CanadianNorth
Topic Author

I Have A Question For You...

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:07 pm

Ok first off, this isn't a joke or anything. Your more than welcome to add some humour, but please keep in mind if it's not worth saying, or has nothing to do with the following, please don't say it or save it for another time.

Ok, Here it goes, one of those "what if" questions eh. I wont use names tonight people, so I'll just go with "Person A" and "Person B".

Say Person A was in ohh about grade 10 or 11, somewheres in there. And so was person B. Now person A and person B both go to the same school, and are not really best friends or anything but do have conversations maybe 2-3 times a week during school hours. Now heres where the question part starts. Say this person A kind of liked this person B. But this person A and this person B were both guys or both girls, and just for fun very few people know that person A is not exactly straight. And now, the main problemski with this setup is the small fact that person A really does not know if person B is ummm that way, aswell. So, if YOU were person A, what would you do?

Thanks for any replys.
CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

MxCtrlr

RE: I Have A Question For You...

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:15 pm

That's a sticky situation even if "Person A" and "Person B" were of opposite sexes. That they are the same sex poses a myriad of other problems for two people that age.

What "Person A" needs to decide is, if "Person B" isn't into same-sex arrangements, and "Person B" will most likely (if not of that persuation) blab it to everyone else in the school, can "Person A" handle the consequences. If "Person A" is ready for the possible (and, most likely) backlash, I would say to take the gamble and let "Person B" know how "Person A" feels.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

rotor1

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:22 pm

Don't waste your time. Go up to Johnny and ask him if he swings yer way. If so, thats great. If not, then move on. Its universal in both the hetero and homo worlds... dont waste time.

-Mike
The best aviation photo I've ever taken was rejected by Airliners.net

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:26 pm

Thats the whole problem... Person A is ussually the type that when he has a question he would just wonder over and start asking away, but this is different. Person A has worked hard to climb the social ladder, and just walking up to person B and asking him could work out great, or could mean a long and painfull fall to the bottom. Person A often takes chances, but this is one chance person A would like to find a way around. Person A wants to find out about person B, without anyone finding out about himself. Any suggestions for person A?

Yes, I will say that currently it is a very sticky situation with very few solutions that person A can think of.

CanadianNorth

[Edited 2004-09-22 06:30:47]

rotor1

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:36 pm

Thats why they call it a closet. If Johnny is a good person than he'll respect you if you ask him not to tell anyone, when he says he's straight. If you don't think he'll respect you like that if such a situation arises, then move on.

Don't stress about this shit. You should be stressing about money and how you can get it.

-Mike
The best aviation photo I've ever taken was rejected by Airliners.net

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:58 pm

Person A aint worried about person B loosing respect or telling anyone, its person A's and person B's friends being there to hear it and spending the rest of the week spreading it around. Now person A and person B only really see/talk when friends are around, so just walking up to person B and saying what needs to be said would be difficult for person A, and if person B turns out to not be that way, person A would never hear the end of it, which would not be very good for person A.

CanadianNorth

ctbarnes

Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:03 pm

What does it matter? If A likes B and vice-versa, and it moves beyond friendship, well, you've got your answer. A true friend knows everything about you and loves you all the same.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

ZKSUJ

Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:27 pm

In that situation, I would keep it to myself unless I was really sure.
I guess it is a different situation if you are a person who looks for someone of the same sex because it could turn out twice as bad if it went wrong.

beowulf

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:44 pm

This 'Person A' and 'Person B' stuff confuses me, really! As other already mentioned, 'Person A' might just want to wait a bit, maybe a situation arises where A and B can talk to each other without bystanders, etc. Now, if B knows about A's "desires" ... B should tell A his/her decision, at the right time.

Nick

Got a headache now, B's and A's ... brrrrr!!!  Nuts

klm672

Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:34 am

Person A can go and ask person B is he has a gf. If he says "yes" then he is straight, if B says "no", then A can ask, "what about a bf." B will make some sort of comment (I'm not that way, or no, I haven't found the right guy yet etc).

leviticus

Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:46 am

I second KLM672s idea, it is the far best so far.
Also when you do it, try not to act to serious or "stiff", like it would result in life or death (even if it might be that way)  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Lucky727

Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:42 am

James :

Having been person A (almost 20 years ago in high school...) - grade 11 & 12 ended up being pretty difficult, since, as it turned out, person A wrote person B a letter confessing everything...person B turned out to be straight, and while A wasn't worried about B telling everyone, everyone found out anyway & it made things a living hell for A. A & B never really spoke much afterwards, unfortunately - no loss of repsect, but it was just REALLY awkward.

Enough of my story - my advice to you (assuming you are A?) Don't pursue it - odds are most likely against what you have visualized actually happening...you'll be out of school soon enough & can explore all the other B's in the world. The downfall isn't work the risk, and soon enough you can move to YVR, YYZ or YUL (the cities, not the airports!) and do your own thang  Big thumbs up

good luck ~

Kevin
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:52 am

By any chance, are you person A?  Big grin

lewis

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:41 am

Not another A vs B thread!!!! Big grin

Anyway, I believe that KLM672's idea sounds good but if I was.... 'Person A' I wouldn't go for it. If something goes wrong, 'Person A' would have to face serious consequences ie being ridiculed etc.

SlamClick

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:51 am

Well, as I hardly ever saw A's or B's in school I'm really not sure what you are talking about. It does sound, though, like Person A needs to go see Jimmy Swaggart as soon as possible!

Being from Canada are you sure it wasn't "person, eh?"

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

goboeing

Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:30 am

Well, as I hardly ever saw A's or B's in school I'm really not sure what you are talking about. It does sound, though, like Person A needs to go see Jimmy Swaggart as soon as possible!

Being from Canada are you sure it wasn't "person, eh?"

Slamclick: I have yet to use this internet slang until now...ROTFLMAO!!!  Nuts

Nick

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:33 am

Lucky727: person A almost did write a letter, but didn't eh. The thought of what could happen to them, which is what happened in yer story, is exactly why. Person A would have fixed their problem way back in the day, but can't seem to find a way to go for it without a good chance of something similar happening to them.

CanadianNorth

AIR757200

Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:13 am

my advice to you (assuming you are A?) Don't pursue it - odds are most likely against what you have visualized actually happening...

I agree!! If "A" and "B" are becoming better friends (via conversation, hanging out, etc.) and "A"/"B" enjoys the other's company- then just leave it at that... Being friends is better than finding out something and it just backfiring on either person. As the friendship expands, "A" (or maybe even "B") can do some observations like whether or not he actively dates (and who he dates), etc.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:59 pm

Ok, thanks for all the replies sofar. Now, apparently person A has considered just forgetting the whole thing and carrying on as if it never happened, but figures it will be on their mind still anyhow, so that idea would probably not work out the best.

Person A has kept it inside for a while with the idea that maybe what the rest of the people don't know wont hurt them. But now person A has decided that it would probably be best to just get on out there and say what needs to be said and call it done so they can go off and really just be themselves before it drives them to do something stupid.

The point of this whole post basically, is how do YOU think person A should go about doing what they feel they need to do without getting their ass kicked doing it.

CanadianNorth

ClassicLover

Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:34 pm

Easy.

Rather than rushing into anything, what person A should be doing is cultivating the friendship of person B. I think you mentioned that they only speak a few times a week at present.

Person A should do all in his/her power to become a closer friend to B. If they truly like person B as a person rather than just as a sexual object, then this shouldn't be difficult at all.

Once person A knows person B a lot better, they will either like them just as much, like them more, or like them a whole lot less.

Either way, I think that person A will be in a much better position to know whether he/she can or should tell person B what they want to tell them.

All advice to suss out whether person B is in fact straight or gay is pretty good... however, some people who like the same sex will answer straight even if they're not. No-one wants their head punched in if they can help it.

I've been through all of this with a person B back in High School, and it's a lot of fun (is he, isn't he, and so on), but person A needs to take care of what he/she does and not do anything rash that could have an effect on how people treat that person in the future.

I have plenty more advice where that came from  Smile

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:39 pm

"No-one wants their head punched in if they can help it."

thats pretty much what has been stopping person A from telling person B.

CanadianNorth

Dash8King

Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:27 am

Don't do it A. Just keep staring in the locker room. Have you tried the opposite sex it could just be a faze(sp?).

ScarletHarlot

Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:48 am

Hey Dash8King, have you tried the same sex? It could just be a phase.
But that was when I ruled the world

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:14 am

For person A I don't think it's just a phase. Person A has been this way for a while apparently, so to me it doesn't seem much like a phase.

CanadianNorth

dan2002

Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:24 am

CanadianNorth, being young, I would say its a phase. To find out if its a phase, find a Girl A and Boy B, bang girl a, then well, you get the idea. If its not a phase, go up to him and when he says something stupid call him a fag and see what he says.

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:39 pm

Person A also figured it was a phase back a few years ago, but apparently it doesn't seem to be one any more. So the phase thing was a good suggestion, but person A has already got past that part. The waiting till person B sais something stupid and calling them a fag might not work... there are some people who would atempt to give the same kind of reaction as a straight person, mainly to avoid getting their head punched in.

Some good ideas sofar, keep them coming please!
CanadianNorth

ClassicLover

Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:05 pm

This seems to be an instance where it might just be best if person A loved from afar and left it at that.

There are times when it's better not to take the risk.

What people need to realise is that they are still young and there will be plenty of people that they like in the future - one doesn't have to have it all right now.

Person A could somehow get person B drunk at some point (if they were close friends, I still think that needs to happen first) and steer the conversation towards the taboo topic of homosexuality and see what the reaction is. It's been done before.  Smile

Trent.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:08 pm

"If its not a phase, go up to him and when he says something stupid call him a fag and see what he says."

Well person A didn't accually do this, but person A was there while a friend did something very similar to it, and person B gave the same kind of reaction as most straight people would eh.

CanadianNorth

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:12 pm

ClassicLover... The more I think about it the more I think the drunk idea might just work for person A eh.  Smile

But then Dash8King might of been right with the "Don't do it A. Just keep staring in the locker room." part of his post.  Sad

CanadianNorth  Confused

BNE

Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:56 pm

I Have A Question For You..., what a lame topic heading, maybe you should have named the thread "What if I were gay" the views would have been double.

Ok, that over with, KLM672 probably had the best idea, but there is no need to rush it, why person A is still young "No-one wants their head punched in if they can help it"

Why fly non stop when you can connect

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:52 am

I was half asleep and ready to go to bed when I came up with the topic heading, So If people think it could be better then I'm open to suggestions...

CanadianNorth

ZKSUJ

Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:59 pm

Person A should become friends with person B until more can be found out. Person B may well be gay as well but if Person A comes on too strong then any chance of even a friend ship with person B will be diminished to a very small chance where akwardness will play a big part.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:34 pm

Ok, Person A has decided that the next time they have a few minutes they are going to go find person B, and just tell them. Nothing much for plans, just walk up and use whatever words come to mind at the time, and hope for the best. If it doesn't work out, well then it doesn't. Atleast person A can say he tried. Does anyone think that this is a bad plan?

CanadianNorth

ClassicLover

Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:24 pm

I think it's a plan.

It's not necessarily bad or good.

As long as all the consequences have been thought through beforehand, then sure, go fo it!

CanadianNorth, just make sure you pass on what happened please, because I'm interested to hear the outcome.

Good luck to person A and person B!

Trent.

Blackhawk144

Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:20 am

CanadianNorth,

I don't mean to offend, but are you person A or B?

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:09 am

I feel stupid now....

Today at lunch I stopped at my locker to put something in and as I was leaving along came person B (his locker is 3 or 4 lockers away from mine). He had a friend with him too eh. I forget most of the details eh, but person B's friend made some comment or something (i wasn't really paying attention) and left. Then person B said to me, "Hey ----- seems pretty gay today eh". I knew right away that he didn't mean that his friend was accually gay, he was just saying that, you know what I mean? But anyhow, the part that I'm mad at myself about is right then while he was on the topic I was going to say something about myself (yes, ok, fine, whatever, I'm person A, if you havn't guessed), but I didn't. I was silent for a few seconds untill he said "alright, well I gotta go see ya". Then right then I wished I had said something, and I didn't. But after that, maybe I should just not say anything?

CanadianNorth

ClassicLover

Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:52 am

Isn't confusion lots of fun? It has to be the most annoying feeling in the world, especially when it relates to other people.

I tell you something I've learned in my 28 years in the world.

You can get opinions from as many people as you like, and everyone will tell you something different. However, the best thing to do is to make your own decision based on what you know and what you think.

None of us know person B, so any advice we give is only based on the fact that you like him and what's in this thread... so it's probably not going to be the best advice ever.

Just keep that in mind  Smile

Of course, if you need advice, I'm certainly here at the other end of the computer in another country to help you out!

I can't tell you if you're doing the right or wrong thing - only you can decide that, mister.

Good luck,

Trent.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:57 am

It is true though, the whole is he isn't he thing would just be no fun if I knew for sure.

I know that chances are none of you know person B, and I'm the only one who can decide what I should do. Just came here looking for a few suggestions, thats all. So feel free to keep them coming, the more ideas the better.

Thanks very much for everyone who answered sofar.
CanadianNorth

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:18 pm

Boys and Girls, Todays lesson is...............................

Notes do NOT work.

CanadianNorth

ClassicLover

Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:40 pm

Oh no!!

What happened?

Trent.

dreamer

Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:57 pm

CanadianNorth,
Please, what happened? Wish I had seen your question earlier as I had a very different approach to it. Still, what ever happened, it was probably right for you to do some thing at this point. You knew you were gay, and could no longer keep it for yourself. At some point in time you would have to come out of the closet? Maybe now is the right time? I bet it would be scary no matter when that happens.
Wish you well
still dreaming after all these years

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:02 pm

Ok. Well first of all fortunatly nothing too bad, but unfortunatly nothing much good either eh.

Today after lunch we had double block of science (after lunchhour we had 1 hour of it, a 10 minute break and another hour of it).

During the first block of science, while I was thinking of ways to stay awake I came up with the idea of writing a note (I almost wish I didn't, but could of been much worse really). So I wrote a quick little note, didn't say a whole lot. Pretty much said I want to tell you something contact me at canadiannorth_737@hotmail.com to find out or some silly thing like that. During the break I purposely happened to pass his desk on the other side of the room, and while I was over there nobody was watching me so I took the folded up note and put it on his desk.

Not too long before the break ended (I just went back to my desk and slept for the rest of the break) he and his friend came in and sat down. I watched as he moved some stuff around on his desk while talking to another friend of his, and therefor did not notice the note as it got pushed to the side of the desk then on to the floor. My first thought was well thats that, but then I thought well maybe he will for some reason look at the floor and see it there.

It sat there unnoticed untill about half way through the class, when our teacher told us to grab a chair and push the desks to the sides and make a circle in the middle while he read us some story which I wasn't paying attention to. but while we was moving the desks around, person B happened to notice the piece of paper on the floor near his desk, so he picked it up, unfolded it and started reading it. I thought oh good maybe this will work. But he just started to read it when the teacher said "what is that?". Person B replied "I donno it was by my desk eh" then the teacher said "well make it go away" so then person B threw it off to the side and joined the circle. The note remained on the floor in the corner the rest of the class, nobody did pick it up after.

Now I'm thinking maybe he will remember what I put on there and try to contact me this weekend, but I think the chances of that are less than good.

Could of been worse I guess
CanadianNorth

EDIT: Dreamer, Even after the note thing, I'm still open to suggestions if you wish to share your idea... thanks eh.

[Edited 2004-10-01 10:05:08]

dreamer

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:26 pm

So, sounds to me you are at square one still, he doesn't know you use canadiannort as you call sign?

If we look at this from a different angle, you need to ask yourself: Is it OK that everybody knows I am gay? If your answer is NO, then do not pursue any more.

If answer is yes, maybe it is time to let people know that first, then once everybody knows it is easier for you to understand other guys feelings. Some will be indifferent, others will shy you and some will get closer to you.

In general if you think about statistics, how big a chance is there that he is also gay? And if he is, how big is the chance that he is attracted to you? So most likely you will not win him. Later (I know it sucks), you will know if someone likes you in return.

OK, I got to say, I am straight, but I have had girlfriends that I have been unsure about our feeling. I think they wanted me, and I think I wanted them in a girl/girl fashion. These things are hard, also for the other person that you like, he might not (who ever he is, maybe not person B, but someone else later) know how he feels either.

Not sure if I confuse you more or not.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:44 pm

He might know that I use "CanadianNorth" for a callsign, but I don't think he does. Even if he did, it would surprise the hell out of me if he ever read this. According to something our english teacher gave us last year, worldwide approximatly 11% of the population is not straight. Basically that rounds off to 1 in 10 people, maybe less for some areas. This area is probably less also. Then add in the chance of him wanting me, the chances are probably rediculusy small. So I realize the chances are less than great, So I've done my homework for once. I don't mind if people know, If I keep it to myself forever then I'm sure gunna get far eh?

I don't like statistics anymore... But that's ok, Lifes about taking chances isn't it?
CanadianNorth

dreamer

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:51 pm

Well, seems like you made up your mind. "Just jump in, the water feels warm".
Good luck!

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:26 am

Ok, not a whole lot has happened but I guess there might be one or two of you wondering if im still alive  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Well what I was going to do was at lunch time yesterday talk to person B but I got too busy running around like a headless chicken with other stuff to do, so it just didn't happen eh, which sucks because for the first time I accually had an idea for what to say.  Pissed

So, plan whatever-letter-I'm-up-to-now time. Today I had science first block, and I was bored again, so I thought about what to say to him, then I thought well maybe I should write it down so if I don't have time to talk to him I can just hand him the piece of folded up paper and tell him when he has a minute to read it eh. So that I did, wrote about a page telling and explaining everything. I set off at lunch to find him, only to get dragged to the first meeting for 9/10 B team volleyball (fuck I don't even know how to play volleyball!!!).

But after school, while waiting for the busses, his bus came and as he started to walk away I waited a few seconds till he was a couple metres away from his/my friends, and handed him the note and said "here, take this but don't read it till you get home ok bye" And he replied "alright, see ya tomorow" as he put it in his pocket and walked off.

So, my parts done, just a matter of lying there all night tonight wondering whats going to happen then getting up in the morning, going off to school and finding out if hes ready to hang me  Sad

Well, I guess you guys would want to hear the rest of the story, so sometime tomorow or the next day I'll come back and tell you how it went.

CanadianNorth

ClassicLover

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:17 pm

You're quite brave I reckon!

Do let us know what is going on, because I'm definitely interested in the outcome.

I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight  Smile

Trent.

FlyboyOz

Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:22 pm

CanadianNorth... Wow...your story is fantastic...I still cannot wait to hear what happen next. I hope Person B will contact to you as soon as possible!!

Good luck mate!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

AzoresLover

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:11 pm

As the last two poster have said...I agree fully.

Whether B ends up being YES or NO, I hope he'll be mature enough to stay friends, and I sincerely hope you aren't subject to harassment of any form because of your brave actions. People are what they are, and whether we as individuals agree or disagree with another person, we should always respect what that person feels/thinks/is.

I'm very interested to hear how things go for you. You understand that things could be difficult for you. I hope you suffer no actions against you for just dealing with the reality of what you are. You have my full support!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

klm672

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:21 pm

Yes, I to am very interested in hearing what happens. This is the first post/story that I am actually following along with.

Andre