After reading Matt_D's post, I have to strongly dissagree with him. I consider myself a Right Winger, but after reading Alpha_1's post on being a centristt I actually agreed with him on most things, something I have NEVER done Before. This post is to show what in my oppinion is the new approach of the Republican Party.
I have always considered liberals better in promoting social agendas, and I am proud to say that President Bush has been one of the first republicans to apply a concept that has been buzing around for some time, Compasionate Conservatism.
If people continue to believe that being a 1950's ultra conservative white republican is valid in the 21st century they are completly wrong. The republican party and many of its members are wrong in a LOT of things, in my oppion GW Bush is doing a lot to improve things. This is my view of conservatism in the 21st century.
1. All people should have equal rights, but i do not believe in afirmative action becouse it goes against the rights of one group of citizens to benefit the other.
2. I believe that we should return to educating values, giving out condoms in school is not going to solve the unwanted pregnancy/AIDS problem. Only if we teach our children to have firm moral values are we going to solve this problem. Of course we should teach them about anti-conceptive methods, but from a more scientific point of view instead of the "Its ok, wear a rubber and do whatever you wont idea".
3. The same applies to abortion. Today, the availability of abortion so easilly makes it almost like a backup, causing people to be sloopy in protecting themselve becouse they know that if they screw up all they need is a visit to the doctor. Anyone that is not narrowminded can see that from the moment that the egg is fertilized, if their is no intervention, that will be a human baby, so life DOES beggin at conception, just becouse the fetus doesnt feel anything doent make it less alive. The liberla's idea that as long as it is in you can do whatever you wan is totaly stupid.
4. Social Security and Medicare are vital for society, without these programs our society would completly collapse. What would you do if your child needed medicine? If I would have to rob someone becouse my kid needs a medication to live, I would not hesitate, think what would happen to our society if the poorest of the poor couldnt recieve medical benifits.
5. Unemployement benifits OK
, Welfare, NOT OK
. Welfare is the worst Idea on the face of the earth in a capitalist society people have to work to survive, the goverment has NO responsibility to take care of bums and junkies who cant find a job becouse they are always high on crack.
6. The goverment has NO right or Duty to divide wealth, in a capitalist society you keep what you earn. Taxation should be according to what you earn, not dividing people into "rich", medium and "poor". I prefer a porcentage based system. You pay a porcentage of what you earn, you earn 20K, you pay 1000, you earn 2 million, you pay 100000. Simple and fair.
7. Liberals have to relax, if someone enjoys smoking and drinking it is their problem, not yours. I live in Panama (I am a US citizen though), where you can smoke anywhere. I am frustrated when I go the the US and I cant have a smoke while I am in a Club. Here when people go to a club they expect smoke and dont complain. last time I went they wouldn allow me to smoke on the beach and I had nobody around, AMAZING.
8. Feminist have a very distorted view of "equality", and liberals pay way to much attention to it, it is OK
to be a housewife, if the women wants to, women should have acces to all jobs and have equal pay though.
9. Immigrants enrich a countries culture and are the base of the US society. Immigrants should be welcome into the US, not shoot and hunted like foxes.
10. A tree is a tree, an animal is an animal. And it would be better if all strays were put to sleep. Millions of dollars are wasted every day in the US caring for street dogs and cats, while every 5 minutes a children dies of malnutrition in the world.
11. Gay marriage is outrageous. I supported the Ammendment, but I do believe that gays should have equal rights and Civil Unions. but MARRIAGE is between a man and a women.
12. Guns are not bad, I have a gun, I use it becouse I LOVE target shooting, I truly enjoy it, Why should I not have the right to have a gun.
13. With freedoms come responsabilities, you cant spread lies (Michael Moore for example) and then, when confronted, hide behind "freedom of speach"
Alpha_1 you should reconsider voting for W, Cheers
[Edited 2004-08-09 06:58:24]