zak

Mozilla Firefox Out Of Beta

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:49 am

since people often have problems with their internet exploder, i suggest everyone to try firefox, its freeware open source and, most importantly, does not have the constant security issues of IE

to quote o'reilly:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5588

"If you're an Internet Explorer user, you owe it to yourself to download FireFox and see how a real browser works. If you're already a FireFox user, download the latest version, for a slew of new features."

head over to http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ and download it for free !
10=2

Christa

RE: Mozilla Firefox Out Of Beta

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:53 am

Hey,

I have to agree..

It's so much better than IE... so much faster, no pop-up's.. It's just an excellent design!

DOWNLOAD IT!

Regards,

Christa
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

srbmod

Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:56 am

I switched to it as a result of some of the IE issues following the XP SP2 update, but still use it on some sites as IE seems to work better with those sites.

PPGMD

Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:08 am

Actually Zak, it's still not out of Beta, this is preview release is still considered a beta. Also current Firefox users will want to hold off until all the widgets and skins that they use are updated to 1.0. Which is the most annoying thing with Firefox upgrades.

Myself I browse the net with MyIE2, takes the IE engine, adds tabbed browsing, pop-up and ad blockers (which blocks most spyware too).
At worst, you screw up and die.

zak

Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:19 am

@PPGMD

i'll stick with the firefox/oreilly definition which means its out of beta:

"FireFox is finally out of beta, and is in its "preview" release, which means...well, it's a little hard to understand exactly what it means, other than that it's been improved, and is one step closer to its final form."
10=2

PPGMD

Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:23 am

I'm waiting until 1.0 is actually released later this fall, I am sick of having to go find updated versions of my plug ins with every new release, particularly with a browser I rarely use.

Espion007

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:12 am

well,from all the hype ive decided to download it. Ill see if its really that wonderful and fill you in.
Snakes on a Plane!

alcregular

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:20 am

Over the past few days, I've had to close down my computer and re-start everything cos someone hacked into it, but since then, I can't use faceparty's private chat. Does anyone know why this would be. I've doenloaded macromedia flash but that dosent help.
Why drive when you can fly?

BH346

Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:52 am

Firefox is definitely an improvement over IE. I switched over a month ago and it's faster and I've been getting much less spyware than I did with IE. Also, I never had anybody try to break through Norton Internet Security since I started using Firefox. I only have IE around now just to use SideStep.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

mdsh00

Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:13 am

I like firefox but sometimes I note a few deficiencies when it comes to asthetics of the webpage. When I go to slate.com with firefox, I can no longer open up the Java (or is it DirectX) menu that used to work with IE. But other than that...great browser!
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

alcregular

Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:43 am

I got my problem fixed yey!!! I had to download Java, so that sorted out my problem.
Why drive when you can fly?

Espion007

Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:19 am

Well,at first firefox didnt seem so great,but now i keep finding more and more features,and start to feel the speed of this new browser. Overall-its amazing.finally something other than IE that actually catches my eye.
Snakes on a Plane!

itsjustme

Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:12 pm

The latest version (1.0) is still just a preview release. You can check for yourselves by clicking on help and then "about mozilla firefox". There you will see that version 1.0 is a "preview release" and not a final version.

I agree, it's a nice change from IE but unfortunately, there are still some sites that either don't work at all with anything but IE (Yahoo's LaunchCAST radio) or only partially work with other browsers than IE. If Mozilla wants to be considered a true alternative, their marketing people need to get on the stick.

hawaiian717

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:40 am

Itsjustme wrote:
If Mozilla wants to be considered a true alternative, their marketing people need to get on the stick.

Better yet, web designers need to stop being lazy and code their web pages to standards, rather than being lazy and using FrontPage to make IE-only web sites.

I have also heard reports of pages that will only let you in if you use IE working just fine when Firefox is set to identify itself as IE (something I won't do, it just helps to inflate IE's perceived market share and give web developers less of a reason to do things right).

David / MRY

PPGMD

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:50 pm

Some sites that use code that is not compatible with Netscape/Mozilla in certain areas do browser checks at the beginning of their site.

You may not necessary goto the areas that are IE only.