Continental
Topic Author

Cave Diving!

Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:29 pm

For the past few years, ever since I became obsessed with the freshwater springs of Florida, I've become obsessed with what's below the springs! I plan on traveling to Florida this summer for a few weeks to become a fully certified cave diver! Anyone else do this or have expressed interest in doing so?

How cool is that!? Chambers the size of school gymnasiums filled with fresh, crystal clear water. I am willing to take the risk. I'm doing everything from cave certification, nitrox, tech. diver, everything. I'm looking forward to this!

ArmitageShanks

RE: Cave Diving!

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:16 pm

Check out the Blue Hole in Belize.

Continental
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:44 am

Yeah the Blue Hole is cool, but it's not nearly as cool as the underground freshwater caves in Florida! The problem with Blue Hole, is that it is not a cave!

luv2fly

Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:04 am

Being a diver myself, that is one part of diving I have no desire to do.
You can cut the irony with a knife

futureuapilot

Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:49 am

Looks awesome to me! Take me along sometime... Big grin
-future
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

airplay

Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:38 am

Muff diving is much more fun. The spaces are more confined, but the rewards are incredible...

corocks

Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:26 pm

I love to dive, but diving with my something over my head is the only time in my life that I have found myself to be claustraphobic.

vaporlock

Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:00 pm

I have never actually gone Cave Diving but I have done a lot of reading about it and seen several fantastic shows!!  Big thumbs up

It would be definately something I'd try if I had the opportunity!

Phyllis Big grin

broke

Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:06 pm

Cave diving must be done with a lot of caution, preparation, and strict rules on the use of air.

It can be a beautiful thing to do, but it is incredibly easy to get in and not get out. At many of the spring outlets, diving is either forbidden or strickly restricted due to the number of divers who were lost there.

These caves are part of a large interconnecting system of springs that involves Southern Georgia and most of the Northern third of Florida.

Dye placed in one outlet has appeared at another outlet miles away giving some hint of the extent of this system.

I'm not saying don't do it, but I am saying that a novice diver is not capable of doing this safely. You'll need to train with experienced cave divers in exercises that do not involve caves until your level of competence is elevated.

Continental
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:06 am

Exactly. Like I stated above, I'll be spending weeks down in Florida to do this. I will be instructed by a professional who has done many cave dives and earned himself the Gold Wakulla Award.

Yep, most are connected. The system is huge and simply fascinating. I've always taken interest in cave diving, and want to take my scuba diving level even further. I've completed many many courses in scuba, and I feel this one will be my best.