usair1489

US Dollar Coins... Your Opinions?

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:38 pm

Okay I've gotten this topic refreshed in my mind. We, as Americans, reject the usefulness of the half dollar and dollar coins for quarters and dollar bills. Now, before getting into the "oh they're too heavy" responses, I would like to hear some opinions as to if we could use the $1 and maybe even $2 coins.

Canada has $1 and $2 coins and they look much different and are only slightly larger than their quarter, which is slightly smaller in size than the US quarter. They use the $1 and $2 coins everyday and think nothing of it. "Oh your total is $17.56" and you hand the teller or cashier the exact amount, which can be a $10 bill, two $2 coins, three $1 coins, two quarters, a nickel, and a penny.

I really think if we put our minds to it, the coins would become very popular. Unlike paper money, they last a lot longer (a $1 bill's lifespan is about 13 months whereas a $1 coin would last over 25 years), might be a little more expensive to make but like I said, lasts longer than paper money.

If I were to come up with the coins, the $1 coin would be the Sacagawea dollar we already have and the $2 coin could remain the same size but would have a reeded and plain edge all around (several reeds followed by a plain section and then reeds, etc, going around the entire coin).

What do you think?
Zinger Aviation Delta Oscar Tango Charlie Oscar Mike

ArmitageShanks

RE: US Dollar Coins... Your Opinions?

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:52 pm

I absolutely hate coins of any value and size. If you have to travel or walk with a substantial amount, they are a nightmare.

When I get pennies back from somewhere, I always say "keep the change" or give them to someone that wants them. I never use them anyway.

Usairwys757

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:58 pm

I for one prefer the dollar bill, coins weigh the pockets down and there are just too many of them. I have about 5 jars in my house full of change, personally I dont want anymore of it. Especially pennies, they are so useless.
Inactive.....

vaporlock

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:07 pm

Well, we Canadians have the $1 and $2 coins and at first I must admit most people were not too excited about them.

Now....I think I can speak for most Canadians....they are pretty good. I think the biggest thing was "change".....most people were so used of paper 1's and 2's and old habits die hard!!!

Phyllis  Wink/being sarcastic

pacificjourney

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:08 pm

NZ switched to 1 and 2 dollar coins in about 1986.

Research at that time showed a one dollar note lasted an average of just 11 transactions, a one dollar coin has been shown to last 478 transactions.

There is no comparison, coins make so much more sense in this and endless other ways.

As far as the 'weight in my pockets' argument goes surely that isn't really an issue until they get rid of the $5 bill. That would be going too far !

Also ion 1986 NZ got rid of 1 and 2 cent pieces, all prices being rounded up or down. That takes care of your excessive amount of coins problem.

Yet another solution from down under. Make the bills out of plastic, not paper. NZ money is almost indestructible !
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

ArmitageShanks

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:10 pm

Also think of this. You would have to carry a wallet and a bigger pocketfull of change.

StevenUhl777

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:15 pm

NO! No dollar coins! They introduced those copper-colored ones, and do you see them everyday? NO! Why? Because Americans HATE big, heavy coins! Otherwise, they would have been wildly popular.

I just got back from three weeks in Germany, Scotland, and England. While I had a blast, and love going to Europe, there's nothing I hate more than having to carry all their damn coins around each day...and fumble through each one trying to get the right coins. To me, it's just easier to grab paper notes and be done with it.

Guess it's all a matter of what you're used to... Insane Still, let's not introduce any more large coins for no reason!
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

pacificjourney

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:51 pm

Jesus, calm down. It's not like you couldn't do with the exercise.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

NWA744

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:18 pm

On a somewhat related note...it's amazing to take your jar of leftover change to the bank to be counted in the machine and see how much money it piles up too. We had this coffee can that just kinda filled up with coins over time, and it had like $150 in it.

andz

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:04 pm

um, back to the topic on hand....

Like New Zealand we don't have 1 or 2c coins anymore either, we do have 1, 2 and 5 rand coins, the change only weighs you down if you don't spend it!

Plastic notes like in Australia are a great idea, I wonder why they didn't go this route with the Euro.

Is the US the only country with all the notes the same size and colour?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

NWA742

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:10 pm

Alright I'll go on topic now, and ignore the person who seems to be obsessed with what I post.

I'd support having $2 coins or dollar bills being brought back. Seems these days it would be useful at a convenience store.

-NWA742

[Edited 2004-08-14 08:32:40]
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

jasepl

Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:17 pm

As far as I know, the US is the only country that does not actually put down the coin's value in digits. The coins always say one dime or quarter dollar or something, but never 1 or 5 or 25... Why? Anyone know what's going on there?

cptkrell

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:20 pm

I don't like carrying around a pocketfull of change either, but I am guessing that the unpopularity of the last two $1 coins issued in the U.S. is mostly the result of them being casually indistinguishable from the quarter-dollar in size and feel. Detroit-area because of its' proximity to Canada also has a problem with the Canadian quarter because of it's size/feel, too.

Only last week I took two twenties, eight new dollar coins and eight quarters to the local bank to get a fresh fifty for a gift. The teller gave me back a fifty, a five and a one dollar bill, mistaking the quarters for dollar pieces. Me being "Mr. Honest" called the mistake, but it shows you that the folks shooting the shots at the U.S. Mint didn't learn a thing from the unpopularity of the Susan B. Anthony dollar when designing the current Sacajawea. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

JAL777

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:22 pm

Problem solved. Big grin

cptkrell

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:27 pm

Problem solved, indeed, unless you lose it or leave it in some bar after being "over-served"  Smile Regards..Jack
all best; jack

JAL777

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:29 pm

Get the platinum one... this way your not liable. Big grin

whitehatter

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:48 pm

Smallest note in the UK is now a fiver.

We've got the pound coin, about two thirds of an inch across and thicker than other coins. It's gold coloured. Then there's the two coloured £2 coin with the gold rim and silver centre which is larger than the £1.

Once the retired colonels and old farts stopped whining on about treason and heritage, nobody basically gave a bollocks anymore about scabby old pound notes that get tatty in your pocket. They are also much more useful in vending machines and ticket booths.

Five pound coins here are legal tender but only issued as collectors items in very limited numbers.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

srbmod

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:50 pm

What's funny about the current $1 coin is that the US Mint is not minting as many because nobody's using them. What's happening is that people are hoarding them, thinking that the US Mint is going to stop minting the $1 coins, and then they'll be valuable.

The US Mint has never really gone about the $1 coin in just the right way. The Susan B. Anthony $1 coin was too similar in size to the quarter, and a lot of machines were getting these coins put into them, and the shape of the coin was causing them to get stuck in the coin slot. The silver dollar has always been around, more of a collectable coin than anything. You try to pay for something with it, and they look at you weird. Same is true with a $2 bill. They did a big media blitz with the golden dollar, but it really wasn't too successful. The US Mint did a promotion with Wal-Mart in which Wal-Mart offered the coins as part of the change from ones' bill. I got one in this way just to get one, and I kept it for a couple of days until I used it. The guy at the gas station I used it gave me a weird look when I handed it over.

The only way a $1 coin will ever go over would be if they quit making $1 bills, which pretty much means never. A US $1 coin will always be a novelty, and the only place you'll get them at is in the change out of postal vending machines (I'd always go inside and have them swap the coins for bills).

Klaus

Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:05 am

I don´t know what the big deal is (apart from ... ahem ... changeBig grin).

Coins are practical and I´ve never had a problem of "too much change". You just spend it - that´s what it´s for!  Nuts

The old Mark coins were a little inconsistent in size and colour, but the new €uros are rather systematic and easy to use:

Cent coins: 1, 2, 5 (copper), 10, 20, 50 (golden)
€uro coins: 1, 2 (bi-colour golden/silver)
€uro bills: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 (individual colours)

Both coins and bills are ordered by size within each category.

I can´t say, of course, how big the transition pain might be in the US, but it might be a good idea to make the money systematic and consistent in one jump.

It can be done, and I think it´s worth it.

desertjets

Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:42 am

The US will SUCCESSFULLY implement the dollar coin when we fully adopt the metric system. Big grin

The change that clogs your pocket are not the big coins (the quarter) but all those damn pennies. Didn't Canada stop minting their penny? If we could get rid of the penny I think part of the problem would be solved.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

SafetyDude

Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:49 am

I think that "The Simpsons" said it perfectly:
"And so, we remember Sacajaweah by placing her on the one dollar coin. You can trade it in at the bank for a real dollar."

Honestly, those coins are a pain, they weigh a ton, people cannot wait to get rid of them, and when you use them, people give you dirty looks.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

kalakaua

Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:49 am

I want plastic money... Doesn't Australia have that? ...Plastic bills? How 'bout plastic coins?
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

iflyatldl

Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:53 am

I like Canada's Dollar coin system...once you get used to it, it's really not bad. In some ways for me at least, it's easier. After every trip home, I stash my left over cash in a jar and I've got ready cash for my next trip home. No ATM hunt on arrival.  Smile
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

Klaus

DesertJets

Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:25 am

DesertJets: The US will SUCCESSFULLY implement the dollar coin when we fully adopt the metric system.

That´s exactly what I was thinking of while writing "...in one jump"! Big grin

Half-assed hardly supported transition attempts simply don´t work. Decide and then just do it. Nothing alse.

DesertJets: The change that clogs your pocket are not the big coins (the quarter) but all those damn pennies.

I´m completely unable to understand how people manage to get there... I just pay with cents as much as with the other coins if possible. I´ve almost never got more than five or six copper ones.

RT514

Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:27 am

Most of the arguments against dollar coins are ones that I remember being trumpeted loud and clear here, only to quickly fade away soon after introduction.

Realistically, dollar bills and pennies make less sense as time goes on, because of inflation. People hate pennies, and understandably so. Those who have said that they hate coins... well, let's just say that they won't be so quick with saying "keep the change" if it involves some dollar coins. Pennies are virtually useless, first-world countries have started to eliminate them, and it will be an inevitable trend that will grow.

Now about dollar coins. What does a dollar buy now? Not much at all. Inflation has relegated "$1" into the relatively insignificant depths that were represented by quarters, dimes, and nickels. Considering the lifespan of a coin versus a paper note, AND the fact that $1 simply doesn't have the buying power that it used to, keeping it as a paper note really doesn't fulfill any cause outside of nostalgia. It's agreeable that coins represent lower denominations and quite frankly, we're at a point where one unit of currency (whether it be an American dollar, a Euro, a British Pound or whatever) is not a sizable amount of money. If you've got $50 in your wallet, the likelihood that it is composed of 50 $1 bills is extremely unlikely... therefore, the transition from a dollar bill to a coin won't add copious amounts of weight on anyone, as many suggest.

PPGMD

Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:56 am

Please no coins larger than $0.25. When I was in the UK, I had this heavy as heck pocket of coins that totaled up to about $30. Jesus, either give me plastic or stick with paper money.
At worst, you screw up and die.

Klaus

Ppgmd

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:07 am

PPGMD: Please no coins larger than $0.25. When I was in the UK, I had this heavy as heck pocket of coins that totaled up to about $30. Jesus, either give me plastic or stick with paper money.

And what exactly stopped you from spending it??  Insane

dvk

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:13 am

I like the dollar coins, and wish they were used more widely. I rarely have more that a few ones in my wallet; the other bills are a mix of 5's, 10's and 20's. Among the reasons for failure of the dollar coins to catch on here is that vending machines now take dollar bills, but not dollar coins, and cash registers aren't designed with enough slots to easily accommodate another denomination of coins. If they were, you can bet retailers would rather deal with rolls of one dollar coins, rather than the bulkier bills.

On a side note, the US dollar is the currency in Ecuador, and you see the dollar coins everywhere there.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

mdsh00

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:28 am

No more coins! I hate getting something like 93 cents back and then ending up with a huge chunk of change making my pockets bulge. Along with keys, cell phone, and PDA, it starts getting a bit uncomfortable. I say that pennies should go, and perhaps rounding up or down to the nearest 5 cent would work better. But no $1 coin!
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

RT514

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:44 am

Among the reasons for failure of the dollar coins to catch on here is that vending machines now take dollar bills...

While living in the USA, I can't recall how many times I was thirsty on a hot day, with only a couple of $1 bills in my wallet, and a vending machine faithfully rejecting both of them. Now there is one of the many pet-peeves in life.

PPGMD: Please no coins larger than $0.25. When I was in the UK, I had this heavy as heck pocket of coins that totaled up to about $30. Jesus, either give me plastic or stick with paper money.

Klaus: And what exactly stopped you from spending it??

Hehe! All I can say is that I wish I perpetually had the problem of having my pockets "heavy as heck".  Laugh out loud

DeskPilot

Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:54 am

Here in Australia, it's plastic notes (strong little buggers, never tear) and $1 and $2 coins. The $1 and $2 coins are great for vending machines - pain in the a$$ trying to feed a note into a machine.

Oh, and we've been metric since early 1970's, and we got rid of the horrible pounds, shillings and pence crap in the late 60's. Funny, everyone cut across fine. Civilisation didn't end. Quite progressive aren't we !
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

airsicknessbag

Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:07 am

>>>Is the US the only country with all the notes the same size and colour?

All Central American banknotes are identical in size to the dollar. Different colours, though.

Also, the dollar coin is extremely popular in Latin American countries that use the USD as official currency, e.g. Panama and Ecuador. From personal experience, I'd say the distribution is like half/half. The reason for this is of course the fact that it`s not easy to replace the tattered notes when the next central bank is thousands of miles away. While obviously the coin lasts forever.

>>>Please no coins larger than $0.25. When I was in the UK, I had this heavy as heck pocket of coins that totaled up to about $30. Jesus, either give me plastic or stick with paper money.

>>>And what exactly stopped you from spending it??

Ya, don`t understand that either. I NEVER have more than 4.99 EUR in coins in my purse (-> 5 = smallest note) because I spend the coins whenever I can.

Daniel Smile

Klaus

Airsicknessbag

Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:32 am

Airsicknessbag: Ya, don`t understand that either. I NEVER have more than 4.99 EUR in coins in my purse (-> 5 = smallest note) because I spend the coins whenever I can.

Those other coins probably emanate some evil spending inhibition waves...  Nuts

StarAC17

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:35 am

Don't get the $1 coin. I was just in the US for 10 days and I much prefer the $1 bill over the loonie and toonie and now I think Canada is considering a $5 coin. The only logic in this is if Coin's are cheaper to produce than paper bills but they are still annoying.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

scottieprecord

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:31 am

There are a few reasons the dollar coin didn't work in the US:
1) You couldn't use them in vending machines

2) The only place you could get them was at the Post Office

3) By habit, when Americans need to pay for something, more than not, we look at the dollar amount, round up to the next whole dollar, then give them cash. The only time we see coins is when we receive them, and when we put them in the jar at home.

Matt D

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:55 am

I think this image ought to appear on some denomination of coin and/or currency.

mdsh00

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:25 am

Is the US the only country with all the notes the same size and colour?

In some way that's true. Although the $20 bill now has some color on it. I believe the other larger denomiations will get the color scheme on it too.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

N6376M

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:11 am

It's a pain in the ass to walk around europe with a pocket full of 1 and 2 euro coins.

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:28 am

RE: It's a pain in the ass to walk around europe with a pocket full of 1 and 2 euro coins.

But they're great for vending machines, parking machines and laundromats ! I find those machines in the US that take (or rather spurn with disdain) 1 dollar bills a real pain. And have you ever tried to feed a payphone 3 bucks in quarters ? Not fun.

It must cost the US SO much money to keep the 1 dollar bill in circulation - surely the vending industry would be keen to switch to coin-operated only, it would be much easier, you'd think.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

tristarenvy

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:30 am

If I had a dollar for every damn Susan B. Anthony coin I mistook for a quarter back in the early 80's....I'd be really well off.

And what's worse, the Post Office loaded their automated stamp machine at the airport PO with those things not too long ago. The clerks at the counter probably heard the profanity when the coins landed in the change slot.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

v jet

Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:16 am

It's a pain in the arse to walk around the United States with a wallet full of $1 bills so thick it wont close.

SafetyDude

Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:37 am

It's a pain in the arse to walk around the United States with a wallet full of $1 bills so thick it wont close.
It is a bigger pain to walk around with coins.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

NWADC9

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:26 am

Pick one Laugh out loud
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard