airlinelover

Girl Unable To Feel Pain!

Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:13 pm

From http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6379795/?GT1=5740 :

Ashlyn is among a tiny number of people in the world known to have congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis, or CIPA — a rare genetic disorder that makes her unable to feel pain.

“Some people would say that’s a good thing. But no, it’s not,” says Tara Blocker, Ashlyn’s mother. “Pain’s there for a reason. It lets your body know something’s wrong and it needs to be fixed. I’d give anything for her to feel pain.”

I know I've wished I didn't feel pain at one time or another, but this is incomprehensible!

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

levent

RE: Girl Unable To Feel Pain!

Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:33 pm

It´s not only not normal, but also very dangerous. She doesn´t feel if she gets burnt, hit or stuck somewhere, but would have to live with the consequences hereof.

DeltaGuy

Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:41 am

Well if that condition existed in a hot 20 yr old girl, I could think of some things to do that would otherwise induce alot of pain  Laugh out loud *joking*

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

beefer

Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:01 pm

I know that there is a 3-4 year old girl in Minnesota right now who has the same condition as the girl in the story above. KARE Channel 11 in Minneapolis has been running stories off and on about her over the past few months.

The Minnesota girl has had similar expereinces to the Georgia girl except that the Minnesota girl is now blind in one eye because she had been scratching her eyeball. Remember, she can't feel pain, so she didn't know that she wasn't supposed to be doing that. She now has to wear swim goggles at all times to keep her fingers away from her eyes so she doesn't scratch the other one up also. The other thing I remember from the stories was that she was constantly banging her head into things (walls, doors, windows) in a very hard way. I mean she would be walking through a doorway and she would just smack her head on the frame of the door. I also remember that she has broken many bones already in her young life. Scary condition.....

Imonti

Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:57 pm

if she cant feel pain then surely she cant feel a lot of other things or is it just that part of the nerve that doesnt work.

redngold

Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:24 am

These people are in great danger of losing digits and becoming horribly scarred and disfigured - just like people who have Hansen's Disease (leprosy), which attacks the nerves that sense pain.

redngold
Up, up and away!

dl021

Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:51 am

You know, I was going to make a joke about the capacity of the human female to withstand incredible physical hardship is not surprising. After all, they do bleed for days on end and don't die...but my wife read over my shoulder and smacked me.

Number one..it was a tasteless joke for which I apologize, and number two...she made me read the article. She had heard of this from a friend.

This is a terrible thing to have as its implications and potential for physical disaster are awful. I have great empathy for this girl and her parents, and I hope that they are able to prevent harm from coming to this girl from her inability to know when she is in pain. She will be in danger that the rest of us will never understand for the rest of her life.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Catatonic

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:03 am

Sigh.... she will never know the joys of having a boil on her ass!
Equally Cursed and Blessed.

airlinelover

Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:06 pm

At least childbirth wouldn't be so bad.. no shot either..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

aloges

Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:16 pm

Interesting case, it's astounding how such a perfectly working messy thing as the human body can always be messed up way more by some disease, genetical defect or other anomaly.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.