TACAA320
Topic Author

More Olympic Medals For One Country

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:53 pm

At the doors of a new Olympic Games in Athens, what is the country that won more Gold, Silver or Bronze (mixed and separate).

What's your guess also in terms of medals in this Games?

U.S.A. vs. U.K.
U.S.A. vs. China
Germany vs. France

Whatever combination and sport you want.

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

pacificjourney

RE: More Olympic Medals For One Country

Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:40 pm

Summer olympics only right ... the winter games being purely for laughs ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

L410Turbolet

Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:43 pm

USSR + GDR vs. all other countries which weren't doping that much

Andreas

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:05 pm

Ahem Turbolet you don't actually want to imply that other nations did NOT dope? Hopefully not Big grin Big grin Big grin Problem nowadays is that the USA do have much better and more efficent dope manufacturing facilities than e.g. China so they don't get caught that often. European countries could do that as well but sports isn't as high-ranking in society as in America, subsequently there's not that much to gain money-wise.

I don't quite get the original question, do you really want to know if someone actually believes the UK to grab more medals than the USA???  Yeah sure
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

L410Turbolet

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:38 pm

Andreas,
of course not! I have no illusions. That's why I wrote "doping that much" But for sure you better than I know those sometime very bizzare stories, i.e. that swimmer who suffered a complete sexual identity change due to her (now his) coaches and doctors playing with hormones. I think he was even testifying in court trial against the doctors? Or was it just a parliamentary hearing about doping involvement in the East German sports program in the 70s and 80s, which was only extreme example of what was going on in the whole Eastern bloc, where communists tried to get prestige in sports because their failing system and economies could hardly get any.
Disproportion in number of olympic medals won by East Germany is hardly unnoticeable.

Andreas

Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:20 pm

Well I'm a former WEST German, so yes, I heard all those stories...besides I always had myself a good laugh about these woMEN in the blue-white suits Big grin Big grin Big grin...btw one of them is now a sports commentator on German TV, rumour goes she still has to take hormones in order to get a feminine voice again.

I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Russophile

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:24 am

USSR + GDR vs. all other countries which weren't doping that much

Doping in the USSR teams was no more prevalent than is was for any other country. The GDR on the other hand is a completely different story!

There are sports, such as weightlifting, which the USSR did dope in. But so did every other country.

So yet more claptrap from yourself.

L410Turbolet

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:40 am

Doping in the USSR teams was no more prevalent than is was for any other country.

Yeah right, Russuphile! How could anything wrong ever happen in your beloved communist paradise?
You mention weightlifters. Add wrestlers, women runners, swimmers,... Ever heard about i.e. those Russian teen gymnasts getting pregnant by their coaches (because female body goes through a major increase in male hormones in early stages of pregnancy and thus boost in strenght, power, etc.), the pregnancy to be aborted in couple of weeks. All this done repeatedly and always well-timed for major events such as Olympics. Doping is wrong, but this is sick.
But since "Pravda" (what a name for a newspaper  Insane) didn't run the story, you won't believe it anyway, I suppose...

JetService

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:45 am

Here's the Top 10 All-Time medal count ranking (up to 2000 Sydney):

1) USA - 2116
2) USSR - 1010
3) GB - 638
4) France - 598
5) Italy - 479
6) Sweden - 469
7) East Germany - 445
8) Hungary - 443
9) Germany - 436
10) Australia - 350

• USA will win medal count in Athens

Now what country has the most medals per capita (hint, they're not on the list above)?
"Shaddap you!"

pacificjourney

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:47 am

L410Turbolet unless you have some accurate and comprehensive figures that show one country used performance enhancing drugs more than another then you are just speculating and/or repeating biased and ill-informed rumour.

All countries used drugs in sport, the extent of which this took place and a verdict on who was worse is premature at this time. Time might tell but not you.

Either (A) quote the sources you have showing the SU was the worst or (B) shut up.

pacificjourney

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:51 am

Most medals per capita .... again not the winter games - what a laugh .... I say Nauru.

If we want to do this fairly, shouldn't the number of medals be divided by the number of games the country took part in. Some countries were in all the Olympiads and some only very few, for differing reasons of course.

RaginMav

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:07 am

If we want to do this fairly, shouldn't the number of medals be divided by the number of games the country took part in.

How about a formula that accounts for the number of games compteted in, and the number of athletes fielded at each???

JetService

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:09 am

Most medals per capita .... again not the winter games - what a laugh .... I say Nauru.

PJ, I'm guessing the winter games were factored in considering the #1 country (another hint). And one more, its not some obscure island country that pulled one medal out of their ass; its a pretty major country.

If we want to do this fairly, shouldn't the number of medals be divided by the number of games the country took part in. Some countries were in all the Olympiads and some only very few, for differing reasons of course.

It doesn't really matter? Its not like we're putting money down.
"Shaddap you!"

Banco

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:20 am

Actually, we're knackered at this Olympics. The British Olympic Committee is testing each and every entrant multiple times for drugs to ensure (as much as is possible) that not a single one of them can manage to cheat, which is most disappointing as our most promising cheat, Dwayne Chambers looked a good bet to win. This does allow us to whinge for the next four years about how the rest of the world cheated (disgraceful, the lot of you) and we noble Brits didn't, and therefore that is the only reason we didn't top the medal table and us being crap has nothing whatsoever to do with it.  Big grin

[Edited 2004-08-13 18:27:43]
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Gdabski

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:21 am

Most medals per capita - i'm guessing Norway ...

JetService

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:27 am

Gdabski, very close. Here is the Top 10...

1) Finland
2) Sweden
3) Hungary
4) Norway
5) Denmark
6) Bulgaria
7) New Zealand
8) Switzerland
9) Australia
10) Estonia

FWIW, USA is 18th

"Shaddap you!"

pacificjourney

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:31 am

Winter olympics .... ridiculous !

Hey hey Jetservice, let's be magnanamous to Nauruian friends they won, they won. No arse pulling involved.

Excluding the silly winter "olympics" I'm sure Nauru is the answer.

The question also needs to be asked if we include the 1906 games and those medals won. No money at stake I know but these things matter damn it !

Russophile

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:42 am

PJ, let's hope he decides option B) and shut's the hell up. For each and every incident of doping in the USSR, I can show him an example of doping in his beloved capitalist paradise.

But funny that clown decided to single out the USSR (East Germany is deserved, because it was rife and standard), but fails to mention a couple of countries which are NOW being surrounded in scandals over doping -- America (track and field), Australia (cycling).

Doping in sport is wrong, and ALL countries have been guilty of this in the past. Going all the way back to the 1950s, when the Americans introduced their atheletes to anabolic steroids.

JetService

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:01 am

PJ, let's hope he decides option B) and shut's the hell up. For each and every incident of doping in the USSR, I can show him an example of doping in his beloved capitalist paradise.

Czech Republic is a capitalist paradise?

PJ, the chart says "all years". So I cannot confirm 1906. Also, I didn't mean to begrudge the Nauruian folks their terrific accomplishment! I'm sure it was WELL EARNED!!
"Shaddap you!"

L410Turbolet

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:15 am

For each and every incident of doping in the USSR, I can show him an example of doping in his beloved capitalist paradise.

Just do it, please! Because the attitude had been very much the same pre-1989. Communists in Czechoslovakia failed in every single aspect, be it economy, human rights, environment, etc. so sports was the only way to get some positive international attention and respect - at all costs. I don't think you will match incident by incident, not that they'd be any better, they just did not care that much or were not good enough.
The only difference is that unlike you, I'm not defending things that are just impossible to defend.
It ain't no capitalist paradise here, but 1000x better then when Kremlin was calling the shots, in case you're asking.