AGC525
Topic Author

Pittsburgh Steelers

Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:03 pm

Being from the 'burgh of course I wave the terrible towel, but from what I gather the Steelers have a huge following nationwide. I thought I'd see what other a.net Steelers fans are out there and where yinz are all from. And if thats the case, with them having a good season so far, maybe this can be a discussion about them.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

garnetpalmetto

RE: Pittsburgh Steelers

Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:49 pm

AGC - I'm from Columbia, SC, but have been a Pirates, Steelers, and Pens fan from the time I started following sports. My Dad was born in Uniontown so as I was growing up he'd tell me about the great Pittsburgh teams of years past and I just sort of grew into loving the black and gold. Like so many other families, watching/participating in sports was a bonding rite between me and my Dad, and I have memories of times plunked down on the couch watching the Steelers. Now that Dad's gone those memories are all I have left, that and being a fan of Pittsburgh's sports teams. Hopefully the day will come soon when the Pirates will win the Series, the Steelers win the Super Bowl, or the Penguins win the Stanley Cup once more.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

yokohama1970

Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:59 pm

I lived in Mt. Lebanon (South Hills), when I was a kid. I also graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 1994 (BA-Communications). I have always been a "Steel Curtain" Steelers fan. Heinz Field is amazing & it has Grass! Three Rivers was a horrible multi-purpose venue.

I hate to admit it, but I thought the Steelers would lose 10-7 against the New England Patriots. The Steelers Offense, Defense & Special Teams were outstanding! The Philadelphia Eagles will be a challenge. We must contain T.O. & McNabb! "Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!"

I really wish that Forbes Field would have been preserved. Not a huge Pirates fan, though. PNC Park is a great MLB field, with awesome city views & Grass! Red Sox fan for life! My dad was born in Providence, RI. I spent most of my childhood & Teenage Summers in RI.

Of course, I am a Mario Lemieux fan. He is just behind Raymond Bourque for me. I have always been a Boston Bruins & Toronto Maple Leafs fan. Maple Leafs Garden was incredible!

Pitt Panthers Basketball & Football fan. I miss Pitt Stadium, though. College Football should always be played on Campus.
Thank You Derek! Good Luck with the LA Dodgers

4holer

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:51 am

Born and raised in the South Hills as well! (Thomas Jefferson HS)
I'm still a huge fan of all of the teams. I even got DirecTV and shelled out the $240 just to see the Steelers play this year. I got the Pittsburgh radio feed online to hear Myron Cope's takes on the game, but it's on too much of a delay to play during the game...
I live in PHX, and I can tell you that there is a lot of black and gold on cars out here. If you go to a sports bar on a Sunday, you'll always find a healthy number of Steeler fans.
I follow the Bucs pretty closely, but think that the 'Guins are doomed... Sorry Mario!
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

AGC525
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:12 pm

I went to Steel Valley and went to high school with Charlie Batch. I just read Roethlisberger is going to continue to start even when Maddox gets better. Porter also got AFC player of the week.

I live in Munhall, nice to see all the folks that used to live around here!

I think the Pens are done too. This strike isn't helping anything at all.

N670UW

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:46 pm

Honestly, I don't follow the Pirates or the Penguins very closely, but that said...

...I live in eastern Ohio (an hour from the 'Burgh) and I'm a huge Steelers fan (more of a fan when they're actually winning  Laugh out loud). Roethlisberger is on fire right now and it's great to see them winning.

Go Steelers!!!
Beat The Eagles!!!

and where yinz are all from

A true Pittsburgher...you said 'yinz'!  Laugh out loud

N670UW

USAFHummer

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:50 pm

...will lose to the Eagles next weekend!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

N670UW

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:55 pm

USAF, is Westbrooke playing this Sunday?

N670UW

USAFHummer

Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:59 pm

He's listed as questionable...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

BN747

Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:45 pm

All I can say about Roethlisberger is ....WOW!

I just hope he's the real deal and not a one-hit wonder. I can't wait to see this weeks game... but I gotta favor Philly in this one. But I hope Ben and Bettis make it a serious contest! Duce is gonna turn it up just to spite the Eagles.

BN747

"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

miamiair

Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:34 pm

Steelers 27
Eagles 17

I grew up in Miami, but was always a Steelers fan. I have my terrible towel too. There were alot of Steelers fans at the PIT-MIA game this year, or the mud-bowl if you want to call it that.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

AGC525
Topic Author

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:08 pm

I'm suprised they even played that game with all the recent hurricane damage, not too mention all that rain and mud. That was something else.

Falcon84

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:16 pm

Steeler Fan, you might be interested in knowing that the largest booster organization of any pro sports teams is the Browns Backers!  Big thumbs up

http://www.brownsbacker.com/

Too bad our team isn't as good as that organization.  Big grin

Btw, it still galls me that you guys got Big Ben. I told everyone who would listen that the Browns should draft him if he was available. You guys have the next great quarterback for this decade. Damn, that sucks the big one.  Sad
Work Right, Fly Hard

NWADC9

Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:11 pm

I live in Coraopolis, which is 15 minutes (10 if only we could go THROUGH THE FREAKIN' HILL WHERE THE AIRPORT IS ON!!!!! Acting devilish) away from PIT.

AND I HATE THAT WORD, "YINZ"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Acting devilish
I'm such a party-pooper Big grin

Yes, I'm a native Pittsburgher Big grin
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

NWADC9

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:42 pm

BTW, has anyone ever BEEN to a Steelers football game?

Sadly, I haven't Sad
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

AGC525
Topic Author

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:11 pm

I thought I'd throw a "yinz" in there and see who would catch it  Smile

I went to my first game when it was the last year at Three Rivers. A friend of mine's in laws have season tickets, so when he gets the tickets I usually go. I'll go to about two or three games a year. Heinz Field is beautiful, with a great view of the city. It's definitely an awesome crowd, true Pittsburghism!!

By the way, check out the prices of tickets on eBay for the game this Sunday against the Eagles, it's outrageous!!

Falcon84

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:19 pm

Well, this weeks Stillers-Iggles games may be a preview of SuperBowl 39 (I am NOT going to do the roman numeral on that one!  Big grin ). Both these teams are loaded. The scary thing about the Stillers is they have a QB who is probably 3 or 4 years away from realizing his full potential. Frightening.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N670UW

Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:25 pm

Falcon...it's easier than the last few have been...XXXIX

I've been to two Steeler games.

My first was in Jacksonville, FL at Alltel Stadium against the Jaguars in 2002 (which I believe was Kordell's last start as a Steeler).

My first game in Pittsburgh was at Heinz Field last year against the Raiders (which the Steelers won). It was about 30° and the wind chill was about 0, and the seats were covered in snow from the previous day's snowfall, but it was all in good fun.  Big thumbs up

N670UW

WellHung

Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:50 pm

The Steelers are a fluke. They will crumble under the pressure.

4holer

Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:21 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What's that you said?
Fluke?
Oh.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

TechRep

Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:23 am

I aslo felt this way but they are truely for real!

TechRep

AGC525
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:05 am

Steelers 24
Eagles 3

Fluke? oh, ok. PIT>JAX  Smile

Great game today

garnetpalmetto

Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:24 am

Pay no mind to A.Net's resident attention whore, WellHung. He just likes to stir things up.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

aa61hvy

Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:11 am

Good for Pit. I hate the Eagles with a passion i'm glad the Steelers laid an ass kicking on Philly. TO finally got put in his place. Pit won't win the SuperBowl though
Go big or go home

AGC525
Topic Author

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:26 am

They played another great game. I hope it sticks, they're in for a great year.

N670UW

Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:49 am

Two tough division road games coming up. We'll see how they fare.....

N670UW

N766UA

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:30 am

At first I thought we'd just have the usual good but not good enough team, but now..... wow. Beating the Pats and the Eagles back to back proves we've got one of if not the best team in the NFL right now. Go Stillers!  Big thumbs up
This Website Censors Me

Falcon84

Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:41 pm

Stillers are only 4 point favorites on the Browns?

MAke a smart news-take Pittsburgh outright in that one. It won't be that close.

And when it isn't, the Butch-Watch in Cleveland goes into full swing.
Work Right, Fly Hard

MxCtrlr

Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:23 pm

Speaking as a Dolphins fan (I was born and raised just outside of Miami proper - and I am white and speak English as a primary language - imagine THAT), with little else to cheer for in Miami Dolphins-land this year, the Stillers really made my day by first knocking the Patsies off their high-horse winning streak and then knocking the Iggles out of the unbeaten column. Thank you Big Ben!

I was skeptical of them at first but, after the last two weeks, they are really showing that they are a team to be reckoned with in the AFC. The Patsies are probably hoping the Steelers get knocked out of the playoffs early because, if it gets to the AFC Championship and its Pittsburgh vs. NE, I would go with Pitt. (And personally, if anyone deserves to be in the big game, its Bill Cowher and Big Ben Rothilesberger)!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

garnetpalmetto

Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:56 am

AGC525
Topic Author

Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:29 am

I seen they made the cover of SI this month.

Garnet- nice pic!!!!

NWADC9

Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:32 am

GREAT PIC, GARNET!!!!!!!!!!! Big thumbs up

Let's see, I see an Eagle, and a patriot...
BTW, pretty soon, the Brownies will soon be BATTER!!!!!!!!!! Laugh out loud

garnetpalmetto

Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:43 pm

Ted Crow's (sports cartoonist for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) stuff is great  Big thumbs up Other good ones from this season:

(translation: Tommy Gun Who?)

AGC525
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:09 pm

Those are awesome, I should read the Post Gazette more often!

AGC525
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:33 am

Steelers 24
Browns 10

Roethlisberger is making history
Tuesday, November 16, 2004

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Ben Roethlisberger became the first rookie quarterback in NFL history to win the first seven games that he started.

“He has gotten more and more confident with each game and players have gotten confident with him,” said head coach Bill Cowher. “He is making very good decisions. He is a very mature kid on the field and on game day he has a great feel for the game."

Safety Russell Stuvaints scored his first NFL touchdown on a 24-yard fumble recovery against the Browns.

For Stuvaints it was special doing it in Cleveland as he played college ball at nearby Youngstown State.

"It's always nice when the ball's in your hands," Stuvaints said. "It was the perfect scoop and score."

Stuvaints is living out a dream right now by playing for the Steelers, the team he watched and cheered for as a kid growing up in McKeesport, Pa., just outside of Pittsburgh.

"I'm a die-hard Steeler fan," Stuvaints said. "This is unbelievable, man. It's a dream come true. I don't even think my mom could have dreamed anything more than this. This is just as much her dream as mine. It's just awesome to be playing for my hometown team."

Running back Jerome Bettis is just five yards away from passing Tony Dorsett and moving into fifth place on the NFL’s all-time rushing list.

"That's a big honor considering I was a Dallas Cowboys fan growing up," said Bettis. "I know the Steelers fans don't want to hear that. Just to go past a guy like Tony Dorsett, and how amazing he was, is just an honor, because I'm not that flashy. He was a flashy guy, 99-yard-touchdown guy. Just to go out and work hard and be able to be mentioned in the same breath as all these guys is an honor for me."

And while talking about favorite NFL teams growing up, linebacker James Harrison, admitted his favorite team was the Browns after the game.

Harrison, who started on Sunday for Joey Porter, did switch alliances once the Browns left Cleveland and it was then that the black and gold got into his blood.

"When the Browns left for Baltimore, I made the Steelers my team,” said Harrison. “When they came back, they were still wearing those ugly uniforms, so I stayed with the Steelers."

The Steelers and the United Way of Allegheny County will team with the 911th Airlift Wing to host a youth football skills camp for children of deployed servicemen and women today. The Junior Training Camp will be held at the 911th Airlift Wing as a part of the NFL's Hometown Huddle. Steelers played and military volunteers will work with about 100 kids on different football skills. Among the Steelers expected to attend are wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen , tight end Matt Kranchick , linebacker Clark Haggans and running back Dante Brown .