VSlover

Toilets In The UK

Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:37 am

ok, a rant.

first off, i really dislike having to ask where the "toilet" is whenever i am in the UK. the word "toilet" sounds so clean and evokes images of germs, staph, and grossness. but i can never say "bathroom" because people stare at me funny. moreso than normal.

but i am at work, been holed up in a conference room all day on a conference floor, and on this floor we have "fancy" bathrooms to impress the guests. problem being they are very modern, and euro in design, resultantly they have the standard toilet you would find in the UK with the water tank hidden in the wall and a big button on the wall to flush with.

I HATE THESE. the seats are uncomfortable, and they are so damn high off the ground. and i've got long legs!

i hate taking a crap in the UK. and in my office!

/rant over.

EGGD

RE: Toilets In The UK

Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:54 am

I don't get it...

So in other news, at least you don't have 'the wall' urinals  Smokin cool

worldoftui

Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:58 am

Ok.

The thing I hate about having a dump in the US is the fact that the stall walls are only like 5ft high? Jeez! Might as well not bother - dont have to be too tall to see over. Kinda prefer privacy when I am about to "park." Sorry.

Mark

VSlover

Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:20 am

no EGGD- stateside, there are still urinals (well not in the fancy guest bathrooms as they are all single person units) in the bathrooms where multiple people can use it at the same time.

that reminds me of the urinals at the club HOME in London back in the late 90's where you would sort of pee onto this glass wall that had cascading water and you were standing on this metal grate, and it would all run into this drain you were standing over. very weird. very homeless. peeing in the streets and all. very DERELICTE.

i'm just talking about the toilet specifically. US toilets are generally lower and have a tank not hidden in the wall.

and mark--i think the stall walls are partial primarily for ease of cleaning the entire floor to keep from gross stuff building up along the stall walls. since men have a tendency to miss a lot, and well you know how clean we americans like things. haha

worldoftui

Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:25 am

I have no problem with the floor being open, but I just wish the divide went a bit higher.

But hey, this is a tread about UK toilets, so I will stop talking now!  Big grin

Mark

VSlover

Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:28 am

true.

i do like the privacy afforded from UK toilets.

worst toilets ever still are the toilets in the AA terminals at ORD. they have this plastic thing that is supposed to change each time, but last time i was there, each one was broken, and disgusting.

fritzi

Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:36 am

Try using the standard toilets in Germany and Austria. They have a plate that all your cr*p lands. Only way to get rid of it is to flush, otherwise your gonna have a pile lying about 10 centimeters from your bum.
I think they are designed like this to lessen the splashing effect, but Id rather get splashing water on my bum than a mountain of cr*p under it.  Laugh out loud

worldoftui

Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:50 am

worst toilets ever still are the toilets in the AA terminals at ORD. they have this plastic thing that is supposed to change each time, but last time i was there, each one was broken, and disgusting.

I saw the same things in the VS terminal at JFK. These ones worked though. I was in there hours!  Smile Fascinating.

Mark

mdsh00

Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:04 am

The thing I hate about having a dump in the US is the fact that the stall walls are only like 5ft high?

Worldoftui,

Have you ever checked out the troughs at large sporting venues?  Laugh out loud

I like my crapper at work, its low to the ground, rarely used and has a powerful flush.  Big thumbs up

"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

pelican

Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:18 am

Fritzi
It have to be a long time ago since you visited Germany. The kind of toilet you have described is now very rare here in Germany. I can't remember when I've used such a toilet for the last time.

pelican

N6376M

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:53 am

The landing type toilets that were described above are also in wide use in the Netherlands. I hate them and I've never been able to understand why the designed them this way.

Catatonic

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:44 am

toilets in america are far too big for the average britsh ass..... i say no more!
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

EA CO AS

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:49 am

Try using the standard toilets in Germany and Austria. They have a plate that all your cr*p lands.

I think that's what I encountered in this small town just outside Venice, Italy a few years back. It looked like the garbage disposal portion of a kitchen sink, but sunken into the floor, with what looked like footrests on either side.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LHSebi

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:54 am

What I really dislike about British toilets/bathrooms is the following:
1) The sinks are the size of a small soup-bowl.
2) The faucets extend about 2 cm. from the edge of the sink, making the usefulness of the sink even less.
3) Almost noone there has heard of the concept of a combined faucet, where you have one place where water comes out with a turning thing to regulate hot/cold, as opposed to the usual two separate faucets, where you either get ice water, or your hands burned off.

Done  Big thumbs up

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

VSlover

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:09 am

as for point 3 above...wasnt the biggest fear in combined faucets that you never truly know how much hot water is flowing at any one moment?

total rubbish i say.

LHSebi

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:28 am

as for point 3 above...wasnt the biggest fear in combined faucets that you never truly know how much hot water is flowing at any one moment?

Huh?
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

SWA TPA

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:48 am

LOL Worloftui! They have those plastic seat covers in New Orleans airport too!
I swear the first time I ran into them I was just as fascinated  Smile
Makes you wonder how much of that stuff is wasted by people trying it out. I know I wasted a few watching it go round and then began hoping it wasnt the same several pieces just being "cleaned" off as it went into the back of the toilet seat  Big grin
To funny though! The things that amuse us.

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

fritzi

Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:35 am

Pelican said:

Fritzi
It have to be a long time ago since you visited Germany. The kind of toilet you have described is now very rare here in Germany. I can't remember when I've used such a toilet for the last time.

Actually it was just over a month ago I was in Germany. I just moved back from Vienna and I used to go to Germany, mostly Munich, every other month or so.

Guess what types of toilets they had at the places that I stopped at in germany in July?
---Yep, they had the crappers with the shelf in them!

pelican

Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:42 am

Fritzi
I assure you I haven't seen such toilets for years.
Now there are to possibilities:
1 - your choice of accommodation is very questionable
2 - the toilet-culture down there in the south is a little bit backward (this wouldn't surprise me  Wink/being sarcastic)

pelican

prosa

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:23 pm

Try using the standard toilets in Germany and Austria. They have a plate that all your cr*p lands. Only way to get rid of it is to flush, otherwise your gonna have a pile lying about 10 centimeters from your bum.

Useful if you're smuggling diamonds or narcotics  Smokin cool

"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"