Noooo, I do believe it is more than an urban myth...
Anyway, here are some more fun spider facts:
* A jumping-spider (Or whatever it is called in English) can jump 25 times it's own bodylength.
* The nursery rhyme "Little miss muffet" is actually based on the daughter of a doctor who thought it was healthy to eat spiders.
* The combined weight of all insects eaten by spiders around the world every year is bigger than the weight of all humans on earth combined(!)
* A Spider has 48 "knees": Eight legs, with six hinges each.
* Compared to it's weight, spiders web is twice as strong as steel. The fact that it is elastic makes it the strongest and most solid material in the world. It is said that spiders web as thick as a pencil will hold a 747 in the air.
* The poison of a black widow spider is 15 times stronger than poison from a rattle snake.
* Spiders don't eat, they drink. They insert a certain type of fluid into the "victim" using their teeth, which turns the inside into liquid. (Yummy)
* Tarantulas are large spiders (Duh), normally 12cm including the legs. But the largest species can get as large as 26 cm. Large enough to cover a standard dinnerplate.
Source: Terry Nordal.
Thought I'd finish up with a few words by Vincent Price/Alice Cooper from "The Black Widow":
"You know what I think I love the most about her is her inborn need to dominate, posses.
In fact, immediately after the consummation of her marriage to the smaller and weaker male of the species she kills and eats him...
Oh, she is delicious... And I hope he was!"
Sweet dreams. Muahahaha!!
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"