Klaus
Topic Author

Nasa Photo Analyst: Bush Wore A Device In Debate!

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:32 am

From Salon.com (get a day pass to read):

For the past week, while at home, using his own computers, and off the clock at Caltech and NASA, Nelson has been analyzing images of the president's back during the debates. A professional physicist and photo analyst for more than 30 years, he speaks earnestly and thoughtfully about his subject. "I am willing to stake my scientific reputation to the statement that Bush was wearing something under his jacket during the debate," he says. "This is not about a bad suit. And there's no way the bulge can be described as a wrinkled shirt."

[...]

Bruce Hapke, professor emeritus of planetary science in the department of geology and planetary science at the University of Pittsburgh, reviewed the Bush images employed by Nelson, whom he calls "a very highly respected scientist in his field." Hapke says Nelson's process of analyzing the images are the "exact same methods we use to analyze images taken by spacecraft of planetary surfaces. It does not introduce any artifacts into the picture in any way."

If the original image is in fact correct, there´s little doubt there was something under his jacket.

Does it matter?

Well, only if you want a president who can still speak coherently when his batteries have given up...  Nuts

LHMark

RE: Nasa Photo Analyst: Bush Wore A Device In Debate!

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:33 am

Damn communist Al-Qaida NASA scientists who hate America...
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

N771AN

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:34 am

Where's the picture of the dead horse???

Schoenorama

RE: Nasa Photo Analyst: Bush Wore A Device In Deba

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:35 am

Wow, a professor emeritus of planetary science studying Bush's backside. Was he looking for Uranus?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

b757300

Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:54 am

Salon.com is still pushing this story even though it has been refuted and rejected even by the New York Slimes and SEE-BS? I guess since the only thing keeping them online is the hundreds of millions poured into it by rich liberals, they put out liberal whack job stories. Also, the "expert" is a well know Democrat donor.

Clinton also had the same bulge under his suit. Probably from the same thing, a bullet proof vest.

http://www.af.mil/media/photodb/photos/040112-F-8489N-029.jpg

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1997/sep/09-26-97/photos/apnewclinton092697.gif

Finally, two other things that sink this story. If Bush was wearing a device that let him get his talking points from someone, given today's technology it would not have to be large or mounted on the person. It could be in the ear and not noticed. Also, if Bush had been wired, he would have done better in the first debate.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

L.1011

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:28 am

The very same Robert M Nelson that gave $2,000 to Howard Dean...

JeffM

Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:35 am

You probably believe the story about the "face" on Mars too....

Boeing7E7

Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:48 pm

Yes Klaus, he wore a device. Made of Kevlar.

JOSEMEX

Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:08 pm

If he had really been wired, don't you think the Democratic Party or the Kerry campaign would be all over it, or raised some kind of (official) complaint?

dragon-wings

Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:41 pm

If he had really been wired, don't you think the Democratic Party or the Kerry campaign would be all over it, or raised some kind of (official) complaint?

And if he was wired don't you think the guy feeding him the answers could of come up with better ones than he did!  Laugh out loud
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

CaptOveur

Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:48 pm

Congrats Klaus, you earned one of these:

Professional help is availible for disorders like this. The man was probably wearing a bullet proof vest, he is the President of the United States, he probably wears one just about any time he goes out in public, I know I probably would. There is a decent chance Kerry was wearing one too.

If you are cheating there is no excuse to not win. Plus, you all think he is stupid and borderline retarded so I will ask you this: Ever try to speak with someone else talking in your ear? It is damn near impossible and it takes TV personalities a pretty long time to learn to do it seamlessly.

Also, the wire required for an earpiece would not need to be NEARLY that large, If they showed me a battery pack or something under his clothes I might start to believe this line of bull.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Klaus
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:50 pm

The kevlar vest explanation is probably the most plausible, indeed.  Wink/being sarcastic

It just shows again that a dementi isn´t necessarily the best way to go...

theCoz

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:02 pm

The kevlar vest explanation is probably the most plausible, indeed.

This may be a stupid question, but why doesn't the media speculate that it was a vest? That's the first time I saw this explanation for it. It sounds completely valid, yet not even mentioned except for on here.

Why would anyone in a dangerous situation not wear a vest? Sounds like preparedness to me; not cowardice.

Boeing7E7

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:14 pm

This may be a stupid question, but why doesn't the media speculate that it was a vest?

Because the media is stupid. Period.

Could be suspenders as well, however, his jacket "stood up" in front. Same as it does when is out in a crowd where he'd clearly be wearing a kevlar vest. Most likely, it's a chest vest. Someone sneaking into the audience would be more of a concern that from backstage where the secret service was at.

dragon-wings

Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:49 pm

If that indeed is a kevlar vest is Bush the first president to wear a kevlar vest at a debate?
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

NoUFO

Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:57 pm

I have no idea what you read or watch on TV. But our left-left media did indeed discuss a vest. A spokesman, however, said Mr. Bush did not wear a vest. He said it was nothing but a wrinkled jacked.
I support the right to arm bears

N6376M

Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:20 pm

Poor Klaus. Paranoia will destroya.

What are you going to do after Tuesday when W wins re-election, by what all indications point will be a fairly large number? The obsession that you and Alpha1 have is really very entertaining but it borders on a mental problem.

L-188

Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:22 pm

So has this scientist been on Art Bell before or what?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

gkirk

Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:30 pm

Makes you wonder what John Kerry is hiding in that massive chin of his?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Klaus
Topic Author

N6376m

Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:36 pm

N6376m: Poor Klaus. Paranoia will destroya.

That´s quite amusing coming from somebody who still believes Saddam Hussein was a "mortal threat" to the USA!  Nuts

Your paranoia already has left a bloody trail of destruction through both the middle east and through more than thousand homes in the US and in "coalition" countries.

I´d say I can live with mine rather better than that.

[Edited 2004-10-30 13:44:49]

N6376M

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:30 am

Klaus - pray tell where I've ever written that Saddam was a mortal threat to the US? Come on put up or shut up. You can't just make up quotes or statements to support any ridiculous claim you dream up in your head.

Show us - where have I said this?

You're delusions are really getting out of control.

Klaus
Topic Author

N6376m

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:54 am

N6376m: Klaus - pray tell where I've ever written that Saddam was a mortal threat to the US?

What else is your reason du jour for the invasion? They´re changing so often it´s hard to keep track. And none of them is even halfway consistent with verifiable reality.

Almost half of all americans apparently still believe that Saddam was behind 9-11 - which is false, but it was a useful falsehood to coax them into the war.

N6376m: You're delusions are really getting out of control.

I´m sorry for your well-deserved embarrassment, but I haven´t had to change my argumentation from before the war. Your side is still flip-flopping all over the place, depending on which of the inventive excuses have just been shot down again.

N771AN

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:57 am

Putting words in bold is a sure sign of delusion. I suggest you get medical help.

gkirk

Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:57 am

Klaus, come on, your turning into a typical Eurowhining cheese eating surrender monkey. Beahve yourself  Wink/being sarcastic  Wink/being sarcastic
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Klaus
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:02 am

N771AN: Putting words in bold is a sure sign of delusion. I suggest you get medical help.

Your response is weak and devoid of substanceBig grin

GKirk: Klaus, come on, your turning into a typical Eurowhining cheese eating surrender monkey. Beahve yourself

Coming from whom??? You´re a real joker!  Big thumbs up

JetService

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:19 am

You guys got it all wrong. The President was packing heat in case the Senator started getting a little jiggy.

In all seriousness, I put my money on this being a fake. Being a Mac guy and all, Klaus of all people should know how easy this would be with highlights and shadows.
"Shaddap you!"

Qb001

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:33 am

Captoveur,

With your "ideas" and your promotion of refusing to debate an issue with serious arguments, here's what will happen of your country:

Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

aa61hvy

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:36 am

QB- maybe if you pulled your head out of where the sun don't shine you'd realize that picture can be easily faked. Even the author to the thread agreed it is most likely a bullet proof vest.
Go big or go home

jaysit

Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:17 am

A bullet proof vest?

Please.

What did the idiot think? That his answers would be so profound that someone would want to shoot him?

The only argument refuting the wired up Bush puppet theory is how badly he performed in that first debate. He was a laughing disgrace. Even Dada Idi Amin now deceased of Uganda could have debated his droopy fake Texan ass off.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Klaus
Topic Author

JetService

Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:09 am

JetService: You guys got it all wrong. The President was packing heat in case the Senator started getting a little jiggy.

Can you lead the USA from jailBig grin

JetService: In all seriousness, I put my money on this being a fake. Being a Mac guy and all, Klaus of all people should know how easy this would be with highlights and shadows.

I don´t think so... The image is consistent with other independent snapshots. The difference is the noise filtering in the first step. It´s standard procedure in signal processing; Even my TV set has such a multi-frame noise filter.

It´s certainly still the question what exactly was there under his jacket, but with the reputation of the scientists involved I doubt the image itself is a hoax.

Not that it´s the biggest reason to vote for or against Bush... Just an amusing detail if it should in fact have been a souffleur device. Must have done more harm than good the first time from what we´ve seen, but much better the third time around, when he was uncharacteristically coherent...  Wink/being sarcastic

GDB

Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:22 am

So he cannot, even with this alleged 'aid' still barely string a coherent sentence together without constantly reverting to buzz words and cliches?

I seriously doubt he was helped in this way, too risky and the wonders of modern technology can make anything not what it seems from an image.

Given that, what's the 'let me finish' all about when no one else was speaking?
Tourettes?

CaptOveur

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:25 am

"What did the idiot think? That his answers would be so profound that someone would want to shoot him?"

Jaysit, please tell me you aren't actually that stupid?

He is the President of the United States, popular or not there is always a faction that would love to take a shot at him. I bet he wears one any time he is out in public. There was a public audience there, yeah they went through metal detectors but a plastic zip gun is not a terribly hard thing to make. The Secret Service knows that no matter how much security they have, if someone wants to take a shot at him bad enough they can, so they also try to improve his chances of survival if someone does shoot at him..

Naturally the SS would deny he is wearing one, while they are at it why don't they say what the largest caliber bullet his limo will stop as well?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

itsjustme

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:35 am

Strangest outline of a kevlar vest I've ever seen.

PPGMD

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:33 am

You guys got it all wrong. The President was packing heat in case the Senator started getting a little jiggy.

Actually Klaus, though unlikely it still has a nugget of truth to it. Remember before the first debate, Senator Kerry was given a really nice shotgun (one that illegal or requires registration in his home state), and he said, "It's too bad I can't take this to the debates with me."

Anyways I have seen similar outlines on some of the executives that I have had meetings with, it's just the outline that comes with the particular cut of the shirt and jacket. Either that, or I am being investiaged...

At worst, you screw up and die.

jetjeanes

Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:46 am

I wear a level II vest under my suit, which is very uncomfortable and does make you look a little heavier but there is very little protection on a vest in that region. its not like it creeps up to the back of your neck. There could be a possibilty that being the prez,they could have another piece that velcroes over the bare spot... now the wire looking thing i dont know what that could be... If they were going to feed him answers there are other ways of doing it by placeing something in his hairline behind his ear. Or something in the shoe, left foot right foot shock type thing,, good answer right foot drifting off course left foot.....
i can see for 80 miles

aa61hvy

Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:32 am

Don't you think the president would have some real high tech stuff, and would hide it in a better place than his back?
Go big or go home

leviticus

Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:14 am

DC10GUY

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:21 am

It just goes to show you the lengths the republicans will go to prop up their idiot... You have to question their blind dedication sometimes.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

ltbewr

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:44 am

This has been discussed before here. My response then and still stands, is to believe it is a bullet resistant vest. If if was a 'communications device', perhaps it may be part of a presidential emergency device, for use in case of an assination attempt, or national emergency. Perhaps it is something someone in the Secret Service can actuate to get the President out of trouble in public, so doesn't embarass himself after his lack of immediate response at that Florida School the morning of September 11th after being notified of the initial attacks.  Big grin

DC10GUY

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:53 am

True Ltbewr, that could be what it is.... But I'll bet it was a bad attempt to cheat at the debate.

JeffM

Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:40 pm

"(2004-10-11) -- A forensic scientist studying photographic evidence has identified an object which caused a bump on the back of a suit jacket worn by President George Bush during his first debate with John Forbes Kerry.

"It's a spine," said the unnamed scientist. "The president's backbone, in a sense, was showing during his debate with Mr. Kerry."

Similar images of Mr. Kerry showed "no comparable spinal features."

When asked about the new evidence, Mr. Kerry said, "I had a spine when I defended this country as a young man, and I hope to have one again someday..."

Big grin

DC10GUY

Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:04 pm

WOW Dubya's spin sure is crooked !!! must a a old war wound a ??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, not!

JeffM

Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:05 am

Well Dc10Kid, Kerry got shot in the ass..... what was he trying to do? Run away? Or advance the retreat?  Big grin

prebennorholm

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:28 am

Am I the only one who finds it quite natural that a governing president of a superpower carries something more sophisticated than a Nokia cell phone?
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

LHSebi

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:44 am

perhaps it may be part of a presidential emergency device, for use in case of an assination attempt, or national emergency.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Yes, if there was an assasination attempt, Bush needs some sort of buzz in his ear, to tell him he had better remove himself from open view! Wouldn't surprise me...

I just find it strange, since there obviously is something there, but not even the Secret Service wants to say what it was...suspicious?

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.