L-188
Topic Author

Powell Quits.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:43 pm

Hey guys,

CNN has it up as a breaking news banner.

Colin Powell has officially dropped his resignation into GW's in basket.

http://www.cnn.com
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

gkirk

RE: Powell Quits.

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:46 pm

Hmmm....quite surprising. Wasnt expecting this
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:48 pm

This was on the cards though, wasn't it ? I'm surprised Colin Powell has stuck around this long, after being made to look a complete nana over the whole WMD Powerpoint presentation. It's a shame, because he has been IMHO a worthy and respected Secretary of State in spite of everything.

And of course, the question remains - who takes over ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

CaptOveur

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:49 pm

How long until this goes off topic?

I will just sit back and wait on BN747 and Falcon84 to check the thread.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

greaser

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:50 pm

Rumored that Condoleeza or John Danforth should take over, but not sure whether she (Rice) wants the job.

No idea on whether SecDef Rumsfeld staying or going.
You had a good run Mr.Secretary, especially as a General in Desert Storm
Now you're really flying

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:51 pm

Who is John Danforth ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

OYRJA

Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:52 pm

How long until this goes off topic?

I will just sit back and wait on BN747 and Falcon84 to check the thread.

Well with this comment you just went off topic your self smartass  Big grin

But to be honest I was sure this would happen since there has been discussions about it before.
I really admired Powell. He was a very good man. And like JGPH1A said it really was a shame that he was the one who had to sit in the security council and providing that "evidence" at that time.

And I wish him all the best in the future. He really deserves it.

Twistedwhisper

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:03 am

Off topic:
Captoveur,
I like the rock you just threw... too bad you were still in the glass house...
Almost in the same class as the media whore statement...  Big thumbs up

On topic
Sad to hear about Mr Powells resignation, as far as I'm concerned, he is the better part of the administration....
Anybody have any thoughts about the reason for his resignation...?
I do, but I'll keep them to my self...for now...
Read between the lines.

CaptOveur

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:03 am

"Well with this comment you just went off topic your self smartass"

Shouldn't you be shining the girly shoes or something?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

gkirk

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:05 am

And OYRJA just got flattended by that right hook from the Captain  Big thumbs up

greaser

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:07 am

John Danforth is the US amabassdor to the UN, JGPH1A...
Now you're really flying

airplay

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:08 am

Totally expected. Surprised he hung in this long. Perhaps now he can gain back some respect that he lost by being associated with Bush.

OYRJA

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:09 am

Shouldn't you be shining the girly shoes or something?

Lmao!!!  Big thumbs up

Nah.... Gkirk has taken over the business now. Big grin

Falcon84

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:24 am

Well, there goes one of the few voices of reason in an administration full of extremists.

Also hearing at least 3 other Secretaries are stepping down. His whole cabinet seems to be leaving.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dl021

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:32 am

It is relatively normal for the cabinet to have turnover, and all the exits so far have been anticipated. These have been 4 difficult years for these people and we should thank Sec Powell for his service. I personally hope he can go make some money now so he can retire comfortably. He has been in government service his entire life, and you don't make the big bucks that way.

I think its safe to expect another book in the next couple of years, and his presence on the speaking circuit.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

N6376M

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:36 am

Bush should think outside the box and nominate Bill Clinton. With everything that's going on in the Middle East right now Clinton could play a huge role. It's well known that he wanted his legacy to include a lasting peace in the Middle East and this would give him a huge opportunity. Furthermore, he's been rumored to have said he wants the UN job, so forging a peace accord would go a long way towards getting him the job.

The move would be another indication of bi-partisanship by the White House.

I think it would be well accepted by the Europeans and developing nations as a conciliatory move.

JGPH1A

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:38 am

Bill Clinton would be great, but talk about Fantasy Cabinet Building ! Won't EVERRRR happen, I feel I can safely predict.

Falcon84

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:40 am

Bush should think outside the box and nominate Bill Clinton.

N6376m, I honestly think President Bush should ask Bill Clinton to become his Special Envoy to the Middle East, in the wake of the death of Arafat. I think Clinton's force of personality, and his relative popularity there would bolster US chances to get moving on the "peace process".
Work Right, Fly Hard

N6376M

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:42 am

Listen, I'm as partisan as it comes, but the writing's on the wall. The old way of doing things isn't working and something new has to be tried.

As SecState Clinton would have to carryout administration policy but it would give him a seat at the table where policy was drafted. I think it's a win/win, W keeps Clinton on a short leash; Clinton get the exposure and opportunity he wants.

Sure Karl Rove will go apeshit but can you think of how it would neutralize administration critics. Furthermore, I think that it would help solidify the moderates within the party by showing that the administration is willing to work with the other side.

aa61hvy

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:42 am

I agree, I think that would be a good move on Bush's part. Clinton was very popular.
Go big or go home

JGPH1A

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:43 am

I'm not arguing that it wouldn't be a smart move, sure. But this administration is a bit short of consensus-building initiatives thus far, and don't show the kind of humility and lateral thinking that the step you suggest would require.

gkirk

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:45 am

Could Bush and CLinton get on with each other though? Would definitly be a popular appointment

Falcon84

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:45 am

Well, names being floated, according to CNN, are Rice and Wolfwitz, both of which I think would be a disaster for US prestige around the world, when our prestige is already dog's meat.

How about someone like Dick Lugar? He's conservative; well-respected on both sides of the aisle, and is well versed on foreign policy.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dl021

Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:53 am

Well, heres something funny...I was thinking along the same lines as Falcon. I think it would be a smart move to send Clinton and Bush 41 as a team to work on a peace initiative. Now is the window and to appoint these two would be to put the two biggest horses possible on the project. Both of them have experience in the region and there will be no mistaking the seriousness of the mission. The negotiations would be handled by the professionals anyway, but both sides would have to take this more seriously than anything done previously.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

solnabo

Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:25 am

Maybe there is a God after all!

Micke  Big grin
Airbus SAS - Love them both

SlamClick

Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:33 am

While not a big fan of Clinton, that is a fascinating idea. It would be a good message, sending such a high-level personage into the project. It would be a gesture that peace in the middle east is sufficiently important as to rise above partisan politics here, and that is really saying something these days.

I can tell you what I think in two words: Im Possible.

Clinton, a former President of the United States could not but feel that it was beneath his stature.

There is a larger problem and this one is huge. As a former POTUS he is subject to all of the security of a sitting President. Now how on earth could he do any meaningful work in the middle east when traveling with a small army that would be required to protect him. The logistics are just not with us on this.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Tom in NO

Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:34 am

It'd work out in one way for Clinton.....he'd have access to more interns  Yeah sure .

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

AMS

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:04 am

That is such a shame!.......In My opinion he was quite a sincere and genuine man!.....Although I have heard he took some distance from the Bush administration, SO I guess that has to do with his resignation.

Regards,
AMS

flyingbronco05

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:35 am

With Bushes "crew" resigning, I wonder when Bush will.

Afterall, he can't run the country efficiently with them, what is he gonna do without them?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

AA777

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:40 am

I was surprised that he stuck around this long... then again, I was surprised that he started to support the Iraq war. I dont know what his incentive was, because if you recall, he resisted supporting the war at first.... I think he was the only decent person in Bush's entire cabinet. And I hope that they all quit and make bush look like the A** that he is.

-AA777

theCoz

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:42 am

In a typical re-election, how many cabinet members usually resign?

N6376M

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:51 am

Slamclick,

Though a former President does have a secret service detail, it in no way comes close to that of a sitting POTUS. In fact, I was at a restaurant in Houston about three weeks ago when Bush (41) came in with Barbara. He had two secret service agents with them and they weren't intrusive at all.

In fact, I'd bet that a sitting SecState probably gets more protection in this day and age because of his role in presidential succession than does a former president.

While I think the likelihood of Bush offering the job is small, I think that security is way down on the list of possible reasons why.

I do think that this would be a tremendous symbol of bipartisanship, diplomacy and statesmanship if something like this did occur. Regardless of what anyone feels about Clinton the person, if as SecState he negotiated a workable peace accord, his legacy as a statesman would be greatly enhanced.

Not to mention the fact that you'd have unanimous Senate approval and set a very good tone for the beginning of the next Coingress. W talked about using the "political capital" he earned on Nov 2. I for one hope that he has the balls to flex this muscle.

In one fell swoop he neutralizes partisan opponents in Congress while at the same time taking a really big step at mending relations with the rest of the world.

-76M

rjpieces

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:57 am

Well, names being floated, according to CNN, are Rice and Wolfwitz, both of which I think would be a disaster for US prestige around the world, when our prestige is already dog's meat.

Supposedly, Rice wants Secretary of Defense....If she does get that, Wolfowitz and I. Lewis Libby (Cheney's Chief of Staff and NSA) have been mentioned as possible NSAs to Bush.

I read that Sec. State is between Rice and UN Ambassador Danforth.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

ctbarnes

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:09 am

My vote would be either for Rice or Danforth. Neither would be an ideal choice but considering what we have to work with.... Wolfowitz running Foggy Bottom would be a disaster and send a very bad signal to the rest of the world. I doubt Rummie will see the writing on the wall and bow out, but if he does, Rice would be the better fit.

Can anyone else comment on the current state on Neo-con credibility in the White House right now? From where I sit they seem to be on the decline.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

cwapilot

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:11 am

This is not surprising at all...what is surprising is the fact that he accepted the job in the first place, AND stayed on past the first 2 years, when it was widely expected that he would resign.

What is also not very surprising is the ignorance of our Eurowhiners. "An administration full of extremists"...my ass. You people know virtually NOTHING about ANYONE in Bush's cabinet, except for some little blurbs in your biased news media. You don't know the difference between a Cabinet member and an Executive Branch employee or presidential adviser, either. You think Colin Powell is a sincere and genuine man, always at odds with the "extremists" because that is the scenario your media painted for you...which you accept hook, line and sinker. And you accuse Americans of being held hostage by the news media.

The likelihood of Bill Clinton being appointed to ANYTHING, no matter how great and flattering it would be for his fan club, is next to NIL. Now, had Clinton taken on the role of elder statesman as ex-president, instead of an overt critic of Candidate Bush in 2000 and President Bush, all the way up through today, it might have been possible. However, Clinton broke with long established Presidential tradition and took on the role of political pundit rather than elder statesman. Remember, during the 2000 campaign, it took Bush's father, who held to the tradition of not criticising your successor tediously, to come out and say that if Bill Clinton didn't stop, he was going to "tell all" before Clinton finally shut up. Then, in a snap poll, when people were asked by CBS whom they would trust, the elder Bush or Clinton, in such a tell-all, it went 70-30 Bush.

My choice for Secretary of State, as someone mentioned earlier, is Richard Lugar of Indiana. He is mentioned time and time again as a potential candidate for the job, even under Bill Clinton. In the 2000 Presidential Primary, when Bush was finally nominated by the Republican Party, Richard Lugar was mentioned as the most qualified candidate for president, on either side of the aisle. He, of course, received maybe 10 votes nationwide, but it has more to do with his reserved demeanor, and hard work out of the spotlight than his qualifications. He is someone that both sides should easily agree upon.

I am amazed at the thinking of the Democrats. It seems that you feel that the winner of the election, in the name of reconciliation, should turn over the reigns of the administration! Since when has any Democrat done anything remotely CLOSE to that? The most is maybe a token position here or there. You people expect Bush to hand over what is arguable the most important cabinet position, to an arch-rival, who has done nothing himself to reconcile with Bush in the first place. "You won,so we're angry, so you should let us run your administration, so it is fair." Get real! The best you can and should hope for (which I do as well) are figures acceptable to both sides, who are more consensus than partisan-driven. Anything more than that is asking too much.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

N6376M

Wolfowitz will have a HUGE Senate confirmation battle before he can assume any Article 2 office.

rjpieces

I was surprised that he stuck around this long... then again, I was surprised that he started to support the Iraq war. I dont know what his incentive was, because if you recall, he resisted supporting the war at first.... I think he was the only decent person in Bush's entire cabinet.

Umm, typical person who babbles without bothering to check the facts. Those who portray Powell as a "dove" are victims of wishful thinking. Powell is as much of a hawk as any member of the Bush Administration--However, from his experience in Vietnam, he is a big supporter of the Caspar Weinberger (Reagan's Sec Def) theory of only going to war for a limited goal with an exit strategy. Powell was all for taking on Saddam, just not the way Bush did it.

And I hope that they all quit and make bush look like the A** that he is.

HAHA. 60,000,000 voters seem to disagree with you. But I guess you're smarter than all of them?

There is a larger problem and this one is huge. As a former POTUS he is subject to all of the security of a sitting President. Now how on earth could he do any meaningful work in the middle east when traveling with a small army that would be required to protect him. The logistics are just not with us on this.

That is probably the LAST thing to worry about. Clinton, as POTUS, had no problem jetting to the Middle East (and all around the world for that matter).

N6376m, I honestly think President Bush should ask Bill Clinton to become his Special Envoy to the Middle East, in the wake of the death of Arafat. I think Clinton's force of personality, and his relative popularity there would bolster US chances to get moving on the "peace process".

When you first mentioned this a few days ago, I thought it was a great idea. But the more I've thought of it, the less enthusiastic I have become of it. Arafat's death presents a great opportunity for peace, and Bush is likely to take advantage of that with or without Clinton.

Last time an ex-President got involved, it was Jimmy Carter jetting off to North Korea. Despite Clinton telling him that he DOES NOT represent the US government, Carter landed and told Kim Sung Il that he represents the US. It has come out that Clinton was extremely close to bombing North Korea. Had he done so, North Korea wouldn't have nukes today and the Kim Sung Il/Kim Jong Il regime would likely have collapsed. But instead Carter negotiated an agreement that postponed the conflict for a while--We gave NK a ton of aid, and they continued to build weapons.

There is a whole lot of great stuff that Clinton can do. I don't think ex-Presidents should be involved too deeply in foreign policy.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

N6376M

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:19 am

I forgot about N Korea. Now Clinton could head over there and mend the rift. I wonder how lil'Kim would greet him now that it came out that WJC had contingency plans to nuke him.

I'm not advocating that W turn over the reigns of power to anyone. While I do agree that SecState is the most prestigious cabinet position, I think W could sit WJC down and say - all I promise you is a seat at the table. I'm sure there will be policy decisions you disagree with me on - as I'm sure certain of your cabinet secretaries did with you - but you represent my administration. You'd be seated right next to me and you'd certainly have my attention - do you want to help or not.

If W offers the job and Clinton says no - the W looks presidential and Clinton (and by association the Dems) look partisan. If W offers and Clinton says yes, you've gone a long way towards making friends with the rest of the world, and all political considerations aside, Clinton could probably do some real good in the negotiations.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. You'd also neutralize Hillary's criticism of the GOP's foreign policy in 2008.

NWA742

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:21 am

Totally expected, but it still sucks that he's resigning.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

rjpieces

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:27 am

One interesting thing to note is that Bush and Clinton are friends. Bush lavished him with praise when Clinton visited the White House a few months ago for the unveiling of his official portrait.

cwapilot

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:29 am

You assume Clinton is capable of avoiding grandstanding for at least 2 years, and is going to remain neutral regarding Hillary's 2008 ambitions. I don't think it is wise to give the person aiming at taking back the White House an inside track. Carter used to be an easy go-to as an ex-pres, but since he, too, has broken tradition and taken on the role of partisan hack, he can't be trusted either. If Bush had a specific mission in mind for Billy Jeff Clinton, with specific boundaries and instructions, I STILL don't think he can be fully trusted.

Your political analysis is a bit naive as well. Think of the potential CNN and Euro tabloid spin: If Clinton is asked and refused, CNN: "Bill Clinton asked to rescue administration, declines association with 'failed' administration." Euro rag: "Bill Clinton tells Stupid Cowboy Poopy Pants to Shove It" If Clinton accepts and is successful: CNN and Euro rags "Clinton Bails Out Bush" If Clinton accepts and is not successful: CNN: "Clinton Unable to Overcome Adversity in Administration" Euro rag "Dummyhead Cowboy Sabotages Lord and Savior Clinton" Clinton then sells another book, and Hillary has all the inside "dirt" she needs.

Again, if Clinton had a track record of being FINISHED with politics, and had no further stake in the outcomes of future elections (any more than the average citizen), it would be different. I didn't see Clinton pulling Bob Dole or George H W Bush into his inner circle, although they say he did consult Nixon quite a bit while he was still alive, much to his delight.

cwapilot

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:32 am

Friends?! That is taking it a little too far. What do you expect Bush to do at a portrait unveiling? "Here's your picture, asshole. Nice grin! Is that Monica under the desk?" Of course not! They may be capable of civility in public, but that is it.

ctbarnes

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:35 am

Rice seems to be the likely replacement according to CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/15/powell/index.html

Charles, SJ

[Edited 2004-11-15 19:35:57]
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

rjpieces

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:35 am

Friends?! That is taking it a little too far. What do you expect Bush to do at a portrait unveiling? "Here's your picture, asshole. Nice grin! Is that Monica under the desk?" Of course not! They may be capable of civility in public, but that is it.

Umm, no. It is well known, for example, that Bush Senior did a whole lot of nasty shit in the White House before Clinton took over. Clinton doesn't really criticize Bush as much as many members of his party, and the two DO get along rather well supposedly. They both have very charismatic personalities(albeit they cater to different crowds).

N6376M

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:36 am

CWAPilot -

If you think US policy should be based on what Euro rags will write out us, then you're the naive one. Who the hell cares what the afternoon headline on these papers is - certainly not the US electorate. W should thank the Mirror for their involvment in Ohio, if anything it helped his re-election.

W will be in Little Rock on Thursday to attend the opening of the Clinton Presidential Library. If I were him, I'd come right out an ask him the question with no advance warning while delivering the speach. The look on the Hillary's face alone would be priceless.

NoUFO

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:45 am

Cwapilot:
What is also not very surprising is the ignorance of our Eurowhiners. "An administration full of extremists"...my ass. You people know virtually NOTHING about ANYONE in Bush's cabinet, except for some little blurbs in your biased news media.

You quote Falcon and at the same time blame us Europeans? Go to bed, it's not your day.
I support the right to arm bears

Andreas

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:59 am

Nobby, why do you care??

Little men with little power, little brains, even smaller d!cks and non-existent self-confidence bragging about how large their guns are and how everybody can kiss their a§§es....you know those little mutts who hide behind their masters legs and then start yapping at others!

Others turn to religion to be reborn and third group, thankfully the smallest one, runs amok!

And all that because they didn't get love and affection from their mommies...

Big grin
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

N6376M

Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:34 am

Hey Andreas - still holding onto the theory that the stock market wouldn't be affected by the outcome of the election?

cwapilot

Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:48 am

And the Eurowhiners resort to juvenile-sounding personal attacks...I guess it will be a normal week after all. Andreas, are you drunk, or have you been into the glue again?

N6376- you commented on what you thought the political spin would be, as did I. I could frankly care less what CNN spins, let alone Euro rags...but, look around you! People around here take what they say as FACT, and will return to work the next day repeating their spin as fact, and it will be reflected in national opinion. Bush can derive no benefit from appointing Bill Clinton to anything, including checking coats at a state dinner. You say he would, I say he won't. Where did I say policy should be written according to what Euro rags say?

RJpieces...nastly little things at the White House supposedly occur at every hand over of power, from an administration of one party to the other. Very little is actually substantiated and, the stuff that is, amounts to petty little pranks. The same accusations were leveled by incoming Bush staffers when Clinton was leaving.

NoUFO

Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:21 am

Andreas, some people's blind rants, how they maintain a concept of an enemy, their illusion of an all-round superiority and their inability to relax will probably never cease to amaze me.

But no, I don't really care, nor do I take them seriously.

And Cwapilot, you don't need to wonder why some people attack you. I'm absolutely convinced you have very little between your ears, and the only one person that provided evidence to say so is - you.
But then again - I don't care.
I support the right to arm bears