MD11Engineer
Topic Author

What Do You Think Of Colonel Hackworth?

Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:19 pm

I stumbled over the homepage of retired US Army Colonel Hackworth, who has been fighting as a soldiers from the end of WW2 through Korea and Vietnam and afterwards has been a military correspondent for major newspapers and TV channels (he´s covering the current Iraq war for CNN).
His home page: http://hackworth.com
Have a look at his articles, they make a lot of sense to me. I think he could aspire to become a modern Ernie Pyle. He supports the soldier on the ground, but is highly critical of politicians and top brass.
Esp. read the following article:
http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=Hacks%20Target.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=93&rnd=240.15090115912975

Jan

Edit for spelling error

[Edited 2004-10-15 07:20:42]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

L-188

RE: What Do You Think Of Colonel Hackworth?

Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:23 pm

I agree he has a lot of insights into the way to run a military. Some of which I agree with, some of it I don't
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MD11Engineer
Topic Author

Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:18 pm

He seems to rather listen to the grunt up front than to the pentagon briefings.

Here is another one by a Sgt Lorenz:
http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=Special%20Reports.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=312&rnd=228.12355057321193

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

dl021

Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:27 am

Jan..How are you doing?

Col. David Hackworth is a complicated guy who seems to relish attention. He insists on being introduced as the most decorated living veteran, and he was the one who broke the story about Jerry Boorda's (the former CNO of the Navy) combat decoration that was improperly worn. Boorda did serve there, and thought he was entitled to wear the thing, but Hack made a huge deal out of it and wrote about it in his Newsweek column as well spoe in numerous tv interviews. Boorda subsequently committed suicide in the aftermath of the affair, and Hack was shown to list Ranger tab on his list of qualifications and medals when he really did not earn one. Hack never apologized for it and never atoned for the lack of understanding in Boorda's case, even though Boorda served in combat.

On the other hand Hack is an advocate for the grunt and earns the respect of most infantrymen he meets. He always agitates on their behalf, even if he does it in a way that enhances his PR image.

Go get his first book that he wrote while in self-imposed exile in Australia, you will find it on Amazon. Let me know if you can't find it.

Ian
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?