Banco
Topic Author

Blair Has Heart Operation

Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:58 pm

And also announces the latest point at which he'll retire:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3705684.stm

Realistically, he would be expected to go around 2007. Any later than that and it would be impossible for any new Prime Minister to come in before the following election.

He has been looking increasingly unwell and drawn over the last year or two. This might be a minor procedure, but he simply doesn't look well.

[Edited 2004-10-01 11:02:00]
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ZKSUJ

RE: Blair Has Heart Operation

Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:50 pm

He also said that this is a routine surgery and that he will be back in the office on MOnday.
One more term as PM, I don't know if he will make it. He has been looking worse each time I see him
Best of luck to MR. Blair However with this operation.

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:27 pm

Is this an operation to see if he has one ? Good luck with that !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:42 pm

Now, now, don't be nasty! Big grin

Actually, I don't think "heartless" is a criticism that could be laid at his door.

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:47 pm

Hehe true. Perhaps while there in there, they should look for a 'clue' as well. Make no mistake, I was jolly glad in 97 when TB won, it was necessary and desirable. But right now, I'm less impressed. Until he gets out from under the tenacious grip of "business-friendly" politics and addresses fundamental short comings in UK infrastructure (ie nationalises the railways properly and takes back the Tube) and basic services (de-marketising the NHS for instance), I won't vote Labour.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:59 pm

Here's the transcript of his interview:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3706630.stm

silverfox

Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:23 pm

Banco,

The sooner that idiot goes the better.
Smarmy bastard he is

Still if you want to stand up for New LIEBOUR

run a A BLIAR then fine, trouble is i am running out of decent countries to escape to if that fat git Prescott et al get in again

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:30 pm

You confuse adherence with reasonableness.

I am no standard bearer for Tony Blair or the Labour Party. However, neither am I a rabid opponent with a virulent hatred of either him or the party.

Saying that Blair is far from heartless is not an endorsement of him, merely a recognition that cartoon-style denunciation is unhelpful at best, and childish at worst.

Both Blair and the government can be criticised over numerous things, the Iraq war just being one. However, I do not subscribe to the view that Blair (or any other Prime Minister of whatever political view) deliberately and mendaciously plotted to take us into a war regardless of circumstance or evidence, purposely deceiving the entire country. He just wouldn't do it - nor would Brown, Howard, Kennedy, Thatcher or any of the previous incumbents. Attack him for being wrong, not with simplistic insults.

Scotty

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:08 pm

Its just been announced that surgeons have opened him up and found a brick.

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:11 pm

Does it have the word "Baghdad" engraved on it ?

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:14 pm

Tut-tut, JGPH1A. You know that British forces are grouped around Basra.  Big grin

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:19 pm

Actually, I bet it has "First President of the European Union" engraved on it.

Banco
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:24 pm

Actually, I bet it has "First President of the European Union" engraved on it.

You know, I've always thought that would have a certain delicious irony to it. I mean, the rest of Europe were delighted that they got the most pro-EU PM in years coming to power in 1997. Imagine their reaction if as a result they then had to deal with him actually running the thing.  Big grin

JGPH1A

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:28 pm

I for one would glad to have such a reasonably anti-Federalist EU President. The EU could do LOTS worse.

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:59 pm

Hope he get's well.

What i find strange is that the fact that Blair has just bought a 3.5 million quid house in the middle of central London. You would have thought he'd buy somewhere peaceful and quiet in the countryside to get away from it all when he calls it a day.
In Arsene we trust!!

Banco
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:03 am

Don't forget he has a house in his constituency of Sedgefield, Arsenal. I would suspect that is fairly quiet and secluded.

Ironically enough, the house in London will be bought with his wife's money. She earns a damn sight more than he does.

Scotty

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:53 am

BBC reporting Brown as saying that the op "went well". I wonder what that means from Brown's perspective. Maybe Blair's kicked it???

JGPH1A

Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:00 am

That probably means "The resign-o-matic implant was a success"

Banco
Topic Author

Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:01 am

"This implant will self-destruct in two years" Big grin

Bizjetlove

Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:36 am

Well, I don't like him a lot for his decisions, but for a person, I still hope he'll be fine!

Bizjetlove

VSlover

Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:48 am

hmm, who did ms cherie consult to determine which date would be best for mr. blairs surgery??

GDB

Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:03 am

It says a lot about the utter decline of the once powerful Tory Party that Blair can make such a statement about his career plans, they managed to come 4th in a by-election, that the main opposition party should have won, or at least come a decent 2nd, at this stage in the Parliament.

If the goverent is so unpopular (clearly the Daily Mail and those who swallow their shit are in a different country to the rest of us, is Blair and goverment liked? No, are they hated, no).

Klaus

Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:23 pm

I hope he´ll recover fully. Good luck.

That said, I´m reasonably sure that he didn´t push his country into the war (and by appearing as the indispensable token ally enabled the war) just for the heck of it.

I think it´s actually worse than that.

He set priorities which then prompted him to push his country into the war. We´ll probably have to wait for the last of the inevitable tell-all books to know for sure, but it appears that cuddling up (to not use the adjacent more unappetizing word) to the US administration was one of his primary objectives which made proper scrutiny of the evidence dispensable in his eyes.

Not evil; Just using exceedingly poor judgment.

Scotty

Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:56 pm

No Klaus. He made the biggest gaffe a PM can ever make. And in my judgement deliberately. He got the House of Commons to approve a war by getting them to vote on a motion which was backed up by lies.

Thats why nobody trusts him anymore.

777236ER

Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:42 pm

I think it´s actually worse than that.

He set priorities which then prompted him to push his country into the war. We´ll probably have to wait for the last of the inevitable tell-all books to know for sure, but it appears that cuddling up (to not use the adjacent more unappetizing word) to the US administration was one of his primary objectives which made proper scrutiny of the evidence dispensable in his eyes.

Nonsense, nothing at all says that Tony Blair went along with George W. Bush merely so Bush would 'still be his friend'. Indeed, if Blair hadn't was pro-war, the war would have likely not happened at all - at least with UK support the US isn't going it completely alone.

I think Blair went to war because he genuinely believed Iraq was a threat. The problem was the things became political, with those in Blair's cabinet having to deal with (as they perceived it) an anti-war media, a huge anti-Bush voice all while trying to ensure that the country was safe. If things were done in an underhand manner (the dodgy dossier...) I believe they were done by others in the government - not Tony Blair.

The problem is that the UK went to war on the premise that Saddam had WMD - that's what Parliament voted on. For that reason, and only that reason, Blair needs to explain himself and the intelligence services.
Your bone's got a little machine

Scotty

Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:44 am

Yes spot on and he needs to stop coming out with stuff like "but Iraq is better off without Saddam". Maybe so, but thats NOT what the Commons voted on.

Right up until Powell blew the cover on WMD Blair was adamant that Iraq had WMD and thats what the intelligence had said