Saleem
Topic Author

Frying Live Crabs, Not Cruel?

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:12 pm

I was just watching a few days back "BBC Foods", in which they showed cooking some Crabs, putting live into boiling water or oil to cook those.

Is this not cruel to put live Crabs into boiling water??

L.1011

RE: Frying Live Crabs, Not Cruel?

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:18 pm

Animals don't have feelings. People have taste buds. Crab tastes good.

(This has been L.1011 telling it like it is)

JAL777

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:20 pm

I don't think crustaceans feel pain in the same sense that we do. We boil lobsters and nobody has a problem with that.

desertjets

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:20 pm

Well lobsters are boiled live too. I believe there is a practical reason for this... not sure what it is.

Scroll down to the "Oh the humanity part"

http://allrecipes.com/advice/coll/all/articles/96P1.asp

[Edited 2004-08-20 05:23:33]
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

CaptOveur

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:21 pm

Deep frying a crab is cruel, to the people eating it.

Boil the damned things, it really causes me much pain to see great seafood ruined in a deep fryer.

Who the hell cares if the crab feels it? The boiling liquid only hurts for a second, and they taste good.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

jutes85

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:25 pm

Crabs don't feel pain.
nothing

L-188

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:29 pm

Was this the Julia Child "pan fried crab" episode.

Apparently the wankers at PETA had a fit because the guest chef split the live crabs in half with a knife before putting them on the skillet
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

StevenUhl777

Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:14 pm

I've heard it said from an expert crab fisherman that it's best to clean them while they're still alive, then break up the crab into pieces and boil it. Supposed to taste better that way, as opposed to boiling the whole thing first, then cleaning.

Try it! You migh like it!

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

vafi88

Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:14 pm

You could always stab them in the head with a knife before boiling them... Or put them in the freezer for 5 minutes so they black out...

They taste good!
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Alpha 1

Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:16 pm

Animals don't have feelings. People have taste buds. Crab tastes good.

Laugh out loud

I'm damn close to putting you on my RR, just for that take!! EXCELLENT!!

Makes me want to go to Dead..err, Red Lobster, right now.

Crabs don't feel pain.

PETA feels the pain for them.  Wink/being sarcastic

ArmitageShanks

Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:50 pm

We did an experiment at the beach one day. We boiled crabs and removed them at different intervals, some as soon as 2-3 seconds and they were already dead. So, it's only a second or two at the MOST that they feel pain, if so, they probably pass out instantly anyway from the shock.

QIguy24

Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:50 pm

I've heard that the reason why they boil the crabs alive, is because the crab gets stressed and somehow something happens to the meat which makes it tastier.

DeltaGuy

Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:55 pm

I actually had stuffed Lobster tonight...one they took out of the tank and specially cooked up for me. It tasted much better knowing the Lobster was killed just for me...mmm extra fresh.

It's even more fun to name the crabs/lobsters, let em play around on your kitchen floor (rubber bands of course), then boil the suckers. Screw PETA.

DeltaGuy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

ryanb741

Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:34 pm

Well when I was out at the soccer world cup in Korea I saw a live bear being lowered into a vat of boiling water in a restaurant. So if it is okay to boil a bear alive I can't see how boiling a crab alive should be a problem.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

keesje

Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:39 pm

No they don't feel pain

because we would be cruel then

& we don't want to be cruel

so lets just agree they don't feel pain

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

oly720man

Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:23 pm

There's probably less pain than being eaten alive by some other predator.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

ANA

Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:59 pm

Gordon Ramsey doesn't boil lobsters, he cuts them in half while they are alive - a quick knife push through the head. They seems to die straight away. For non-Brits, Ramsey is one of the celeb. chefs in the UK, and probably the most talked about. His food's pretty good too.

Anders

QIguy24

Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:03 pm

Well when I was out at the soccer world cup in Korea I saw a live bear being lowered into a vat of boiling water in a restaurant. So if it is okay to boil a bear alive I can't see how boiling a crab alive should be a problem.

Boiling a bear sound pretty gross. I wonder why the asians have their strange food culture. They cook the sickest things sometimes.

[Edited 2004-08-20 11:05:58]

Saleem
Topic Author

Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:21 pm

As per Islamic teaching, Islam allows to slaughter animal in a special way. The sea food is exempted from slaughtering. There is particular way to slaughter an animal as a minimum pain to them and drain blood from their bodies.

However, Islam forbids to kill any animal through Heat.

keesje

Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:42 am

it's best to clean them while they're still alive, then break up the crab into pieces

We did an experiment at the beach one day. We boiled crabs and removed them at different intervals, some as soon as 2-3 seconds and they were already dead.

boil the crabs alive, is because the crab gets stressed and somehow something happens to the meat which makes it tastier.

In some countries suffering endured is believed to enhance its potency as a health food or traditional remedy. I will not go into details or link cat/dog pictures...

I thought it was just Asia..

In general I think it is a good thing to kill for food as fast as possible.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

JetService

Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:08 am

If it really bothered the crab then he would scream. Besides, Oly720man is right; it has to be better than other predators. Can you imagine how much it would suck to get eaten by an octopus?
"Shaddap you!"

N6376M

Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:12 am

Saleem -

Do you advocate a lethal injection for the crabs before they're boiled?

Saleem
Topic Author

Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:33 am

N6376m, no I am not of the opinion to give lethal injections, but to kill them before boiling. May be any user having medical back ground give better answer.

I often heard that killing anyone by heating is real torture as against by slaughtering or any thing else. I heard that burnt human beings remain in senses and always feel pain they can never be non-conscious when burnt.

So, that's probably why Islam forbids killing any living being through heat more precisely by FIRE.

May be as some users explained that in boiling they immediately died, so that may not be a longer painful act, and killing any living animal directly on fire would be painful.

N6376M

Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:40 am

Saleem - I was trying (apparently not very successfully) to be funny.

I did learn something today about Islam (the killing by fire thing) so let's just chalk this up to a learning experience and move on.

Perhaps it would be useful if someone could post a "did you know . . . " about Islam every day, little by little it might help everyone understand each other a bit better.

Saleem
Topic Author

Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:59 am

Dear N6376m

Although little bit of the topic, but Islam is very particular where it comes to the rights and obligations. Muslims slaughter animal but we have very strict conditions regarding animals as how to slaughter them.

Islam is very particular in wars, not to kill any citizens, including old age persons, women and children. Islam forbids to cut trees in war without any reasons. Islam is not only religion but a way of life.

It is very unfortunate that these terrorist activities actually exploits the Islam. Islam never allow to do such activities and seriously, to be honest very very seriously against killing innocent persons and every one who is involved will be strictly answerable on the day of judgment.

Allah (The Almighty God) has the only right to punish anyone in the hell by burning through FIRE, so that no one is allowed in this world to burn someone through FIRE.

I am just going to start a new thread that is regarding "Why Islam Forbids eating pork"

It is too late and mid night here, so remaining discussion will be in the morning

With best wishes to all users

Regards

L-188

Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:58 am

Islam is very particular in wars, not to kill any citizens, including old age persons, women and children

I hope the folks in the world trade center where aware of that.

slider

Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:04 am

OK, L-188, that's a topic for a different thread. And believe me, I'm biting my tongue too.

Back to crabs and crustaceans. Should we dunk them in a pot of room temp water, then boil it? Or just drop them in the boiling water? hehe

I can tell you from experience, nothing like a good old fashioned New England lobster boil, or a crawfish boil. Mmmmm.....getting hungry thinking about it and I just ate.  Big grin

PETA can ram it....if they showed half the so-called compassion to their fellow man as they claim to have towards animals, the world would be a better place. Now, they're up in arms about fishing. fishing in general is wrong to them. Radical environmentalist animal rights tree-hugging freaks!

Now, pass me the bacon, my fishing pole, and crank over another blue crab. And a beer. MUHAHAHAAA!!!!  Smile

DLKAPA

Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:22 am

Now, pass me the bacon, my fishing pole, and crank over another blue crab. And a beer. MUHAHAHAAA!!!!

Can I come too?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

slider

Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:30 am

DLKAPA- Sure, just bring more beer.  Big grin

And no sniveling liberal whining pansies allowed either. House rules, hehe...

Oh, and cigars. Gotta have cigars.

WellHung

Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:40 am

DLKAPA- Sure, just bring more beer.

And no sniveling liberal whining pansies allowed either. House rules, hehe...

Well THAT'S a flip-flop if I've ever seen one.  Big grin

slider

Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:46 am

Flip flop? hehe

No way dude....beer, food, manly man. Cigars. hey, it's a wonderful life. Bring the red meat.  Smile

canoecarrier

Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:01 pm

I'm thinking of the "Iron Chefs" Lobster battle when I saw this thread. Who cares! In that IC episode, they hacked off the tails of the live lobsters, that I would think is cruel, but only in a western view, I'm sure the easterners think much differently than I.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

DLKAPA

Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:04 pm

Hmm Beer lets see...

College kid...

I think we can work something out Big grin
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

L-188

Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:08 pm

Somebody have a server that can host a movie?

I have saved in my e-mail folder of a crab that learns the hard way about differential pressure, some of you might enjoy it

AvObserver

Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:21 pm

"Animals don't have feelings. People have taste buds. Crab tastes good."

Wrong on the 1st count, L-1011, as a onetime owner of various pets can attest to. And as for the rest, eat your crab if you like but bear in mind that a Great White Shark probably has similar sentiments when chomping on a swimmer.

"Islam is very particular in wars, not to kill any citizens, including old age persons, women and children.

I hope the folks in the world trade center where aware of that."

Unfortunate generalizing L-188. You've got to learn to separate the Muslim EXTREMISTS from the general Muslim population, a leap that certain right-wing broadcasters like Jerry Doyle seem increasingly unable to do.

"PETA can ram it....if they showed half the so-called compassion to their fellow man as they claim to have towards animals, the world would be a better place. Now, they're up in arms about fishing. fishing in general is wrong to them. Radical environmentalist animal rights tree-hugging freaks!"

No offense, but this sounds like a standard redneck opinion to me. PETA wasn't formed to show compassion to people; what do those letters stand for, anyway? Animals are often needlessly abused and exploited, some folks like me are bothered by that. I don't applaud all of their often twisted campaigns but I do approve of their basic intent. I've no problem with fishing, per se, but should be done in a way that the fish don't needlessly suffer. To me, 'animal rights' isn't a radical concept, just a basically sensible one up to a point. And PETA isn't the 'tree-hugging' org.; that's The Sierra Club or NRDC, not that there's anything wrong with hugging a tree, as you seem to imply. Though it's a fact that humans will continue to use the animal and plant resources of the world, it needn't be done cavalierly. It's quite enough some creature dies for your enjoyment, no reason for it to unduly suffer in the process. Enjoy your crab but keep in mind that it probably did feel some measure of pain as it was lowered into the boiling pot; it's a bit crass for you to utterly disregard that, entitled though you may be to eat it. As humans, we can afford to show a semblance of humanity to the animals we consume.

DLKAPA

Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:28 pm

I'm guessing you are a vegetarian?

pilot kaz

Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:03 pm

If I liked the animal in taste I would not care.

If I liked the animal for the animal I would care.

but I don't like crabs as an animal but I don't like sea food.

3 simple words.

I don't care.
-