Warning, SELF-GLOSS! Today I talked with the director of nursing at Griffin Memorial Hospital, Oklahoma's only state run Psychiatric Hospital. I was offered an internship as a PCA, (Patient Care Assistant) today!
My Tasks Include:
- Performs direct nursing tasks including taking vital signs, assisting with activities of daily living and hygiene needs, and obtaining certain lab specimens.
- Charts observations and activities, reporting pertinent changes in the patient's condition.
- Escorts patients to and from various destinations
- Assists in maintaining and providing a clean, safe environment.
- Orders, receives, and stores supplies and performs basic clerical functions
- Participates in follow-up activities and tracking clients, schedules appointments, and performs other related tasks.
- Provides case finding and recruitment of at risk persons for comprehensive health services.
- Works alongside Psychiatrist and Psychologists to provide the most intensive and comprehensive care for patients.
Anyway, it may sound stupid to some of you, but I'm really excited.