futureuapilot

Chevy Avalanche, Thoughts?

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:21 pm

At school, evey month we get this assigment to go poll people and get their thoughts about different vehicles. Some of you may remember the topic about the Hummer H2, this month is the Chevy Avalanche. In my opinion, it is a beautiful vehicle, maybe too big but still a very good looking vehicle. What are your thoughs, and if you own one, please post pic's!!! Thanks for the input!
-future Big grin
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

L-188

RE: Chevy Avalanche, Thoughts?

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:23 pm

I don't see the use of it.

Sure you can tow a boat, but if I need the seats, I would be better off with a Suburban or a Yukon. If I need the bed a pickup truck.

Saw one at the home depot with a topper on the back. Again, why not just get the Suburban?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

futureuapilot

Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:58 pm

In my opinion, it's a really good idea. If you need more seats, then you can convert it into an SUV, If you needed to haul some wood for instance, you can turn it into the truck configuration. It's a great idea! Big grin
-future

desertjets

Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:06 pm

In general it is an interesting concept. The removable mid-gate is somewhat useful should you need to haul extra long cargo. However with the body cladding it has more plastic than the rubbermaid section at Walmart. Just looks plain goofy and cheap, especially for a truck that can easily cost more than $40k. With the cladding delete it looks like a regular normal truck, except for the goofy looking buttress.

Like L-188 I suspect that the Avalanche is the answer to a question nobody answered... most would find a truck or a full-sized SUV like the Suburban fully suited to their towing, hauling, getting groceries, and so on.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

tristarenvy

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:29 am

I agree w/the bunch. It's a "Why?" that no one asked. The Silverado w/4 doors can do the same task. It's a novel idea, that drop down wall, but I'd go with a Suburban.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

USAFHummer

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:34 am

I think it looks good, if I could buy any vehicle the Avalanche would be fairly high on my list...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

PHLBOS

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:41 am

Sure you can tow a boat, but if I need the seats, I would be better off with a Suburban or a Yukon. If I need the bed a pickup truck.

At today's prices, not everyone can afford both a pick-up truck and a SUV. The Avalanche allows the flexibility of being a large 5 to 6 passenger vehicle or of having a long bed of a pick-up truck in one vehicle.

My brother jokingly stated that the Avalanche was Chevy's new big sedan.

"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

CaptOveur

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 am

It tries to be a truck, it tries to be an SUV, it fails at both.

To get the full use of the truck bed you have to fold down the back of the cab, lets see someome haul a load of mulch and make their leather interior smell like poo.

On top of all this it is just another ugly gas guzzler to be driven by people with penis, or other inferiority issues.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Marcus

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:57 am

Next year the avalanche will drop the rubbermaid look and will not have all that plastic cladding...
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

NWA742

Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:12 am

Next year the avalanche will drop the rubbermaid look and will not have all that plastic cladding...

No-cladding models have already been offered in 2003+ year models.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

N766UA

Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:45 am

Way too much plastic. Looks like a damn toy. I'd never buy one.
This Website Censors Me

tristarenvy

Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:51 am

And the sad thing IS, that without the cladding, it REALLY looks like just about every other truck around.

Personally, I like the cladding. And IF I had the use for one, I'd get a cladded model.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

Superfly

Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:04 am

I think it's ugly and stupid!
The only people I see driving these are young punks that couldn't afford a H2.

If you need the truck capabilities such as towing, get a Ford F-350.
For towing and hauling, the Ford Excursion is a good idea.
For hauling kids and groceries, get a Busick Roadmaster Estate Wagon.

These are much better alternatives to the Avalanche.

Bring back the Concorde

futureuapilot

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:43 am

Call me crazy, but i think the Avalanche is better looking than all the pictures above... This is great for my report! Keep the replys comming!
-future Big grin

Hamfist

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:48 am

Here's another vote for the TOO MUCH PLASTIC campaign!!

Like the concept, but for 40k+, you need to give me something more solid!

Cactus739

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:51 am

I thought ford had cancelled the Excurion, but looking at ford.com it still shows it listed. Oh well.

I think the Avalanche is a nice looking truck in the right colors. Its gas guzzling, big and expensive.... but if people can afford it more power to them.

Doesn't WellHung have one?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

North County

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:56 am

Superfly is forgetting that the 'Burb is better then the "X".

futureuapilot

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:58 am

Yeah, i must agree, in the perfect colors, it is a beautiful truck, but in the BLACK paint job, i think it's UGLY!
-future

DC10GUY

Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:17 am

Piece of shit gas hog....and ugly too ... And those are the good things I have to say about it ...
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

futureuapilot

Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:26 am

Dc10guy, as much as i want too, i can't put that in my report... Big grin
-future

Superfly

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:06 pm

FutureUApilot:
Trucks aren't supposed to be pretty.
Not only are the Fords ability to tow superior to the Avalanche but have a plain industrial look. That's what a truck is supposed to look like.
The overstyled Avalanche just appeals to young guys who can't afford an H2.
It's all about appearance and impressing there peers after a high school football game.
You will hardly see one towing a boat, cattle or concrete.
Bring back the Concorde

WellHung

Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:08 pm

These responses aren't surprising considering all the people who posted disparaging comments own automobiles that are probably collectively worth half that of an Avalanche. Not to say that the price of an automobile should be a barometer of how much to trust someone's opinion, but you see where I'm coming from. Claiming someone purchases a car/truck because of certain shortcomings sure reeks of many more shortcomings on the accuser's end.

It is what it is. If you want it, it suits your needs (whatever they may be) and you can afford it, get one. If not, don't. Same goes for any car or truck. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

You get all these people who say 'WHY?' You don't see them asking people why they bought an Accord when they could do the same thing in a Civic. Or why they bought an $80 coffee pot that can brew 12 cups instead of a $50 pot that makes 8 cups. That's why there are so many different types of cars and trucks, not to mention all the different brands of food or coffee pots. I'll buy what I want with my money, you buy what you want with yours. Or in Flight152's case, your parents buy you what they want and then you lie about buying it yourself.

Superfly

Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:10 pm

WellHung:
I agree with you on your 3rd paragraph. I did make the mention of shortcomings above and I was basing it off of what I see here in California. Maybe the market is different whare you live.
Keep in mind, those who knock your vehicle aren't doing it out of envy. As you can see, the alternatives I mentioned cost just as much as your Avalanche.
I can certainly afford an Avalanche but I'd much rather spend that kind of money on flight school.
Hell ANYBODY can buy an expensive car as long as they have a co-signer or agree to pay high interest rates. That's why you see so many Escalades in the ghetto and I hate to say it Avalanches in trailer parks.
Car salesmen are desperate to make a sale. Ironicly the Escalade/Avalanche are one of the highest reposessed vehicles on the market.

It's much easier for me to ride the subway to work. Only the CEO gets a parking stall in the building I work in. Otherwise it's $25.00 a day parking downtown San Francisco.

As far as value of my car, high blue book value is $7,000 today, only $3,000 less than the original sticker price of $10000. Keep in mind this is in 1977 dollars.  Smile
Adjusted for inflation, $7,000 is about $30,000 today so my car has tripled in value.
I hate to say it but I doubt the Avalanche will be worth 3 times it's price in 27 years.  Sad

One good thing about the Avalanche is that you CAN get the Durex diesel engine (made by that Japanese company Isuzu).
Why did General Motors have to 'outsource' that job too?
Bring back the Concorde

CaptOveur

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:19 am

"You get all these people who say 'WHY?' You don't see them asking people why they bought an Accord when they could do the same thing in a Civic. Or why they bought an $80 coffee pot that can brew 12 cups instead of a $50 pot that makes 8 cups. That's why there are so many different types of cars and trucks, not to mention all the different brands of food or coffee pots. I'll buy what I want with my money, you buy what you want with yours. Or in Flight152's case, your parents buy you what they want and then you lie about buying it yourself"

Accord over Civic:

interior room

$80 pot@12 cups vs $50 pot@ 8 cups:

Someone who only drinks a couple cups of coffee does not need 12 cup capacity. If this person cooks they know that 12 cup pot most likely takes up extra counter space in their kitchen, something that most of us wish we had more of. Also, the slightly more expensive pot may better match the kitchen, thus minimizing the bitching from the signifigant other. Also, there may be various additional features on the $80 pot, like a timer, or maybe it takes standard filters and the $50 pot does not.

I still fail to see the point of an Avalanche, especially with the massive engine option some people get, I guess they sure are glad they have all that power on the drive to and from work, alone, with gas over $2.00/USG in most of the country right now.

So hung, turn that thing into a "pickup" and try hauling a load of manure, I dare you. or maybe throw a couple toolboxes in the back and lift them in and out a few times a day. I am pretty tall and I have a hard time reaching in and out of that truck bed. But hey, if driving a totally useless vehicle around that pretends to be a truck and SUV makes you happy, go for it.

Congrats on yet another flight152 ass kicking, I would grant you an Arodvaritek but it is just too easy to beat him up over his(parent's) car.

Boeing7E7

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:23 am

We looked at the Avalanche, seems like over kill and didn't seem very rugged. We like our Silverado and Tahoe, it'll pay off this year in the snow.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you want a truck, get a Silverado. If you want and SUV, get a Tahoe.

[Edited 2004-10-19 17:27:05]

PHLBOS

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:02 am

That's why you see so many Escalades in the ghetto...

Ironicly the Escalade/Avalanche are one of the highest reposessed vehicles on the market.

Actually, there was a report in today's news that the Escalade EXT is the number one most stolen vehicle in the country. I'm not sure whether that report is just restricted to newer vehicles (<5 years) or all vehicles. I think the '84 Olds Cutlass Supreme still hold the highest theft record of all time.

As for me, if I wanted a roomy passenger/cargo hauler give me a Roadmaster Estate or a Colony Park a la Superfly any day.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

WellHung

Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:10 am

Superfly, no one knocking the truck here owns the alternatives you suggested. And I don't plan on owning it in 3-4 years, let alone 27, so that doesn't mean a thing. Did you own your car 27 years ago or did you buy it for 3x its original value?

Capt - Well that's nice that the Accord has more interior room, but unless you are a disgusting fatbody (are you?), you can do the same in a Civic. So unless you're prepared to question everyone's choice of anything, it's best to keep your misguided opinion to yourself. When you step into someone's home, do you question their choice of coffee pot? Did it occur to you that they may have people over and need the additional cups and that owning one coffee pot is a hell of a lot more efficient and cost effective than owning two or brewing multiple pots? Also, did it occur to you that most coffee pots are oriented VERTICALLY so as not to take up your valuable counter space?

Is your shack filled with no-frills, bland as hell decorations and appliances? Do you always go for the no-frills brands? Have you ever bought anyhing other than the cheapest, most boring option available? What would be the point of anything else?

Why WOULD I load manure into it? That isn't what I bought it for. How about I take a dump in the backseat of your Geo and you drive around with it all day? And I'm not a plumber or electrician, so I don't have a toolbox that needs loading and unloading. But I can drive to Home Depot and cram a few Mexicans back there to do my work for me.

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:06 am

WellHung:
It's a long bizzar story how I got my car but to answer your question, no I didn't pay blue book value.

Boeing7E7:
if you want a truck, get a Silverado. If you want and SUV, get a Tahoe.

Scarry but I agree with Boeing7E7. Within the General Motors family I like the Silvarado/3500 and Suburban/Tahoe.

The Avalanche/Escalade and H2s are just for show.

PHLBOS:
I read that report in today's paper also. The Escalade EXT version was 20.2% and the base was 10.2 thus making the combined stolen rate 30.4% of all stolen vehicles. That's incredible!
Ironicly my favorite 'new' General Motors vehicles Buick Park Avenue and Buick LeSabre ranked as the least stolen vehicles.
Bring back the Concorde

MHTMDW

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:14 am

This is my truck it is a 1973 International Harvester Wagonmaster. There is nothing new about a shortbed 4 door integral bed/body pickup.

[Edited 2004-10-19 23:15:41]

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:17 am

MHTMDW:
That is beautiful!  Laugh out loud
Bring back the Concorde

PHLBOS

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:19 am

As far as value of my car, high blue book value is $7,000 today, only $3,000 less than the original sticker price of $10000. Keep in mind this is in 1977 dollars.

Adjusted for inflation, $7,000 is about $30,000 today so my car has tripled in value.

Superfly,

Not to bust your bubble here but I'm assuming the $7000 book value you're quoting on your '77 Town Car is in present day dollars. $7000 back in '77 would've probably bought you a rather nice new LTD/LTD Landau or even a Marquis/Marquis Brougham.

$7000 now would have probably been equivalent of about $1600 (using your 7000/30000 ratio) in 1977 dollars. As you very well know, there is no 2005 model car that has a $7000 sticker price anymore than there being a new car stickering at $1600 back in '77.

The only late 70s Lincolns that would go for $30k today would either be the '79 Collector's Series (in immaculate condition) or one of those very rare after-market convertibles.

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:23 am

PHLBOS:
The Diamond Jubilee Mark V might go for about $9,000 in immaculate condition. I can't see one going for $30K.
Bring back the Concorde

MHTMDW

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:26 am

Based on the chassis of its Travelall model, International introduced the Wagonmaster in September of 1972 as a 1973 model. It was marketed towards the then new 5th wheel towing market, yet its short wheelbase and bed made it impractical for this application. In 1973 the Wagonmaster was available in either 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton 2 or 4 wheel drive. Production was extremely limited, and although production continued with the 1974 model year, it was by then referred to as a 5" bed Travelette, which was what IH called their 4 door pickups. 4 wheel drive was not a catolouged option in 1974, but some units were known to have been built as such. Total production of the model is estimated at 300 between both model years, with an estimated 50 or so known to still exist, with perhaps half of these roadworthy. My Wagonmaster is perhaps the oldest known example, with an order entry date of Sept. 11, 1972, a mere five days after the model was introduced to the dealers. Build date of 11/72. Mine is a 1/2 ton model (designatd 1010) with the torsion bar independent front suspension and power front disc brakes. The heavy half (1110), 3/4 ton (1210) and 4x4 models had leaf spring front suspension and drum brakes. Equipment on my truck includes an International 392 cid engine, the largest available, (although an AMC 401 was offered on the 1974 models) a Chrylser TorqueFilte 727 automatic transmision, Dana 60 Trak-Lok rear axle with 3.73 gears, rear air springs, power steering, a/c, custom interior and exterior trim. An almost forgotten footnote of truck history, the Wagonmaster was 30 years ahead of its time

CaptOveur

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:32 am

"Well that's nice that the Accord has more interior room, but unless you are a disgusting fatbody (are you?),"

No, I am 6'4.. A little extra leg and headroom is appreciated

So unless you're prepared to question everyone's choice of anything

I'm not, I was asked for an opnion, not directly but it was open to all, at least that was my understanding.

"do you question their choice of coffee pot?"

No, I don't even drink coffee and I trust most people have their own reasons for whatever purchase they have made. I was simply stating a possible reason to go with the other pot.

"Also, did it occur to you that most coffee pots are oriented VERTICALLY so as not to take up your valuable counter space?"

True, but some have a larger footprint than others.

"Is your shack filled with no-frills, bland as hell decorations and appliances?"

No, on the appliances I usually look for the best combination of quality and price. My girlfriend handles the decorating.. If it were up to me I would have plain white walls and a few posters that have some sort of signifigance to me. Instead we have all kinds of fancy shit that takes up oodles of space we don't have so we can be decorated for whatever season it might be.

futureuapilot

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:35 am

SuperFly, Your aboslutely right, It is "spiced" up more than the Fords, but that's one of the reasons i like it. Impressing my peers has nothing to do with me liking it, in fact, i never thought of that. I like it because, in my opinion, it's a nice looking truck, that's the only reason. I'm wouldn't be hauling anything in it, i have no use for it, and can't afford it. i just like how it looks!
-future Big grin

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:37 am

MHTMDW:
I like the last of the independant auto makes. I am huge fan of AMC also. I'd love to get an 1982-1984 AMC Eagle stationwagon Limited with the woodgrain side panels and or 1973 AMC Javelin Pierre Cardin Edition.

A friend of mine has a 1976 International Scout. We have taken that thing places I thought no vehicle could conquer.

Given the hipster, against the run of the mill, artistic nature of San Francisco, you will see a lot of International Scouts, Travelalls, Pacers, Darts, Mavericks, Ambassadors and other vehicles that aren't your 'typical' classics (Mustangs, Camero, 57 Chevy).
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:43 am

FutureUApilot:
Well if you really want to impress the girls and haul some ass, show up at school in one of these.  Big thumbs up

You can fit the entire cheerleading squad in these! Big grin

Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:45 am

IH's are tough trucks, although I would get the earlier body style, not the box.

Too bad they don't make trucks like that anymore.

Anybody go to the automakers website and spec out a truck or car?

Last time I did that it ran 40K and I didn't even have a fussied up one!

futureuapilot

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:48 am

Oh yeah SuperFly, that's what I'll get! I think i'll stick with my '82 Dodge Rampage!
-future Big grin

MHTMDW

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:54 am

Superfly: Glad you like it. It's not my daily driver, for that I have a used Toyota. Love the wagon pix you posted, my brother just bought a 1989 Buick Wagon to do the Mr. Mom thing in. The NADA site has a 1979 Collectors Series Mk V with sunroof at $11,355 for high retail.

Re the Avalanche I once met a GM factory supervisor, who was drivinng an Avalanche aboslutley amazed by my truck, he said somebody at GM must have seen one and gotten an idea. Doubt that, but he sure was blown away by mine...siad he didnt even like his truck that well as it has terrible visibility, got brutal gas mileage, and had a whine from the drivetrain.

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:55 am

FutureUApilot:
You have a Dodge Rampage?  Wow!

The K-based pick up truck. I had a K-based Chrysler LeBaron convertible. Same frame, powertrain as your Rampage. Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth did so many themes and veriations on that K-car.

Does your Rampage have the 2.6, 2.5 or 2.2 engine?
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:58 am

MHTMDW:
I got these photos from stationwagon.com

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/gallery.html
Bring back the Concorde

futureuapilot

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:06 am

SuperFly, Yep, it is my first car, bought it form my grandpa for $1. The engine is a 2.5. Something interesting about it, the horn goes for no reason some times. We were driving thorugh down town Madison, WI, and all of the sudden the horn goes for no reason, and we can't stop it. We drove for over 20 min with it blaring... Big grin
-future

MHTMDW

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:11 am

L-188 you might like this one then:

It's for sale on a well know auction site just a few hours left!

8311 original miles

Superfly: I would hate to fill a Travelall with gas at Bay Area gas prices!!
I did a 1000 mile road trip towing a pop-up trailer with my truck early this summer. Brutal on gas but oh what fun.

L-188

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:16 am

Yup that's the body style.

Prefer that to the 70's box.

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:25 am

FutureUApilot:
You are lucky to have the 2.5 engine. The 2.2 is trouble. Sorry I can't help you out on the horn. If the horn is on it's own fuse, take that fuse out unit you can fit the problem.

MHTMDW:
I think gas is like $2.55 a gallon here. I don't drive very much but it does cost like $55.00 to fill up my tank. I laugh at those suckers that moved 45 miles out to the East Bay to save $100 - $200 a month in rent. There savings in eaten up by gas prices.

Here is another informative website you might want to bookmark. This exclusivly AMC.
http://www.arcticboy.com/index.html

Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:28 am

The trick with finding a decent AMC is to get one before smog controls became the rage.

Everyone I have seem made in the 1980's was pretty much all hoses under the hood.

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:39 am

L-188:
A friend of mines has a 1984 AMC Eagle stationwagon. He is considering dropping in one of those last generation 258cu" EFI engines that came with the Wranglers up until the late 1990s.
I am trying to convence him to drop in a rebuild 360cu" V8 that came with the Hornet SC Coupe. Those whipped circles around the Mustang GT and Camero SS.
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:42 am

I dunno, it seems pretty insane to do anything with an Eagle. Of course most of those up here are rusted out.

They where pretty popular because of their 4WD, but never had the popularity of the Subaru's.

Actually if I where to rebuild a wreck how about a 60's Travall wagon, with a Dodge Cummings Diesel in it?

Superfly

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:47 am

L-188:
My friend's Eagle is in great shape (exterior/interior). That engine needs a major overhaul.
It's worth fixing up. Every yuppie has a damn Subaru. Those are so ordinary and aren't as solid and comfprtable as the Eagle. That Eagle rides great. I really enjoyed driving it up for him from Los Angeles.
His is Cranberry/Maroon with woodgrain side panels and Cranberry/grey plaid interior.  Smokin cool
Bring back the Concorde