zak

Inspectors Conclude No WMD In Iraq

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:23 pm

i am already looking forward to the torrent of excuses and flip flopping from the right wing (you know those guys that say kerry is unfit for command because of just that)

Inspectors conclude no WMD in Iraq
The Iraq Survey Group will report that Saddam Hussein had no banned weapons before the US-led invasion.
link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3718150.stm

[Edited 2004-10-06 16:23:58]
10=2

Schoenorama

RE: Inspectors Conclude No WMD In Iraq

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:50 pm

Zak!

How dare you say such stupidities! Everyone knows thousands of shells with Sarin have been found by 'our' good friends the Poles! And everyone also knows there's still tonns of WMD's burried in the Iraqi desert.

And how dare you include a link to an article which actually backs-up your statement. That is simply Not Done! You know very well that discussions on this board are limitted to the O'Reilly Factor Spin Free standards?

/sarcasm
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:18 am

You know that if the Virgin Mary herself came down and told Republicans that there were no WMDs, they'd a. insist that she was on Dan Rather's pay roll; or b. What WMDs? We didnt go to war for WMDs.

And Karl Rove would start a new group called "Real Virgins for truth against the Virgin Mary."
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Scotty

Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:23 am

What a surprise. So will Tony Blair now resign??

FDXmech

Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:46 am

>>>And Karl Rove would start a new group called "Real Virgins for truth against the Virgin Mary."<<<

Would Kerry vote, Yes, to that as well?

"I voted yes before I actually checked the hyman".
You're only as good as your last departure.

zak

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:08 am

@Schoenorama

i must have been intoxicated or something, i can not explain how such a mishap could have happened! i guess i will go watch the NO SPIN ZONE now to learn from the bold journalists at foxnews!
10=2

Boeing7E7

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:30 am

US government officials told the New York Times the report would include new evidence that Saddam Hussein had plans to break UN-imposed sanctions and renew the production of banned weapons.

'nuff said.

NWA742

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:33 am

I won't believe it.......but no, it's not because I'm a Republican/conservative, it's because it doesn't make sense:

How can they "conclude" that there's no WMD in Iraq? Have they searched every square inch, underground as well? No. Not good enough to conclude anything, but just to assume.

I believe it could take several more years for something to turn up, I mean, they could have lots of shit buried out in the desert for all we know.

I have my doubts about WMD in Iraq, but I won't be so ignorant to "conclude" that there are no WMDs, just because they haven't turned up yet.

I'm willing to let the search continue for many many more years, before I draw any conclusions.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:35 am

"US government officials told the New York Times the report would include new evidence that Saddam Hussein had plans to break UN-imposed sanctions and renew the production of banned weapons."

Aaah, yes.
Those "US Government officials" whose doodie we have come to know and trust over the past 4 years.

Boeing7E7

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:37 am

Aaah, yes.
Those "US Government officials" whose doodie we have come to know and trust over the past 4 years.

Ah yes... The same Officials releasing the report which says no WMDs.

flyyul

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:40 am

NWA742,

I suggest you go to Iraq, and conclude for yourself. Perhaps you can search through every inch of the country to find WMD.

Of course you wont, your just in denial, like 99.9% of other conservatives on this planet, who will defend their leaders at every cost.

Boeing7E7

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:42 am

YUL... While you're gleefully glossing over the headline, you fail to read the rest of the information which is in the report.

FDXmech

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:42 am

>>>Of course you wont, your just in denial,<<<

FLYYUL, denial flows thru Egypt.
You're only as good as your last departure.

Schoenorama

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:53 am

"Report: Saddam Not in Pursuit of Weapons

(AP) - Undercutting the Bush's administration's rationale for invading Iraq, the final report of the chief U.S. arms inspector concludes that Saddam Husseindid not vigorously pursue a program to develop weapons of mass destruction when international inspectors left Baghdad in 1998, an administration official said Wednesday. In drafts, weapons hunter Charles Duelfer concluded that Saddam's Iraq had no stockpiles of the banned weapons but said he found signs of idle programs that Saddam could have revived once international attention waned."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/20041006/ap_on_re_mi_ea/us_iraq_13

Not only didn't Saddam have any WMD's as this Administration claimed, another Neocon claim about Saddam pursuing WMD's has also been debunked.
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:56 am

"Ah yes... The same Officials releasing the report which says no WMDs."

Aaah.

The boy needs glasses.

The ISG has NOT reported that Saddam Hussein planned new WMDs. Its those mysterious "US officials" (quote, unquote "The officials, speaking anonymously") and their English lap dog, Jack Straw are baying that it would.

Don't misquote the article. You wouldn't if you had read it properly.

Boeing7E7

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:11 am

Read:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6190720/

The whole article.

commander_rabb

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:18 am

OK. No WMD? So kill us Americans for being wrong. That would make people happy no less. It seems that would placate many of you.

Saving grace is, that Saddam who had them before, will never have them again. Thank you very much.

Do we at least get any "points" for that? Oh yeah, "we all agree that Saddam should be gone...yada yada yada..."

Sheesh.

Signed,

17 U.N. Resolutions

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:22 am

From the linked article above:

President Bush’s election rival, Democrat John Kerry, pounced on Bremer’s statements that the United States “paid a big price” for having insufficient troop levels. On weapons, however, the Massachusetts senator has said he still would have voted to authorize the invasion even if he had known none would be found.

Wait, I thought Senator Kerry (and Senator Edwards last night) have repeatedly said that Saddam didn't attack us, though - implying there was no reason to invade?

So they want it both ways, then?  Nuts
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

flyyul

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:22 am

Ok.

So lets go, round up the troops and the deficits, and invade north korea and Iran will ya.... theyve got more deadly nukes and damage potential than Iraq, but I dont see anything about these guys.

O-I-L -> huile -> Oilio

commander_rabb

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:27 am

So lets go, round up the troops and the deficits, and invade north korea and Iran will ya

Actually France, Germany, Canada, and a few other E.U. puppets will do that.

Must the U.S. do everything?  Big thumbs up

GDB

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:33 am

What? Invade someone who could put up a fight? Heaven forbid.

DPRK would lose, but take a lot of US troops and others besides, with them.

Be a crap war for TV too, those 'embedded' FOX 'reporters' would stay firmly in the US for a start.
Plus Kim didn't try to 'kill ma Daddy' but the've long term terrorist links and a potential supplier of WMD materials to people who should not have access to such things.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:35 am

There's a big difference in how you deal with someone who is WORKING on nuclear weapons vs. someone who HAS them.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:44 am

Why Thank you, 7E7.

Isn't this the same mysterious US official Charles Duelfer who proclaimed back in 2001 that a. Saddam had WMDs; and b. that he was developing his WMDs pro-actively.

Were Mr. Duelfer not such a partisan hack appointed by the Bush admin. and if he weren't desperately trying to protect his own back-up arguments, he would have some more credibility. His report is full of references to factories producing phenol and chlorine and other chemicals. One example: An agricultural center developing pesticides. However, there is no evidence that the factory produced anything other than pesticides.

This is just more political spin. Duerfer has been saying "INTENT" desperately for the past year to protect his own foolish proclamations about confirmed WMDs back in 2001.

commander_rabb

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:48 am

There's a big difference in how you deal with someone who is WORKING on nuclear weapons vs. someone who HAS them.

That is a very intelligent statement. One of the best I have heard on this forum. I am sure it might be hard for armchair world leaders sitting at home enjoying a coke to understand that. But give it a try.  Smile

Udo

Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:05 am

Commander_Rabb wrote:

"Actually France, Germany, Canada, and a few other E.U. puppets will do that."

Uh, damn! Thanks for the info, I didn't know Canada has joined the EU! Thank god we have the Commander here...  Laugh out loud

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:06 am

"There's a big difference in how you deal with someone who is WORKING on nuclear weapons vs. someone who HAS them."

But the confused Darfeur report, the various Blix reports, the UN reports, the XYZ and the ABC reports and the you&Me reports all said that Iraq had abandoned its nuclear weapons research and development, and had no capability left to produce them. So whats your point?

Saddam Hussein wanted a lot of things, including a harem of super models and a nucooolar bomb.

But WANTING is different from WORKING and HAVING.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:13 am

"There's a big difference in how you deal with someone who is WORKING on nuclear weapons vs. someone who HAS them."

But the confused Darfeur report, the various Blix reports, the UN reports, the XYZ and the ABC reports and the you&Me reports all said that Iraq had abandoned its nuclear weapons research and development, and had no capability left to produce them. So whats your point?

The point is that prior to the invasion that ultimately enabled this report to be compiled and completed, no one knew that Saddam Hussein had abandoned its nuclear weapons R&D - in fact, the intelligence suggested just the opposite.

So again, that is why Iraq was and has been handled far differently than North Korea.

jasepl

Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:17 am

EA CO AS, come on. Even George Bush knows the answer to that! It's called oil.

L-188

Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:19 am

Doesn't matter.

The UN never would have been able to conclude that without the invasion.

Saddam never allowed the access, which was in violation of the UN resolutions that the US had to go in and defend through the invasion.

To cast it any other way is leftist spin.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

JeffM

Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:25 am

Wow, I guess John Kerry is wrong again. He did say Iraq had WMDs like everyone else, before he said they didn't.  Big grin

Hmmmmmmmm....... and so does his ambulance chaser friend....I've heard him say it as well.

I'm sure they have covered the entire country as well. You know how good those guys are....

Udo

Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:26 am

UN resolutions as an excuse...how hypocritical. What about all the ignored UN resolutions by USA's best buddy, Israel?
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

commander_rabb

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:05 am

UN resolutions as an excuse...how hypocritical. What about all the ignored UN resolutions by USA's best buddy, Israel?

Israel and their "Ignored" resolutions never really posed a threat to Europe or the U.S. and their well being now did they?

Your point was moot. And again we hear, "we all agree that Saddam should be gone...yada yada yada..."

"The end result is fine but how it occurs is difficult for you no?" As the prissoner said the camp comandant!

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:07 am

EA CO AS, come on. Even George Bush knows the answer to that! It's called oil.

You mean that oil that we're now seeing at $51.00/bbl on the open market?

Seems to me that prices go DOWN when supplies go up......  Insane

Even Alpha 1 - who is as big of a Bush opponent as they come - has said the war wasn't to grab Iraqi oil.

Sorry, but your comment's completely false.

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:08 am

"Doesn't matter.
The UN never would have been able to conclude that without the invasion."

LOL.
But it did.
In 700 inspections across Iraq, beginning in November 2002, Blix's U.N. experts turned up nothing.

I love it. Even as the pack of cards that held up the ever-changing rationales for this war collapse, spin-meisters now proclaim that the war was waged to enable the UN to conclude that Iraq had no WMDs.

Will this endless parade of lies never stop?

Oh, and btw, Excuse # 45 (or was it 37) that Cheney and his buddies trotted out not so long ago - the Zarqawi-Saddam - connection has been debunked by a CIA report.

Is that so? Well, Iran continued to pursue its REAL nuclear ambitions. Did we invade the wrong I-country? Or did we just invade the easy one with all the OIL?

JeffM

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:18 am

"..did we just invade the easy one with all the OIL?

where IS all that oil then "Mr. Brainsurgeon" ? Not here.

"..In 700 inspections across Iraq, .."

You mean the ones Saddam said..."Here, you can look here..!"

commander_rabb

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:19 am

So Jay, are you ready to trot off to war with Iran? You seem so by your statements.

Or shall we wait for clearance from the U.N. and other similar like minds.

You would look funny waving a white flag on Kharg Island. (Jay scrambles for a geography book.)

[Edited 2004-10-06 21:20:39]

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:22 am

Did we invade the wrong I-country? Or did we just invade the easy one with all the OIL?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Iran sit on huge petroleum reserves as well?

Also, Iran hasn't:

- repeatedly violated terms of a cease-fire agreement with it
- fired on U.S. warplanes patrolling its airspace in accordance with said agreement
- attempted the assassination of a former U.S. president

Need I go on, or are you still unclear about the huge differences between Iran and Iraq and why they're handled differently?

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:50 am

"Need I go on, or are you still unclear about the huge differences between Iran and Iraq and why they're handled differently?"

Because Iran wasn't a paper tiger that whose nuclear ambitions had been decimated by 10 years of sanctions and a perfectly valid war in 1991. Because it would have been impossible to invade Iran. Because its easier to pretend to be tough when your work has been done for you by 10 years of UN-enforced sanctions. So, spare us all your garbage.

As far as this crap goes:

"Also, Iran hasn't:
- fired on U.S. warplanes patrolling its airspace in accordance with said agreement
- attempted the assassination of a former U.S. president"

... your contention is laugheable. What you are now stating is that we invaded Iraq because it violated a cease-fire agreement and because it attempted the assasination of GHWB. Damn. Why didnt GWB just say that back in 2003? Or is this YOUR new argument? Hurry up and contact GWB. He will need a new argument for the war in a few days when the one from yesterday or the day before are flushed down the toilet.

"where IS all that oil then "Mr. Brainsurgeon" ? Not here."

Duh. Iraq has the second highest reserves of oil in the WORLD. And natural gas. You try and drill for that oil with equipment thats been bombed to smithereens.

"So Jay, are you ready to trot off to war with Iran? You seem so by your statements."

Gosh, regular Einstein, aren't you?
The Iran comparison merely debunks the rotten argument that nuclear weapon goals of a nation hostile to the US was the reason to go to war.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:54 am

"Also, Iran hasn't:
- attempted the assassination of a former U.S. president"

... your contention is laugheable.

Laughable? So you mean these things didn't take place?

Or are you suggesting that they are not worth acting on since they don't fit your agenda of criticizing the President in hopes of removing him from office?

jasepl

Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:00 am

You mean that oil that we're now seeing at $51.00/bbl on the open market?
Seems to me that prices go DOWN when supplies go up......
Even Alpha 1 - who is as big of a Bush opponent as they come - has said the war wasn't to grab Iraqi oil.
Sorry, but your comment's completely false.

Okay then. Let's say for a moment that my comment's absolutely false. What do you think then? Why was Iraq invaded? What is it that sets Iraq apart from several other countries that warranted so much special attention?

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:01 am

"Or are you suggesting that they are not worth acting on since they don't fit your agenda of criticizing the President in hopes of removing him from office?"

LOL ! The mark of the truly desperate in their quest to prop up a sinking ship.

Are you now seriously suggesting now that THESE are the reasons we went to war? If so, then the entire 9-11 argument, the WMD argument, the completely phony human rights arguments were a total waste of time. GWB should have just gone to Congress in January 2001 and said "we are going to declare war on Iraq because they fired some howitzers at our planes."

Even the President and his cronies don't have the abject lack of shame to come up with something this preposterous. In that respect, they sure have one over you !!!

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:06 am

"You mean that oil that we're now seeing at $51.00/bbl on the open market?
Seems to me that prices go DOWN when supplies go up......
Sorry, but your comment's completely false.".

Sorry, but drilling for oil is a bit harder than popping open your Michelob. You don't seriously think that Iraqi oil will just start flowing from the oil fields into your Hummer in a year from a country embroiled in a civil war, do you?

Iraq with only 25 million people has the world's second largest oil reserves after Saudi Arabia. Think about it, genius.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:11 am

What is it that sets Iraq apart from several other countries that warranted so much special attention?

Iraq was violating terms of a cease-fire agreement they'd signed in 1991
Iraq was repeatedly violating terms of U.N. resolutions against it
Iraq was routinely firing on U.S. aircraft
Iraq had actively pursued the assassination of a former U.S. President

Can you think of any other nations on the planet that fit this bill? I sure can't.

Are you now seriously suggesting now that THESE are the reasons we went to war? If so, then the entire 9-11 argument, the WMD argument, the completely phony human rights arguments were a total waste of time.

No, while they're part of the reasons the WMD argument was the most compelling, even though it was based on faulty intel. The President didn't need to lay out the facts about Iraq's failure to comply with the cease-fire agreement since it was self-evident.

Question to you though - are you seriously suggesting that any reasons OTHER than fears of WMD production are invalid ones for going to war?

jasepl

Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:32 am

Can you think of any other nations on the planet that fit this bill? I sure can't.

There's a fair few that do fit at least part of the bill. And unless there's an established rule somewhere that says if you meet these 4 requirements you deserve invasion, please don't tell me that a country that meets only 2 or 3 isn't bad enough do deserve special treatment. Even the United States might be guilty of one. The fact remains that Iraq was one of the most benign of the "evil" states and had no links to terrorism. This is vital because Iraq was invaded under the umbrella of the War on Terror.

What you want is to shoot first then call whatever you hit the target and expect everyone to like it. It's like wanting to have your cake, eat it and turn it into trifle as well.

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:59 am

A comment on the bbc website sums it up perfectly

"Saddam Hussein may be guilty of a number of dreadful things, but thought crime - is this a new legal precedent Bush and Blair are attempting to introduce?"

"Question to you though - are you seriously suggesting that any reasons OTHER than fears of WMD production are invalid ones for going to war? "

Question to you. And to the ever-lying President. If the reasons we went to war were because Saddam Hussein tried a botched up assasination attempt, and because his puny army fired a few rounds into the sky at F-16s, then why didn't you have the guts to tell that to the American people (and the now laugheable coalition of the fooled)? Did 1058 American soldiers and 15,000 Iraqi civilians die horrible deaths because of a few rounds of fire at aircraft that were well beyond their reach? Go ahead. Say that with a straight face.

Jarek

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:02 am

Question to you though - are you seriously suggesting that any reasons OTHER than fears of WMD production are invalid ones for going to war?

EA CO AS

Are you seriously suggesting that those were the reasons for US to attack Iraq?
Are you seriously suggesting that every country fitting this pattern of reasons will be attacked by US?

Regards
Jarek

airplay

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:04 am

17 U.N. Resolutions

Make up your mind America. Do you or do you not care what the UN says?

jasepl

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:09 am

Whatever it is that anyone's suggesting, both Parliament and Congress voted on and sanctioned the invasion of Iraq on the premise and promise that it was practically WMD central. Now we've all found that - just like Macavity - they just weren't there.

Buy there's no we're sorry we were wrong. Just more demands. And blind defence from supporters who are more and more beginning to resemble cattle.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:12 am

Were those the only reasons we went in. No. Far from it, in fact.

The biggest reason? WMDs and the thought that Saddam had or was producing them. Faulty intel was the culprit there.

Were they the ONLY reasons? Not by a long shot!

But again, Bush-haters will do whatever they can to overlook the other reasons or declare them invalid.

How sad.

jaysit

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:24 am

"But again, Bush-haters will do whatever they can to overlook the other reasons or declare them invalid."

Spare us the bull.
A majority of Americans, yours truly included, supported the US attacks on the Taliban in Afghanistan, the war in Bosnia, and Operation Desert Storm. But unlike you, we're not prepared to give carte blanche to a man whose intelligence and leadership skills were dubious to begin with. And unlike you, we're not infatuated with President Bush who has now shown himself to be an unrepentant liar.

"Faulty intel was the culprit there."

LOL. Yes, those perennial fall guys, the CIA. Please, this President was intent on going to war in Iraq on day one of his presidency and he desperately jabbed the square peg of the intelligence reports into the round peg of his mind.

"How sad."

LOL. Spare us the soap operatic routine.
But here's one for you --- How pathetic it is to barter one's mind to a man who doesn't have one. And for nothing.