mdsh00

Your Favorite Mainstream And Microbrew Beer.

Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:17 pm

Hey everyone,

My roommate and I were trying a new brand of South American beer. I already forgot what it was called, except it had a turtle on it. Anyway, I wanted to know what all of your favorite beers are. One foreign beer, another domestic beer, and one microbrew. I'll start first.

Foreign Beer:
Kingfisher (India): Strong and Sharp but not too bitter  Big thumbs up. 10x Better than Haywards 5000.

Domestic Beer:
I'll go with Miller Genuine Draft.

Microbreweries:
Any brews by Full Sail Brewing Co. in Hood River, OR. I have yet to try "Rip Curl"
http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

jasepl

RE: Your Favorite Mainstream And Microbrew Beer.

Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:45 pm

The world's best beers:

Carlsberg
London Pilsner

LHMark

Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:04 pm

Mainstream European: Hofbrau Lager, Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, and Warsteiner Dunkel are all favorites of mine

Regional/national North American: Saranac Pale Ale and Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Microbrew: Flying Bison Oktoberfest, Buffalo, NY
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

NKP S2

Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:08 pm

Mainstream:

--Yuengling Lager ( Warm weather )

--Samuel Adams Boston Lager ( cooler weather )

Micro:

-- Rogue brewery's beers, especially the porters.

--Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale when available.

aa61hvy

Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:39 pm

Man I had some King Fisher the other week, that stuff is no joke. I hadn't had it in a few years. I thought it was quite bitter, though it wasn't terribly fresh.

Favorite beer: Blue Moon Ale
Favorite water beer: Miller Light
Go big or go home

desertjets

Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:19 pm

My favorite new beer is Saranac's Black Forest Beer. Very smooth and has a medium-heavy body.

Other regular buys for me are Labatt's Blue, Tecate, Dos Quis Lager, Rolling Rock...
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

CactusA319

Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:50 am

Fave mainstream import: Heineken

Fave mainstream domestic: Samuel Adams, Miller Genuine Draft, Icehouse

Fave microbrew: Sierra Nevada

FJWH

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:04 am

Domestic: Amstel

Foreign: '33 export (French)

Tjap
FlightS in the next 3 months: MSP, PHX, MEM, NCE, TFS, BCN. All round trips from AMS

dmeeky243

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:10 am

My favorite Euro beer is Hosgarden. I believe its the original Belgian ale. Absolutely fantastic. Plus the name is fun to order. You can usually find it on tap and some good places, ask for it.

Northwest Micros, I like everything Pike Brewing makes, especially the Kilt Lifter Ale.

I'm a fan as well of the Rogue brews, the porters are great. I was at Seattle's Grillfest next to the Rogue guys, and they hooked me up. Really great people! Food for beer & pint glasses is an even trade if you ask me.

As far as mainstream, I always have some Heineken and Pacifico on hand. I found a load of Bud Dry down in New Mexico, haven't seen that for years. If I'm back in my hometown with all my friends, its usually a fridge full of Rainier, the beer from here (at least it used to be)!

During the winter I usually just drink Molson, must be from all the hockey I watch.

[Edited 2004-09-24 18:14:51]
"I have a favorite dish, which tends to change daily depending on my mood, or whether I have a hangover, or whether it's

rapo

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:12 am

Fave mainstream import: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Fave mainstream domestic: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Fave microbrew: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Fave bottled water: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Fave OJ: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

I'll stop here................
rapo

Logan22L

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:25 am

Import: I have to break the rules, I've got two. For general purpose, Bass is the absolute best. Also, I have to give a nod to Bishop's Finger, which I have only found rarely in the States. Known affectionately in the UK as "Nun's Delight". How can you not love that. I also had a dachshund for 11 years named Watney, after bleedin' Watney's Red Barrel. He was indeed a red barrel.

Domestic: Sam Adams Boston Lager

Micro: Ipswich Ale.

Mmmmmm...beer

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Eastern L1011

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:27 am

Dmeeky,
I have also had Hoegarden, and it is probably one of the best beers I am ever had. Lucky for me there is a place within walking distance that has it on tap.

Eastern L1011

dmeeky243

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:32 am

That's right, I was blown away a few years ago when I had it. There's a place nearby me with it on tap too thankfully, I believe it was founded in what? 14-something? Pretty old, but really really good.
"I have a favorite dish, which tends to change daily depending on my mood, or whether I have a hangover, or whether it's

Logan22L

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:56 am

How come no one from the UK has weighed in on this? They must all be down the pub. I seem to remember that when I went there in 1993, lots of people were drinking Budweiser. Ughhhh.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

srbmod

Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:16 am

Favorite European Beer: I really don't have a singular favorite, as I enjoy a number of them, particularly several UK & Irish brews. Bass, Newcastle, Tetley's English Ale,Whitbread (Shockingly now being brewed for the US market up in Cincinnati, along with Mackeson's Triple Stout), Boddington's, Guinness, Beamish, Harp and Murphy's (Stout and Amber). I'm beginning to get into some of the high gravity brews from Europe and really like some of the offerings from Belgium.

Mainstream US beer: Samuel Adams Boston Lager and Boston Ale are my favorites, but some of their other offerings are pretty good as well.

US Microbrew: Sweetwater 420. I got to support the local brewery (Especially since we're down to two with Dogwood Brewing closing up shop), and this is my favorite offering from them.

US Microbrew (Not available in my area yet): New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale. I tried this beer back in April when I was in Vegas (The Westward Ho had these for $1.99 a bottle), and this beer is SMOOTH. It's so smooth I didn't realize I had drank an entire bottle in less than 10 minutes.

dmeeky243

Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:03 am

I completely forgot about Fat Tire. I guess I must take it for granted since its everywhere here! They're quite a progressive thinking brewery as well. Over 90% of their brewery is supplied by natural light. If you work for them for one year, they give you a fat tire bicycle as a gift, and if you work for them for 5 years you're rewarded with a trip to Belgium. Now that's taking care of your employees! My friend is from Colorado, nearby that brewery, so he's usually got a fridge full of it, unless its economy time and then its pissy Coors Light.

peterpuck

Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:31 am

Newcastle Brown Ale...England

Twoheys Old...Australia

Upper Canada Maple Brown...Canada

clrd2go

Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:38 pm

Harpoon Octoberfest
Harpoon IPA

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

yokohama1970

Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:48 pm

Domestic (North America):

Molson Canadian or Molson Ice
Labatt Blue

Import:

Mackeson XXX Stout (UK)
Newcastle Nut Brown Ale

Micro-Brew:

New Belgian Brewing Company

http://www.newbelgium.com/frames.html

Tom
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

LHMark

Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:17 pm

Another micro I really like is Hit the Trail Ale from vermont's Long Trail Brewing Company. In a market filled with Taste-alike hoppy ales, this one is head and shoulders above most in terms of flavor and fidelity to style.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

b741

Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:23 pm

Foreign:Duvel

Domestic:Maudite

Micro:Dead Guy Ale
Being Bilingual, I Speak English And Aviation

srbmod

Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:07 am

Mackeson XXX Stout (UK)
Newcastle Nut Brown Ale

Mackeson Triple Stout is a UK brew in name only in the US, they brew it up in Ohio (along with Whitbred) for the US market. There is no such beer as Newcastle Nut Brown Ale, there is a Newcastle Brown Ale.

[Edited 2004-09-28 23:08:33]

ybacpa

Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:12 am

Import: Guiness, easily my favorite generally available beer
Domestic: Rolling Rock (yeah, I know, water in a green bottle)
Micro: Um... probably Saranac, I'm really not a microbrew guy though.

I wish I could find either Carlton or Twohey's here... fond memories from Aussie.
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

yokohama1970

Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:53 pm

Srbmod

I guess I had a few too many Newcastle Brown Ales! Perhaps Mackeson XXX may be "brewed under supervision." But, this Whitbread/Mackeson Triple XXX Stout was English in origin. Please see, links. It was a Father's Day gift, we all enjoyed a bottle. It was extremely expensive for a 6-pack!

http://www.beerlabels.com/labels/beers.pl/524/whitbread.html

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/rate_results/9/19/

Tom
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

StevenUhl777

Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:31 pm

US Domestic:
- Sam Adams
- Rolling Rock

Mexican:
- Sol
- Pacifico
- Dos Equis

German:
- Franziskaner (Am Besten!!!) Weiss bier (from Bavaria)
- Schneiderweisse (Munchen)
- Paulaner
- Warsteiner
- Neuschwansteiner

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!