MSYtristar
Topic Author

DFW To Train Station Questions

Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:35 pm

Hey yall, I'll be in the Dallas area for a couple of weeks as of 11/7 and i'm planning an impromptu Amtrak trip to visit some friends in STL on my days off. I'll be staying at the Marriott Solana (I think that's the correct name) hotel which is said to be 11 miles from DFW airport. The hotel has a free shuttle to the airport, but not to the Amtrak station obviously.

Therefore, for anyone farmiliar with the area, is the Ft.Worth train station closer to DFW than the downtown Dallas train station at Re-Union? What's the best way to transfer from the airport to the train station? I was thinking of some Super Shuttle-type service.

Thanks in advance for any info.  Smile

concord977

RE: DFW To Train Station Questions

Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:59 pm

MSYtristar,

I lived there for 15 years. The train station in downtown Dallas is just a little closer.

Are you sure you want to stay in the Marriott Solana? It is out in the middle of a remote residential area and there is very little around there (no dining, no shopping, no nightlife, etc.) It is a very nice area - but VERY sleepy.

There is a Marriott right at DFW airport on the north side, on Carpenter Freeway (hwy 114). It is a highrise and will provide you with a great view of the airport. Two other highrises that are in the same block are the Harvey Hotel and the Sheraton. (Trivia: I was staying in the Sheraton in 1985 when the DL Tristar encountered a windshear and crashed right in view of the hotel. A really sad day).

As for ground transport to the train station - the Super Shuttle will save you a few bucks, but a cab will get you there much faster. With no traffic, it is only a 20 minute ride.

Curt / concord977
No info

MSYtristar
Topic Author

RE: DFW To Train Station Questions

Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:18 am

Concord977 -

Unfortunately I have to stay at the Marriott Solana for business. I guess I'll have to make due. Thanks for all the information.