TechRep

Bush Recieves The Most Votes In US History

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:41 pm

It was mentioned on CNN and NPR that Bush received the most votes for a U.S. President in history. At 58,314,986 that is truly impressive and Kerry put up some great numbers as well. I am truly happy with the number of people who voted and it should reach high 50% or low 60's for turnout.

TechRep

ConcordeBoy

RE: Bush Recieves The Most Votes In US History

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:42 pm

Also, Bush did what Clinton never could.... won by a national majority
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

airplay

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:43 pm

The results were proof of the value of effective advertising. The American people did just what CNN told them to do....

ConcordeBoy

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:44 pm

...proving you've never watched CNN much  Nuts

OYRJA

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:46 pm

The results were proof of the value of effective advertising. The American people did just what CNN told them to do....

What CNN told them to do?? I don't know if you get CNNI like we do. But I think they have been very neutral in this election process.

Usairwys757

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:46 pm

Nothing but embarrassment is all I feel right now. I'm embarrassed that so many people support W. and want him back in office.
Inactive.....

DIJKKIJK

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:50 pm

Also, Bush did what Clinton never could.... won by a national majority

erm, as of 3 Nov 2004, 13:45 hours Western Europe Time, the tally reads

Bush : 254
Kerry :252

(required: 270)

with Ohio still remaining to be decided.

Don't jump to conclusions Concordeboy, It's the lawyers who are going to decide this one.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:54 pm

well, 'least you aren't so oblivious as to be "surprised", as some others drolly appear to be  Nuts

j_hallgren

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:56 pm

But at least this time, the Dems can't say K won the national popular vote! It's much more than the 500K that they keep yapping about in 2000...more like 4M!
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

airplay

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:59 pm

CNN and other media outlets have been telling their viewing audience that Bush is ahead. So Bush is ahead.

I made no comment about CNN's neutrality. I could have used any media outlet, but if I said FOX instead of CNN I would surely not be taken seriously.

TechRep

Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:59 pm

I Repeat! The absentee ballots in Ohio will need to go 94%-97% Kerry. That is a statistical impossibility. The State of Ohio goes to Bush, Popular vote Bush and the Electoral College goes to Bush!

TechRep

N6376M

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:06 am

George Bush has not won Ohio. This is a lie. I swear by Allah that John F. Kerry will lead this great country regardless of what the stupid American electorate has voted for.

I tell you this vote is still to close to call. We are confident that after all the votes are counted Democrats will pick seats in the Senate.

airplay

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:15 am

....and the Electoral College goes to Bush!

I admit I don't understand the process completely, but isn't there still a chance that the Electorate of any of the states can still submit votes contrary to the what the polls indicate?

I believe this provision was added as an "out" to prevent states from making stupid decisions. And if the electoral process is just what is needed in this case in my opinion as it seems a great deal of people down there have obviously flipped their lids...

In Colorado's first year as a state, the electorate submitted its votes even though there was no public vote held in the state that year.

planespotting

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:18 am

Yeah it's really awesome how divided america is right now, probably more divided then we were in 1968, one of the worst years in American History. We can thank Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney for scaring 58,000,000 Americans into voting because their afraid of something, rather then voting because they believe in something.

The GOP played the game and won. Kudos.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

jcs17

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:27 am

We can thank Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney for scaring 58,000,000 Americans into voting because their afraid of something, rather then voting because they believe in something.

What position of John Kerry did you actually believe in? Americans were scared of voting John Kerry into office, I can't think of a much more dangerous proposition than that.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Catatonic

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:32 am

well has bush bloody won or not?
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

planespotting

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:37 am

What position of John Kerry did you actually believe in?

I'm glad you asked.

I believe that the american public should not be lied to for the course of an unjust, ill conceived and un planned war.

I believe that No Child Left Behind was a mistake, and that children are getting an even worse education then they were 4 years ago based on discussions with the people who actually teach, not people who make policy.

I believe that health care is one of the most important issues facing this country today, and the fact that it has been basically ignored by the Bush Administration shows that this man who is supposedly a "born again christian" isn't focusing on the people who actually need the help. I am no christian, but wasn't Jesus the one who hung around with thugs, prostitues, poor people,etc...i.e. The people who actually needed the help were the ones he helped. people should get off their christian high horse and start realizing what it means to say you believe in God and jesus and all that bullshit. It's not just so you can say you dissaprove of gay people and abortion...

I believe that John Kerry is a leader who i can trust and who can actually lead a country. Rather then letting other people do it for him.

just my thoughts. it's a moot point today, but they needed sharing anyhow.

jcs17

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:45 am

I believe that health care is one of the most important issues facing this country today, and the fact that it has been basically ignored by the Bush Administration shows that this man who is supposedly a "born again christian" isn't focusing on the people who actually need the help

Health care? I really hope you're not talking about the skyrocketing costs of health care. Do you really believe that John Kerry would've done anything about it. Look who he nominated as VP, a man whose fraudelent medical malpractice lawsuits are the reason why health care costs are so high? Do you think that Edwards would be in favor of capping liability for physicians and general tort reform? My ass he would.

I believe that the american public should not be lied to for the course of an unjust, ill conceived and un planned war.

So you vote for a guy whose positions on Iraq are about as clear as a muddy river? Just because you think the war is what you said above doesn't mean that John Kerry has some kind of viable alternative. Its not like the President willfully lied to the American people, he had bad intelligence. Ill-planned? I'd like you to name me a conflict that has gone strictly as planned.

America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Mir

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:51 am

I'd like you to name me a conflict that has gone strictly as planned.

No conflict ever goes as planned, of course. But the invasion part of the Iraq war was planned in great detail, and the planning took into account a vast number of possibilities. That's the main reason why it went so quickly, and so well. It's obvious, from the utter mess that's over there, that there was next to no post-war planning.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

planespotting

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:59 am

In terms of health care, John Kerry's administration would have made much more of an attempt to bring health care to the people who don't have it, rather then being ignored by President Bush. I don't expect results, i do expect effort. I'd rather have someone try to push healthcare reform and fail then someone not try at all.

John Kerry's position on Iraq is perfectly clear. The problem that people associate with John Kerry is that he changed his mind. President Bush however has appeared steadfast in his approach to iraq. Smart People are willing to look at the facts and make decisions that could be entirely different then the course of action that has been followed up to that point, or at least say "hmm we may have done some things incorrectly". He doesn't even admit that any mistakes were made, at all. Surely anyone with common sense could make a few assertions about mistakes both strategically and tactically in this war:

The intelligence was wrong. It was not fully researched and there were flags that should have made people aware that maybe we don't have the best information, however this administration pressed on anyway in spite of it.

Declaring victory too early. You tell the troops mission accomplished and then expect them to stay in the same sort of battle mode they were in for the few weeks when we came in and annhilliated the iraqi army? What would you do if you're told that your job is done. You sure as hell aren't gonna be expecting to do much work if you think the mission is over.

Forgetting about Osama Bin Laden. "I'm really not too concerned about him" (even though he was the one who killed 2500 innocent american people and brought down one of the americas greatest symbols).

the list goes on. I know im not going to change anyones mind. Just stating the obvious facts about the problems of the current administration.

jaysit

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:16 am

GWB most certainly did.

But remember that Ronald Reagan won by a nearly 20% margin of the popular vote in 1984 over Walter Mondale (and a crushing electoral victory in which even Massachusetts voted for Reagan !). Roughly 82 million voters turned out then (we had a smaller population and fewer registered voters 20 years ago), so a comparison of the number of votes GWB got is odious and its punch pales in comparison to Reagan's decisive victory in which he truly crossed party lines.

In the past 30 odd years, I think that Reagan was the only Presidential candidate who crossed party lines and built a bipartisan base in 1984. Clinton did not, and neither did GWB.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

jamesag96

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:26 am

"Yeah it's really awesome how divided america is right now, probably more divided then we were in 1968, one of the worst years in American History. We can thank Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney for scaring 58,000,000 Americans into voting because their afraid of something, rather then voting because they believe in something."

Actually...if you paid attention it was the most votes ever for a Pres...and the first time since Reagan to get a majority...and overwhelmingly it was Moral Values that won this election.
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

jaysit

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:39 am

"Actually...if you paid attention it was the most votes ever for a Pres...and the first time since Reagan to get a majority...and overwhelmingly it was Moral Values that won this election."

Well, if you paid attention, America is still hopelessly divided as the posting you cited says. The reason GWB got the most votes is because we have more people in America and more people voting. We are still split in half politically - a trend that has worsened since 1992.

flyyul

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:48 am

What is moral value?

Standing up for anti-gay, anti-abortion.

Meanwhile

-50 million dont have healthcare
-murders are being commited in Iraq
-Tax breaks are going to the rich
-Poor yet brilliant Americans cant access university due to financial issues

Wake up....

Once again and read your bible again, youll see a lot of differences with your version of "morality"

ConcordeBoy

Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:03 am

50 million dont have healthcare

...not quite sure why they would expect what 1) what they cannot afford, 2) what was never guaranteed to them

murders are being commited in Iraq

Apparently, not enough.... though methinks that's about to swiftly change (bye bye Fallujah!  Big thumbs up)

Tax breaks are going to the rich

...not to mention everyone else who actually PAYS TAXES here  Insane

Tax breaks are going to the rich

Harvard is a privilege, not a right.

Let them take advantage of the overwhelming number of states who provide free/granted State University education.

L-188

Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:25 am

In fact I belive that GW is the first president or canidate to have a majority of the population vote for him (50%) since 1988.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MaverickM11

Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:31 am

"-Poor yet brilliant Americans cant access university due to financial issues"

Yet if you're a minority (aka not a white or Asian male) you are practically guaranteed access to the university system, regardless of intelligence. Maybe you want to rethink that and give preference to "poor brilliant" people rather than base it on ethnicity or gender.

BTW, check out Britain's university system. It's much more socialized and much lower quality. Is that what you want?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:36 am

Well, out of all the posts, I've decided to state my post election thoughts and feelings here. I think it's the most fitting.

I was someone who always just read the posts in here, however I became abnormally active in the non aviation forum during this election cycle. Fundamentally I'm against this forum, I supported Johan when he deleted it for a time, but I've since learned to appreciate it. I don't like the negativity it generates, and therefore my participation will become less.

I got into many disputes with fellow members on here, and trust there's no hard feelings.

That said, I'm very disappointed in my country. I feel this country voted for less freedom, the facade of security, widespread paranoia and fear. I was hopeful my countrymen would right some wrongs, and restore the United States to its rightful, respected place in the world. I feel let down. I feel Republicans have elected someone who doesn't represent their party well, but more importantly, Americans have elected someone who doesn't represent this country well.

I take solace in the fact that I did all one person could do, my civic duty, participating in this democracy with a vote for Kerry, even in my state where he didn't stand a chance. I honestly believe Bush is leading this country downhill rapidly, with his agenda to affect us for decades. At the very least I can say that I did not, and will not support him.

Another comforting feeling is Bush now has to take the blame for his mistakes. (And yes, they are mistakes, whether he can admit them or not) He's the one you wanted to fix things; I hope I'm wrong in my assessment that he can’t do it. However, like it or not, if he cant, we're the ones that will suffer the consequences. And you won't have anyone to blame but yourselves.

In the next four years, I believe Bush is either going to have to prove himself to be the greatest president ever, or go down as the worst ever. His absolutist way of thinking has given him no other option. I don't have much faith in the former, based on what I've seen in his first term. If things keep going the way they are, I believe you'll see a landslide victory for the Democratic party in 2008.

Flame, ridicule, and dispute what I said all you want. It's how I feel and nothing is going to change that.

B

jaysit

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:00 am

"If things keep going the way they are, I believe you'll see a landslide victory for the Democratic party in 2008."

I'm not sure about that.

The Dems were defeated twice by an intellectually bankrupt dunce and his puppet masters. What hope do they have against a more formidable and more mentally astute GOP candidate?

Zip.

Plus, who IS there in the Democratic party with new ideas and the kind of personality to capture the imagination of voters?

I don't see anyone.

Hoping that voters will react in indignation to base political GOP machinations does not a winning strategy make.

mdsh00

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:02 am

Plus, who IS there in the Democratic party with new ideas and the kind of personality to capture the imagination of voters?

I don't see anyone.

The only one I can see right now is Barack Obama, but he needs to establish himself a bit more before he can run.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

NWA

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:02 am

"-Poor yet brilliant Americans cant access university due to financial issues"

You go to an American university? Please tell me about the situation from Canada. Poor people get A LOT of help from the government, A LOT. An amount that pisses me off. Maybe I should start assessing the situation in Canada. You have no clue what you're even talking about.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

ConcordeBoy

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:26 am

The only one I can see right now is Barack Obama, but he needs to establish himself a bit more before he can run.

sh'yeah, he also might wanna take skin-care lessons from Michael Jackson  Yeah sure

mdsh00

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:29 am

sh'yeah, he also might wanna take skin-care lessons from Michael Jackson

CB, you have to admit that he was great as a keynote speaker and has lots of potential.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

L-188

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:31 am

MDsh00,

The only reason why Obama ended up on that podium was to get him elected.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ConcordeBoy

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:38 am

CB, you have to admit that he was great as a keynote speaker and has lots of potential.

Sure I do... just as you likewise have to agree that there'll be icicles on Satan's drawers before Obama would ever be elected President.

jaysit

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:38 am

"The only one I can see right now is Barack Obama, but he needs to establish himself a bit more before he can run."

Well, what are his achievements other than having a silver tongue and great oratorial skills?

The Dems are waiting for a messiah, while none really exists.

Sorry, for the pessimism but reality really bites.

wn700driver

Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:59 am

Yup, have to agree with the above. The only Dem capable of winning in '08 already did in '92 & '96. If Cheney or Guiliani run in 08, it'll be '84 all over again.

As for this garabage. . .

50 million dont have healthcare
-murders are being commited in Iraq
-Poor yet brilliant Americans cant access university due to financial issues

- If they don't have health care, they should buy it, or get off their asses & get a job that provides. At least they will then be stimulating the economy instead of soaking up more entitlements

- Murders are commited everywhere, big deal. Our goal was to get rid of someone who jumped up & down screaming about how much he wanted to kill americans (not a brilliant move after 9/11). Personally, I feel that we are obligated only to insure that petrol can be exported safeley & efficiently out of there. Anything more is a waste of tax dollars.

- Good. I work hard for my money, & I like tax breaks. And so do you, don't lie.

- Poor, brilliant Americans aren't so brilliant if they can't find a way to get educated with the systems already in place. Ooops. I am not obligated to send poor, stupid Americans to school, so they can still be unemployable anyway.
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

planespotting

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:30 am

I like tax breaks when i actually get a tax break. Did i see a tax break? I made more money this past year then any other year before (around $9,000) and what was my tax return? $270. What was my tax break my first full year of working with President Clinton as the president? $330. How much did i make? $6500. Did anything change in how i report my income or how or my parents claim me? nope.

in 04 i got a 3% return on my income.

in 00 i got a 5% return on my income.

Sure sounds like a great idea to me, taking money away from kids who don't have any. lets look at someone else:

my mom. she:

owns and runs her own business. Took out a $250,000 loan to build a new building and buy new equipment. She started the business from scratch 10 years ago when i was in 6th grade, and in the past year her business has more than doubled. However that all happened after the fiscal year. So we had our tax return from 03' and business was sluggish all year. She made about as much as she did when Clinton was the president (less than $15,000 in net income). When Clinton was president, we got a $1200 tax return  Smile  Smile  Smile.

This year. we got a $450 tax return. same income. same tax bracket.

how lovely this Bush fellow is. Can't you see how well this tax cut worked for the people who really need it according to him (small business owners). wow i am just so glad Bush is in for another 4 years he is the best prezident evur and hiz wife is so nice and he goze to church on sundayz and he hatez Gayz and Lezbians and and he likez war two and he haz a dawg and i am juzt doing wut he sayz cuz i respekt him and he is awesum.

slider

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:39 am

This year. we got a $450 tax return. same income. same tax bracket.

Sounds as if you have a bad accountant.  Wink/being sarcastic

planespotting

Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:42 am

same accountant.

*filler filler*

jaysit

Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:46 am

"If they don't have health care, they should buy it, or get off their asses & get a job that provides."

Thats all fine and all, but we are not talking about people on welfare here who actually do have access to some form of healthcare. Its those who are in dead end jobs, who have been laid off, who are desperately looking for a job - and their children and families - who are the victims of unaffordable healthcare.

For one, its often very hard to buy affordable healthcare if you are a middle aged or elderly individual. Insurance companies see you as a risk and will charge you accordingly - often astronomically. If you have been laid off at 55, do not have a job and are out of your Cobra period, you're basically hosed. If you're a middle aged blue collar machinist whose been laid off, its an uphill battle looking for a job --- especially one that provides you with health insurance.

Its easy to ridicule people without healthcare as lazy slobs, but this is far from the truth. Life seems like it has endless possibilities at 30; not so when you're 50 and find yourself without a job and mouths to feed.

aa757first

Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:13 am

Analogy from an Economics professor:

Suppose that every day 10 men go to a restaurant for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to $100. If it was paid the way we pay our taxes, the first four men would pay nothing; the fifth would pay $1; the sixth would pay $3; the seventh $7; the eighth $12; the ninth $18. The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

The 10 men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement until the owner threw them a curve. Since you are all such good customers, he said, I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20. Now dinner for the 10 only costs $80. The first four are unaffected. They still eat for free. Can you figure out how to divvy up the $20 savings among the remaining six so that everyone gets his fair share?

The men realize that $20 divided by 6 is $3.33, but if they subtract that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would end up being paid to eat their meal.

The restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay. And so now the fifth man paid nothing, the sixth pitched in $2, the seventh paid $5, the eighth paid $9, the ninth paid $12, leaving the tenth man with a bill of $52 instead of $59.

Outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. "I only got a dollar out of the $20," complained the sixth man, pointing to the tenth, "and he got $7!" "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got seven times more than me!" "That's true," shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $7 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor." The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night he didn't show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They were $52 short!

And that, boys, girls and college instructors, is how America's tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table any more. There are lots of good restaurants in Switzerland and the Caribbean!

AAndrew