NBA Suspensions From Pacers-Pistons Brawl

Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:18 am

From http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1928540:

• Ron Artest - the season (wow!!!)
  • Stephen Jackson - 30 games
  • Jermaine O'Neal - 25 games
  • Ben Wallace - 6 games
  • Anthony Johnson - 5 games

...and a slew of others for leaving the bench during the initial on-court fracas.
  • I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

USAFHummer

RE: NBA Suspensions From Pacers-Pistons Brawl

Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:22 am

Well it looks like Artest can take all the time he wants to rest now from his album...

Greg
    Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Jaws707

Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:54 am

I fully agree with the suspensions, there is no reason for these players to jump into the stands. They are PROFESSIONAL athletes and they are expected to act like PROFESSIONALS even when some losers in the crowd decide to cause problems.

KROC

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:03 am

I think its about time that Stern and the NBA finally start coming down hard on actions like this. Maybe if they would take similar actions against all the blunt burners and wannabe gangsters, the NBA could actually turn back into a great game.

mdsh00

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:04 am

Wow! looks like Stern was taking some notes from FIFA.
    "Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

ordflyer

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:06 am

IMO the suspensions were completely fair and deserved...there is no excuse for jumping into the crowd no matter what the circumstances are
    Well it looks like Artest can take all the time he wants to rest now from his album...
    Yea! how ironic...two weeks ago he was moaning about how he wants a month off to promote his album, now he has an entire season  Big grin

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:33 am

Artest will also lose 5.5 million on top of this. Then probly some civil lawsuits on top of that. I bet hes shittin himself for not paying attention in those anger management classes. lol
    The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

USAFHummer

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:37 am

My parents are at the Miami Heat game tonight...they have pretty good seats and they called and said the number of security guards there is way up...visibly noticeable from pre-Artestgate levels...

Greg

SSTjumbo

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:47 am

I agree with the suspensions, however, neither side can go unpunished. I hope those fans involved in the fight get the heck prosecuted out of themselves also to demonstrate to both sides that excellent sportsmanship is paramount in professional sports (DUH!!!).
    I don't know, so this is my signature.

Falcon84

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:56 am

I think part of the suspension on Artest was "accumulated" shit from all the crap he's done over the last few years. The NBA has fined him, suspended him, and warned him about his behavior, apperently the message hasn't gotten through that head of his, which, obviously is short one human brain.

Too bad they didn't tell that jackass "you're gone for good ,and don't bother ever coming back." At the least I hope Indiana releases him at the end of the year. Despite his on-court talent, his off-court crap isn't worth the problem.

One team that made out fantastically in this sad affair was the Cavaliers, who, going into today, were only a half game behind Indiana.

Indiana, a favorite out of the East, is toast for this year, now.
    Work Right, Fly Hard

LY744

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:05 pm

Hey the Pacers only lost by 3 points last night, remarkable seeing as they were playing with 6 players in total.  Laugh out loud

LY744.
    Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

USAFHummer

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:07 pm

Also means some more minutes for my man David Harrison...though whether he's physically capable of it is another story...

Greg

Dash8King

Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:58 pm

I think its actually good for the NBA. I always hear my hockey buddies calling bball players pussies and what not, I think this can actually help the NBA. However I think the whole thing is stupid and the suspensions are worth it.

Falcon84

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:00 pm

I think its actually good for the NBA. I always hear my hockey buddies calling bball players pussies and what not, I think this can actually help the NBA.

There's NOTHING in this that is good, except with how quickly and decisively the NBA brass dealt with it. The rest of it, you can tell the Hockey idiots, who thinks fighting is a good thing in sports, to go watch an NHL game.

The NHL needs to get rid of the violence, just as the other sports' too. I've always felt those jackasses who think that a brawl every time there's a hockey game is a good thing, need to get a life.
    Work Right, Fly Hard

airtran737

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:10 pm

I'm sure that the Pistons will be happy. If they can play decent ball, they should be able to get a huge lead on the Pacers.
    Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Falcon84

Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:23 pm

I'm sure that the Pistons will be happy. If they can play decent ball, they should be able to get a huge lead on the Pacers.

The Pacers aren't their worry now.  Smile Cleveland is.  Big thumbs up
    Work Right, Fly Hard

tbar220

Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:15 pm

I'm pissed that Stephen Jackson didn't get tossed for the entire season as well. He looked like a Viking in a berserker rage in the stands!! Un-freaking believable. And the fact that Jermaine O'Neal assaulted a fan and isn't suspended for the season blows my mind as well.

As for the fans, I hope some harsh punishments are brought on them as well. Many of them carried out assault and should be rightfully charged by law for their actions and dealt with.

What a pathetic, pathetic scene this all is.
    NO URLS in signature

KROC

Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:32 pm

Falcon, come on now bro. The ONLY good thing about Hockey is a brawl. Fighting is a part of the sport...like rioting, looting, killing, and plundering are part of Soccer.

Falcon84

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:07 pm

Falcon, come on now bro. The ONLY good thing about Hockey is a brawl.

Maybe for the nuts out there, but I'd prefer the artistry of guys like Gretzky or Lemieux, crisp passing, great for checking. Screw the goon stuff.  Smile
    Work Right, Fly Hard

gkirk

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:34 pm

Falcon84, sorry agree with KROC here, the only decent thing about hockey is the fighting  Big grin
    When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

OYRJA

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:36 pm

I agree partly with KROC as well. But the figthing has to stop before some one gets hurt like the Avs guy did last season.
    When things like that happens it's just not entertaining anymore.

Falcon84

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:54 pm

YOu guys are nuts. Are you also the type who goes to a car race, and just dreams of seeing a huge wreck? Give me a break. Violence for the sake of violence is lame, guys.  Smile
    Work Right, Fly Hard

gkirk

Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:55 pm

Falcon...you sound like a European  Big grin

Stretch 8

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:02 pm

The problem here is that the NBA has too many talented-but-lazy, unprofessional, richer-than-ever thug divas unable to decide if they want to be athletes or hip-hop stars. All three of the Pacer players should have been banned for the entire season.
    Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Falcon84

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:09 pm

The problem here is that the NBA has too many talented-but-lazy, unprofessional, richer-than-ever thug divas unable to decide if they want to be athletes or hip-hop stars.

Boy, I'm glad I'm not one of those!

Signed,

Latrell Sprewell
    Work Right, Fly Hard

DABZF

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:16 pm

I quess you need to have some fighting in team sports...
    and now when NHL is not on... they need to start fighting in NBA to keep the spectators happy  Laugh out loud
    I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

KROC

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Nice Latrell crackback Falcon.

As for hockey violence...I'm not saying a sucked punch from behind with a bulldog headlock that leaves a guy with a busted neck it good, BUT the artistry of a Mario L or Wayne G becomes artistry when they are weaving in and out the hard body checks, the people looking to take them down etc and their teammates that get their back in a solid straight up drop the gloves fist fight. Things like that are what helps keep the aggression of a rough game from going over the top.

Falcon84

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:29 pm

BUT the artistry of a Mario L or Wayne G becomes artistry when they are weaving in and out the hard body checks, the people looking to take them down

Hard, clean hits, KROC, I have no problem with-it's part of the game. But the goon stuff just detracts, for me, what can be a great game.

I learned hockey not from watching the League Formerly Knowns As The NHL, but from watching Collegiate-and very good collegiate-hockey, at BG, where we won the NCAA crown in '84. That goon stuff wasn't allowed, and that's the kind of hockey I enjoy, paisan.

[Edited 2004-11-22 14:34:14]
    Work Right, Fly Hard

OYRJA

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:35 pm

When I saw about it on ESPN and the other channels in Chicago it reminded me alot about the Eric Cantona incident a few years back:

Totally psycho........

gkirk

Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:38 pm

OYRJA...only one way to describe that incident.
    He's French and now plays beach football or acts or something

Tom in NO

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:15 am

I wonder how much of Artest's suspension will get reduced after the players union gets through with their appeals. I'm guessing that NBA suspensions don't get reduced as often as say, baseball suspensions do.

I'll be more interested to see what sort of criminal and civil charges come down the pike, both against the players and the fans involved.

Interesting mixing hockey into this thread. Fighting has its place in hockey, but I'd also rather see the clean flowing and skating game that we used to see, with the rough stuff coming when it was deserved, not every other minute.

Also, I'm glad to see that there are a few of us still caring about the NHL. For sure, the other 250 million (or whatever) population in the states doesn't care, and isn't missing it.

Tom at MSY
    "The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:30 am

I wonder how much of Artest's suspension will get reduced after the players union gets through with their appeals.

For this asshole, and the history he has of being a disruptive influence and flying off the handle? Zilch.

And, if he's allowed back next year, he'll be on such a tight leash that one more infraction, and he'll have to play in Europe the rest of his carrer. He'll be tossed permanently, which would be a good thing.

I hope as part of his suspension, the NBA forces him to undergo anger management counseling. He's rich, but let the league pay for it, as a gesture of saying "you fucked up, but we WANT you to get better in this regard, and we do want to help". If he refuses, or if he does, and he doesn't get better, it's only a matter of time till he's gone for good.

The sad thing isn't that he may someday be out of the NBA, but that he may end up killing himself or someone else with all that pent-up anger inside him.
    Work Right, Fly Hard

Logan22L

Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:43 am

As for the NBA, I posted earlier last week about how it was the sorriest excuse for a sports league in the universe in response to GKirk's Orlando Magic thread. Now this.

As for the NHL, unfortunately the fights may be the best part of the game, only because the game is so damn boring. Dink and dump, press; the game's dead. Not that I think fighting should be the best part of the game, it's just that it has become that sorry. I miss the good old fashioned hip check, like Terry O'Reilly used to use to perfection.

I must admit though, the funniest scene was when Mike Milbury went up into the stands (Madison Sq. Garden, I believe) and ripped some guys shoe off and started beating him over the head with it. If that makes me a hypocrite, so be it. That was f-ing funny.

Logan
    "The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:19 am

Ok, we all know this was outrageous, but what can be done to make sure it doesn't happen again? I have a few ideas:

-Get rid of these court-side, and by-the-benches seats. We don't need Jack Nicholson and other people close enough to be able to grab Kobe, Shaq or LeBron every time they come down the court. Fans don't need to be that close to the game. Get seats away from the sidelines and from behind the benches. Maybe it's time to put the media back in behind the benches, to have buffer between fan and players.

-Stop selling alcohol by halftime. I know, especially on weekend games, Joe Sixpack is usually so trashed by the thme he gets there it may not matter, but the NBA doesn't need to aggrivate the situation.

-Have "Family Sections" at all arena's (I'd love to see the NFL do this too), where families can take their kids, where no alcohol or foul language of any kind is permitted.

-Throw out any fan that uses f-bombs of any kind, or racial slurs against players. That should be standard at any arena. That's already the rule for throwing objects. Expand it a little.

-Have all the players the next off-season go to anger management sessions, even if they've never shown any tendancy to do An Artest, and let them learn about such behaivor, and reinforce the consequences of such actions.

Anyone else have any ideas, or comments on mine?
    Work Right, Fly Hard

mdsh00

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:34 am

-Get rid of these court-side, and by-the-benches seats. We don't need Jack Nicholson and other people close enough to be able to grab Kobe, Shaq or LeBron every time they come down the court. Fans don't need to be that close to the game. Get seats away from the sidelines and from behind the benches. Maybe it's time to put the media back in behind the benches, to have buffer between fan and players.

While I agree with your reasoning, I think it would not be right for them to ruin the experience for those people that pay to sit courtside and behave. What should be done is a spot check for season-ticket holders and the reservation of rights to take away the season tickets without a refund.

-Stop selling alcohol by halftime. I know, especially on weekend games, Joe Sixpack is usually so trashed by the thme he gets there it may not matter, but the NBA doesn't need to aggrivate the situation.

The first thing I was wondering when watching the footage, why was there beer? I think it is state law but I believe that CA and even Texas outlaw beer sales after a certain time before the game is about to start.

-Have "Family Sections" at all arena's (I'd love to see the NFL do this too), where families can take their kids, where no alcohol or foul language of any kind is permitted.

sounds like a good idea

-Throw out any fan that uses f-bombs of any kind, or racial slurs against players. That should be standard at any arena. That's already the rule for throwing objects. Expand it a little.

F-bombs once in a while are okay, just not when they are excessive and around children.

-Have all the players the next off-season go to anger management sessions, even if they've never shown any tendancy to do An Artest, and let them learn about such behaivor, and reinforce the consequences of such actions.

I don't think that will help. The NBA, and many professional sports, now have become filled with players that think they are Gods gift to American society and truly act like it. The days when players had class (Jordan, Magic, Bird, Isah Thomas, etc..) are probably gone.
    "Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:37 am

While I agree with your reasoning, I think it would not be right for them to ruin the experience for those people that pay to sit courtside and behave.

Experience? This is a basketball game, not some religious revival! Who care's about the "experience". That shouldn't be an issue, with all respect.

F-bombs once in a while are okay, just not when they are excessive and around children.

No, they're not OK. Would you want someone coming where YOU work, and drop f-bombs? It's not permissable, apparently, anywhere, except at sporting events and in airline boarding areas during delays or cancellatons. If it's not ok in the rest of society, it should be prohibited in arenas as well.
    Work Right, Fly Hard

mdsh00

Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:02 am

Experience? This is a basketball game, not some religious revival! Who care's about the "experience". That shouldn't be an issue, with all respect.

I meant that most of those people that pay for those seats usually do behave well. If I were someone with lots of money and wanted to see my favorite team courtside and can behave..why not? It was those drunk season ticket holders in the stands that contributed to the brawl. Instead of the Bad Apples spoiling the game for all, perhaps all sporting arenas should become more strict about issuing season tickets, such as criminal checks and more tougher stances like being blacklisting in all sporting events in the city. As long as the NBA shows that it means business, it could work, in my opinion.

In the end however, the safety of the playes and fans is the most important and the NBA should do whatever it feels right to ensure that.

Convair990

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:17 pm

Where did my $ 6,144,000 salary go???

Signed,

Ron Artest
    The University of Georgia Bulldogs are girlie men!!

Falcon84

Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:29 pm

Where did my $ 6,144,000 salary go???

Signed,

Ron Artest

p.s. My rap album comes out this week, and I REALLY need y'all to buy it.

Signed,

Ron
    Work Right, Fly Hard