diamond

Your AIM / IM Use & Frequency

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:26 pm

I can't think of a time when I wasn't really into PC's. I'm handy at Excel macros & pivot tables, Access programming, PowerPoint, Flash and HTML.

But I just entered the "IM" world about a week ago. Strange, but true.

I'm wondering how you do or do not rely on it. How do you find it useful? Do you find it fun, or a distraction?

I sort of have it "on" whenever I'm on the PC but it just sits there. Most of the people I know well don't have IM addresses so is there a directory? A list?
Blank.

panam330

RE: Your AIM / IM Use & Frequency

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:45 pm

I use it all the time; I'm almost always online, or so it says. Obviously, I'll put up an Away message if I'm not there. If I'm talking to 3+ people, it's a useful tool, but it's a pain in the ass to type a conversation to one person, if you can talk to them on the phone or in person and do it in 10% of the time. I usually use it to make plans with people, but by no means is it "fun" to me. Is it a distraction? Sometimes, if I'm trying to type a paper, I find myself clicking the little yellow guy and 'sneaking' on for a bit.
There's definitely no directory or list of all AIM users. Most kids have it, and lots have multiple screen names, making it nearly impossible to keep tabs. Thus, the lack of directory, which would be almost useless anyhow.

My screen name on AIM is wcd726, if your up for a chat that involves knowledge (haha. Most online chats are the same old crap, ie. "hey, whats up?, cool, I've gotta go.") or whatever else is on your mind.

Shawn Patrick

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:06 pm

I use IM way too much. It is honestly like a drug. Be careful!

For me, it's what I do to pass the time. But that's bad, because it's not mind-stimulating such as reading or productive such as doing work or taking a walk outside. Usually I just can't wait to sit down and get online, and that's bad.

I use it to have conversations with a few select people, mainly. It's also a nice tool to carry on late night 2AM conversations with girls or talking about girls with friends! Some topics are just so irresistable and then you end up staying online for hours and hours.

I also use it for making plans. Sometimes it's easier than the phone.

Basically it's my drug. I've gotta stop!

Shawn

AIR757200

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:44 am

Regular AOL IM user here (and Yahoo), however, to block all the IM spam on AOL, I have to enter the other user's screen name into my "allowed" list. Kinda sucks b/c I don't mind the random drop-in IM from people (like from this site, etc.).. so, usually if someone wants to contact me, I'll have them E-mail me their screen name.

It's a good tool for keeping in touch with people.

AOL(@aol.com)/IM: MedoE80

VSlover

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:31 am

i rarely use it. if ever.

too many weirdos have seen my screen name and harass me which wastes my time.

i am very fast with the email responses as are a majority of friends, so in a way that is our version of IM.

plus the only time i have it on at work and if i get pulled away on something work related, i hate the pressure of having to ignore the incoming messages.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:47 am

I use IM way too much. It is honestly like a drug.

2nd!  Sad

Anywho, my screenname is ConcordeBoy81
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

SafetyDude

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:14 am

I almost always have AIM on whenever my computer is on, unless I am traveling and do not have wireless access, or if I am at school.

Say hi to me: Winglets747

Regular AOL IM user here (and Yahoo), however, to block all the IM spam on AOL, I have to enter the other user's screen name into my "allowed" list. Kinda sucks b/c I don't mind the random drop-in IM from people (like from this site, etc.).. so, usually if someone wants to contact me, I'll have them E-mail me their screen name
The best way to stop that is to never go into any chatrooms (unless they are private ones). You might find it better just to block the people who spam-IM you rather than do the "allowed" thing.

There are some pretty cool tweaks to AIM (the ad-removal ones do not work on new versions of AIM) here: http://www.tweakxp.com/search.asp?s=AIM. My personal favorite is: http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=1958.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

SouthwestMDW

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:16 am

I do admit that I use AIM all the time. It's a great was of keeping in touch with people. It's great to talk to my cousins all over the US, and just talking to friends to pass the time. If anyone wants to drop me a line, patrickMDW is my screen name  Big grin

Patrick

LHMark

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:18 am

I tried AIM, but my friends wouldn't stop messaging me, and it got really distracting.

When I'm writing an article, I'll sometimes use Yahoo or AIM for interviews. Then I have a complete record of a conversation and can avoid misquotes.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

ArmitageShanks

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:01 am

I have AIM, MSN, and Yahoo messengers open 24/7. I talk on AIM and MSN almost constantly.

ArmtgShnks for AIM and N7201Q@hotmail.com for MSN.

yanksn4

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:14 am

I don't use it that much, but once in a while I will. It is okay and is entertaining for a while. My aol name is NYYankeesn4
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

AIR757200

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:30 am

I haven't been in a chat room in years - I'm using messenger through the AOL program itself... way better than AIM. But, I guess I will readjust my settings.. the "IM Catcher" gets a bit annoying but it allows me to prescreen IMs.

Jkw777

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:42 am

Hi,

I have to say my IM use is pretty much OTT! I spend most of my free time online, so therefore AIM, MSN and Y! is running and I'm casually talking to friends, family, work mates and people from this site!

Always looking for new contacts! Don't be afraid to add me!  Wink/being sarcastic

Cheers,

Justin  Big thumbs up
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

SouthwestMDW

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:58 am

Forgot to put in above post: i am patrickORD@comcast.net for MSN messenger!

I love talking to people so if you want to talk, feel free  Smile

worldoftui

Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:48 am

On it occasionally. Good for a laugh and a quick chat at least.
AIM on worldoftuiMG.

Hotmail/MSN reserved for the special people.  Big grin

Mark

atrude777

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:25 am

I am..

yahoo messenger- atrude777
AIM- atrude777
MSN- alex_trude87@hotmail.com

Looking forward to chatting with you guys.

I love AIM i am online it alot.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

BOEING747-700

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:44 am

Well I use MSN more so then AOL I like MSN 1000% better, its more user friendly and most of my contacts are on that one. But my AOL IM name is PilotJMartin

UAL747

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:50 am

My AIM screen name is PhilG380 if you wanna give me a buzz.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Usairwys757

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:52 am

I'm usually on at home, and sometimes while at work. Obviously, sometimes will have the away message up. But my sn is baseballstar678, dont be afraid to IM me sometime.
Inactive.....

trijetfan1

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:05 am

hey everyone my screen name is Sexson Rocks74 and ChrisG UAL777
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

Cactus739

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:26 am

I don't use any messengers anymore really... spent way too much time with them.

I did recently download Yahoo! Messenger for my Sprint PCS phone. I'll never use it again.. it was the biggest pain in the **s to use.

You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White