Bofredrik
Topic Author

NPR-radio, The Best In USA?

Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:11 pm

Could you recommend NPR?
What is the other alternatives of neutral radio?

What is the best (R) radio show?
What's i the best (D) radio show?
Both with national coverage.

Mir

RE: NPR-radio, The Best In USA?

Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:59 pm

NPR is very good, and I would recommend it.

As for Republican and Democratic shows, there is a vast difference between most and best. So far, all of them suck.

Most Republican show: Rush Limbaugh (surprise, surprise)
Most Democratic show: Al Franken (not full national coverage yet, but they're working on it)
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JeffM

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:14 am

Most Democratic show: Al Franken (not full national coverage yet, but they're working on it)

Yes, once they can figure out how to get people to listen to such garbage willfully.  Big grin

b757300

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:26 am

Well first of all NPR isn't neutral. They have a well known liberal bias that their hosts openly espouse.

What is the best (R) radio show?

Rush Limbaugh has the widest coverage of any talk show, followed probably by Sean Hannity. Rush starts at 12:00 P.M. Eastern Time and Hannity is on at 3:00 P.M. Eastern. Another good show is Michael Reagan (son of President Reagan) but he doesn't have near the coverage.

What's is the best (D) radio show?

Well, talk radio is mostly the domain of conservative commentators but there are some liberals out there if you can find them. Not counting NPR, Air America is one but they're only carried on a few stations. Alan Comles has a national show but I'm not sure when it is on. He used to follow Rush years ago but our only local talk radio station dropped him 7 or 8 years ago Too bad, he was actually fun to listen too even though I didn't agree with him.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

desertjets

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:26 am

NPR is good and low-key... which in many ways is the exact opposite of most commercial news radio in the US. Which is full of confrontational style talk format.

The only thing that I can fault NPR news for is that it is definately geared towards the academic/intelligenisa elite. Which I can put some people off.

Aside from the news shows they have some great culture shows, "Science Friday" is always good to catch. As is "Car Talk" and "Wait Wait There's More."
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Mir

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:35 am

Besides the BBC, Car Talk is the best thing that NPR has. It's hilarious.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

slider

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:50 am

As an independent, I like the candor of Michael Savage moreso than any other radio personality today.

He doesn't carry the water like Limbaugh or Hannity. Brutally honest and bold.

I like Glenn Beck too from time to time. And Larry Elder is on late nights; I don't get to hear him much at all, but he's refreshing as a black conservative.

ArmitageShanks

Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:00 am

I like Neal Boortz for the "Republican" side. He's more of a funny guy than a politician. He's a libertarian too.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:53 am

Ah yes, NPR.... so "great" that is has to be subsidized in order to survive  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

PS. Just so you know, NPR is about as 'neutral' as Michael Moore and Anne Coulter  Big grin
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

dan-air

Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:52 am

Just so you know, NPR is about as 'neutral' as Michael Moore and Anne Coulter

Really? Which personalities on NPR employ the same level of partisan rhetoric that Limbaugh or Hannity spew on a daily basis? What specifically have your heard on NPR that would demonstrate a "liberal bias"?

mdsh00

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:04 am

The only thing that I can fault NPR news for is that it is definately geared towards the academic/intelligenisa elite. Which I can put some people off.

That's very true about NPR. It's highly geared toward the more educated groups. I like their more broad coverage of world events rather than the narrowminded "focus on the US" approach by many other networks. Of course the lack of commentators who spew righteous crap like O'Reilly keeps away the conservatives who then turn around and label it a "liberal" station.

God forbid that stations like NPR and PBS actually try to inform the public about other things that go on around the world.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:07 am

Bofredrik:

One way to tell if a media is good or not is by how many right wingers point a finger and say "liberal". It makes them uncomfortable if a station or newspaper doesn't tell them exactly what to think and say over and over - it gives both sides of an issue and encourages you to make your own decision.

Judging by this post alone, I'd say NPR is AOK.

Besides with ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC and so on, in our pocket...Who needs little ole NPR?  Big grin

B

slider

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:25 am

The problem isn't the inherent spin proferred by any one individual or talk radio network.

I take umbrage with the fact that NPR claims to be neutral, unbiased and simply a news site.

With Limbaugh, Hannity, et al, you know what you're getting and they make no bones about it.

Now who's disingenuous?  Smile

ConcordeBoy

Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:26 am

Really?

Quite  Big grin

Which personalities on NPR employ the same level of partisan rhetoric that Limbaugh or Hannity spew on a daily basis?

Vicky O'Hara, Juan Williams, Daniel Pinkwater, and I would've said Mara Liasson in the past... though she seems to have actually become much less partisan as of late.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

L-188

Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:33 am

I love how some people here are equating NPR's far left wing bias with, "Intellect"

Hardly the case, I would love to know how much of their audience is hopped up on pot at any given time.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Bofredrik
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:50 am

Thanks for all your comments! It was nice of you.

In Sweden do we not have any "political" talk shows at all.
We have public broadcasting + private radio that only plays
music and send advertising.

Swedish Radio
Sveriges Radio (Swedish Radio) is the public service radio broadcaster in Sweden. The Swedish public service media sector consists of three separate and independent companies, Sveriges Radio (SR), Sveriges Television (SVT) and Utbildningsradion (UR, the Educational Broadcasting Company).

All three companies are owned by a foundation and entirely funded by license fees. Advertising is not permitted.

http://www.sr.se/omsr/english/

With internet can you be as informed as a citizen in another country with all links to radio stations. That is nice!

jcs17

Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:54 am

First of all, NPR should not exist. Not only because its a worthless government entity, but because the government should not be funding partisian radio shows. That being said, NPR is absolute garbage. I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than listen to some of the most boring, leftist hosts in the world. Saying that NPR is 'neutral' is like saying that Sean Hannity is a left-winger. I like Michael Medved, Sean Hannity, The Savage Nation, Neil Boortz, and I really don't think Rush Limbaugh is all that great, but he does present his opinions well.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

mdsh00

Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:54 am

Hardly the case, I would love to know how much of their audience is hopped up on pot at any given time.

Not me. NPR was on practically every day in the Research Lab I used to work at.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Q330

Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:13 am

You really have no grounds for saying that at all. It's a bit sad if you think that every NPR listener is like that.

Sure NPR may be biased, but then so is every other news source. I'd venture to say that it's less biased than most others. The distinction should also be made between the actual news on NPR and the other "editorial" stuff where most of the "bias" is.

-Q
Long live the A330!

L-188

Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:27 am

You have never been to Homer Alaska Q330.

I grew up there, I know the type of people that listen to the NPR station KBBI there, trust me. In some places you can tell how far you are from home, by counting the grow lights.

pacificjourney

Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:45 am

NPR stands out from other US radio in that it is something you actually have to LISTEN to. All the rest is just verbal wall paper - miss 15 minutes of it and you can easily pick up where you left off.

Car Talk is very good.

Ignore people like Jcs17, they just hate it when people use big words they don't understand in complete sentences.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

Q330

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:22 am

You have never been to Homer Alaska Q330.

I grew up there, I know the type of people that listen to the NPR station KBBI there

Ok, that's fine but you shouldn't make generalizations based on only one place...

Did you really spend enough time with those types of people to know what radio station they listened to?

-Q

[Edited 2004-09-03 01:24:46]
Long live the A330!

L-188

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:27 am

Pretty hard not spend time with those types, there are only 4K people in the whole town  Laugh out loud

Superfly

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:38 am

NPR is a great news station. That's the only radio station I listen to in my car. They present facts and cover events in great detail.
There is no liberal bias of spin put on anything. It's just news.
They have had liberal and conservative guest on there shows.

My favorites are Terry Gross and Michael Krasney.
Bring back the Concorde

PJ295

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:19 am

I love NPR they cover many small stories that others will not broadcast. I am always learning something new on my commute to and from work. I would rather expand my knowlege each day while stuck in traffic than listen to some mindless unoriginal on air dj self gloss (all of the Stern wannabe's), a political windbag going on and on and on about the same issues ad nasuem (either republican bias or democratic bias), or top 40 radio (where the same crappy songs are repeated over and over again)
I am neither a republican or a democrat.....I have voted both ways many times in the past for whomever I thought to be the better candidate. I do find npr does lean a little to the left. However I do not find that to be nearly as bad or offensive as political talk radio ( both right and left) where it is dogma radio. I always like to learn about something new.....I do not like to turn my brain off....so NPR is my choice.

My two cents

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:42 am

I would say Glenn Beck for the Republicans.