skyhawk

USA Wins Softball Gold

Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:12 am

Just happened a few minutes ago. The women's USA Softball team won the Gold at the Olympics with a score of 5-1. Kudos do go however to the Australian team as they were the only team to score a run on the USA women. That run came in the 6th inning.

Banco

RE: USA Wins Softball Gold

Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:16 am

In another massive shock, Australia won the Aussie Rules final.  Insane  Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

jasepl

Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:43 am

LOL! They'd better have. If they hadn't, they may as well pack up go home and stay there. And give up on the "sport".

slider

Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:16 am

Rock on! Way to go for them!

Now Jennie Finch can fly back home to me, hehe...  Wink/being sarcastic

L-188

Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:48 am

And congrats to the Aussies.

Who like every other team that was scoreless against the Americans, scored one run to beat the spread  Laugh out loud
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

LBA

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:25 pm

Well done to Australia for beating the Japanese in the baseball semi final.

Imonti

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:27 pm

well wow this came as such a huge surprise, this is why sports such as this need to be removed from the olympics.

racko

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:53 pm

What's softball? Never heard of it.

Russophile

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:58 pm

I'm surprised the Aussies even made it to the gold medal game. Softball is one of those games which the girls play in primary school, and usually give up around the age of 15-16.

What next? Teeball? Australia will put in a team made up of 5 and 6 year old boys Big grin

futureualpilot

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:58 pm

You've honestly never heard of softball?

If you havent, its similar to baseball, but the fields are smaller and the pitcher throws underhand. Basically everything else is very similar to baseball.
Life is better when you surf.

Banco

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:31 am

Well, I didn't really know what softball was either.

So, if it's an underarm version of baseball, why didn't they just call it rounders? After all, that ancient game is what baseball is derived from anyway.

We ought to be good at that. Schoolgirls up and down the country have been playing it for hundreds of years.

racko

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:13 am

Thanks Futureualpilot, I had heard the word but I didn't really know what it was.

"We ought to be good at that."

A sentence heard quite frequently in England when it comes to sports...  Big grin
After all you ought to be good at football, too - you invented it!

DeltaJAX

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:57 am

Just because USA dominates a particular sport, now some here say it should be removed from the Olympics. Well I guess the entire Olympics should be cancelled because if you haven't checked the medal count lately, we are kicking the world's ass!

Banco

Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:22 pm

Don't be daft, Deltajax.

It isn't US success that people are having a gripe about. It's putting in sports that only the US play into the Olympics. It's idiotic. By no stretch of the imagination can something like softball be called an international sport. So what's the point of it? Oh, yes. To give the US networks something to show.  Insane Funny, really. I always thought the Olympics was about international competition. It seems not. Even many Americans recognise how silly it is to have something like this in the Olympics.

That's my point about rounders. It's virtually the same game. Only we play it. Get it in there! Big grin

jasepl

Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:27 pm

Just because USA dominates a particular sport, now some here say it should be removed from the Olympics. Well I guess the entire Olympics should be cancelled because if you haven't checked the medal count lately, we are kicking the world's ass!

Oh my God! Will you people shut the hell up! Enough with the oppressed minority act.

BNE

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:00 pm

Well I guess the entire Olympics should be cancelled because if you haven't checked the medal count lately, we are kicking the world's ass!

Last time I checked Djibouti hasn't won any medals at the 2004 Olympic games.

If however you meant to say the USA, then they have won 25/198 less than 13% of the Gold medals on offer. China has been ranked first in the olympic medal tally over the 12 days of competition.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

KROC

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:01 pm

Softball is as much of a sport is not more than Ping Pong, Badminton, Synch. Swimming, Beach Volleyball, etc etc etc. In 1992 when the U.S. Dream Team was demolishing the world in basketball, I didn't hear any calls to remove basketball as an olympic sport and now look, the world has caught up and basketball is competitive in a mear 12 years.

Banco

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:37 pm

That's hardly a comparison of like with like.

There's no case to remove basketball because it's a pretty international game. Even if the US were to win the gold medal every four years all that would mean is that they were the best at it, in the same way that the Chinese are the best at table tennis. I don't see a problem with that. It doesn't alter the fact that basketball is a world game - possibly second only to football in that respect.

Softball isn't even close to being a true international game. The US win it every time because they're pretty much the only ones who play it.

That's why people sneer at its inclusion. Basketball is a different matter entirely.

KROC

Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:46 pm

Ping Pong isn't exactly a "sport" around the world. In the U.S. it's something you do when you are drunk and bored...you go down to the basement, brush off the 3 years of dust that has collected on the ping pong table since the last time you played, and you play for about 20 minutes, then it goes back to collecting dust.

Softball is obviously played in enough countires to warrant it to be an olympic sport. Just like ping pong...and the only time I hear of that game is every 4 years at olympic time.

pacificjourney

Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:55 pm

I have to agree about softball. It is played fairly widely but certainly not enough to actually meet the IOC's own requirements.

The reason it is in the Olympics is because of the IOC's gender equality rules. No new sports without an equal number of events for women, so when baseball went in so did softball. Considering that baseball is played in a very limited way internationally as well does make the whole thing pretty ridiculous.

Table tennis isn't ping pong. It is a very widely played international sport and besides it doesn't take any great effort to host. Any indoor hall will do unlike baseball and softball which need purpose built arenas good for nothing else. What the hell is Greece going to do with a baseball stadium ?

" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

KROC

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:43 pm

Ping Pong = Table Tennis.

Baseball and Softball stadiums can be multi-purpose stadiums as well that can host Soccer, Rugby, and whatever else that is played on a similiar field. Thats what Greece will do with a new stadium.

pacificjourney

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:49 pm

50,000 seater baseball stadia MIGHT be able to convert to a soccer field but these ones in Greece will be expensive rust in 6 months time.

Sure as shit no ones going to play baseball in them !

KROC

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:15 pm

So you're saying Greece won't play Soccer in them? Or any other sport for that matter? In the States, stadiums can go from Football to Baseball to Soccer with little effort. Or are you just looking to complain about Baseball being in the Olympics?

QIguy24

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:19 pm

PJ,

I'm sure as well that the greeks will play soccer in their new stadium. This new stadium will probably be the new homestadium for AEK Athens or Panathinaikos. And I'm sure they will fill the stadium up every time. The Greeks love soccer. It's their life. Especially now after they won the European championship.

JeffM

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:39 pm

Maybe he is right... Look what happened to the first baseball stadium built in europe...  Big grin

QIguy24

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:43 pm

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Haha! I must admit Jeffie. You really can be funny once in a while Big grin

[Edited 2004-08-25 16:44:13]

pacificjourney

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:44 pm

QIguy24 try and follow the conversation. We are talking about the BASEBALL stadium ! BTW no greek club has signed up for any of the new stadiums, plenty of talk but no money.

KROC no they won't. Why go to the expense of converting a baseball field into yet another soccer stadium when they don't even have use for the Oympic stadium as such, not to mention the practice athletics track.

These stadiums in the states you are talking about are huge and like I said capable (at serious construction cost in movable seating) of being dual purpose. Why would anyone in Greece spend the money to convert a smallish baseball stadium when plenty of purpose built soccer stadiums are already going begging ?

PS Do we really need more reasons to complain about baseball at the Olympics ?

QIguy24

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:55 pm

PJ.

Umm... Really is that what you talked about? I didn't know that.  Insane

I gave you my version about making the stadium into a football stadium. But maybe I should cut it out in paper for you so you can understand it.

Do you even know anything about Greek soccer? Greek soccer is a big business now. they have some of the strongest teams in Europe. So what makes you think that neither of those teams wont use the new Baseball stadium? Phanatinakos home stadium is very old. They will probably change it out sooner or later.

But once again you go after the poster without reading what I wrote.

pacificjourney

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:01 am

Well for starters the baseball stadium seats only 6,000. Again, why bother with the expense of converting a small baseball stadium when plenty of purpose built football stadia are going under-used.

If it were such 'big business' why hasn't anyone signed up to take the main Olympic stadium yet ?

Soccer will not be played in the ex-baseball or softball stadiums and neither will baseball or softball.

KROC

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:02 am

PJ, you are not getting it. The converson from baseball field to Soccer Field requires little effort and next to no cost. All that needs to be done is the bases pulled out, the pitchers mound leveled, Soccer Goals installed and lines painted on the field. It is that simple. Here in Crapchester we have a dedicated baseball stadium. Once we got a Soccer Team a few years ago (  Sad ) they started playing at the baseball stadium. It takes no effort or cost to change up the field, especially if its permanent. They all require about the same amount of land space for the game. And the fact you are talking about cost for movable seating is ridiculous. After spending BILLIONS of dollars for venues that will only be used one time, I would not be crying about movable seating.

pacificjourney

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:15 am

Even assuming they could be changed (and I still say they are too small compared to the ones you are thinking of) who is going to want and pay for all this. A pro greek club would want seating for at least 30,000 !

If Greek clubs are famous for anything in Europe, it's being broke AND they already have purpose built stadiums to play in let's not forget. No Greek club has yet signed on to move into any of the Olympic venues, at least 3 of which are far better suited to soccer than these we are discussing.

KROC

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:39 am

Baseball Stadiums seat 50 grand plus. And you mean to tell me that at some point nobody will want to play Soccer in a Brand new Stadium? And besides, whether they want to play in it or not is not the issue, the issue was a rotting baseball stadium......and the fact its not the case, as the stadium can be configured for many other events such as Soccer and the like, and while you keep bringing up "who is going to pay for it", I already have shown the cost is negligable.

Derico

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:32 am

I enjoy baseball and don't mind it being included in the Olympics because I think enough countries can be put together to make a tournament. Softball is another matter entirely. Theres no 'international' competition to speak of for the US team, and I don't care about the 'gender' equality rules.

I would be quite frankly embarrassed to celebrate a victory in a tournament that has no opposition to speak of. The US wins in swimming are far more rewarding because they were hard earned by those great swimmers.

If Softball is in the Olympics, then so should Hurling, Lacrosse, and Hockey in skates.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

CaptOveur

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:40 am

I was actually guessing KROC was probably pretty good at ping pong. In my experience the best ping pong players in the world are USAF enlisted types in jobs that require them to be somewhere for long hours but not really doing much, I figured weather geek would meet those criteria.

I agree ping pong is not really an olympic sport but softball should be. I was hoping to see some horny boy post pictures of Jenny Finch or something, that is really the only reason I clicked this thread.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

KROC

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:45 am

Dude, just go to http://www.JennyFinch.org and see all the pics you want.

And for the record, Ping Pong is more of a game for not quite accepted college kids (see can't get into a frat), who have been with the same girl (at least its a girl) for the past 3 years or so and really can't tell if they are happy or not, and are still going to school with nothing better to do.

racko

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:50 am

It's played all over the world, so I don't see why table tennis shouldn't be olympic. I don't know how many countries play softball, but if there are enough contestants, I don't see why it shouldn't be olympic either.

KROC

Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:11 am

Racko. Pocket Pool is played all over the world too, and thats not an Olympic Sport.....

pacificjourney

Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:54 pm

Perhaps it should be KROC, you would finally get all the international recognition you deserve .... (you just knew that was coming).