KYIPpilot
Topic Author

Why Is Car Rental Age 25?

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:17 am

I am 19 years old, and I can't rent a car. I was looking into this topic, and most places are 25, 21 being the lowest. However, only New York state allows 18, but you can get up to a 70 dollar surcharge a DAY!!! Even if you are under 25 you could get an age surcharge.

Why???? I have never been in an accident, had a traffic ticket, or even been pulled over by a cop in my 3+ years of driving. I think it should be a case by case intstance if you are under 21. Do they really think that there are no responsible people <25 out there? I guarentee that not everyone >25 is nice to a rental car.

Was the age ever lower in the US?
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

Superfly

RE: Why Is Car Rental Age 25?

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:19 am

Age discrimination.
Get out in vote in large numbers so you aren't f--ked with.
Bring back the Concorde

mdsh00

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:20 am

I guess it coincides with the age that insurance premiums drop. Unfortunately, you and I may have great driving records but theres so many more in the 16-24 age group that don't. Just a case of some people ruining it for everyone.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

EA CO AS

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:21 am

I'd imagine the main reason is because insurance companies begin giving lower insurance rates to people once they hit age 25 based on the propensity for those UNDER 25 to have substantially higher accident rates.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

sccutler

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:28 am

Yes, indeed, it *is* "age discrimination," but is certainly not unlawful age discrimination.

It's all about statistical likelihood of accidents.

Sorry.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

galaxy5

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:32 am

Its based upon statistical data derived from accident investigations showing that 25 year old (mainly males) are the highest risk factor when it comes to car accidents, therfore insurance companies and rental agencies have come to a mutual economic agreement to place that restiction on rental cars.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

Cactus739

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:34 am

I used to have to rent cars when I was under 25. With some companies (I think Budget was the most lenient)... you can rent when you are 21, but usually pay like a $20 a day surcharge. I remember Budget would actually waive that fee when the car was returned if I was able to show I was on a business trip (which I was).

As for why you have to be 25 or more... blame statistics. People under 25 are statisically the most dangerous.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

Sabena332

Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:36 am

I also can not understand this stupid requirement. A buddy and I spent our holidays twice in California a few years ago, unfortunately we could only chose "Budget" as our rental car provider because both of us were under 25 during this time, it sucked because other rental car companies where cheaper than Budget. At least we got upgraded both times to a Mercury Sable and a Chrysler Sebring Convertible respectively  Big thumbs up.

I think this "only over 25" rules applies on most rental car companies in every country.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

desertjets

Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:03 am

Strictly for insurance purposes. Many companies will rent to those 21-25 for only certain classes of vehicles with a surcharge. Normally you will need to call the rental agencies reservations number to get a clear answer. Often you cannot do this online. Some will rent 18-21, most won't. Again varies by state and by rental agency.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

CPDC10-30

Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:00 am

I always rent from Hertz in Canada - even the day after I got my full license never had anything but good experiences and unexpected upgrades.

But in the states they are really tight-ass and refused to honor my reservation. But at least they got a competitor to honor the same rate, which was a nice gesture.

Now Hertz is supposed to charge $15 per day if you are between 21-25 in Canada, but I have still never been charged that fee.

ordflyer

Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:11 am

Yep, this one falls squarely on the shoulders of the insurance companies. I know Michigan is another state that forces companies to rent to drivers under 25, but like NY they hit you with tons of fees. I have been told that Enterprise is pretty liberal about renting to drivers 18-25 but haven't had any personal experiences...has anybody else ever rented from them?

CanadianNorth

Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:19 am

Whats the name of that movie I'm thinking of? you know the one with the rental car bash up piece there? when they absolutely totaled the rental car and then claimed they "hit a dog"?

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

VonRichtofen

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:33 pm

"Now Hertz is supposed to charge $15 per day if you are between 21-25 in Canada, but I have still never been charged that fee."

Same thing happens with me too, they seem happy as long as you have a credit card.  Smile

USAFHummer

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:39 pm

"Whats the name of that movie I'm thinking of? you know the one with the rental car bash up piece there? when they absolutely totaled the rental car and then claimed they "hit a dog"?"

Uh...Jackass the Movie

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Illini_152

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:48 pm

Now here's the best part though-

When I was 16 I was allowed to take a $180,000 airplane halfway across the state all by myself. When I got to my destination, they GAVE me the keys to a new Silverado 3/4 ton to go get lunch on the other side of town. Without even seeing my driver's liscense (but I couldn't rent a car)

When I was 18, I rented at 26' moving van with no problem and drove it 1000 miles, through heavy city traffic and rural mountian roads. With absolutly no experience or training. Nobody batted an eye. Yet if I wanted to rent a $6,000 econobox to drive across town, it never would have happened.

Go figure! Gotta love insurence companies. 2 more years :^)

Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

Superfly

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:20 pm

Males under 25 maybe a higher risk but if you take in to account accidents per miles driven, young men are the safest drivers.
That average accident rate for males under 25 maybe 2 per year but may drive 20,000 miles per year.
The average accident rate for females over 65 may only be 1 per year but only drive an average of only 500 miles per year.
So who is the higer risk driver if they are only renting a car for 1 or 2 days?

AARP would have a fit if insurance laws were based on accidents per miles driven.

Also insurance companies don't charge based on ethicity but we all know how some new immigrants from certain countries drive. I will not point any fingers and I hate to sound like my friend Matt D but I think you know what I am getting at.  Big grin
Just imagine the outrage if insurance companies charged based on that.
Bring back the Concorde

KDTWflyer

Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:45 pm

I'm also 19 and the age limit on car rentals is damn annoying. It's easier for me to travel to and get around in a foreign country than it is here in the car-dependent states. So sorry U.S. travel industry, when I decide to travel overseas ill go to a country where I can actually get around without a car.
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

FlyboyOz

Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:57 pm

In australia, you (any ages) can rent the in any car rental companies but your driver license must be fully qualified.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

iowaman

Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:50 pm

It's not my falt that 20% of the population under 25 can't drive worth a damn, I don't feel it is right. Just cause someone under 21 can't drive doesn't mean I can't drive better. Ya ya it's statisitics but something should be devloped like a quick driving test or something to determine if your a safe driver.

AzoresLover

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:08 pm

Iowaman, you're fighting a losing battle. I went through it, too, until I got old enough to where I could rent. Isn't it funny..."Wow, you hit 25...suddenly you're totally safe and we'd LOVE to rent you a car!!"

That's the way the insurance industry is...probabilities, actuarials, calculations of risk. You can complain "until you're blue in the face", but you can't do anything about it.

Not that it's fair...it's just the unfortunate reality!

A thought: how about if there were some sort of program to recognize good scholars, like some car insurance companies have...if you maintain a certain GPA, or some such requirement, you get a reduced rate, as they feel you're in a lower class of risk. That would seem to me to be more practical than giving a driving test to see if someone is a safe driver. How could a simple driving test at rental time prove anything definitively????
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

MHTMDW

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:22 pm

Long ago and far away... okay Iowa City, 1983, the Hertz franchise in town would rent to students 18+ with a 100 dollar cash deposit. In 1985 I rented from National at O'hare at the age of 20, but i needed a credit card

Arrow

Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:45 pm

Personally, I think they should raise the driving age to 30 for women, 35 for men. They shouldn't let them drink or vote either. And the minimum age for enlisting in the armed forces should be 50 -- that would take care of all the wars. What a peaceful world we'd have.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

WellHung

Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:02 pm

If I made money by lending people my cars, I would charge stupid punk kids more than older adults, too. Lord knows his mommy and daddy are probably paying for it anyway, not to mention the lack of respect for other people's property.

JeffM

Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:16 pm

"If I made money by lending people my cars, I would charge stupid punk kids more than older adults, too. Lord knows his mommy and daddy are probably paying for it anyway, not to mention the lack of respect for other people's property."

WOW! I agree 100%.

and for this one...

"Age discrimination.
Get out in vote in large numbers so you aren't f--ked with."

ROFLMAO.... Vote? What, is there a ballot initiative against Hertz and Avis?

VonRichtofen

Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:43 pm

"If I made money by lending people my cars, I would charge stupid punk kids more than older adults, too. Lord knows his mommy and daddy are probably paying for it anyway, not to mention the lack of respect for other people's property."

Considering I'm under 25, have never had an accident or speeding ticket, and am paying for my own car rental with my own credit card I don't think I should be charged the ridiculous extra fee. I could live with a one time extra fee, but not an added $20/day. Too bad there wasn't a way for rentals to quickly check for demerits on licenses before they rent.

Not only that, but the only near accidents I've been in were because of either some 40 something jackass corporate climber hotshot wannabe in his sedan riding my ass, or...you guessed it... Woman in an SUV or Minivan.

I love how people justify higher rates for young males by saying "statistically they get in more accidents". We all know if it was reversed young women would NOT be getting charged more, that would be sexual discrimination  Insane

Superfly

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:23 am

Rent from Budget rental car.
They are the best. Lowest rates on Lincoln Town Cars and Mercury Grand Marquis.
Bring back the Concorde

KYIPpilot
Topic Author

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:58 am

I love how people justify higher rates for young males by saying "statistically they get in more accidents".

Get this. One of my friends is 28 years old, never gotten a ticket or been in an accident his whole life. All of the sudden his car insurance rates rose 20%. He had no idea why, so he called the company, and they actually said that because he HAD NOT had any accidents or anything, he was more likely to be "due" for one. So he says you're telling me that if I go out and crash my car, my insurance will drop? They said no, because now you have been in an accident.

Can you believe that shit???
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

ltbewr

Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:26 pm

There may be exceptions in the USA as to car rentals to those under 25 (but probably over 21) if your rental is a temporary replacement for insurance purposes, like if your insured car was in a body shop for repairs or stolen. Generally if renting a car for business/employment needs, then - depending on the state - you don't need to pay age surcharges. Lets put it this way, if your under 25, would you lend your car to most of your male friends under 25?  Big grin

AzoresLover

Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:52 am

KYIPpilot -

You've stated very eloquently why most people absolutely HATE insurance companies. Unfortunately you really can't live without coverage.

The perception is, no matter what type of insurance you have - car, health, flood, whatever, when you actually have a claim the company will have a reason NOT to pay your claim, even though you thought you were covered and the reason is nothing that you were aware of.

Insurance is perceived to be a necessary evil. In the end, no matter how much coverage you think you have, or no matter what you think is covered, you will find out at claim time that there is some reason that they will not pay.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

JeffM

Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:14 am

"Rent from Budget rental car."

EWW! I rented from Budget once. BIG mistake. Long lines, funky smelling car, no Neverlost, etc. And the Town Car was a waste of money, even if I was not paying the bil. Get one of the "baby" Jags at Hertz, much nicer ride in my opinion.

anxebla

Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:59 am

JeffM.... I agree with you.I prefer to use big companies, like Avis, Europcar or Hertz.
Like DesertJets say, the limit age is due an insurance purposes.
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft