USAFHummer
Topic Author

Latest Bowl Projections...

Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:20 pm

Looking through the only updated ones I could find at collegefootballnews.com, I see that they have my Buffs going to Houston for the Houston Bowl vs. Clemson, which is an interesting matchup, but what I dont like is the fact that they show Nebraska going to the Fort Worth Bowl...Nebraska isn't even bowl eligible yet with only 5 wins, and so they are implying that Nebraska will beat us on Friday to get bowl eligible, which Im not thrilled with...

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2004/Bowls/Bowl_Projections.htm

How's your team faring in the bowl projections so far?

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Delta767300ER

RE: Latest Bowl Projections...

Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:25 pm

Miami Hurricanes-Nokia Sugar Bowl. Not bad but we should of won the 2 games we lost. We sure looked good against Wake Forest yesterday.

USAFHummer, Who's your team?

-Delta767300ER

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:34 pm

University of Colorado Buffaloes...also am a UNC Tar Heels fan but they are secondary to the Buffs to me...

Greg

AzoresLover

Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:49 pm

I see they project Ohio State-UCLA in the Sun Bowl - that'd be fine with me!

Yesterday the TV announcers of the Ohio State-Michigan game were projecting the Bucks to play Oklahoma State in the Alamo Bowl. I have a close friend who is about to become an Ok St student, and as I'm an alum of the BUCKS, we'd both be "OSU students" - with my version of OSU being FAR superior, of course!!!  Wink/being sarcastic

BTW, I've always been a Buff fan, for some reason, but not really sure why!!

And, Hummer, any comments on the OSU-Michigan game yesterday??

That rivalry made it so much more fun when I was at Ohio State. It is always: no matter what has happened all season long with either team, you can throw everything out for that game - anything can happen at any time, and it often does!!!
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

FlyVirgin744

Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:33 am

Miami needs to lose to Virginia Tech so Florida can kick their ass like we did at FSU last night.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

Usairwys757

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:13 pm

My Heels are projected to go to the Continental Tire Bowl in Charlotte, and thats where they better go because I already have tickets! I have a lot of family in the Charlotte area and used to live there so its perfect for me. Great season for North Carolina and why not top it off with a bowl win!

GO HEELS!
Inactive.....

garnetpalmetto

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:14 pm

USairways - hope the Heels do go to Charlotte...so Clemson has to take another trip up to Boise and play on the Smurf Turf!
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Usairwys757

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:20 pm

Hahahahaha, yeah I think that would be great. Hopefully the Heels wont have to play on that hideous blue field. I'd have to take breaks during the game for fear that I'd have permanent sight problems.

Charlie Whitehurst = The worst qb in all of college football.
Inactive.....

Falcon84

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:27 pm

I like it. They have FOUR MAC teams in bowl games, and all four-Bowling Green, Toledo, Northern Illinois and Miami, Ohio, deserve it.

And OSU vs UCLA? Cool, a throwback game!  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

KROC

Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:35 pm

OSU vs. UCLA? Cool, a Bowl Game that will generate absolutely no interest.  Big grin

Falcon84

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:05 pm

OSU vs. UCLA? Cool, a Bowl Game that will generate absolutely no interest.

More interest for me than anything Miami of Florida might do. Like who cares about them? ;D
Work Right, Fly Hard

nonrevman

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:07 am

The Big 12 North has been incredibly lackluster this year. I too am a Colorado alumni, and it would be nice to see them end up here in Ft. Worth somehow. Am I missing something, or is Iowa State being neglected in the bowl selection process? Right now, they lead the Big 12 North division and could very well play Oklahoma in the conference title game.

As many of us know, that game is notorious for screwing up the BCS. Let's not forget the year that Nebraska did not even qualify to play in that game, yet they played for the national title and lost big time. Then, there was last year, where Kansas State upset Oklahoma. Of course, Oklahoma still got to the title game--and lost again!!! That gave us the split title. I seem to remember Texas being a candidate for a BCS bowl, but lost the chance because they had to give one slot to Kansas State. Is there still a rule that the Big 12 champion must play in a BCS game? I think there would be nothing funnier than seeing unranked Iowa State beat Oklahoma somehow (yeah, right) and go to a BCS bowl. Could this happen in theory?

b757300

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:57 am

Whoever wins the Big 12 will play in a BCS game, just like the conference champions from the ACC, Big 10, SEC, and Big East (I think). If Oklahoma plays for the national championship, then it will leave an open slot in the Fiesta Bowl which is the game that the Big 12 Champion goes to. (The exception being when the Fiesta bowl hosts the BCS championship and then the Big 12 goes to the Sugar bowl if not playing for the national title.)

Right now it all depends on how the BCS plays out over the next few weeks. If Oklahoma wins out, it will probably be OU vs. USC in the Orange Bowl. This would likely send Texas (if they beat Texas A&M on Friday) to the Fiesta Bowl to face Utah in the first BCS game with a contender from a non-BCS conference. Of course if A&M wins, the Big 12 will throw yet another monkey wrench into the BCS.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

KROC

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 am

Texas won't see a BCS game, and Auburn assuming they win the SEC Championship Game will overtake the Sooners for #2 and play USC for the title. Sorry Big 12 Honks but your conference sucks. If Auburn can run the table and do it in the SEC...they should and will be in the title game.

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:23 am

"Am I missing something, or is Iowa State being neglected in the bowl selection process? Right now, they lead the Big 12 North division"

They have them in the Champs Sports Bowl (formerly the Tangerine Bowl), which is for the 7th spot in the Big 12 overall...this makes some sense, as Iowa State (as all North teams are), would be behind all 5 South teams in the overall picture... but I suppose we just have to wait and see how the North wraps up (ISU hasn't clinched it, CU can still take it away if we beat Nebraska (which also means they would be out of the bowl picture for the first time in something like 35+ years) and ISU loses to Missouri)...and then theres the BCS buster hope from the North team, but lets face it, there wont be any miracles in Kansas City regardless of who plays Oklahoma there...

Greg

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:40 am

Whoever wins the Big 12 will play in a BCS game..

Disagree. I agree with KROC on this one. If Auburn runs the table in the SEC, clearly the best football conference in the land, they have earned, easily, the right to be in the championship game. It should be fought out between SC and OU who deserves to play Auburn, not Auburn having to justify being in-they've clearly, to this point, justified themselves being in the title game, more so than either USC or OU has.

And as KROC rightly points out, the Big 12 absolutely stinks this year. Someone mentioned Iowa State. They're a .500 team, playing for a RIGHT got to a big bowl? Simply because they're in the Big 12? Hell, there's 4 teams in the MAC that can take the Cyclones.

OU has had an easy time in a less-than-stellar conference; same with USC, since the Pac-10 is nothing to write home about. Auburn has gotten through the toughest conference in the nation unbeaten. They should be there, and it should come down to who plays THEM, not if they'll be in at all.
Work Right, Fly Hard

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:08 am

Isn't the BCS, by rule, required to take the Big 12 championship game winner? Regardless if its Oklahoma, or the two stinky north teams, Iowa State, or Colorado?

Greg

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:10 am

Isn't the BCS, by rule, required to take the Big 12 championship game winner? Regardless if its Oklahoma, or the two stinky north teams, Iowa State, or Colorado?

They are required to take thim in a BCS bowl, but that doesn't necessarily mean the national title game.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:15 am

Of course not the national title game (I can always dream, but not this season lol)...but I was just saying any of the other three bowls...

Greg

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:20 am

Yes, they do get an automatic invite.

The real joke? That the Big East, that has nothing "big" about it anymore, will get Boston College into the Sugar Bowl, because, despite the fact it is no longer a marquee conference, minus Miami and Virginia Tech, they still have an automatic BCS bid.

In '06 that changes, as mid majors, like Utah and Boise State, will get better chances to get into a BCS bowl, as the bigger conferences won't have the monopoly they have now on those 4 games.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Usairwys757

Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:58 am

Just announced that Clemson and USC (South Carolina) will not accept their Bowl Bids. I think a class move by Tommy Bowden and Lou Holtz.
Inactive.....

Eric505

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:21 am

Actually Tommy wanted Clemson to go bowling (doesn't suprise me)... USC (Lou) always hinted at refusing bowl invitations.

Now maybe we can play them in a practice... call it the Palmetto Bowl or something, only problem is USC won't have a coach  Smile.
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:32 am

Wow, what an unusual move on the part of the SC schools...I kinda feel bad for the seniors on those teams, but this should give two smaller schools a chance to get into a bowl now...

CFN has updated it a bit, now it has Bowling Green vs. CU in the Houston Bowl...that'd be a good one Falcon, we never get to see MAC action here...

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/2004/Bowls/Bowl_Projections.htm

Greg

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:41 am

Here are ESPN's latest projections...they are current despite the week-old date...note the absence of Clemson and South Carolina...some interesting matchups are there...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=04bowlpicks

Greg

garnetpalmetto

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:01 pm

Well as the only South Carolina alumni (to my knowledge), let me give my two cents. There's a feeling by a few rabid fans that both teams should have gone bowling and that this was just another expression of a highly emotional rivalry. Yes, suspend the players who threw punches or had some role in this, but don't punish the players who stood idly by. I'm not one of the people who holds that sentiment.

For starters, football is, IMO, a team sport. When a player jumps offsides, the entire team gets penalized. When a corner commits pass interference, he costs the entire team. In this instance, I feel that the punishment fits the crime and applaud USC and Clemson both for putting sportsmanship above money.

As for the coaching situation, when Lou had his press conference today (before the self-ban was announced), he stated that he hoped that the "new coach," (someone he was golf buddies with who had a winning tradition *cough Spurrier cough*) would take the helm for a bowl. It definitely would have been interesting to see what Spurrier could have done in a month's time.

My only regret in this is seeing Lou bow out like this. A coach of his stature definitely deserves a better send-off.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:08 pm

USAFHummer, that new ESPN chart blows me away: it gives the Mid American Conference up to SIX, and no less than FIVE Bowl bids. That's unprecidented, and it'd be an amazing accomplishment for the MAC, which was thought, only a few years back, as a second-rate conference.  Big thumbs up
Work Right, Fly Hard

dl021

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:44 pm

falcon and kroc.....I agree that if Auburn wins the SEC they should be in the BCS championship game, but the problem is that they are playing Tennessee and OK is probably playing Iowa State for their individual championships and they will win by a larger margin. This will justify for many poll voters keeping OK above Auburn in the rankings, keeping their BCS score higher.

I hate being a pessimist, but I really get irritated when I see a train of injustice coming down the rails.

Lets hope that Auburn kicks Tennessee's ass and leaves no room for doubt in the voters minds.

GP...this is an example of Lou Holtz's class...he certainly played a part in the decision to decline a bowl bid, and is sacrificing a happy ending to his career to impart a lesson upon his players. He is teaching and they are learning about teamwork and responsibility right up to the end.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ejmmsu

Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:41 pm

Speaking of Oklahoma playing Iowa State in the big 12 championship, there is a precedent for major upsets in the game, although in both cases it was a south team upseting the north.

In the inagural big 12 championship game, Texas (then under John Mackovic) upset an undefeated and 27 point favorite Nebraska.

A couple years later Texas A&M defeated an undefeated and heavily favored Kansas State team.

Last year K-State beat a strongly favored Oklahoma team, although it wasn't as big an upset as the other two.

However, I think Iowa State has no chance against Oklahoma. Iowa State only beat baylor by 1.

Also, the only south team any north team has beat this year is balyor. The 5 best teams in the big 12 are in the south. When the big 8 expanded, the south was supposed to be the whipping boys of the north. Things have certainly changed since then.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

nonrevman

Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:04 pm

Yeah, it does not look like Iowa State has a chance against Oklahoma, but it would sure cause a lot of chaos in the BCS if they did win. Imagine if an unranked team got to play in a BCS bowl. That would almost be as bad as sending someone to the title game when they did not even win their own conference.

It is good to see Utah getting a chance to play in a big game. Hopefully, they will play well in the Fiesta Bowl.

MD-90

Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:41 pm

But Iowa State is not, and has never been, in Tennessee's class.

I agree with ESPN. USC and Oklahoma should be playing to determine which of them get to play Auburn, not for Auburn to have to justify it's inclusion. Those voters don't are suspect, in my opinion (although Auburn does have a weaker than normal schedule).

Auburn's lead ESPN's Power 16 since they dominated Georgia.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/powerranking

Auburn's beaten the 4th(h), 5th(h), and 8th(away) ranked teams. Oklahoma's only beaten the 5th(h), 20th(away), and 22nd(away). USC only the 7th and 19th, and both of those were at home.

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:43 pm

Oklahoma's only beaten the 5th(h), 20th(away), and 22nd(away).

Oklahoma beat #24 at home, too.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

KROC

Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:53 pm

I agree that if Auburn wins the SEC they should be in the BCS championship game, but the problem is that they are playing Tennessee and OK is probably playing Iowa State for their individual championships and they will win by a larger margin. This will justify for many poll voters keeping OK above Auburn in the rankings, keeping their BCS score higher.

Tenneesee is a much better team than Iowa State. They are ranked higher and will also offer more percentage points in the BCS if Auburn beats them. OU would have to lambaste Iowa to keep the edge imo. Also, beating up a solid UT team for a 2nd time is going to look more impressive to voters than beating up Iowa State.

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:50 pm

Also, beating up a solid UT team for a 2nd time is going to look more impressive to voters than beating up Iowa State.

Problem is, KROC, you're ultimately dealing with a computer, not voters.
Work Right, Fly Hard

KROC

Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:59 pm

I get that Falcon, and I said I think that the numbers will sway Auburns way due to the strenght of schedule factor.

ejmmsu

Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:53 pm

Beating tennessee twice kind of has a wierd compounding effect on the computer rankings. The value of both wins will go down with the susequent second loss. Remember this is a tennessee squad that needed a last minute defensive stand to hold of Vandy. Tennessee is beter than Iowa State, but not significantly better.

What would make so much sense in this case would be a four team playoff. Let the Utah-USC winnner play the OU-Auburn winner.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

nonrevman

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:07 am

Being against the whole concept of the BCS, here is what I would hope to see:

(1) Iowa State somehow beating Oklahoma and forcing a BCS bowl slot as an unranked team.

(2) Have Utah win their bowl game to prove that they can play the same caliber football as the other conferences.

(3) Have Texas A&M somehow defeat Texas in that big rivalry game. Not that I have anything against Texas, however it might give Boise State enough of a lift to secure a BCS bowl slot. Then, you have two "outsiders" that you are obligated to slot in the BCS bowls.

Not that I think #1 and #3 will happen, but that would be a dream to those who would like to see the BCS in chaos once again.

USAFHummer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:18 am

I feel obligated to point out again that Iowa State hasn't won the Big 12 North yet...CU is still in it...if we beat Nebraska and Iowa State loses to Missouri (both are entirely possible given how inconsistent the North has been this year), then CU gets to go to Kansas City and play the role of BCS-buster...

Greg

TYSGoVols

Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:55 pm

YEah but also remember that this is a TEnnessee squad that blew UGA away at home. A third ranked Bulldog team. I might add. We may hav ebarely beaten Vandy but that was with how many second and third strings in and in key positions. Auburn will have to play us healthy and with one of our two starting QB's. Not saying that Auburn is going to beat us but, if they do it is a UT team that could blow your piddly Iowa state team from here to kindgdom come. Oaklahomea though I feel is overrated. Look at who Auburn has had to beat and how they beat them both UT and UGA suffered home blow outs.

<>< Garen
Rocky Top You'll Always be home sweet home to me, Good ole' Rocky Top WOOOOO

dl021

Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:38 pm

Neither the Tenn nor the Auburn losses were blowouts, and the Auburn game was at Jordan-Hare and at 24-6 it was the more solid of the two. The Tenn game was a pretty close game, with Georgia making mistakes that helped Tenn, and it came down to the last second with a dropped pass in the end zone that would have won the game for UGA. The problem with the rabid fans is they lose perspective.

I hope that the voters manage to see the difference KROC's talking about with the human polls, because those skew the computer poll.

I really would like to see a playoff system, but it would radically change the bowl scene and interfere with school...the reason these kids should be there in the first place (crickets chirping....)
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

sfointern

Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:44 am

CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL CAL