QIguy24
Topic Author

Bush In Danger?

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:50 pm

When I read the headlines first I thought it was Randy that was on the run  Laugh out loud

But thank god nothing happened.

Cops Hunt Man Suspected of Threatening President

(New York-WABC, September 20, 2004) — Breaking news concerning President Bush's visit to New York. Eyewitness News is told that there has been a credible threat against the president Monday.

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_092004_wantedbush.html

Falcon84

RE: Bush In Danger?

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:52 pm

Well, obviously, and thankfully, nothing came of it. But I'm sure New York's Finest and the USSC would greatly like to talk to this man.
Work Right, Fly Hard

cfalk

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:57 pm

It would be so funny if they caught Al Gore with a gun and foaming at the mouth.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

jasepl

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:02 pm

Fantasising in the daytime again Charles?  Big grin

Falcon84

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:03 pm

Boy, Cfalk, you're really gone off the deep end, haven't you?
Work Right, Fly Hard

KROC

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:09 pm

Am I the only who who picked up on Cfalk's SARCASM? Lighten up people.

QIguy24
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:10 pm

Nah you weren't. I was about to post almost the same thing afterwards but with Ted Kennedy instead of Big grin

aloges

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:11 pm

If I hear "Bush" one more time I'm gonna run around town with a shrubbery and foaming at the mouth, NI!

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

cfalk

Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:26 pm

- We are the Knights who say... "Bush"

- No! Not the Knights who say "Bush"!

- The same
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

NWA742

Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:40 pm

Boy, Cfalk, you're really gone off the deep end, haven't you?

Seeing that you think Cfalk's comments are serious, I'd say it's you who's gone off the deep end.

But hey, as a person who will vote for Bush, what do I know?

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Mir

Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:09 pm

Simple fact of life is that the President of the United States is always going to be in danger. He doesn't have that huge security detail just for looks. That there was apparently a plot to harm him is attention-catching, but hardly surprising.

The NYPD is some of the best in the world, and they'll do whatever needs to be done to provide adequate protection.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

airplay

Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:53 pm

Simple fact of life is that the President of the United States is always going to be in danger.

This is indicative of his policies. Bush will be in danger for the rest of his life and in my opinion, he has placed all Americans in more danger than before he was "elected".

This doesn't have to be. Canada's Prime Minister doesn't need an enormous security detail. He can be found enjoying a hockey game in regular seats. He can be found strolling the grounds of Parliament, which by the way is completely accessible by the public.

In short, nobody is out to get him it seems except for Bush.

You reap what you sow.....

LHMark

Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:56 pm

This is indicative of his policies. Bush will be in danger for the rest of his life and in my opinion, he has placed all Americans in more danger than before he was "elected".

Not necessarily. President William McKinley was assassinated in Buffalo by a mentally disturbed man. Ronald Reagan was shot so John Hinckley could impress Jodie Foster.

He has a really high-profile job.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

airplay

Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:09 pm

Not necessarily. President William McKinley was assassinated in Buffalo by a mentally disturbed man. Ronald Reagan was shot so John Hinckley could impress Jodie Foster.

You've just demonstrated that the US in general is dangerous. Plenty of private non-presidential citizens are injured or killed in fairly arbitrary circumstances. And of course celebrity makes you somewhat of a target as well. Your observations are noted, but I'm not talking about those issues.

yyz717

Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:29 pm

Canada's Prime Minister doesn't need an enormous security detail. He can be found enjoying a hockey game in regular seats. He can be found strolling the grounds of Parliament, which by the way is completely accessible by the public.

Not true. The Cdn PM's security it very tight. He cannot and does not roam around at will. Parliament is like an armed camp with most of it off-limits. In other words, Canadian political security is similar to the US.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

airplay

Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:52 pm

Parliament is like an armed camp with most of it off-limits. In other words, Canadian political security is similar to the US.

What country do you live in YYZ717? Have you actually been to Parliament Hill in Ottawa? I have visited parliament several times including about a month ago. It has never been an "armed camp". Any visitor is free to roam the grounds freely. You can also enter the buildings but of course access to certain offices and areas are restricted. Much of the buildings are accessible on free guided tours but I wasn't talking about the buildings. I was talking about the grounds.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/visitors/indoor/content-e.htm

Not true. The Cdn PM's security it very tight.

Compared to the average Canadian this may be true. But nowhere near the same concern as the US president.

Your statments are quite misleading.

[Edited 2004-09-23 16:00:30]

yyz717

Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:16 am

What country do you live in YYZ717?

Canada. In one of the 2 "have" provinces that pays MB's bills.

Have you actually been to Parliament Hill in Ottawa?

Yes, last summer.

Much of the buildings are accessible on free guided tours

Only a tiny portion of the bldgs are accessible on guided tours.

Your statments are quite misleading.

Yours are. You are once again trying to paint a picture that things are TOTALLY DIFFERENT up here in Canada to further your agenda of positioning Canada as being completely different from the US in all ways, cultural, political and economic.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

airplay

Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:30 am

Canada. In one of the 2 "have" provinces that pays MB's bills.

Talk about misleading statements....

You constantly post in terms of province against province. You can barely stand to consider we live in the same country. You constantly base your attacks on Manitoba when you want to debate issues with me.

You avoid debating the real issues by diverting attention to where I live instead of what I said.

What exactly do you plan to achieve by all this besides further convincing us that you really don't want to be here in Canada?

YYZ717, try to stick to the topic and avoid attacking people on the basis of where they live within the federation. It makes no sense.

peterpuck

Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:43 am

Manitoba is as much a part of Canada as Ontario Yyz717. That province helps put food on your table.

yyz717

Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:49 am

MB has been a have-not province for over 20 years. It is a fiscal burden on Canada, along with Quebec and Atlantic Canada. ON and AB contribute fiscally to Canada. BC and SK are marginal net recipients of federal aid.

Of course MB is part of Canada but they are not pulling their fiscal weight and are being subsidized by ON and AB. This weakens Canada.

airplay

Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:30 pm

Another example of YYZ717 making noise for the sake of being heard. Why can't you stay on topic? I could sink to your level and start attacking Ontario, but to what end? I have nothing against Ontario or any of the provinces in our great country. Even if it does allows fascists to live there.
Your simplistic view on the economy of this country doesn't seem to support you claim that you are a "Director of Finance".

But I digress to the REAL topic....

Further to comparisons between the protection of leaders, Paul Martin visited Winnipeg yesterday. He walked around with visible albeit minimum security. He made speeches, walked down the street and even walked by protesters without the need for close support from body guards. He shook hands (but I didn't see him kiss any babies) in full view of "God and everyone".

So why the big difference?

mdsh00

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:51 am

So why the big difference?

I don't think any Canadian PM has ever been assasinated. Forgive me if I am wrong.

On the other side, over here...we'll it's been definitely been more than that. After the assasination of Kennedy, presidential security has become very tight. After that day, future presidents never rode in convertibles.

When you are the leader of currently the most powerful nation in the world, there are going to be a lot of people out there who don't like you. Both in and out of the national borders. Therefore the security is necessary and Bush has nothing to do with it.

BTW: Anna Lindh was assasinated by a lunatic. Does that make Sweeden a dangerous country?

[Edited 2004-09-24 18:54:27]
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

airplay

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:03 am

When you are the leader of currently the most powerful nation in the world, there are going to be a lot of people out there who don't like you.

Power makes you unlikable? I would suggest that several leaders of much less powerful nations in the world are in much more danger of being attacked or assasinated than the US president.

As a matter of fact, there are several examples in recent history. So I don't think its "power". I think its "policy".

mdsh00

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:12 am

As a matter of fact, there are several examples in recent history. So I don't think its "power". I think its "policy"

Then what explains the high security around Presidents like Carter or Clinton. Both were well liked around the world, yet they kept up their guard. I'm sure part of the reason are our policies in the past that have made any president hated, whether or not he's president at the time, but that is not the only factor. Yes I do think power makes someone not as liked as someone who is not as powerful.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

JAXpax

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:34 am

Julie finally realized it was no longer the 1970s.......

martinairyyz

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:56 am

If you like killing people for no reason and making the world a chaos-hole, you should expect people to want to kill you and the chop you up and feed you to tigers!!!!

YAY!!!!! Rampage!!!!

Cheers  Big thumbs up
Chelsea Football Club supporter.

ZKSUJ

Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:21 pm

The President of the USA is the most powerful man in the world. So of course he is going to be in danger.
It doesn't matter if it was Bush or someone else, the President of the USA will always have people opposed to him and what he stands for. That is why they have so many bodyguards.

airplay

Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:26 pm

the President of the USA will always have people opposed to him and what he stands for.

That is true of anyone in the world especially heads of state. But what sort of issues would cause someone to want to kill you? I've already stated that many lesser powerful heads of state have been killed or threatened. So where does the "power" factor come in?

If you have the power to piss so many people off, could you not have the power also to act in a manner that wouldn't draw such serious hatred?

the President of the USA will always have people opposed to him and what he stands for

There you go. In one sentence you state the issue is his power. In the next you qualify that with his policy.

L.1011

Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:00 pm

If you like killing people for no reason and making the world a chaos-hole, you should expect people to want to kill you and the chop you up and feed you to tigers!!!!

YAY!!!!! Rampage!!!!

Cheers

You're right, most people hate Islamofascist terrorists.

ZKSUJ

Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:51 pm

Airplay-there are many people in the world who are not the most phsycologically functional. They will do anything to get their way. Some may feel so strongly about something that they feel as if they need to take action.
Just what I think, may not be the real reason.

airplay

Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:53 pm

Airplay-there are many people in the world who are not the most phsycologically functional. They will do anything to get their way. Some may feel so strongly about something that they feel as if they need to take action.

Are you talking about Bush or his enemies?