Whatever you do DO
A NISSAN PATROL.
In Australia the GU
model has known problems including :
1. Early life turbo failures. Ours failed at 415 km. You remember the number on the clock when you see that white cloud of smoke. One country dealership where we had ours serviced had a whole pallet load of failed turbos. Root cause was alledgedly a machining fault supposedly limited to a particular batch (must have been a bloody big batch).
2. Fifth gear failures. We haven't experienced this (yet) but apparently it is also quite common.
3. Huge variation in fuel economy figures. Admittedly this one is difficult to prove however one dealer quoted me the variation (within model types) they had records of and it was just ridiculous. Possibly related to variation in quality control of engine manufacture. Our figures are quite accurate and they are (disappointingly) well below the average of the range quoted by the dealer for our model type.
4. Drive train shudder. This is a real pain and we have experienced this from early life and the effect is like the clutch is buggered.
5. Rear Door. The rear door latch continually looses it's locating bolts and is in constant danger of opening. A lot of people take the spare off (and have an after market bumber bar with swing arm for the spare) just to reduce the weight on the door so there is not as much stress on it.
The other problem is Nissan itself and it's Dealers :
1. Warranty issues. There is a continual fight between what is a "Nissan" warrantable item and what is a "Dealer fitted" warrantable (or lack thereof) item. Examples we have had are the second battery fitment and turret paint defect/deterioration. Needless to say they did not come to the party and fix them.
2. Service bookings, turnaround, and cost. It is almost impossible to book the bloody thing in to a Dealer and when they have got it they are not in any hurry to give it back and they certainly sock you for every little thing.
3. Sales people. We bought early in the piece and they forgot to tell us that the first couple of batches were fitted with smaller main and sub tanks than stated in the brochure. Wunderbar - combined with shitty fuel economy the lack of tankage means our range is down about 150-200 kms on others who have better fuel economy and the "proper" tanks.
Needless to say we will not be buying another Nissan let alone another Patrol.