JGPH1A
Topic Author

Any "Discworld" Fans On A.net?

Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:17 pm

I discovered Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" books about 10 years ago, and have been a confirmed addict ever since. I have all his books, and buy each new one the minute it comes out. I love his humour, and his language - he is a masterful writer, with enormous wit, great characters and wonderful plots - quintessentially English.

So is anyone else on A.net a Pratchett fan ? If not, WHY not ? Discuss...
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Banco

RE: Any "Discworld" Fans On A.net?

Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:36 pm

Ah, yes. The Discworld novels.

I always think the main problem he has is that people who haven't read them see the subject matter and assume that it's Tolkien lite, whereas in reality it is darkly satirical, politically aware humour. He may yet be condemned to Jonathan Swift's fate as Gulliver's Travels was similarly targeted.

I do wonder about a world where adults will read Harry Potter but not Pratchett.  Insane
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:44 pm

I agree Banco - Pratchett is not your average "Dungeons and Dragons" fantasy writer - he's MUCH better than that. He's been compared to Dickens for the political and social awareness in his writing, and the detail and realism of his characters (and also for his prolificness !). Much as I enjoy JK Rowlings books, they are definitely childrens' books. Terry Pratchett is for grownups.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

LHMark

Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:03 pm

I'm a huge Discworld fan. It's pretty much the only fiction I read anymore. And unlike most "series" authors, his work gets better and better with each passing book.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Banco

Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:05 pm

LHmark,Isn't it only fairly recently that the Discworld books have started to catch on in America?

JGPH1A
Topic Author

Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:05 pm

Nice to see a US fan - I've often wondered how Pratchett's humour plays in the US, it being of a particularly British quirkiness.

Re his books getting better and better, yes they do, absolutlely. I can't wait for the next one "Going Postal" - preordered on Amazon.co.uk already.

LHMark

Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:10 pm

Banco, I discovered Pratchett during the release of his second Discworld novel, "The Light Fantastic," in 1989. He's gone through a couple of publishing houses since then, and the current publisher definitely sinks more money into promotion and marketing than the previous two. That probably makes a difference in US sales, but the books have been readily available.

"In the shades, curiosity not only killed the cat, it threw it in the river with weights tied to its feet."
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Klaus

Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:30 pm

I haven´t read all that many of the actual series, but I may yet get around to it over time.  Wink/being sarcastic

Well, at least I know that I don´t want to be woken up in the middle of the night by someone who´s speaking strictly in UPPERCASE...!  Big thumbs up

JGPH1A
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:55 am

RE: I don´t want to be woken up in the middle of the night by someone who´s speaking strictly in UPPERCASE...!

And his horse, Binky.

Banco

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:19 am

It seems in recent novels that Pratchett has become rather fond of Commander Vimes. I don't think that's a bad thing, selecting a normal character to counter the lunacy that goes on around him.

JGPH1A
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:23 am

Vimes is an excellent character, utterly steeped in cynicism but with a tiny part of him that's on the side of Right ! I like the character of Susan as well, she is a kind of younger, female Vimes, determined that the universe must unfold as it should, with no time for the normal human brand of woolly nonsense that keeps the rest of us from going insane.

Granny W is still my favourite though - she's unbeatable.

Banco

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:30 am

Just for a classical allusion, any cursory reading of Machiavelli's The Prince will show where Vetinari comes from. Quite a few of the ideas and techniques are lifted wholesale.