jcs17

Experiences With Mono

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:09 am

I was diagnosed with the ever fun mononucleosis on Tuesday after a blood test at the doctor. Since then, I've either been sleeping or feeling sicker than Yassar Arafat. I'm wondering how long it lasted for some of you. I probably got it at the worst possible time with the semester about to wind down and my professors are coving the most difficult material now. I really need to get back to class by Monday...  Sad
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

david b.

RE: Experiences With Mono

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:12 am

Take some time off a.net and rest.

Hope you feel better. There are treatments but a full recovery might take a while. Good luck to you.

Since then, I've either been sleeping or feeling sicker than Yassar Arafat.

Arafat is almost dead. Hope your not that sick.

Seal your lips and use condoms....

[Edited 2004-11-04 21:15:23]
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

gigneil

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:31 am

It lasted for 16 days for me. You can't go back to class on Monday, because you'll still be wildly contagious.

There are no mononucleosis treatments. My first doctor told me to take Advil and suck it up.

Well, my throat swelled shut, and I ended up becoming dangerously dehydrated and had to be taken to the hospital. They gave me a shot of steroids and 2 liters of iv fluids, then prescribed me a liquid codeine-based painkiller and liquid steroids to take to keep my throat in good enough shape to drink water.

It was a miserable experience. Remember not to lift anything heavy or walk around too much. Your liver is twice its normal size (I could actually feel mine in me as I walked around) and very susceptible to damage.

Also, don't take any antibiotics, even if you have them. They could kill you.

N

aa61hvy

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:36 am

Thats what happens when you mess with alot of chicks, Josh.

I can't say I feel bad for you though. It sucks the chick didn't tell you she had it, but thats the nature of the beast.

You mess with alot of chicks, odds are you're going to get something eventually.

At least you can still get handjobs
Go big or go home

VSlover

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:37 am

i gave mono to my ex-boyfriend. i am actually a carrier and can pass it off to others unknowingly at random times even though i myself never experienced the effects of mono. i ended up having to take care of him, he was out of the office for 10 days, and just couldnt bear to be out of bed for anything other than bathroom and eating.

gigneil

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:38 am

Its possible to get mono from somebody without them having it.

Your body is exposed to mono constantly, and most people carry it or have been in contact with someone who is carrying it.

Your immune system defends you, usually, but if you're tired or stressed and you come in contact with someone carrying it, you can get it pretty easily.

N

airplay

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:42 am

I'd say you're not as sick as Arafat, and not even as sick as Mrs. Edwards....

Both references just as sick and inappropriate.

avt007

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:14 am

Mono is a horrible experience. My throat had me in tears every time I swallowed. After the first week, the throat settled down, but the exhaustion was unbelievable. I`d sleep 12 hours, get up and watch 1-2 hours of TV, then go back to bed for 4 hours. Climbing a flight of stairs left me breathless, sweating and shaking. I was off work for 2 solid months, and didn`t feel back to normal for at least 6 months. Hopefully your experience won`t be as bad, but I remember it like it was yesterday, and really it was the summer of 93. As for the rest of you, if you hear someone has it, don`t go near them! This is serious stuff. I have no idea where I got it, except I`d been on a trip to Montreal and could have caught it on the flight. None of my relatives had symptoms, but who knows? And the beauty of this disease is you can catch it more than once. Pardon me while I go wash my hands and disinfect the keyboard.... Smile

WellHung

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:23 am

BOEING747-700

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:59 pm

Get better Josh, take lots of rest and just ride it out. That's the only advice I can give you. Hope your doing better.
Jordan

MD-90

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:14 pm

And Jcs17 gets out of donating blood for the rest of his life. Mono is contagious from blood, and donating if you've had mono is a no-go.

MD11Engineer

Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:32 pm

I had it back in 1994, never felt as sick as during this time.
Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein-Bahr (Spelling?) virus, an omnipresent virus. Most people get it somewhere during their childhood, when it only produces the symptoms of a strong flu. If you get it as an adult though, it can cause bad complications, it especially attacks the liver or the heart. I got accute jaundice through it and the white of my eyes turned yellow and my urine brown.
My doctor let me stay at home instead of sending me to hospital, but I had to go there (just around the corner) to get blood samples taken every day to check my liver values.
It took me about 4 weeks in bed until the fever went down and I was as weak as a chicken for another 3-4 weeks.

It can get transmitted by kissing, but it is not a typical sexually transmitted desease, it can also spread by coughing or other aerosols, it doesn´t need direct intimate contact between two people.

The only good news for you is that once you had it, you´ll be immune for life.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

avt007

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:56 pm

MD11Engineer, from what my doctor told me, and some research on the net, having had mono decreases the chances of getting it again, but isn`t a guarantee of immunity. As for donating blood, it is recommended not to give blood if you`ve had a recent case of mono, but ok afterwards.
Either way, it is no fun and no laughing matter, if you`ve ever had the misfortune to catch it.

jaysit

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:05 pm

I would say lay off giving head to strangers for awhile.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

mrniji

Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:17 pm

I was sick for more than 2 1/2 Months, while my in-law was sick for one day.. depends.. good luck and get better soon, I had a horrible time (I would never wish my worst enemies to have this desease  Big grin )
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Convair990

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:02 pm

I got struck with mono back in the summer of '93, and that was really awful. First I had problems keeping myself balanced whenever I was standing up or walking, and I couldn't keep anything in my stomach without brining it all back up, as a result I lost @ 20 lbs so I wound up being sent to the emergency room. The spinal tap told them I had mono, and a MRI showed that my cerebellum had somehow swollen up from the "kissing disease"...

Well, to make a long story short I spent a week in ICU only being able to be fed by the "tubes", and after my release wound up being stuck in my house for two months.....
The University of Georgia Bulldogs are girlie men!!

aa61hvy

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:04 pm

"Climbing a flight of stairs left me breathless, sweating and shaking"

That already happens to Josh, even without mono.
Go big or go home

CaptOveur

Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:51 pm

I still prefer stereo, I don't have a lot of experiences with mono, except in some older recordings and the stereo in a truck I used to ride around in on one of my summer jobs.

My suggestion is get another speaker.

Big thumbs up
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

jcs17

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:51 am

Well, I went to the doctor this morning and he said that it looked like I had a relatively mild case since I have had no fever, headache, or sore throat. Really, there are times where I feel okay (like right now), really tired, or just plain sick. My biggest complaint is muscle pain and weakness. The doctor said that he expects that I should be over it relatively quickly, within the next week to two weeks. He also told me to lay off the contact sports (there goes my intermural hockey scoring streak), and alcohol (damn!) for the next month or so. Looks like I got lucky though--in more ways than one, which is why I'm in this predicament  Big grin

aa61hvy

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:53 am

You and your 'streaks,' Josh, first the hooking up streak then the hockey scoring streak. I think the only streaks you have are streaks on your underwear..

[Edited 2004-11-05 16:54:54]
Go big or go home

jcs17

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:01 am

Damn. It just hit me. A girl who I "dated" for about a month, it ended in early-Oct., told me that she once had mono two years ago. F'ing bitch!

airplay

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:06 am

Well...the STD you gave her should make you even....

DLKAPA

Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:17 pm

Ever played Sweedish Rodeo?
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

777236ER

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:11 am

So L.1011 finds it OK to steal, and Jcs finds it OK to kiss people (at least they're girls) out of wedlock.

Whatever happened to Conservative Values?
Your bone's got a little machine

jcs17

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:05 am

Jcs finds it OK to kiss people (at least they're girls) out of wedlock.

Huh? Dude, you live a warped world. At least we know (like we didn't know already  Yeah sure ) how completely wacky and uninformed your views and opinions are. Not kissing girls out of wedlock is all of a sudden a conservative value? Hey, Mohammed get your head out of the Qu'ran and realize that I'm an American Republican, not a Wahabbi living in Saudi Arabia.

777236ER

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:08 am

Not kissing girls out of wedlock is all of a sudden a conservative value? Hey, Mohammed get your head out of the Qu'ran and realize that I'm an American Republican, not a Wahabbi living in Saudi Arabia.

It's also a Conservative Value to insult people of other religions?

Listen knob, you got an STI from being promiscuous. Isn't that one of the main reasons (most) Conservatives advocate abstinence?

jaysit

Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:11 am

A girl who I "dated" for about a month,

The girl he got from 1-800-rent-a-who..

it ended in early-Oct.,

His dad got the credit card bill in early Oct. and cut him off...

jcs17

Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:01 am

Listen knob, you got an STI from being promiscuous.

Just keep digging yourself a bigger hole, knob. If you had any kind of knowledge what-so-ever, you would know that mono is not transmitted sexually. It's transmitted through salaiva. I could've gotten it from drinking from sharing a drink with someone, someone sneezing on me, etc. It's not considered an STI.

Why don't you go back to your miserable "I think I know what I'm talking about, but really don't" life?

His dad got the credit card bill in early Oct. and cut him off...

Yup, I got cut off like you did when your parents found out you were a Sodomite.

[Edited 2004-11-08 22:05:02]

777236ER

Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:14 am

Just keep digging yourself a bigger hole, knob. If you had any kind of knowledge what-so-ever, you would know that mono is not transmitted sexually. It's transmitted through salaiva. I could've gotten it from drinking from sharing a drink with someone, someone sneezing on me, etc. It's not considered an STI.

So HIV is not a sexually transmitted disease because you can get it from blood transfusions? Try again, sport. Mono is a sexually transmitted disease in that it's usually transmitted via sexual means - kissing. In fact, you implied in your oh-so-manly manner, that you did get it through kissing, hence it's an STI, no?

Why don't you go back to your miserable "I think I know what I'm talking about, but really don't" life?

I don't have an STI.

jaysit

Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:15 am

"Yup, I got cut off like you did when your parents found out you were a Sodomite."

Awful, wasn't it, when they found us together?

Amazing how you managed to reason with my Grandma even while you were on all fours !! She often asks about you --- "Hows that boy toy of yours" is how Grandma phrases it.

She'll be real sad you have mono.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:24 am

Your spleen is very swollen and is very fragile. Avoid situations where you could receive a blow to the upper left abdomen. Your spleen could rupture and you could lose a life-threatening amount of blood internally. When riding in a car, make sure your seat belt is positioned across your lower abdomen.

Mark, R.N.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

CaptOveur

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:39 am

Last I checked kissing out of wedlock was ok in all but the absolute most conservative outlook on things.. humping is another matter, I am betting JCS17 did both so at least attack the right issue.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that we can safely assume most if not all of our parents (who were married when we were born) probably kissed at some point before they got married.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

777236ER

Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:40 am

God willing, my parents never had sex.

aa61hvy

Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:34 am

I guess kissing is against the bible's teachings. Give me a break 77723. Kissing is kissing. Even the most devout Christian doesn't have an argument against that. Nice try though.
Go big or go home

777236ER

Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:42 am

Just pointing out (yet another) hypocracy in so-called 'Conservative Values'.

jaysit

Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:54 am

Those red states incidentally have the highest incidence of divorce and children born out of wedlock.

As far as mono goes, you'll have to ask the originator of this thread.

Schoenorama

Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:58 am

Slightly off-topic but interesting nevertheless:

"Teens say oral sex isn't real sex

According to the survey, 61 percent of those who had taken abstinence pledges had broken them within a year. Of the 39 percent who said they had not broken their pledges, more than half disclosed they’d engaged in oral sex."

I can't provide an URL as the site I found this has some images not appropiate for the many minors on this board.

[Edited to include the study below, equally interesting]

"U.S. adolescents who pledge not to have sex until they are married have about the same rate of sexually transmitted diseases as other teenagers and they often fail to keep their pledge, according to a study released on Tuesday.

The study of a nationally representative sample of about 15,000 youths aged 12 to 18 found that 88 percent of teenagers who pledged to remain virgins until they are married ended up having sex before marriage.

The study, funded largely by the National Institutes of Health, found that these teenagers were also less likely to use condoms when they did have sex because they had not paid attention to sex education.
"

http://www.unknownnews.net/040312no.html

Yes, Conservative Values are not only great, they also clearly work!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

[Edited 2004-11-09 01:04:00]
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!

jaysit

Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:04 am

Well, that elusive hope of the Democratic party also touts the same line as teens. Remember his line "I did not have sex with that woman?"

If face fuckin didn't count as sex for the slimy ex-President of the US, why should it count as sex for a bunch of clueless kids?

StarAC17

Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:26 am

guess kissing is against the bible's teachings. Give me a break 77723. Kissing is kissing. Even the most devout Christian doesn't have an argument against that. Nice try though.b>

Actually I was at a Christian conference a couple of years ago and one of the people speaking said that making out was too close to sex and said it was a sin. This is one of the extremist beliefs that turned me off Christianity.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

ordflyer

Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:31 pm

I've had a few friends who got mono while in college....a pain but certainly could be worse. Explain the situation to your professors, they should be understanding and will probably be able to give you a copy of their lecture notes or whatever to keep you up to date. If you have any trouble with them try going to the head of the department. Where I went to school it was required that professors accomodate students who were sick for extended periods (with a valid doctors note) by not giving tests until there has been enough time to catch up and study.
A side note, be sure to follow that advice about no alcohol! A friend in my dorm freshman year got mono right at the beginning of second semester. It seemed to last on and on for months...turns out she completely ignored the doctor's orders of no alcohol, so when she was feeling a little better she would go out and drink and then end up right back feeling terrible and would repeat the process. Not a pretty sight!