Tom in NO
Topic Author

MLB Western Division Titles Up For Grabs

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:21 am

The pennant races in the Western Divisions of both leagues are coming down to the final weekend.

In the National League, my hometown Dodgers lead SF by 3. If the Dodgers win one game this weekend at Chavez Ravine, the West is theirs.

The Dodgers are guaranteed at least an NL Wild Card berth if the Rockies beat the Astros in one game this weekend in their series at Minute Maid Park. The Dodgers are far enough ahead of both the Cubs and the Padres to where niether of them would get the Wild Card ahead of the Dodgers (both could still get in ahead of either the Giants or Astros).

In the AL, whoever wins 2 of 3 between the Angels and Athletics at Oakland this weekend wins the AL West.

Makes for one of the better final weekends in baseball in quite some time.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

tbar220

RE: MLB Western Division Titles Up For Grabs

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:34 am

This is going to be a very exciting final weekend of baseball. Go figure that all five California teams are still in playoff contention. I ultimately want to see the Dodgers and Angels in the playoffs (hometown teams) as I really despise the Giants (rivalry).
NO URLS in signature

monorail

Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:53 am

I was stunned that ESPN did not pick up the Angels/A's game tonight, at least for the national audience. Only three games left, with this series deciding the division, and it's Colon vs. Mulder. They've been picking up other games these past few weeks, so why not this one?
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

Falcon84

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:28 pm

Talk about chicken-shit baseball and managing: Giants are up, 1 out in the 6th, and the Dodgers give an intenitonal pass to Bonds.

I can't stand when baseball is played that way.
Work Right, Fly Hard

deltairlines

Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:41 pm

They picked up LA-San Francisco...I'm guessing it's because of the rivalry these two teams have (and thus, the potential for higher ratings). But, therein lies the beauty of MLB TV...I have LA-San Fran on ESPN, and ANA-OAK on my computer.

All I know is I'm quite happy Minnesota came back in the 8th tonight...

Jeff

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:44 am

And the Dodgers ripped the hearts right out of the Giants, leaving SF to hope beyond hope that the Rockies can beat the Astros, and that they beat LA on Sunday, in order to force a playoff with the Astros on Monday for the wild card.

Eric Gagne was right, the Giants watched the Dodgers clinch the West right under their noses. No lead against the Dodgers is ever safe.

Props to the Dodgers, the postseason will be epic!

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

aerobalance

Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:53 am

Vladimir Guerrero MVP !!!!!!!!

Bring on those WEAK East Coast teams!!
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

dontlikeairbus

Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:41 pm

What a special day
I was three years old last time the Angels won the division

What a great ending to a great regular season
the hell with those attention hogging boring AL East Teams
or in the case of the Red Sox, just plain pathetic

monorail

Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:43 pm

What a great way to clinch a division, with a come from behind victory capped by a walk off grand slam.
And Vlad better win MVP he means so much more to the Angels' success than Sheffield does to the Yankees
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!