dtwclipper

When Did ER Jump The Shark

Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:40 am

If you're an ER fan, when do you think it jumped the shark?

Doug Ross leaving

Carol moving to Washington

Marks death

Falling Helicopters

Kerry the resident lesbian

or

Elizabeth being too old to play a Doctor.

I think it was Marks death.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

EA CO AS

RE: When Did ER Jump The Shark

Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:49 am

I agree - the departure of Dr. Ross and Nurse Hathaway were ok and could be lived with, but Dr. Mark Greene was one of the integral characters of the show, and the newbies they've taken on just aren't likable!

And Alex Kingston - OLD?!? Hell, even my girlfriend thinks she's sexy as hell! The producers are nuts.

One question I have - why does ANYONE seek medical treatment there? If my local ER were blown up, quarantined and shot up THAT many times in 10 years, I'd stay as far away from it as possible!  Nuts
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

whitehatter

Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:52 am

And Alex Kingston - OLD?!? Hell, even my girlfriend thinks she's sexy as hell! The producers are nuts.

Has the series she did before ER ever been shown in the US?

"Moll Flanders"

Somehow I think not...full frontal nudity and all the trimmings might be a little too hard for you lot over there! Even though the incest scenes were supposedly in Virginia!

Big grin
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

srbmod

Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:03 pm

They Jumped The Shark with that live episode stunt.

redngold

Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:40 pm

Funny thing is, Ming-Na and Alex Kingston are the same age...

Although I have to say Kerry the resident lesbian annoys the heck out of me... Kerry was always a "stranger" and then they have to go EMphasize it? Why not give her a plot line like she's always been a "stranger" but people start getting to know her and she's got lots of surprises and personality if you just allow her to be herself.

redngold
Up, up and away!

dtwclipper

Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:18 pm

Elizabeth being too old to play a Doctor

I mentioned this, because NBC said they where going to let her go because they thought she was too old, not me.

Whitehatter:

Yes, that version of "Moll Flanders" has played in the US on cable, but not in a long time. I would love to see it again.

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

CaptOveur

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:39 am

ER jumped the shark sometime very early on when it became just another soap opera set in a hospital.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

redngold

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:02 am

Well, ER's definitely going to jump the shark soon, if it hasn't already...

Wyle Ready for "ER" Discharge
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=797&ncid=762&e=8&u=/eo/20040909/en_tv_eo/14895
Up, up and away!

cha747

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:13 am

One question I have - why does ANYONE seek medical treatment there? If my local ER were blown up, quarantined and shot up THAT many times in 10 years, I'd stay as far away from it as possible!

You'd be surprised. I haven't ever been there but the Emergency DEPARTMENT that is being depicted on ER (County General) is, allegedly, Cook County's ED in Chicago. Basically, if you need medical care, you go there. As I said...I've never been there but I've heard horror stories.

The producers and writers actually reach-out to the Emergency Medicine community for story lines. They've been at several conferences (the last one I heard of was an American College of Emergency Physicians - ACEP Conference a few years ago). They try to get practitioners to write-down interesting cases. I guess they're running dry because the cases they show now are not the bread-and-butter ones they started-out with but exotic zebras.

In anycase, I think the show has gone on long enough...I think it died when Eriq LaSalle (Dr. Benton) left the show a few seasons ago.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

CPH-R

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:21 am

How about the original version of "The Kingdom" - if anyone has ever seen that. The rumors have it that most of it was based loosely on real events and that the writers even had to remove a few real parts because they found it too far out  Big thumbs up

I personally think they should have left it when Mark Greene died.

redngold

Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:57 am

I know someone who does actually work at Cook County Hospital in Chicago, IL. She is a social worker and she is usually on the night shift, doing psychiatric intake. She said it's nothing like what is depicted on ER -- that ER exaggerates the number of unusual cases coming in to a major metropolitan emergency room. Also, in the beginning at least, ER grossly exaggerated the number of "crashed/crashing" individuals who were successfully resuscitated. CPR usually saves, at most, 10% of individuals in cardiac arrest, even on a good day.

redngold
Up, up and away!

L-188

Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:45 pm

When "Goose" left the show no question.

I really haven't been able to catch too many episodes in the past three years though since i switched to 12 hours shifts at work.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.