Danny
Topic Author

How Would The World Vote In US Elections?

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:12 am

Found this interesting poll in one of polish newspapers:
http://wiadomosci.gazeta.pl/wiadomosci/1,53600,2278483.html
Poll was made in 35 countries around the world.
Results:
Norway 74 - 7 for Kerry (remaining no opinion)
Germany 74 - 10 for Kerry
France 64 - 5 for Kerry
Holland 63 - 5 for Kerry
Sweden 58 - 10 for Kerry
Canada 61 - 16 for Kerry
Italy 58 - 14 for Kerry
Brazil 57 - 14 for Kerry
China 51 - 12 for Kerry
Spain 45 - 7 for Kerry
Argentina 43 - 6 for Kerry
Kenya 58 - 25 for Kerry
Uruguay 34 - 5 for Kerry
UK 47 - 16 for Kerry
Kazachstan 47 - 12 for Kerry
Venezuela 48 - 22 for Kerry
Ghana 48 - 24 for Kerry
Czech Rep. 42 - 28 for Kerry
Indonesia 57 - 34 for Kerry
Zimbabwe 28 - 6 for Kerry
Columbia 47 - 26 for Kerry
Japan 43 - 23 for Kerry
Mexico 38 - 18 for Kerry
Turkey 48 - 25 for Kerry
South Africa 48 - 23 for Kerry
Tanzania 44 - 30 for Kerry
Rep Dominicana 51 - 38 for Kerry
Peru 37 - 26 for Kerry
Russia 20 - 10 for Kerry
Bolivia 25 - 16 for Kerry
India 34 - 33 for Kerry
Thailand 33 - 30 for Bush
Poland 31 - 26 for Bush
Nigeria 33 - 27 for Bush
Philippines 57 - 32 for Bush

The poll was made by University of Maryland and Globescan.

Boeing7E7

RE: How Would The World Vote In US Elections?

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:19 am

That's why the world doesn't vote in our elections.

North County

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:22 am

Great case for why Americans should vote for Bush

Sabena 690

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:23 am

No, Boeing7E7, but it gives an indication about how the world thinks about US politics.

Now you can ask yourself: are we, 4% of the World's population, idiots for selection Bush, or is the other 96% idiot for selecting Kerry.

Danny
Topic Author

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:29 am

For me the most interesting thing was that only 30% of Russian gives a s**t who's gonna be a president in the US.

Qb001

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:36 am

No doubt that by re-electing Bush, the USA will end-up being more isolated than ever since 1941.

As an example, yesterday, even small Costa-Rica said it was retiring from the so-called "Coalition of the willing" in Iraq. Not that their presence had any significance, militarily speaking. But politically, it tends to show that this invasion is really only a Bush project, nothing the world really needed.

The American people will suffer from this isolation; jobs will be lost.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

N6376M

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:39 am

Can someone tell me how many Germans voted for Hitler?

slider

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:41 am

But politically, it tends to show that this invasion is really only a Bush project, nothing the world really needed.

Yeah, we didn't really need to get rid of a genocidal dictator who slaughtered his own people in defiance of over a decade's worth of UN resolutions while the rest of the world sat idly by.

Just a Bush thing.

You people are cracked.

The correct answer to the question of the thread title is, WHO CARES???!!!!

Logan22L

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:41 am

Sabena690: Excellent point. Actually, though, we are the 4% of idiots who voted in Gore, but got stuck with Bush. Funny how so many conservative Americans look down on other countries opinions of US politics/actions, but are the first to back these actions. I think it's very interesting how these other countries have overwhelmingly selected Kerry, but I strongly suspect that it's because he's not GWB, not because he's John Kerry. Pretty clear the world is sick of what's going on and how it's being conducted.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Andreas

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:47 am

Whoa...looks to me as if those supercool never-surrendering macho-rightwing Bushiwhiners (did I forget something?) do care A LOT about what the world says...just look at those irritated reactions  Big grin Big grin

...not exactly the kind of reaction when you don't care, right, good old boys? Big grin

N6376m: You'll find that in any history book, I guess...unfortunately you won't find any hints there about USA 2004  Big grin
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Logan22L

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:47 am

To all of you who don't care about how the rest of the world would vote:

1) Do you realize that we are a nation that deals with other nations of the world, and we rely on commerce and good relations to continue our economic freedom?

2) If certain other nations of the world "liked" us, 9/11 may not have happened. Still don't care how other nations think?

Logan

[Edited 2004-09-10 18:53:43]
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

FLVILLA

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:53 am

I just wish this information would be on American Media, T.V, newspapers everything. The American Public needs to know what the world thinks, it is the whole idea of making a rational desicion is to of made it by considering every aspect and stance of other people in the neighbourhood,county,state,country WORLD
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

NoUFO

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:57 am

Of course it's really up to the US Americans to elect their President.

But if you don't care about what the outside world thinks, then you didn't care about the overwhelming support and compassion you witnessed exactly three years ago, right?
I support the right to arm bears

TWFirst

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:08 am

>>Whoa...looks to me as if those supercool never-surrendering macho-rightwing Bushiwhiners (did I forget something?) do care A LOT about what the world says...just look at those irritated reactions

...not exactly the kind of reaction when you don't care, right, good old boys?

N6376m: You'll find that in any history book, I guess...unfortunately you won't find any hints there about USA 2004<<

Excellent Andreas!  Big grin

Tschüss.

(Ich heisse Andreas auch!)
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

JetService

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:18 am

NoUFO, don't be too insulted. I'm sure Germans don't really want American input on whom your leader should be. I suspect you only want Germans to decide that. That's the way it should be. If it makes you feel any better. I don't give two-shits about whom the people from the 49 other states feel the governor of Indiana should be. Nor do I care about whom the other 5,000,000 people from Indiana think the mayor of Fort Wayne should be. See how that works? No offense to anyone.
"Shaddap you!"

TWFirst

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:25 am

Yes, but the governor of Indiana and the mayor of Fort Wayne don't affect the world and its politics and economy, and try to pursuade other countries to send troops to die in Arab countries as does the "leader of the free world". No offense, but it doesn't seem real hard to me to figure out why citizens of the world might have an opinion about who they would like to see as U.S. president.

Sabena 690

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:27 am

I'm sure Germans don't really want American input on whom your leader should be.

Yes, but there is always a factor that Americans easily like to forget: the fact that the US is a superpower means that the decisions taken by the Administration (in this case Bush and his entourage) have an influence on our life too.

Why should an American care about the next elections in Belgium (heck, do most Americans know what Belgium is?). Elections in Belgium don't have influence on US politics, but US elections do have an influence on our country.

slider

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:31 am

Why should an American care about the next elections in Belgium (heck, do most Americans know what Belgium is?). Elections in Belgium don't have influence on US politics, but US elections do have an influence on our country.

Ah, you can sense the wit. Yes, we know where Belgium is. We liberated it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

And you make a good point really as to what this is all about ultimately. It's an inadequacy/fear/envy/what have you that America has some mystical influence over you. Truth is, can you quantify how our actions affect your life? Specifically?

I'd be curious to hear how. Sincerely.

cwapilot

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:35 am

Were those polled tested, as to whether the information they were using to make their decision was fact or fiction? Most of the things I hear from people from outside the U.S. regarding the President are completely false. It is also interesting to note that the same sort of venom was spewed forth regarding Ronald Reagan.

I am certain that, if exit polling was conducted after, say, a German or French, or any other nation's election, and people were asked to rank their reasons for choosing the person or party that they did, that the opinions of foreigners would not even rank. So, why are people in the United States, who do not consider the opinions of foreigners a top consideration in their voting decision, "supercool never-surrendering macho-rightwing Bushiwhiners?"

(did I forget something?) --- yes, you did! With comments like that, you make your self out to be nothing more than the mirror image of what you are trying to make others out to be. Some of us in America would say "same sh*t, different pile." You also miss the point that, the irritation is due to the fact that, while the US is ordered to keeps its nose out of other people's business, the rest of the world seems to feel free to attempt to meddle in our affairs at will. When we surrender our sovereignty to the EU or the UN, or whatever, then feel free to weigh in. Until then, to use a British colloquialism, p*ss off!
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

TWFirst

Slider:

You honestly cannot figure out how the most powerful country in the world might affect the lives of all of the world's citizens??? Please. Have you travelled the world? I do not think inadequacy/envy has anything to do with it, especially in Europe. Fear... that's a different story. Who wouldn't be fearful of a superpower that acts unilaterally?

"Sincerely"...

Klaus

JetService

JetService: I'm sure Germans don't really want American input on whom your leader should be. I suspect you only want Germans to decide that.

External opinions are still relevant and welcome. Although it was quite irregular that the US ambassador publicly demanded before the last Bundestag elections that the german population vote out the Schröder administration. That did indeed cross several lines and probably contributed to Schröder´s victory.

Quite a few people felt reminded of soviet ambassador to the former GDR Abrassimov regularly declaring "big brother´s" demands...

solarix

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:36 am

Just as the bumper sticker says.... the big question is "Who would Osama want you to vote for?"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

TWFirst

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:39 am

Osama wouldn't even want people to vote... he would want a dictatorial fundamentalist Muslim state... which is why voting and debating the direction and leadership of our country are so important.

slider

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:48 am

Slider:

You honestly cannot figure out how the most powerful country in the world might affect the lives of all of the world's citizens??? Please. Have you travelled the world? I do not think inadequacy/envy has anything to do with it, especially in Europe. Fear... that's a different story. Who wouldn't be fearful of a superpower that acts unilaterally?

Certainly I'm not naive to think the US doesn't have an impact...my question was specifically to Sabene to outline HOW the US affects his life in Belgium.

I've traveled to 4 continents, half of Europe included.

And if you want to talk about fear, then be careful lest your tongue be forked. You weren't afraid of having mad dictators on your doorstep earlier but now you're afraid of a nation that has traditionally acted in an amazingly just way throughout it's history of being a superpower. And again, the descriptor "unilaterally" is thrown out there. I guess you're forgetting about those dozen or so UN resolutions? Scores of nations that sent troops? Dozens that still stand by us?

If the world wants to see true unilateralism, all they have to do is keep being appeasers, and they'll see the TRUE meaning of unilateralism soon enough.

JetService

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:54 am

Yes, but the governor of Indiana and the mayor of Fort Wayne don't affect the world and its politics and economy, and try to pursuade other countries to send troops to die in Arab countries as does the "leader of the free world". No offense, but it doesn't seem real hard to me to figure out why citizens of the world might have an opinion about who they would like to see as U.S. president.

Fair enough, TWFirst, but Americans are far more affected than any other therefore outside opinion should have no bearing on the outcome. As far as simply making their opinions known, of course there's no big deal with that. First of all, I did hear about this poll already, so some US outlet did report it. But honestly, I don't think it would have much influence. People vote almost exclusively their homes, families, wallets, not the impact on Belgium or any other European city*.

*- Big grin
"Shaddap you!"

BREmer

Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:59 am

Can someone tell me how many Germans voted for Hitler?

Hitler never got more than 35% of the votes in democratic federal elections.

It's funny how so many people always ask why Germans let a man who only got a 1/3 of the votes take over a whole country and shape it like he wanted. I look at the Land of the Free and see a majority of the population neglecting the opinion of the rest of the world and allowing a federal government to take away consititutional rights from the people under the 'Patriot Act'.

I'm sure Germans don't really want American input on whom your leader should be.
Go ahead. I don't mind. I live in a thing called democracy, where everybody is allowed to say their honest opinion, regardless of race, nationality or social status.

Lukas  Smile

TWFirst

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:02 am

>>I guess you're forgetting about those dozen or so UN resolutions?<<

You mean the resolutions calling for Saddam to give up his WMD's? The ones our intelligence were so sure he had, but didn't exist?

>>Dozens that still stand by us? <<

Could you please list, no wait... I'll use your language... could you please quantify those "dozens"??

Oh yes... we've acted SO justly (Abu Gharib, denying legal status/counsel to "detainees", having 1000 of our soldiers die in the desert thus far without an exit strategy, etc. etc.)

TWFirst

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:06 am

>> I look at the Land of the Free and see a majority of the population neglecting the opinion of the rest of the world and allowing a federal government to take away consititutional rights from the people under the 'Patriot Act'.<<

AMEN! And don't forget our current president was elected without a majority of the popular vote as well.

Forgot to mention the Patriot Act in my previous post as a reason why stating categorically that the U.S. always acts "justly" is warped IMO.

N6376M

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:29 am

Didn't Senators Kerry and Edwards vote in favor of the Patriot Act? As is the traditional right extended to any Senator, they can place an anonymous hold on any piece of legislation. Not only did they not do this, they voted in favor of the legislation - now they're trying to distance themselves from the vote.

Russophile

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:36 am

For me the most interesting thing was that only 30% of Russian gives a s**t who's gonna be a president in the US.

Most Russians really could care less. This is my experience by dealing with them. And less me tell you why. No matter whether it is a Democrat, Republic, Independent, or whatever, who is put into power, they have a feeling they will get butt-f***ed in exactly the same way as they did by their predecessor.

BGR1962

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:37 am

Be careful what you say about the rest of the world selecting the next leader of the U.S. Some people here can't take being told that we don't need their help in selecting our next president.

They always do such a fine job of it in the rest of the world!  Smile

NoUFO

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:38 am

JetService, I will humbly respect the outcome of the November elections in any case and would like to add that it seems inappropriate for Germans to tell Americans how a democracy should be run. At the same time: allied nations should respect each other's more than the Bush Administration sometimes does/did.

While it is true that the rest of the world shouldn't tell Americans who they should vote for, it was said that the poll indicates how the world thinks about US (foreign) politics.
If you want your allies to stand with you, it's contradictory to claim that you don't care about what they think about the you.
I support the right to arm bears

peterpuck

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:39 am

Kerry and Edwards were probably afraid to vote against it, lest they be labeled un-American. Americans are not as free to express their opinion as they think. Remember the McCarthy bullshit way back when...everyone with a different opinion was a communist.

StevenUhl777

Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:52 am

Go ahead. I don't mind. I live in a thing called democracy, where everybody is allowed to say their honest opinion, regardless of race, nationality or social status.

No, the Germans don't live in a thing called democracy. They live in somthing called a FEDERAL REPUBLIC...hence the name "Bundesrepublik Deutschland"...Americans also live in a FEDERAL REPUBLIC. Many people fail to understand this simple fact.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

MD11Engineer

Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:11 am

Cow Manure!

The term "Republic" only states that the country is owned by the population, not by a monarch. A monarchy can be democratic, see Britain.
Democracy means that the will of the majority of the population decides the policy.
A republic can be democratic or dictatorial, e.g. former East germany was called the German Democratic Republic, but wasn´t very democtatic.
In the Federal Republic we chose a representative democratic system, this means, since it is impractical to decide every small matter through a plebicite, we elect a government and two chambers of parliament (this is where the federation comes in) every 4 years to decide in our name.
Some countriews like Switzerlanduse a very basic form of democracy, with everybody meeiting in th4e town square and lifting his / her hand for yeah or nay.
Many Americans tend to see their president as something like a monarch elected for max. 8 years. Us Europeans are much more respectless towardss our elected "leaders" (they shouldn´t be leaders but representants).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

North County

Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:12 am

Funny, but Americans don't take these kind of polls for leaders in other nations.

I would have loved to see the results from 1980 and 1984.

Since the world "LOVED" Reagan.

I wonder if they used old communist polling/election methods to come up with the results? I love when 99% of the people "re-elect" a communist leader.

Russiophile - the people of Russia have only themselves to blame for the way they were screwed over for so many years. Don't blame it on the US.

Thanks for the input now can Bush campaign us those numbers in a campaign ad?

N6376M

Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:16 am

Saddam was re-elected with 100% of the vote the last time he ran.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:30 am

Now you can ask yourself: are we, 4% of the World's population, idiots for selection Bush, or is the other 96% idiot for selecting Kerry.

Oh please.  Insane Why try to make it seem more complicated than it is:

The 96% also stand to do better if a EuroCentric BleedingHeart UN-Bottom-boy ascends to the cornerstone of world power.... versus the ever loathed Texan Crusader

...oh, and as for the topic in general:

Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

jaysit

Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:36 am

I think the world would NOT have voted for Clay Aiken if it could have voted in a US election. I reckon the fat guy would have won.

And thats about the only election they could have voted for.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

ryanb741

Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:40 am

Well if it was me voting as a Brit I would probably vote Republican. I don't particularly like Bush but Kerry is hardly an awesome alternative, and in any case I support the war on terror and I agree with many Republican policies.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

TWFirst

Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:32 am

>>I think the world would NOT have voted for Clay Aiken if it could have voted in a US election. I reckon the fat guy would have won.<<

The fat guy DID win Jaysit... just didn't have the commercial success of Clay.

mapguy

Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:21 am

The Dem's campaign is imploding, no one knows what Kerry stands for (changes by the minute) and they are now grasping at straws.

Pathetic.

L410Turbolet

Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:21 am

I DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS WHAT THE REST OF THE WORLD THINKS!

Obviously you don't care so much that you've already posted it twice in one thread...

jaysit

Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:36 am

"The fat guy DID win Jaysit... just didn't have the commercial success of Clay."

He did?
But the untalented guy got the prize?
Guess American Idol really does mirror the US elections.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

JetService

Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:06 am

AMEN! And don't forget our current president was elected without a majority of the popular vote as well

Dude, that's happened the last 3 elections. G H Bush was the last to win a majority of the popular vote.
"Shaddap you!"

solnabo

Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:10 am

" I dont give a rats ass.................."

That´s exactly what we can read on Bush lips right now  Big grin

Micke/SE  Insane
Airbus SAS - Love them both

airplay

Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:06 am

So why should Americans care about what other countries think? Because their prosperity and livelyhood depend on the relationships formed with the international community.

I think its time for Canada to look to the European Union as an alternative majority trade partner.

They are diverse, and stable and the Euro is quickly gaining a reputation as hard currency. Let the US go find some other country to abuse with "free trade".

N317AS

Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:10 pm

My guess is Dan Rather was asking the poll questions and it went something like this.

DR - If you had your choice of who to vote for;

John Kerry, who out of the goodness of the US taxpayer just gave you a $3000 check for doing jack S___ or

George Bush who didn't give you squat because he's more concerned about the people in the USA than you.

Who would you pick.

FLW - Ohh yes!!! Screw the USA. I'll vote for Kerry.

Luckily the opinions of people like that only matter to people in the USA who can't make up their own minds.
Some people are like Slinkies. They bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Phaeton

Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:59 pm

What amazes me is that according to that poll 83% of the Kenyan population has an opinion on the US election. That is even more than Canada or France.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.", Winston Churchill

StarCruiser

Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:18 am

The really sad fact is that the American media will crucify anyone attempting to run for the office. Why any decent person would even put her/his hat in the ring is beyond me. I just wonder how many decent people who could have been president just simply say to themselves, "It's not worth it!" It's not worth having everyone with an agenda tear apart your life, your family and your career. As a result we get the candidates we deserve. Look back now, they're a pretty sorry lot.

George W. Bush is the sorriest man ever to inhabit the White House. The world knows it, and so do I. His whole presidency is based on lies and his obsession with Iraq is downright frightening. Meanwhile Osama bin Laden is on the run. Why are we not even mentioning him these days? Has he already been captured to show up a day before the election? Nothing would surprise me with this totally self absorbed administration. I believe in fiscal conservatism. This man spends money like a drunken sailor. Or in his case he spends the country's money like a drunken airman. It's time for him to leave. Just how much is he drinking lately?

Four more years? Make that four more wars!