People Leaving The U.S

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:10 am

I do not understand why some people are moving out of the country because Bush got re-elected. To leave a great country for such a reason is absolutely ridiculous. Even though I am very conservative, I would not have left the country if Kerry would have won. I simply do not understand it. Could somebody help me understand this. Us in America should be more united as Americans, and not divided as Republicans and Democrats.

5NEOO

RE: People Leaving The U.S

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:16 am

For the LOVE of GOD!

Could some of you guys tone down the number of election related threads being posted?
Admit it, you could care less about the continent Africa!

N771AN

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:17 am

The "tolerant" democrats can't possibly live with republicans.

lowrider

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:34 am

If people want to leave, that is fine. If they find Bush so adhorant that they cannot stand living in the US with him as president, I would rather they leave and be happy than stay and complain. I have said before that denying the government your tax dollars is a good way to protest. If enough people do it, they will pay attention.
Proud OOTSK member

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:38 am

Lowrider, I am not saying that they should not move, but rather asking why.

lowrider

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:42 am

The why is probably as varied as the people who actually leave, but my guess would be they think that we will miss them, see the error of our ways, and fall all over ourselves trying to get them back. I would like to hear how many actually leave.
Proud OOTSK member

prosa

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:42 am

Something tells me that the number of people who actually leave will be very small.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:56 am

PROSA, you are probably correct, but that people would just say that and mean it, even as just an apparent threat does not make sense.

avt007

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:01 am

Is this just urban myth, or are there people, known for a fact to be leaving because of Bush? It seems suspicious to me. At any rate, in a country of 300 million people, why worry about who's coming , or going, or why?

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:27 am

Well, if you truly are serious about wanting to understand why, I'd love to tell you, even tho it's probably going to open me up to getting ripped on. I can tell you my thoughts on this because I'm actually considering it myself.

I know I won't be living where I am now for the next for years. My short list is Los Angeles, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Denver (Just so I can negate JeffM's vote  Big grin) and Vancouver. I told myself that if Bush got re-elected I would give a serious look to Vancouver.

To be honest, this would not be my only reason, but it is a factor. The first reason is I simply do not feel safe here anymore. I think all this "homeland security" stuff is a cock of shit. I work for an airline, so I see this up close daily. The TSA is a joke. If you've already talked yourself into dying for your cause, getting a weapon on an aircraft is nothing. Our borders are like swiss cheese. Cargo shipments via air and sea are hardly checked. Bottomline, I believe Bush has traded our freedom for the illusion of security. We're going to get attacked again, it's too easy. I feel his policies in the middle east have given our enemies more motivation to attack us and has made the world more unstable and dangerous. The scary thing is there's people that would still support Bush once it happens.

Which is a segway into another reason: The erosion of our liberties and privacy. I'm almost sick of the phrase "since 9-11". My passion of aviation photography has been replaced within fear of getting caught. And for what? Doing something perfectly legal? It used to be that if you disagreed with the establishment, you were a patriot. Now you're the enemy. Now if you don't agree with a war, you don't support our troops. There's a lot more things I see that are too elaborate to get into on here, but I'm slowly watching day turn into night, and I don't like it.

The largest reason for me to consider moving to Canada: Ever since election day, I feel like I've lost my country. Yea, I know, boo fucking hoo, but that's the best way I can describe it. Things are no logical here. I mean, Bush has a low approval rating, most people thought Iraq was a mistake, most people don't like the direction we're headed, yet the message was sent: Yes George, we approve of what you're doing. I really had faith and a belief that the people of this country knew right from wrong. My confidence and pride in the US is shattered now.

Finally, I don't believe things will change. You can hear it already in things like "we have a mandate" (meaning the American people approve of our actions) and "I want to reach out to the people who share our goals", a disguised attempt to mend some fences with the Dems. If you read between the lines, it's bull shit. We don't share your goals. "Let's be united again" really means "sit down and shut up". "Join me in my effort to better America" means "conform to what I want". I see things progressively getting worse for people with a dissenting point of view. I for one, will never sign a "loyalty oath"

So those are my reasons, and no it's not because I'm just bummed out right now. This is a feeling that's not going away anytime soon. I feel we just gave Bush cart blanche to do what he wants, we just approved the destruction of America. I believe these people, like me, don't like what Bush and his administration are turning this great country into. And save your "whining liberal" shit. I'm neither whining, or liberal. I'm genuinely concerned about the future of my country.

A final thought: When was the last time a President had such a negative effect on some of the citizens of this country that they would consider leaving the country. That alone should tell you something.

B

ConcordeBoy

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:34 am

1) there's going to be a nigh-negligible number of people who would undergo the expense/inconvenience of moving solely for the reason of avoiding a GWB-led USA.

2) I'd more than happily help them pack
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

dan2002

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:12 pm

I'd more than happily help them pack

Could you be at my house around noon next Saturday?

-Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Matt D

Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:17 pm

Don't let the door hitcha where the Lord splitcha.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:02 pm

I'd more than happily help them pack

Don't let the door hitcha where the Lord splitcha

Proving my point perfectly, thanks!

B

flyguy1

Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:27 pm

Bush is an ignorant redneck, but to leave the country due to him, is crazy.
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

Ralgha

Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:24 pm

Interesting that nobody disputed the points that NonRevKing made.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

n229nw

Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:07 pm

NonRevKing,

That's a really intelligent post that expresses much of what I'm feeling (and you've hit the nail on the head about this "let's all come together now" thing the right is spouting). At least for now, I can't leave, for practical reasons. I guess there's a part of me that wants to stay and keep working to change things here too...to keep more votes against this government around for 2006 and 2008, etc.

Only one thing in your post:
I'm neither whining, nor liberal.
Don't let them turn liberal into a dirty word. I'm liberal and proud, and from everything you say, sounds as if you are too (belief in the importance of civil liberties, and so on). For God's sake, liberal is barely left of center historically--liberalism has a long tradition in European and American thought, and I hate to see that ever since Dukakis didn't stand up when the republicans called him liberal, it's become some kind of insult implying far-left demagoguery.

Anyway, I bet you'll love Canada, but come back in time to vote in the next one!!
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

mark777300

Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:15 pm

If I had the money, and I could just pick up and go, I would do it right now! Canada sounds real nice right now! But then I came to realize that what Bush does here can affect the entire world. NO, Nobody is safe from his grip. It's so sad to say this considering that the US is such a great place to live, but when the rest of the world hates you or wants you dead mostly at the reason that they see us all as supporting the elected president, it almost becomes a liability. So good night to all those Bush Supporters, make sure to cover yourself up with Bush's security blanket. NO, NO, the terrorist won't get you, Bush will protect you, just like he did on 9/11.

greatansett

Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:52 pm

(IMO)Has it ever occurred to you that America is not such a great country......(And Bush will make it worse). Sorry I just finished watching Bowling for Columbine.
Ron Paul 2012

airbus3801

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:20 pm

One of my friend's friends just moved to London because of the wonderful way the Bush goversnt he country. The fact that they are leaving the country is perfectly expected because anyone who is a Democrat is quite upset at this time.

TYSGoVols

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:23 pm

If they are that close minded send em' to Europe where they belong.

<>< Garen
Rocky Top You'll Always be home sweet home to me, Good ole' Rocky Top WOOOOO

Q330

Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:37 pm

Could it possibly be because of what the country might become under another Bush presidency? With control of the House and Senate, Bush and the republicans will be able to push their radical right-wing agenda more effectively? Goodbye to moderation...

Could it possibly be due to Bush's reckless foreign policy stirring up incredible amounts of anti-American sentiment in the world? You may say that you don't care what other people think about the U.S., but it does matter when that person is angry enough to want to blow you up. That anyone voted for Bush because they felt he'd protect them from terrorism is absolutely ridiculous. He is the problem, not the solution. (Incidentally, can anyone explain the reasoning behind thinking that Bush will protect us from terrorism, when 9/11 happened on his watch?)

To directly answer your question, many people do not feel like America is their country any more since Bush's agenda goes against almost everything they believe in and they feel like he is ripping the country apart with his radical agenda.

-Q

p.s. Good post, NonRevKing.
Long live the A330!

yyz717

Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:06 pm

Americans blend right in here in Canada. Come on up...........
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

solarix

Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:20 pm

Anyone who moves out of the US just because Bush got re-elected has way too much time on their hands.

Lame  Insane
Bong Hits 4 Jesus

B747-437B

Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:06 pm

Oh good grief. The only thing more pathetic than the extremist right wingers advocating setting civil liberties back a few decades are the reactionaries who claim to want to skip town because of it.

Seriously folks, if you truly care so much about your country then it is your duty to stay put and raise hell about all you consider dear. Running away is the act of a coward. Speak up loudly and maybe people will listen to your message the next time elections roll around.

Democracy is about majority rule. That means that sometimes you are in the minority and on the losing side. A strong opposition is the key to democracy. If the opposition spends it time running away to Vancouver, nothing's gonna change.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

L-188

Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:22 pm

And for those of you who think that you need to move to Canada a website has been set up

Apparently Canadians are willing to marry you to get you out of the US.

http://www.marryanamerican.ca/
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

CaptOveur

Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:58 pm

If all the Dumbacrats pack up and flee to Europe and Canada who is going to vote for whatever the Donkey party runs in 2008?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:09 pm

Dan2002, you already live in Canada.

Qb001

Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:18 pm

Since last Wednesday, the Canadian Government reports that its immigration websites have experienced a 700% increase in traffic (from 20,000 to 140,000 visits a day). 67% of visitors were from the USA. Canadian consulates across the USA are also flooded with information requests about moving to Canada.

Canada could pretty much welcome a million of sophisticated, progressist, informed, well educated, well off and dynamic Americans. Who in his/her right mind who say no to that ?

I'm actually seriously considering setting up a website specifically to provide additional information to those Americans.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

N670UW

Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:24 am

I'm not living the country, but I can see why some would consider it. If one feels his or her country is being so incredibly misled and puts everything they have to try to change it for the better, and only to see all their wishes come crashing down at once because of two states, it's quite the disappointment.

And when that person thinks ahead to the next four years, they get a feeling of dread and uncertainty. There won't be any change. The last four years weren't good, so why would the next four be any better?

N670UW

Aaron747

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:55 am

I'll be leaving the country in a couple years as well. Of course it will have nothing to do with any pithy political motivations - just pure self-indulgence.

Cathay Pacific...here I come!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

N771AN

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:56 am

If anyone wants to leave the country... please email me. I will gladly donate some frequent flyer miles to get your ass out of here.

sw733

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:59 am

I voted for Kerry, and Bush really scares me at times, but I wouldn't leave the US. A few of my friends want to, and I just see that as super immature. Get over it, Bush won fair and square. Hopefully nothing will get too screwed up over the next 4 years, but who is to say they wouldnt if my boy John John had won either? I'm giving Bush a second chance, as I think he did horribly in his first term, so we shall see.

cwapilot

Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:09 am

"Bush is an ignorant redneck, but to leave the country due to him, is crazy."

This sort of comment boggles my mind. OK....2 issues.

1. Let's say you are right...he is barely a step above an ape, his knuckles drag the ground, he can't read or write, he is a complete idiot. Well, then, what does that make you people?! He kicked your ass...TWICE...and the first time, he beat you at your own game! If you can't beat the biggest moron to ever grace the halls of government, what is going to happen when you have to run against someone like Rudy Giuliani?

2. You can't have it both ways. Either he is an idiot or not. So, if he's an idiot, stop treating him like the most evil genius the world has ever seen. If he is responsible for even 1/4 of all of the brilliant, evil plots and conspiracies you credit him for, he has to be the most brilliant leader we have ever had. Not even Nixon could have pulled off all of this stuff.

Finally, this people moving to Canada thing is a bunch of sore losers blowing off steam, pure and simple. Rather than contribute so solutions, they'd rather throw tantrums and cut and run. I say, good riddance. On the bright side, if some of these people do follow through, and take their idiot children with them, we will see test scores in schools steadily increase. Also, if any of this held water, we would have been rid of the likes of Julia Roberts and Alec Baldwin the last go around. And I cannot think of a better gift to the country that wants to raise a monument to deserters and draft dodgers than those two gems...but, then again, Canada is not good enough for them; I believe Julia was looking at Paris...
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

Turtle

Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:45 am

Cwapilot,
I couldn't agree more. Good riddance to those spineless pansies wah, wah - ing over the election and threatening to run away rather than accept the results and make an effort do something for their cause.

N670UW

Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:48 am

And they wonder why this country is so divided...  Insane

N670UW

ordflyer

Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:50 am

A lot of people have been joking about it, but when it comes down to it nobody in their right mind would quit their job, and drag their family out of the country because if this.....well except maybe Michael Moore  Yeah sure

cwapilot

Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:00 am

N670UW...you like to toss that self righteous little comment around...are you suggesting that the fools who go on about moving to a different country because of the results of a free election are doing more to promote unity within the country? They may be...there was a piece on the local news, where they interviewed 8 people...4 Bush and 4 Kerry...and each person agreed that these wastes of space should not let the door hit them in the ass on the way out. A Kerry woman even said something to the effect that some people need to get a grip and learn how to take the lumps...in politics, sometimes you lose.

On a side note....I apologize, Ireland...you may be getting Robert Redford.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

N670UW

Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:23 am

No, I'm not saying those who skip to Canada promote unity. I'm saying that you've got conservatives calling for unity, yet they like to throw out insults to the left. If someone wants to leave, let them leave. Why do you care? Those on the left are doing the same. No progress is being made here.

N670UW

airplay

Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:37 am

American history is full of people who performed deliberate actions in response to their disenchantment with the government. I think moving to another country serves two purposes. It makes a political statement, and offers to give the person a better life in a country that is more in line with the person's morals and beliefs.

I think this is a much better way to deal with dissappointment with the government than say.....blowing up federal buildings, sending letter bombs or forming secret armed militias.

I say, if you don't like it, move. And welcome to Canada.

[Edited 2004-11-06 20:39:10]

peterpuck

Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:26 am

and welcome to the real "land of the free".

StarAC17

Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:47 am

Even if Americans leave they can still retain there citizenship and vote in 2008 so the democrats can win both ways, not live under Bush and be able to vote democrat in 2008. So you're all welcome up here but it gets mighty cold in the winter.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

FDXmech

Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:15 pm

>>>Canada could pretty much welcome a million of sophisticated, progressist, informed, well educated, well off and dynamic Americans.<<<

I could see your point QB, but seems to me that ain't the bunch headin' north on the pike.

Also, I hope the Canadian national healthplan is well funded for an epidemic of Americans suffering the symptoms of self induced paranoia and classic self gloss delusional syndrome. These symptoms normally occur when undue attention is paid to the subject in question. They normally clear up when people turn their head the other way.

A new radical "tough love" treatment is now being tried, though. Very controversial and potentially dangerous.

The patient in question registers in A.net then threatens to leave shortly after. The throng of abuse (tough love) from his fellow A.netter's can sometimes break the tantrum. If not, at least some fun was had in breaking his b*ll's.

[Edited 2004-11-07 06:36:55]
You're only as good as your last departure.