Derico
Topic Author

And The Moral Of The Story IS...

Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:01 am

That you can't diss and convince.

I am almost certain that the constant Bush bashing coming from Europe and other parts of the world, along with what Americans perceived to be selective foreign medling in the US election process, contributed to the victory by the president. I honestly believe that when the time came to decide, many people had flashbacks of nearly four years of international scorn for Bush, which many took as an affront on the United States proper (a natural reaction BTW), and decided that it would not stand. In essence, Europe contributed to the Bush re-election!

This is one of the oldest rules in the Book of Common Sense, and it has never failed: When outsiders inject themselves into a national debate and take sides (no matter which nation or culture), they invariably end up helping those whom they have sided against. Europe has learned this lesson when it comes to internal US affairs: Europe's support for a particular cause or belief became the Kiss of Death for that cause or belief.

Now, it remains to be seen if the United States learns this exact same lesson when it comes to other parts of the world... (for lesson see sentence in bold letters, and replace 'Europe' with 'United States')  Yawn

My 2cts on the US election.

My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

usatoeze

RE: And The Moral Of The Story IS...

Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:59 am

Your argument might have some truth to it if Americans actually knew about or cared about what Europeans thought. For older Americans in their 50s and 60s they had to listen to all of the Europeans mock Reagan in the 80s so they naturally expect Europeans to have this attitude....for others it just doesnt matter. The states where it would matter(NY, NJ, CA, WA, MA, MD, DC, CT, NH) all went for Kerry....the states who voted for Bush the heaviest just dont care. I think its a weak argument.

You could say that Hollywood always helps fuel votes against them, and that the obvious media bias influenced votes....but no matter what theory is put out there.....the only one that will ever hold water is that a lot of people like Bush as a person and an awful lot of people didnt like Kerry(Especially in the middle of the country).
War is a very poor political tool