Allied soldiers, who were able to take over key posts. Japan never had a figure like the German ex chancellor Willy Brandt, who´s kneefall in Warsaw was credible, because he fought on the Allied side himself.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

pacificjourney

Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:05 pm

Nobody thinks Japan is a country of 2 faced hypocrits more than I but these latest events have nothing to do with the events of over 60 years ago.

They are related to China's knowing how sensitive the Japanese governemt and society is to such protests and their willingness to bring up the war at any oppurtunity to twist Tokyo's arm. The current to do is over some worthless islands which both countries claim as their own and China wanting to weasel more cash out of Japan.

Does anyone here think the damage done to China by Japan is any worse than that done by the Mongols, the western powers, the Kwomintang, the communists, the civil war, the cultural revolution or almost any lame idea from Mao tse Dung ... Oh and 15 centuries of auotcratic rule by the chinese themselves of course ?

A side issue is as I said earlier, penis size, metaphorically at least. All Asians are inherantly racist against other Asians and no one (except perhaps the Koreans) has a bigger chip on their shoulder about a lack of achievement in the world than China. In short they are jealous of Japan, sounds pathetic I know but ....

Normally I wouldn't support Japan in this game but this time I'm glad they won !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

L-188

Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:08 pm

Oh I am not saying that there isn't some serious history revision going on in Japan Jan.

I am just saying that it isn't appropriate to blame the US, because we have bitched about some of the shots that they took at us.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MD11Engineer

Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:50 pm

Maaybe the fault of the US back in the late 40s early 50s is that the conversion process wasn´t finished, but, since the old Japanese elites were also strictly anti-communist, they were suddenly seen as allies. Much the same happened when the Bundeswehr and the intelligence services in Germany were built up. Many of the first officers and NCOs in the Bundeswehr back then had a Nazi history. The same applied to administrators and civil servants.

Or the problem of allowing the French and the Dutch back into their old colonies Vietnam and Indonesia, even though they themselves have been kicked out by the Japanese, leaving the local population to fend for themselves (with American and British help). After the locals had kicked out the Japanese, suddenly the colonial powers came back (against Roosevelt´s wishes), demanding authoritarian rule, because they were needed as allies in the beginning cold war in Europe.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

JeffM

Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:06 pm

I say let them have a rematch on Spike TV's "Most Painful Elimination" and see what happens.

AWspicious

Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:25 pm

"I say let them have a rematch on Spike TV's "Most Painful Elimination" and see what happens."

With your hosts, Kenny Blankenship and... (I always forget the other dude's name)  Laugh out loud
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

LHMark

Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:50 pm

The other guy's name is Vic Romano.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

galaxy5

Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:54 pm

I knew it, some how, some one would find a way to try to Blame the US, for a riot after a soccer match Between China and Japan. Wow the wonders never cease.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

QIguy24

Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:04 pm

There is too much politics in sports IMO. And that's really a shame. Just look at this game.

And I remember back in the WC 98' in France when USA met IRAN. That was also a political game unfortunatly.

a380

Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:11 am

Pacificjourney,
If the Japanese apologized their WWII war crimes like the Germans did, I believe there won't be such sentiments. Do Jews still protest Nazi war crimes in WWII? None as far as I saw because the Germans had apologized profusely and made compensations.

pacificjourney

Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:45 pm

No arguement from me, I'm just saying public opinion in China over this issue is highly managed to say the least and that many issues are involved, not just the war history.

Japan could apologise for ever and the Chinese would still hate them (and vice-versa).

Spaceman

Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:14 pm

Japanese people are the biggest dicks I've ever known.  Big grin

pacificjourney

Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:24 pm

Spaceman is Chinese, my point proven thank you.

KROC

Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:39 pm

Nothing says Soccer like a massive riot. Well done as always Soccer Fan.

JGPH1A

Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:52 pm

Re: let them have a rematch on Spike TV's "Most Painful Elimination"

That is the funniest show on US TV - it's hilarious ! The rip-off is a riot, but the actual show its based on must be the lamest show ever.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers