leviticus

Which Country Is It Easiest To Become Citizen Of?

Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:09 pm

Well the topic says it all, what do you think/know ?

Usually in most places you have to be a legal resident for a few years (5-10) and then you will be granted a citizenship, as far as I know in New Zealand it is only 2 years, in some countries it is enough that your ancestors were from the place, you do not even have to visit the country (Germany and Ireland used to have those laws). In the US and Israel you can become a citizen quite easily if you join the army (12-18 months, have to be a resident though). I also heard that Venezuela is supposed to be an easy place. There are also some more extreme places, in Andorra for instance you have to be a resident for at least 18 years if you got there before you turned 18, ant 26-32 years if after you turned 18... Wonder how it is in North Korea or Libya  Wink/being sarcastic So, do you have any interesting information ?

[Edited 2004-09-17 13:16:47]

777ER
Crew

RE: Which Country Is It Easiest To Become Citizen Of?

Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:14 pm

New Zealand is knowen as a friendly country and it is easy to become a citizen.

ussherd

Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:52 pm

A person with one Irish-born grandparent may claim Irish citizenship. Compare that to the UK, where citizenship isn't even granted to people born outside the UK to a British mother and a non-British father.

A foreigner must reside in Venezuela for 10 years (reduced to 5 years for nationals of Spain, Portugal, Italy and any Latin American or Caribbean state) before they can become a citizen. According to hearsay it's quite easy to buy Venezuelan citizenship. ¡Viva la corrupción!
Cada loco con su tema...

luv2fly

Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:59 pm

I am not sure though I do not believe that if you are not a citizen of the USA you can even join the army?
You can cut the irony with a knife

ryanb741

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:02 pm

I know the hardest country to gain citizenship in Thailand. 100 Citizenships are granted each year and to qualify you have to have been resident in Thailand for 10 years, speak fluent Thai, have been recommended by a senior Thai member of the community and then pay a USD $16000 fee.

The USA is pretty easy - there is even a citizenship lottery
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

leviticus

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:04 pm

Well thanks for the info Ussherd ! Wonder how much it would cost, I saw a documentary on BBC a few months ago about a terror cell in France, they bough "real" (government issued, but not earned so to say) passports for 6000 Euros.

Luv2fly, You are aloud to enlist as long as you have a green card. But you can not became an officer, or the commander of a ship/aircraft before you become a citizen.

L410Turbolet

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:05 pm

I am not sure though I do not believe that if you are not a citizen of the USA you can even join the army?

There were stories about US Army soldiers, who were wounded during major combat operations in Iraq, who received citizenship earlier than they normally would.
I used to do some work for the US Army during their field exercises here in the Czech Rep. and I remember talking to guys with Green Cards only from Haiti, Honduras, Poland, Israel... almost like a French Foreign Legion  Wink/being sarcastic

ryanb741

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:11 pm

I should also point out that people of afro-caribbean descent will not usually be considered for Thai nationality, racist I know but that's life eh.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

Qb001

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:50 pm

If you want to become a Canadian citizen, I suggest you come here late 2005, early 2006 - specifically in the province of Quebec. Ask for your Canadian citizenship right away. Obviously, your request will end up at the bottom of the list, from which it will slowly bubble up at the best speed bureaucracy can provide.

But here's the trick.

There will be election here in Quebec in 2007-2008, that will put the Quebec's nationalist party (PQ) back in power. And as that party is likely to call another referendum, then your request for Canadian citizenship will get approved right away. That's right, during referendum campaigns here in Quebec, all the Canadian citizenship requests are simply rubber-stamped, in less time than you can say "Oh! Canada...".

It happened just like that twice before, in 1980 and in 1995. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:53 pm

The US of course, just cross the river.
Signed,
Illegal Mexican Immigrants
Go big or go home

QANTASforever

Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:59 pm

In order to become a Monegasque citizen, a member of one's direct family (typically one's father or husband - it is mainly male oriented) must be Monegasque. The only other way is to be granted citizenship by the sovereign, Prince Rainier III.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

yyz717

Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:41 pm

I know the hardest country to gain citizenship in Thailand. 100 Citizenships are granted each year and to qualify you have to have been resident in Thailand for 10 years, speak fluent Thai, have been recommended by a senior Thai member of the community and then pay a USD $16000 fee.

I should also point out that people of afro-caribbean descent will not usually be considered for Thai nationality, racist I know but that's life eh.

Can you imagine if a Western nation adopted such a barbaric stance? This is nothing less than sheer racism. And yet, the world accepts it. Thailand should be boycotted by the world at large until it ends such racist policy.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

damirc

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:15 am

Yyz717 ...

Be a Muslim and try to get Israeli citizenship.

Now read your last paragraph.

D.

yyz717

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:34 am

Even worse, try being a Jew and even travel to Saudi Arabia, let alone seek citizenship. SA will not even let you enter the country.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

MD11Engineer

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:46 am

Concerning Israel, I´ve got a Southafrican colleague, who has been working in Israel for a long time (IAI, IMI). His two daughters both served in the Israeli military, but when they applied for a citizenship, or even for a permanent residency (their father lost his job after the second intifada), they got told politely to f*ck off because they were not Jewish. Understandably they are quite p*ssed off.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ryanb741

Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:48 am

Yyz717 - I agree, although to be fair the afro-caribbean population hasn't really covered itself in glory in Thailand - 95% of foreigner crimes are by afro-caribbeans (mostly Nigerians in the drug trade). So if you are Afro Caribbean and want Thai nationality you had better be squeaky clean with a good sponsor and a wedge load of $$$$. Anyway your average Afro-Caribbean hasn't got $16,000 to spend on citizenship to a country where the wages are probably only slightly higher than at home. Not when you can get Us or EU nationality a heck of a lot easier

babybus

Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:20 am

In Saudi Arabia it is stated that you will never become a Saudi citizen regardless of where you come from or from whatever religion. However, there is a rule that says if you somehow manage to stay in the country past the expiry date of your Hajj visa after 5 or 10 years you can seek citizenship. That's if you don't get caught and don't get your head chopped off in the meantime.

Good luck everyone!! Failing that come to England. Everyone gets in and everyone can stay for as long as they like. You don't even have to speak English for the rest of your life. We're great!

and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

slider

Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:27 am

Even worse, try being a Jew and even travel to Saudi Arabia, let alone seek citizenship. SA will not even let you enter the country.

Or worse yet- try getting INTO some of those nations if you have an Israeli passport stamp. Yikes.

damirc

Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:06 am

Agreed. But we can hardly call Saudi Arabia a western society ... whereas Israel is one.

D.

luisde8cd

Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:42 am

Here in Venezuela its extremely easy to become a citizen if you go to a pro-goverment meeting and say that you support the revolution and that you will vote for Chavez. After you do that you will inmediately receive your ID card or Cedula indicating that you are a Venezuelan citizen. With your ID you can easily get your own Venezuelan passport. Thats the cheap way... but you can also buy your citizenship if you know people that work inside the inmigration agency.

Wonders of a populist and corrupt goverment.

leviticus

Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:45 am

I hear a lot of interesting thing, I am especially tempted to move to Canada if that Quebec thing would really work, also the Venezuelan method is rather interesting, anybody know how much it probably would cost ?  Wink/being sarcastic

One thing that I have been wondering for a while is the laws of EU countries, I am quite an EU buff myself with citizenship from two EU countries but I still do not know if the EU (or Schengen) will ever have a common naturalization policy, anybody ? Will it ever happen that the requirements for an EU citizenship will be the same in every country ? How is it now ?

Another thing that I can not seem to find out is, how do you become a citizen of an EU country if you already are a citizen of another EU country, do you only have to live there for a certain time ? Since work and stay visas are not needed, it's difficult to determine how long you have been there.

PPGMD

Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:54 am

US Military Service and Citizenship:
You must have a green card to enlist in the military, but your time in the military counts twice as much as the time required by citizenship.

You must be a citizen to become a commissioned officer.

I am not sure if you are able to qualify for a security clearance with a green card.

Becoming a Citizen in general:
Getting you citizenship is fairly easy if you have a green card and the required time in country, which is the hard part. The hardest part for my mother was getting her paperwork through the INS, they lost her paperwork, including quite a sum of money paid for her birth certificate from Tehran, and getting it translated. But one call to the local Senator fixed it right up.
At worst, you screw up and die.

ArgInMIA

Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:07 am

Argentina: 2 years living.. or Just deposit 30k U$D in an argentinian account and you'll get your citizenship in 2 years.. also you can pay some immigration officer arround 1000 U$D and get it in 24hs !
Alto.. Mucho mas alto.. hasta la cumbre

Derico

Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:44 am

Quote by ARGinMIA #22:

"...also you can pay some immigration officer arround 1000 U$D and get it in 24hs !..."

Reminds me of a story a Bolivian construction guy told me. A couple of acquaintances of his paid $1000 to smugglers back in 98 to get by bus from Yacuiba across the border and all the way to Cordoba. They were almost caught twice, first at the border and then near Jujuy by Road Control. Then they were duped by the smugglers and dumped outside the suburbs of Jujuy (the promise a ride to Cordoba).

What the smugglers forgot was to take back the argentine passports they had given the two guys in Bolivia. The smugglers apparenty tried to use those passports with as many people as possible, but they usually asked for them to be returned in the 'safe houses', when there's no chance of getting stopped by police. They never ask before the safe house and apparently the smugglers forgot this in their haste to get back to the border.

So, they dumped the two guys 1000km short of Cordoba, but the two Bolivians were now fully Argentine Citizens... Big grin

My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

iakobos

Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:14 am

In principle, one need only to show "some evidence" that one of his/her grand parents was of Greek descent, and it is smooth and quick. (1/4th)
In view of the Olympic Games, they extended it one level up, one has to show some Greek descent for one great grand parent. (1/8th)

We did end up with a Gold medalist who does not know a word of Greek. (real)
We also had a softball team speaking only US English.(but no medal)

Before every major sport competition the rule comes into force,
(weightlifting, handball, volleyball, basketball, etc...) and also just prior to elections where the left is in dire needs of votes.

Rumours has it that if you are very good in a sport, there will be somebody at the Minsitry ready to testify that you are from Greek descent.

airlinelover

RE: Which Country Is It Easiest To Become Citizen

Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:24 pm

The easiest is the one you are born in.

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

kalakaua

Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:30 pm

Well, my Korean friend was born in Japan, but isn't a natural citizen of Japan. He's considered a Korean Citizen, even if his parents were born in Japan, too.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

Alessandro

Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:40 pm

Estonia is a different place, if having ancestor that was Estonian citizens during the 1940ies you get one (like I did).
Easiest? Heard someone that took Bangladeshi citizenship for bribe of a few
hundred US$...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

jasepl

Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:02 pm

Alessandro, why would anyone want to take Bangladeshi citizenship? Unless they were, I don't know, Rwandan before.

QIguy24

Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:05 pm

Jasepl,

Isn't there a bigger chance to get asylum if you are citizen of Bangladesh? That would be my guess.

Russophile

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:32 pm

The Seychelles will grant citizenship to anyone who is willing to invest US$25,000 in the country. And for $10 million, they will grant you immunity for any criminal acts you may have committed in other countries, thereby guaranteeing you will not be extradited. This was introduced around 10 years ago.

Alessandro

Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:39 pm

Jasepl, I heard someone did for thrills, surely some without citizenship (Palestinian?) could do that...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

jasepl

Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:27 pm

Alessandro, that's what I was thinking would have to be the case. Not to bash Bangladesh, but they've got to be towards the bottom of the citizinship wishlist. Or, as QI said, to make your plight look worse than it is.

rojo

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:31 am

One thing that I have been wondering for a while is the laws of EU countries, I am quite an EU buff myself with citizenship from two EU countries but I still do not know if the EU (or Schengen) will ever have a common naturalization policy, anybody ? Will it ever happen that the requirements for an EU citizenship will be the same in every country ? How is it now ?

Another thing that I can not seem to find out is, how do you become a citizen of an EU country if you already are a citizen of another EU country, do you only have to live there for a certain time ? Since work and stay visas are not needed, it's difficult to determine how long you have been there.

To answer your first question, I will say no, I don't think the EU countries will have a common naturalization or citizenship policy, at least in the next 20 years. Second, there is no EU citizenship still; EU citizenship was proposed during the negotiations of the EU constitution, so maybe we will see an EU citizenship in the future to complement citizenship of every EU country.

About your question on how do you become a citizen of an EU country if you are a citizen of another EU country, I know the Spanish case. In Spain, if you hold an EU passport and you want to move to Spain, it was compulsory to get a resident card (now it is optional). The resident card is your prove of residence and depending on the activity you will do in Spain you will get a 1 year resident card or a 5 year resident card (renewable). After you live 10 years in Spain, you can ask for Spanish citizenship. The only problem will be that you will have to resign to your previous citizenship. There are some tricks to keep you old citizenship, but it depends on the laws of your previous citizenship and on how you handle your paperwork. This compared to the 2 years residence required to nationals of Latin American countries, Portugal, Philippines, Equatorial Guinea and Sefardi, plus the benefit of not having to resign to your previous citizenship (dual citizenship allowed for these countries).

Another thing to have in mind in Europe is that citizenship in most EU countries is transmitted by blood, also called ius-sanguinis in law, so one of your parents has to be citizen of the country you were born to get citizenship. This compared to the US or most Latin American countries were it is transmitted by both, blood and soil (ius sanguinis or sanguineous and ius-solis or soil), so if you are born in the US or Mexico, no matter what citizenship your parents have, you get US or Mexican citizenship respectively. Additionally, citizenships like the Mexican are never lost, so if a Mexican tries to become a German citizen by naturalization (for example), Germany will make him resign his Mexican citizenship, but Mexico will never authorize that resignation and he will get to keep both...

Citizenship laws are quite complicated, and a thorough investigation is needed to see how each one works and how to get the easiest one (if people's purpose is to change citizenship or get a new one)...

ly7e7

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:38 am

Latin American countries, Portugal, Philippines, Equatorial Guinea and Sefardi

I assume that you are not speaking Hebrew, so what country "Sefardi" would be?
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

rjpieces

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:50 am

Genius, about 20% of Israel's population is Muslim.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

prosa

Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:07 am

Is it still the case that Israel automatically grants citizenship to any Jew who requests it?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

COTXDFW777AA

Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:31 am

Isn't true that many people in Ethiopia can have Israeli citizenship if they request it and can be transported by the government to Israel?
Texas- it's like a whole different country!

leviticus

Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:35 am

CoTXDFW777AA, that is indeed correct, it is also the reason why the Israeli army has the current world record in how many people can be transported in one single aircraft.

rjpieces

Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:57 am

Is it still the case that Israel automatically grants citizenship to any Jew who requests it?

Yes. Any Jew can move to Israel.

Isn't true that many people in Ethiopia can have Israeli citizenship if they request it and can be transported by the government to Israel?

I'm not sure if there are any Jews left in Ethiopia. But about 15 years ago, Israel airlifted thousands of starving Ethiopian Jews to Israel. There are Jews from all over the world in Israel--Americans, Indians, Australians, Ethiopians, Iraqis.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

leviticus

Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:59 am

Rjpieces, do you know how the actual process works for verifying ones Jewish background ?

rjpieces

Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:19 am

Rjpieces, do you know how the actual process works for verifying ones Jewish background ?

That is a good question. I'm not exactly sure. But anybody in the world could convert to Judaism and then be eligible to move to Israel. You don't have to be born Jewish to be Jewish and move to Israel.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/int16.htm

4B. For the purposes of this Law, "Jew" means a person who was born of a
Jewish mother or has become converted to Judaism and who is not a member
of another religion.

Anyhow, I'm sure Israel is careful about who they allow to emigrate. I don't know exactly how they check it but I'm sure they have some method in place.

jasepl

Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:22 am

Yes. Any Jew can move to Israel.

I think what he meant to ask was whether you automatically got a passport, or if you simply got permission to live there and a passport would follow later, if you met certain conditions.

If it were the latter, it wouldn't make getting Israeli citizenship any easier than many others.

rjpieces

Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:38 am

I think what he meant to ask was whether you automatically got a passport, or if you simply got permission to live there and a passport would follow later, if you met certain conditions.

If it were the latter, it wouldn't make getting Israeli citizenship any easier than many others.

Yes, you automatically get citizenship and a passport. American Jews are able to keep their American citizenship as well.

There are exceptions under the law, if a Jew has converted to another religion, or if the person posed an imminent danger to public health, state security, or the Jewish people as a whole. Terrorists are not entitled to "return", even if they were Jewish. Others, non-Jewish, who want to settle in Israel, whether Arab or from any other origin, may do so if thry meet the requirements set forth in the Law of Entry to Israel (1952) and the Law of Citizenship (1952), regarding naturalization. These requirements are similar to the immigration laws of most countries.

http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1948to1967_lawofreturn.php

Interesting little side note, as far as I know, there has only been one Jew who was denied entry into Israel. Meyer Lansky, the mobster, tried to move to Israel and when Golda Meir found out she intervened and denied him citizenship, for fear that he would bring the mafia to Israel.

jasepl

Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:45 am

Yes, you automatically get citizenship and a passport.
Thanks. That I did not know. But do they have to take up Israeli citizenship, or is there a choice?

American Jews are able to keep their American citizenship as well.
This I did know. Anyone can retain their original citizenship, so long as their country of origin does not make them give it up. India, for example, does not allow dual citizenship. So an Indian Jew would have to give it up.

theCoz

Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:34 am

Wow, New Zealand would be cool! In my situation, since my mother was originally a Canadian citizen, I beleive I am able to become a dual citizen rather easily there.

Sabena332

Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:37 am

Be a good soccer player and apply for a German passport, you will get it within a few days (*cough* Sean Dundee *cough*).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

rojo

Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:50 am

Latin American countries, Portugal, Philippines, Equatorial Guinea and Sefardi

I assume that you are not speaking Hebrew, so what country "Sefardi" would be?

This is how the Spanish civil code is written. Sefardies were included in the Spanish citizenship law because historically, there were Jews that lived in the Christian kingdoms of the Iberian peninsula and were once protected by the Christian kings. Today, it is known that 60% of the Jew population is considered sefardies and a huge part of them live in Morocco and in the Spanish cities of Ceuta and Melilla in Northern Africa. This community is the one targeted by the Spanish civil code, although I don't know exactly how you prove that you are sefardi to get the benefit of a 2 year legal residence in Spain to claim Spanish citizenship, but you can try to get the benefit and if you are denied, then appeal to the Spanish supreme court of justice...

panam330

Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:11 am

Qb001,

"And as that party is likely to call another referendum, then your request for Canadian citizenship will get approved right away. That's right, during referendum campaigns here in Quebec, all the Canadian citizenship requests are simply rubber-stamped, in less time than you can say "Oh! Canada..."."

Are you serious? I think that's a little tempting  Big grin.

damirc

Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:31 am

RJ:

Genius, about 20% of Israel's population is Muslim.

Yes. But how many of these Muslims are Muslims that the Israeli state didn't manage to get to flee and how many of these Muslims were granted citizenship after 1947 (if not gained by birth).

D.