L410Turbolet
Topic Author

22/09 European Car-free Day!

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:30 am

I just wonder if your hometown took part in this effort and if so how? Did anyone bothered to leave his/her car at home?
I'm glad my hometown participated by closing the inner city center for non-essential traffic, all public transport being free today and the city's transportation authority offered some 1960s and 1970s buses and trolleybuses for nostalgia rides, which was really cool.

Do you think such symbolic things make sense? I personally think they do, however the outcome of such initiative is mixed since so many people are just too lazy and ignorant to even think about getting their fat asses out of their cars.
Before you stone me to death and label me treehugger or whatever, I want to say that I'm great fan of cars and I love driving.
However driving them around the city while having convenient and extensive public transport network available, going from one traffic light to another with endless searches for parking spots is just stupid waste of money for the fuel in my eyes.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040922/323/f342x.html

air2gxs

RE: 22/09 European Car-free Day!

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:38 am

I really don't think this symbolic thing do anything. Every now and then when the gas price spikes here in the US an email starts going around asking to not buy gas on a certain day to show the oil companies we can live without them.

You want to prove something? Go 2 weeks without buying gas or using your car or whatever. Otherwise you're just participating in an empty exercise. The only "day without..." I feel may work is the National Smoke Out, because it shows some people that they can go for a day without a cigarette.

lewis

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:41 am

In Athens the public transport was also free for today. I am not sure if they closed the city for traffic because I live in the subirbs and I used my car today.

aloges

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:45 am

Yesterday was a car-free day? So I joined the effort without even knowing about it!  Laugh out loud
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

MD11Engineer

Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:49 am

I haven´t touched my car today, but the only reason is that I´m off and didn´t have to work yesterady and today (in fact until monday  Smile/happy/getting dizzy)

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

WellHung

Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:56 pm

Good idea. Ditch those bitch wagons and get real automobiles.

ly7e7

Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:30 pm

We are having our car free day this Saturday. Unfortunately it is motivated by religion rather than by a will to breath some clean air. (Yom Kippur)
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

n229nw

Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:34 pm

I think those symbolic days CAN get people to think.

I'm carless and proud! Bikes and public transportation forever!

If everyone did this as much as possible: global warming goes down, obesity goes down, traffic goes down. I realize that some people live in places where they need cars, but many could do without much more easily than they think, or (in this country) CERTAINLY do with smaller cars.

OK OK...If you disagree, I don't want to hear about it. I'm off to hug some trees now  Wink/being sarcastic
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

damirc

Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:58 pm

Yeah. My hometown took part in this stupidity. It was the reason why I left for Ljubljana Tuesday evening around 11pm (2-2.5 hour drive) - the alternative would've been dragging my bags at 6 am on Monday a mile to a parking outside of the town centre (since they closed off the whole town centre from 5 am to 7 pm and I unfortunately live in the said centre).

Ljubljana also took part in this and the result was smog - bad day weatherwise plus severe trafficjams (heard of people needing 90 minutes to get to work where they usually need 30) - which caused more exhaust emissions - yes, but the centre of Ljubljana was perfectly empty. The shops enjoyed their '70% less business today' day too ...

So from my standpoint - total failure.

D.

StarFlyer

Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:25 pm

Car-free day? That would explain how packed the buses and trains were yesterday!
And I joined in "by accident" as well!  Big thumbs up
Anyway, it should have made much more public (though I didnt have much time for a thorough read of the paper lately, so it might just be me...).

[Edited 2004-09-23 10:26:22]
Yours truly - StarFlyer

JGPH1A

Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:31 pm

We had an email about it yesterday, which I completely ignored. As soon as the build a light rail between Antibes and Sophia-Antipolis, I'll use public transport to get to work, but no way in hell before ! A single hourly bus ? They can bite me.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers