TechRep

Shame License Plates

Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:11 am

Here in Ohio they have these "Shame Plates" for drunk drivers. Yesterday, I saw one for the first time, they are yellow/orange and indicate the driver has at least 2 DUI offenses.

Any other states/countries do something similiar?

TechRep

USAFHummer

RE: Shame License Plates

Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:13 am

Wow...I've never heard of that before, but that is a brilliant idea...I love it...though really, 2 DUI offenses and they should get their license yanked...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

S12PPL

Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:17 am

I wish they would do that in Oregon! But I agree, they're still on the road after two DUI's???
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Soku39

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:54 am

I see those all the time here, my one asshole of a drunk boss has one on his car. We've taken to calling them "party plates".
The Ohio Player

ltbewr

Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:56 am

Here in New Jersey, we don't believe in special 'shame' plates for DUI. Instead you lose your licence totally for 6 months to 1 year for a 1st offence, 2 years for a 2nd offence within 10 years of a 1st and 10 years for the 3rd + manditory screening/counsuling, confinement for a few days to months for the 3rd and hefty fines totaling $3000 + dollars for a 1st offence. New Jersey also has no exemptions, or conditional 'to/from work or employment' licences. Your grounded - period. Your conviction in court will probably be posted in the local newspaper. One other quirk in New Jersey, if ever convicted of a DUI, you can never/lifetime ever get any 'vanity' or specialty plates/tags.

StevenUhl777

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:01 am

Not sure if it's still in place, but in Clackamas County, Oregon (in the Portland metro. area) they had a "victim's panel" where someone who was convicted could choose this as a punishment, and would have to face families of those who were injured/killed by a drunk driver. I went to one a long time ago...wow, pretty sad. To me, that's a lot more effective than having it on a license plate.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

Tom in NO

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:07 am

I wonder who would bear the shame if, God forbid, one of these drivers with a shame plate is involved in a fatal or injury vehicular accident.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

BR715-A1-30

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:33 am

Puhdiddle

pilot kaz

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:44 am

Put it on the back of your car and tada!! UK car :P
-

Alias1024

Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:45 am

From what I have read, the new plate is yellow with red numbers. This happens to be the same color scheme as most license plates in New Mexico. Although I have not seen the Ohio DUI plate, it sounds like New Mexico drivers could have their plate confused with the DUI plate. Driving through Ohio with a New Mexico plate could become uncomfortable. Why didn't Ohio pick colors that don't resemble another state's plate?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

dmeeky243

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:24 am

From the picture provided above, its more of a yellow-orange. New Mexico is BRIGHT yellow.

http://www.state.nm.us/tax/pubs/specplat.htm

Plus with the graphics, one the New Mexico plate, I'm not sure it'd be easily confused, but you never know.
"I have a favorite dish, which tends to change daily depending on my mood, or whether I have a hangover, or whether it's

petertenthije

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:30 am

What happens if one person in the family DUIs? Are the other family members allowed to attach the normal plates when they use the car? Otherwise they'd be punished for a crime they did not commit.
Attamottamotta!

LY744

Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:45 am

Wow. The idea of "shame plates" is about as moronic as the sex offender registry. And to think we (the taxpayers) actually have to pay people to come up with stuff like that.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

eclipseflight7

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:10 am

From the picture provided above, its more of a yellow-orange. New Mexico is BRIGHT yellow.

http://www.state.nm.us/tax/pubs/specplat.htm

Plus with the graphics, one the New Mexico plate, I'm not sure it'd be easily confused, but you never know.

No, thats just the old plate that depicts the colors of the Zia flag, which is also the state flag too.
Holy sh*ts and burritos.

dmeeky243

Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:12 am

What? I'm comparing it to the Ohio picture provided.
"I have a favorite dish, which tends to change daily depending on my mood, or whether I have a hangover, or whether it's

Alias1024

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:36 am

I didn't see the link for the Ohio plate. I'll admit, the two look different enough that most people shouldn't confuse them. As for the graphics, usually the green on the NM plate is covered pretty well by license plate holders, so you might not see it.

EclipseFlight7: The Zia plate is the old plate, but they are still giving them out. You get the choice of either the zia plate or the balloon plate. When I got my new car last summer, I chose the zia for my car because I've never liked the balloon plate.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

DC10GUY

Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:50 am

I kind of feel for them really ... If you have to live in Ohio it must be hard to NOT drink heavily ...
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

CaptOveur

Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:35 am

"If you have to live in Ohio it must be hard to NOT drink heavily"

Makes me wonder if DC10girl has ever been to Ohio. Aside from Cleveland, which is know as the Mistake on the Lake for a reason, most of the state isn't all that bad. But I will agree that drinking does make snow days from school that much more entertaining.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

JetService

Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:47 am

I'm surprised the ACLU wouldn't be all over this. I bet those plates get tailed by the police for miles late at night just waiting for them to make a small enough mistake to get pulled over.
"Shaddap you!"

IFLYMCO

Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:55 pm

As far as I know there are only 3 states that have "Shame plates":

Georgia: Looks like regular design but different numbering series.

Minnesota: White plate with blue letters and a different numbering series

Ohio: Obvious color changes (yellow/red)
Now it should be "IFLYDCA"

ProSimTec

Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:47 pm

Sounds a bit like the Scarlet Letter....Now what can we do about those nasty repeat felons and drug dealers???