MaverickM11
Topic Author

Biggest Mistake At Work?

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:07 am

What's the biggest mistake you've made at work?
E pur si muove -Galileo

ScarletHarlot

RE: Biggest Mistake At Work?

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:26 am

Believing I had job security.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
But that was when I ruled the world

leviticus

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:35 am

I once worked at a GSM store that supplied employees of huge corporations with private cell phones (sold tens or hundreds at each transaction). One day I got a phone call from a real bitch who started the conversation by yelling at me, I told her to fuck off and to hang herself (big mistake) because she was holding me responsible for something I have never heard of. Later on it turned out to be the vice president of their, at the time, most important customer (a Swedish energy corporation) who were supposed to buy 3000 phones. The deal never went through, and I do not really regret it either because she really was a horrible witch and I was supposed to quit two weeks after that incident anyway.

[Edited 2004-09-22 01:37:12]

Matt D

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:36 am

Putting up with bureaucratic BS and people who have never done my job trying to tell me how to do it, for 5 years.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:01 am

A few of us made a MASSIVE Drain-o bomb one day... it was massive. Bad idea.

KiwiNanday

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:48 am

A few of us made a MASSIVE Drain-o bomb one day... it was massive. Bad idea.

Do continue....
Silly Islamic extremists, it's just a cartoon!

ArmitageShanks

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:39 am

Pshew, ok... Here's the bomb story.

I was working in a restaurant that was literally falling apart and about to go out of business, so nobody there really cared what went on. Being males, we took full advantage of that.

So, one day I get the idea to make one of those bombs you always hear about...

We get this massive (empty) bucket used to store 5 gallons of mayonnaise, some industrial strength drain de-greaser, and about a square yard of aluminum foil, pour a good amount of drain-o in, throw the foil in, smash on the lid and throw that mother as far as we can in the parking lot behind the place. We wait.

About 30 seconds later this thing blows up like no other... You could see the vapor shock from this thing it was so big. We never found the bucket.

We were open for business and had customers when this happened, too. Good, good times.

MxCtrlr

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:49 am

30 years ago, I made a horrible vocational error and actively joined the airline industry. Then I got hired by PA and thought I had a job for life! BIG MISTAKE. This industry allowed me to see the world, meet some great people (and some scumbags too), meet my first wife (and lose her as well), taste the sweet taste of success, the bitterness of bankruptcy and enjoy a wealth of memories (good and bad) from that journey.

Truthfully though, I wouldn't trade this ride for anything else. I had a "real job" once and hated every minute of it. Like my signature line says, I want to arrive at the great end, bruised, beat up and smoking saying, 'That ride was a fu*king HOOT! Can I go again?'.

I came back to the airline industry, got jet-blasted by a 727 on my second day, breathed in the smell of burnt kerosene and knew immediately I WAS HOME AGAIN!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

clrd2go

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:59 am

Becoming romantically involved with a co worker.

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

nudelhirsch

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:14 pm

Well it is not really a terrible story, but one day I had to get some papers out of my drawer, enter some data in my computer and put the papers back. So I took the papers, left the drawer open because I would bring the papers back in a second and started my task. Then someone came to my desk to grab a certain folder. I gave my chair (on wheels) a big push to roll close to my file cabinet, but dammit, the drawer was in the way. 30 people staring at me, incredible noise, me laughing like crazy, and my boss was just 10 feet away from me, he even had a smile for that crappy situation. The drawer was broken then...pretty much deformed, but we had quite some fun...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

air2gxs

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:26 pm

I failed to turnover the fact that my had installed the sumping equipment on an inboard main on a jumbo. Got a call at home asking if I knew why there were several hundred pounds of fuel on the ramp around the airplane.

ZKSUJ

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:23 pm

My friend's friend went out with his boss' daughter. They broke up and his job is now on the line.

KROC

Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:29 pm

I only drank 3 beers with my "boss" instead of 5, and he was pissed!

Signed, LHMark

airlinelover

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:17 pm

Yes that is good as for you with the 5 beers as with boss of LHMark. Now ban as for lifted as me KROC!

By Signed,

Scottysair
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

KROC

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:33 pm

Getting caught sleeping in the galley of an A320!  Sad

Signed, Airlinelover

boeing767-383

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:19 pm

Driving a forklift into loads of Bacardi rum. I made damages for about 5000USD, and all I did were tipping over some liqourbottles  Smile

kaddyuk

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:43 pm

neglecting to torque tighten the bolts up on a CFM engine mount...

Dont worry, I realised and the engine left in working condition
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:10 am

Woohoo...I'm feelin' better already.
E pur si muove -Galileo

AGrayson514

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:31 am

I was working as a desk secretary for the Democratic Coordinate Campaign Office of Michigan a few weeks ago as a desk attendant. The woman who is in charge of volunteering in our precinct has a seven year old son who hangs around most of the day. He and I were having a vicious rubberband war, using the desk and the several tables and chairs in the lobby as our shields. Well, I let one fly, and at that very moment the head of the Fifth District walked through the door and it hit him square in the forehead.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy I didn't know I turned that shade of red.

~ Andrew Grayson
Give a little bit...

AIR757200

Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:35 am

...checked in the wrong passenger with similar names. Luckly they were both going to STL (on different flights). Let my supervisor know then did some ticketing changes (reset the E-tickets) to reflect the right people who actually flew. Neither passenger knew what was going on (just lots of typing) and everyone was on their merry way.

greasespot

Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:43 am

Hitting a cargo loader while towing a 737 to the hangar.
1 wing plank and aileron and slat had to be replaced. The A/C was out of service for a month...

Gereasespot
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Propulsion

Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:44 am

Wink/being sarcastic Accepting the job offer!!!  Wink/being sarcastic
A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it.

WindowSeat

Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:08 am

At the previous hotel I was working at, something I said to a colleague was completely taken out of context by a guest standing nearby (it was a humorous line from a comedy). Turned out that he made a big stink out of it and he was the guest speaker at the conference we had inhouse. He refused to go ahead with the seminar unless I was fired and the hotel stood to lose about 200 roomnight's business because of that. Oh what a mess!

Luckily our General Manager stood by me and we convinced the guy to finally stay. Turns out he was making a stink because he wanted to get a free stay out of us. My GM at the time, never said a word to me.

Thankfully that time working in operations is behind me. It is so much fun to work at the corporate office. Big grin

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

trickijedi

Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:34 am

Accepting the position.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

dmeeky243

Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:09 pm

I watched it happen to my friend. Working at one of Seattle's large hotels in one of my first jobs a few years ago, we had these rows of big 50 gallon steam kettles. One of the preps had made a large batch of chicken stock during the day, but it turns out the drain screen had been removed and not replaced. While he was draining a chicken bone had lodged itself in the spigot in the bottom. He cleaned out the kettle and all was fine, and the spigot closed. Enter my good friend. There was a large banquet later that night, and he had to make forty some gallons of alfredo. All went fine until he had to drain it into smaller vessels to cool, but the bone jammed and wouldn't close. 40 gallons of steaming alfredo all over the kitchen floor. It was unreal.
"I have a favorite dish, which tends to change daily depending on my mood, or whether I have a hangover, or whether it's

Convair990

Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:24 pm

My biggest mistake was when I worked at WDW (the mouse house), I was backing up one of those smaller cargo vans (a smaller truck that isn't intended for road driving), well I backed up a bit too far and rammed into a corporate van. Although there wasn't too much damage, there was the endless interviews between me , security,management and the shop stewards.
The University of Georgia Bulldogs are girlie men!!

An-225

Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:47 pm

I don't have many fatal mistakes at work, but here are a few stories.

One time when I worked in King Soopers, I sneezed on a customer. I packed his groceries, asked if he wanted some help out with his order and then sneezed on him. The look on his face was priceless.

My friend at UAL flipped a cart full of bags on the ramp and was immediately fired. He was on probation.

My other friend worked at this furniture store, and he managed to break a 10000 dollar glass table. He also managed to impale a Chevy Suburban on a forklift.

Alex.

Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

yooyoo

Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:06 pm

In bidding for an addition to a local University, I forgot to add a $120,000.00 cash allowance for structural steel components.

We were not happy after finding out our mistake while doing our analysis of the project.

Of course we were successful, being that we were the low bid. We did the project and here is the best thing.....we actually made good money on the job.

There is a saying up here......"The General Contractor that makes the biggest mistake in pricing/tendering gets the job."....and most cases makes some money.

What a strange world.  Smile

Andreas  Big thumbs up
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T