KAUST
Topic Author

Nasa Chaplains Or "On Base"

Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:14 am

Greetings!
I have a question, mainly for the clergy members of A-net: is it possible to be a civillian on-base chaplain for NASA or other closely related organizations? Or is it all military?

Had been thinking of going into the ministry but would rather be a chaplain somewhere than an 'in-church' pastor.

Thanks!
Cheers -
KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

Boeing7E7

RE: Nasa Chaplains Or "On Base"

Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:23 pm

The NASA facilities are usually supported by multiple Chaplains from all branches of the military.

ctbarnes

Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:34 am

As far as I know NASA's chaplaincy is pretty much all military. If this is something that interests you, one possibility is to to become a military chaplain. There are all kinds of possibllities that do not necessarily tie you to a parish, but the parish experience is probably a good one for you to have as you start out your ministerial career. Once you start to branch out there are numerous opportunities such as teaching, relief work, seafarer's minstry (called Apostleship of the Sea), airport ministry and so forth.

By all means keep looking at the possibilites, but also don't necessarily restrict yourself by not going into a parish, at least at first. I also share your desire not necessarily to be a parish priest, but also there are other possibilities that must be discerned. Above all, it is about what God wants for you, but your desires and God's do not have to be mutually exclusive.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

MD11Engineer

Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:55 am

KAUS,

Ok, I might not be the best person to advise you (being an atheist, coming out of a Lutheran background), but I´d suggest that you also learn a practical trade, esp. if you might consider into going like something like relief work or development aid.
For myself I have a high respect of Jesuits (even though I don´t agree with all of their politics in the past), because many of them are also respected scientists and teachers OUTSIDE church.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi