United Airline
Topic Author

Your Thoughts On Spanish Food

Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:18 pm

LOVE IT! Very nice especially the Tapas like mussels, Spanish sausages etc. Also main course like steak.

You?

TriStar500

RE: Your Thoughts On Spanish Food

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:48 am

You should try "Spanish Fly". It's GREAT !!!

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Mir

Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:01 am

In the US, actual Spanish food is pretty hard to come by (most of it is Mexican), but I have had it a few times, and it was quite good.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Logan22L

Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:50 am

In the Boston area, there are three excellent Spanish restaurants:

Dali in Somerville, corner of Washington and Beacon, Tapeo, Newbury St. in the Back Bay, and Cuchi Cuchi, Main Street in Cambridge. They are all owned by the same management, and the food, service, and atmosphere are terrific. Personally, I like Dali the best. Green-lipped mussels, pork tenderloin with blue goat cheese, garlic shrimp, scallops in saffron, and plenty of sangria.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Schoenorama

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:13 am

My favourite....

... with a chunk of bread and a glass of tinto.
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

ly7e7

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:15 am

One word : Paella

2 things are endless: ignorance and space

ZKSUJ

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:22 am

Just a question, is it the same or similar to mexican food ie Tacos, Buritos, Nachos?

ly7e7

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:23 am

ZKSUJ

Does Paella looks like a Taco to you?

Smile
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

ZKSUJ

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:25 am

Sorry man, I don't even know what a Paella is  Sad I was just wondering seeing as mexicans speak spanish and have quite a few spanish roots.

mdsh00

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:31 am

ZKSUJ,

As far as I am aware, Spanish food and Mexican food aren't very similiar. Just like American food and British food.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Logan22L

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:34 am

ZKSUJ: Check out my favorite Spanish tapas (sort of hors d'ouerves/appetizers) in reply #3. Very unlike Mexican food - almost more like French food. I prefer tapas to the main dishes such as paella; they're fantastic!

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

scottieprecord

Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:01 am

I haven't even ever heard of an actual Spanish Cuisine. In San Antonio, it's all Mexican and Tex-Mex. It looks good though, possibly better than those wonderful encharitos (the epiphany of Tex-Mex).

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:46 am

There are a few very good Spanish restaurants in Hong Kong. Expensive though...

SlamClick

Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:05 am

Mexican food is a thing apart. It is not even much like other Latin American cuisine. I happen to love it but it is not like the food of Spain. The "Mexican" food you get in the USA is mostly typical of the northern and northwestern parts of Mexico. Get down into subtropical Mexico and it is different.

Ahh, the food of Spain. One of my great travel memories was getting up early enough to enjoy the hotel breakfast in Madrid. Things you'd never see on the breakfast line in Atlantic City!

Love the Serrano ham, the manchego cheese, the wonderful olives and, oh by the way, the sherry. All about big strong flavors and subtle little ones. Can I go back now?

There is a great restaurant in Madrid, just off the Calle Princesa, maybe near the Cuartel del Conde Duque. Can't think of the name of it, but ask for the "garlic" restaurant. Worth hunting it up.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

North County

Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:24 am

American vs. British food....

Except for the great fish and chips calling anything British "food" is a reach....

just kidding...

Lan_Fanatic

Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:23 am

Ohhh...spanish food... DELICIOUS.

Paella, Tortilla Española, Jamón Serrano.

Also they have some delicious desserts, like the "Yemitas de Ávila", small egg thingys with a spherical shape, and Turrones, specially the Yema Tostada turrón.

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:32 am

Spanish WINES are very nice too. Like Rioja. Very traditional. A bit like French wine.

Any tapas that you people recommend?

Seems that Spanish people tend to share tapas rather than order main courses separately.

dmeeky243

Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:46 am

Quite possibly, the greatest night of my life was spent in San Sebastian, for a guy who likes to drink and likes good food, it was absolute heaven. The bars set the tapas out, and you only go there for what they're known for, hopping around throughout the night. It was hard to abstain from the American style gorging, especially with an entire plate of sauteed wild shrooms and egg, mmm, fish cakes, squid stuffed with boudin noir, grilled sardines! Absolutely spectacular. And what's a better breakfast after a night out on the town? Churros, fried dough, sugar and chocolate. Some got that one right! Mexican food is vastly vastly different, even by American standards. How many dairy cows do you see in Mexico? No cheddar cheese, no sour cream, almost never the finer cuts of beef, usually and economy cut of puerco. Necessity breeds the greatest cooks, nothing like a packed bowl of menudo! (the sopa not the band.)
"I have a favorite dish, which tends to change daily depending on my mood, or whether I have a hangover, or whether it's

StevenUhl777

Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:49 pm

I'm going to don my flame suit and speak in the minority here:

I think Spanish food sucks! I spent two weeks there in 2001, and couldn't wait to leave. It was such a struggle to find anything decent to try to eat. Scenery's great, people are laid back and easy to talk to, but the food is something entirely different. Thank god for GERMAN FOOD! Now that's food!

Flame suit off now....
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

prosa

Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:52 pm

There's a Mexican restaurant near me that also serves some Spanish items. One of them is lenguada canarias, if I've got the spelling right, which is fillet of sole with bananas. It may sound weird, but it's delicious. And yes, paella is one of the finer foods anywhere.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

dmeeky243

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:01 pm

StevenUHL777~ Haha, it remind me of my friend Dave. We both lived in Florence for a year, and he was there with me, as I was diving into everything, he was practically gagging! I seriously believe that he lived off a box of Frosted Flakes and mustard sandwiches the week we were there. Good memories! Whatever floats your boat.
"I have a favorite dish, which tends to change daily depending on my mood, or whether I have a hangover, or whether it's

L-188

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:04 pm

Hey, anybody have any good tappas recipies they wish to share.

I bought a set of pans at Costco a while back that where called "Tappas" pans, correct me if I am wrong but aren't Tappas the munchies that are served hot at bars, kind of an evening brunch kind of deal.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dmeeky243

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:32 pm

Yep, you're correct. What types of recipes are you looking for? Preferences? Cheese, seafood, beef? I have literally a closet full of cookbooks, binders and magazines, plus all the stuff from my own catering gigs....so, let me know what you like, then I'll see what I can dig up.

MD11Engineer

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:35 pm

Reminding me of a breakfast of "Chocolate con churros" in Barcelona or a nice flan after a good meal!

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

L-188

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:39 pm

Do they have any Tappas receipies that use Moose?

Just kidding  Laugh out loud

Well I can get my hands on pretty decent seafood up here, but truth be told I really don't have a preference.

Thanks for the offer Dmeeky243
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dmeeky243

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:52 pm

Hey, you never know. Spicy moose sausage with clams and a tomato relish might be pretty good! I'll pull out a could books tonight and see if anything jumps out at me. AK should give you a great seafood supply, my buddy is in Kodiak and he loves it there. Interesting bit of history for y'all 'tapar' means to cover, and the first tapas were small plates of food, that were placed on top of wine glasses to keep those pesky fruit flies out. Thusly, we get these wonderful small plates of food. Trust me, they beat the hell out of chicken wings and mozzarella sticks!

MD11~ I swear, aren't churros quite possibly the greatest thing of all time? The flan is exceptional too, but I remember waking up every morning, feeling a bit woozy and the churro is Spain's answer to a greasy cheeseburger for breakfast.

dmeeky243

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:53 pm

Hey, you never know. Spicy moose sausage with clams and a tomato relish might be pretty good! I'll pull out a couple books tonight and see if anything jumps out at me. AK should give you a great seafood supply, my buddy is in Kodiak and he loves it there. Interesting bit of history for y'all 'tapar' means to cover, and the first tapas were small plates of food, that were placed on top of wine glasses to keep those pesky fruit flies out. Thusly, we get these wonderful small plates of food. Trust me, they beat the hell out of chicken wings and mozzarella sticks!

MD11~ I swear, aren't churros quite possibly the greatest thing of all time? The flan is exceptional too, but I remember waking up every morning, feeling a bit woozy and the churro is Spain's answer to a greasy cheeseburger for breakfast.

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:53 pm

Tapas means SNACKS right? Starters......

StevenUhl777,

There should be some good Spanish restaurants in Spain. Perhaps you couldn't find the right one and that's it.  Smile

ZKSUJ

Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:59 pm

Thanks for clearling it up for me.

Schoenorama

Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:52 pm

SlamClick:

There is a great restaurant in Madrid, just off the Calle Princesa, maybe near the Cuartel del Conde Duque. Can't think of the name of it, but ask for the "garlic" restaurant. Worth hunting it up.

Were you among the Flight Crews that regularly stayed at the Hotel Princesa? I'm asking you because I know of a very, very cheap restaurant in the vicinity were US flight crews went for dinner.

This is more or less the location of the place I'm talking about.

[Edited 2004-09-02 14:01:58]

ryanb741

Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:17 pm

Some of it is quite nice but I wouldn't classify Spanish food up there with the world renowned cuisines of France, Italy, Hong Kong, Thailand etc. Tortilla is quite nice and chorizo sausage (the fresh one) also, but I don't like seafood so I can't really comment on some of the famous Spanis dishes like Paella. What was disgusting is this cold soup called Gaspacho - man that made me retch.

In the UK Tapas are ridiculously overpriced, I'm sure that isn't the case in Spain though
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:35 pm

Many restaurants are ridiculously overpriced in Hong Kong too!  Smile

SlamClick

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:27 am

Schoenorama I am familiar with the area on your map and the Princesa (and El Corte Inglés in the point of the triangle - a great place to buy wine) but the restaurant I am talking about is near the bottom of your map. Maybe on Duque de Liria or San Bernardino?

P.S. I can imagine USAir crews frequenting a "cheap" restaurant.  Smile

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

IBERIA747

Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:48 am

Ryanb741:

I am sorry to disagree with you, but Spanish cuisine is much more than just tortilla, paella, gazpacho, chorizo and jamón.
There are thousands and thousands of different regional recipes that have taken Spanish cuisine to the top of the finest cuisines worldwide. Besides, search for the names of Ferrán Adriá and Juan María Arzak (both Spaniards)...world´s top cheffs.

BTW, I love Mexican food...it´s tasty, strong, spicy...but it doesn´t have any similarity to Spanish food.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

ryanb741

Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:27 am

IBERIA747 - Spanish cuising is at the top of the finest cuisines worldwide? Bollocks, absolute bollocks man. It's a decent European cuisine about on a par with Germany etc, but to compare it to France, Italy, Hong Kong or Thailand is insane. Those countries are world renowned for their cuisines. Spanish food is good, but not a world class cuisine
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

prebennorholm

Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:44 am

I hate the smell of olive.
I hate the taste of olive.
Unfortunately everything you get in Spain smells and tastes all the same - of olive.

In Sweden they also have surströmming, but:
1. normally they don't offer it to visitors
2. normally they eat it outdoor only, preferably on a beach
3. and when the wind is blowing away from land.

Olive oil should be used as diesel fuel only. No, not in cars, but on ocean going ships.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

babybus

Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:06 am

The trouble with Spainish food is that there are no vegetables. Savour the potato in your Tortilla Espanol as that's the last vegetable you'll see for your entire meal.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

dmeeky243

Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:26 am

RyanB741: Iberia747 is correct. Adria and Arzak are considered to be some of the top chefs in the world. People make pilgrimages to their restaurants. Numerous current American chefs went to Spain, to spend months working for no pay to learn from these masters. With an extensive base and numerous resources, Spanish cuisine is regarded as some of the most innovative and exciting stuff around. How it varies through the regions is what I loved. I loved Basque country, and San Sebastian was great. I was unable to head south of Barcelona, does the food drift more towards the Moroccan middle east influence?

Schoenorama

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:50 am

SlamClick:

If you're talking about the San Bernardino Street and surroundings, it could have been any of the 100's of places out there.

The flight crews I was talking about were former TWA flight crews.

Ryanb741:

" Bollocks, absolute bollocks man. It's a decent European cuisine about on a par with Germany etc. "

The Spanish cuisine is not something you normally get during your package holiday to Benidorm. It's not just paella (or pajella as most Brits stubornly call it) and tortilla with some sangría. It's a lot more than that, and certainly of a much higher level than German cuisine.

Marcus

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:35 am

BTW, I love Mexican food...it´s tasty, strong, spicy...but it doesn´t have any similarity to Spanish food.

Oh yes..........the only thing common with Mexican and Spanish food is the languaje, but then of course this is not allways the case if you know what I mean.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:23 am

Babybus,

No vegetables? I had some last time. Guess you can order a salad as a side-dish.

alcregular

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:37 am

I love it! I used to live in Spain and my favourite was ali oli with lots of bread to spread it on. I can't seem to but anything remotely similar here
Why drive when you can fly?

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:03 am

I LOVE Olive Oil! Better than butter IMO

PJ295

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:25 am

I love spanish food!!!!!
Paella and tortilla de patatas are great. You can't forget the sangria either!!!
A good place to get authentic spanish food in the USA can be found in Tampa.

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

dmeeky243

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:26 am

Hey ALCRegular, don't buy it! make it!

-Alioli-
Whenever I go to visit my my friends, it is required that i whip this up it has replaced onion dip on Sundays during football season, this is my best approximation, but still pretty basic.

12 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp. salt (koser or sea preferred)
1/2 tsp. water
1 cup olive oil (good stuff, don't be a cheap-o!)
juice of half a lemon

Mash the garlic with the salt, by adding the salt, the garlic will form more of a paste, when it forms a smooth paste, add in the water and continute to mix, the slowly start drizzling the oil in. Its best (classicly) if you have a mortar & pestle to do it, but I'm sure you could improvise. The key is to form an emulsion (I'll spare the food science lesson, but its like making mayo) which is a thick and creamy mixture. About halfway through the oil, add the lemon juice, then go back to a slow stream of oil. If it just doesn't seem to be coming together, that's ok, the taste is the same, just not the texture, to try and thicken it up, a chef from Florence I worked for told me that you can add bread to this sauce to help give it more body, however, you then MUST add chopped parsley...why? I dunno, we cooks are whacky like that.

L-188~ I just got home, I'll try and dig up some recipes! I didn't forget.

[Edited 2004-09-03 04:28:18]

prosa

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:29 am

-Alioli-
Whenever I go to visit my my friends, it is required that i whip this up it has replaced onion dip on Sundays during football season, this is my best approximation, but still pretty basic.
12 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp. salt (koser or sea preferred)
1/2 tsp. water
1 cup olive oil (good stuff, don't be a cheap-o!)
juice of half a lemon

I gained about five pounds just from reading that recipe  Smile

"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

MD11Engineer

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:56 am

Once ate Conejo con ajos in Teruel (UTA will hate my for this!  Wink/being sarcastic ), tasted good, but I´m not so much a friend of rabbit (too many small bones). I can´t talk about paella or other seafood, since I´m allergic to the same and fish.
But I´ve got to say I´ve travelled all over Spain (non tourist areas) and I never starved!

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:58 am

Any main course that you people recommend?

dmeeky243

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:13 pm

I'm a sucker for duck and lamb, lamb especally with a good rioja...mmm, all this talk, when I get to work tomorrow I'm making some duck cakes...yummy!

United Airline
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:15 pm

Haha! Cool!

Any good Spanish wines that you guys recommend? Top ones I mean.