NUAir
Topic Author

MTV 2004 VMA's (drug Use?)

Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:55 am

If any of you watched the MTV Video Music Awards last night did you get the feeling that Puff Daddy, Bruce Willis and Naomi Campbell were all high on coke when they came off the yacht? All of my colleagues at work (very intellectual group) thought the exact same thing, however, I haven't read anything about it in any papers or websites today...

However, as an aging fan of MTV (I think I'm almost to the VH1 age) I thought that this was a pretty good awards show and the act with Alicia Keys and Stevie Wonder was one of the best songs ever performed at a VMA awards, Outkast also had a fairly good performance with Andre 3000's solo at the beginning exceptionally well done.

What needed to be left out is the inclusion of the Bush and Kerry daughters who took the attention off of music and on politics where it stayed for the rest of the night. This is a music awards show not a debate or campaign rally so keep it to the music we get enough of the politics on every other TV channel 24 hours a day.

"How Many Assholes we got on this ship?" - Lord Helmet

KROC

RE: MTV 2004 VMA's (drug Use?)

Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:58 am

Wow. I'm impressed that not only you could tell they were high, but off of which drug as well. Usually if I think someone is baked, I am unable to pinpoint the exact drug as well.  Insane

mdsh00

Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:04 am

This is a music awards show not a debate or campaign rally so keep it to the music we get enough of the politics on every other TV channel 24 hours a day.

I think it's better to keep it in there. There are a lot of MTVheads of voting age that remain very ignorant about politics. They are the ones that haven't realized that unlike high school, it's no longer "cool" to be dumb or ignorant. So I say that if MTV want's to create political awareness for those that don't pay attention to current events, good for them.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

ConcordeBoy

Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:09 am

What needed to be left out is the inclusion of the Bush and Kerry daughters

I didn't see the Bush daughters (thankfully)... did the crowd react to them the same as the [much more aesthetically-pleasing] Kerry girls?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

VSlover

Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:37 am

yes.

the kerry daughters were cheered and booed.

the bush daughters (via videolink) were booed just as much.

drudge only chose to focus on the kerrys though.

i thought this awards show sucked. it was an assualt on your senses.

dmeeky243

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:18 am

Yeah, I wasn't much impressed, seemed chaotic with the arena floor and several different stages, also all the floor people with their towel twirling or other scripted props. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The Alicia Keys part was good though, I really enjoyed that. Hey, if you missed it, it should be the only thing on Mtv for what? The next week or so! Haha
"I have a favorite dish, which tends to change daily depending on my mood, or whether I have a hangover, or whether it's

WellHung

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:23 am

If I had to sit through hours of no-talents hacks belting out shit music and gladhanding each other over awards no one cares about, you're damn straight I'd be high on something, too.