UTA_flyinghigh

The New Volkswagen Jetta (Bora) Is Here!

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:06 pm

Volkswagen today released the first official photos of its all-new Jetta, Volkswagen’s most popular model in the U.S., accounting for about 40 percent of the brand’s overall volume. It goes on sale this coming March, and will make its worldwide public debut at the Los Angeles auto show on January 5, 2005, at which time pricing will be announced.

The new Jetta has grown in size from the previous model, and features a four-wheel independent suspension, a new 2.5-liter 150-horsepower five-cylinder engine (versus a 2.0-liter 115-hp four-cylinder in the previous model), and an optional six-speed automatic transmission with Tiptronic. Later in 2005, Volkswagen will offer its DSG automated-manual transmission (TDI only).

The Jetta’s new technology includes standard electro-mechanical steering, electronic stability program (ESP), and four-wheel disc brakes with next-generation ABS.

It looks nice, but if VW's prices keep verging on the ridiculous, I will definitely be switching over to Audi  Big thumbs up

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

OYRJA

RE: The New Volkswagen Jetta (Bora) Is Here!

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:13 pm

It reminds me a little about the new Toyota Avanesis. Not much difference from there IMO.
The only difference is probably the price.

How much does this Jetta cost?

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:20 pm

OYRJA, it really looks like we are bored as dead rats Big grin
If the pricing of the latest Golf is an indication, then the new Bora will be ridiculously overpriced.
Wait and see...

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

FLVILLA

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:23 pm

Any official pics of the new Passat yet ??
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

OYRJA

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:33 pm

UTA,

I think so to. Especially since they start making threads about us Big grin

I wouldn't be surprised that the Bora will be damn expensive. To be honest I don't think it's worth the money they cost now.

MYT332

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:37 pm

Face of a golf, arse of a 5 series yet still manages to retain an overall look of the Avensis. It's not too bad I guess although those alloys suck as does the gold paint.

Justin what do you think?  Laugh out loud
One Life, Live it.

DABZF

Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:50 pm

I have to say that I like more of these cars that doesn't really look anything, very neutral.
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

cptkrell

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:11 am

Somehow, "Maserati Bora" has a much nicer ring to it than "Volkswagen Bora"  Smile

The photos seem to indicate a slighly more interesting proportion than the current Jetta (another inapropos name, IMHO) but one will have to wait to see if it turns invisible in traffic. Regards...jack
all best; jack

AA777

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:25 am

I am impressed! The styling reminds me of the Phaeton, which is one mighty- classy looking car. Now I am waiting to see the new Passat!

-AA777

DfwRevolution

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:07 am

I think it looks alright... the picture looks good but I'll wait to see it in person before giving my final verdict. The front has great styling but the back looks a lot like a Toyota Corolla.

Kind of a bumer that the 1.8T and the VR6 engines are gone. I understand the ignition coils with the 1.8T engine were a pain in the ass, but it was very quick. Wonder how this new 5 cylinder will do.....

777heavy

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:16 am

Muhahaha!

Who will spend money for that shitty looking car?

VW will never come out of their financial problems with cars like that!

Just disgusting!

777heavy

[Edited 2004-11-25 18:17:01]
Well done Germany!

jmc1975

Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:58 am

I have a hard time believing the 5-cylinder engine is going to be standard equipment. I'd think it would be optional, unless VW plans to market the Jetta significantly up-market.

whitehatter

Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:05 am

Volkswagen again run true to form, pumping out another bland, faceless and overpriced car.

I would pack their entire team off to Renault for a lesson in how to at least make the cars look interesting, and then put them all on notice unless they can come up with something which doesn't look like the worst bits of other manufacturers' vehicles cobbled together.

Even their sub-brands like Skoda and Seat are producing better looking cars using the same platform. The entire Volkswagen range is as inspiring as a two day old dump and has similar visual lines.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

racko

Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:24 am

"I would pack their entire team off to Renault for a lesson in how to at least make the cars look interesting,"

Renaults look SO great that they are too afraid to even enter the US market, by far the most important market for the Jetta.

whitehatter

Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:45 am

Renault are in the US market.

Ever heard of Nissan?
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

BOEING747-700

Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:03 am

I like it, what is the HP of the V6 they are going to drop in it? Hummmmmm maybe I will trade in mine and get one Big grin 6 speed Manual only.

Is this one made in Mexico for N America or is it coming from Germany.

First letter/Number on VIN Numbers ='s
9-Brazil
3-Mexico
W-Germany

racko

Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:49 am

Whitehatter, and your point is?
About 45% of the Nissan shares are owned by the Renault brand, yes, but what has this to do with the brand Renault and the styling of its cars?

Boeing747-400, the Jetta is made in Mexico.

andrej

Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:57 am

Hello all,

maybe it is me, but it reminds me of my Toyota Corolla. Looks nice, but Toyota already came up with this desing.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cheers,

Andrej

JBirdAV8r

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:36 am

I was just about to say...did not know VW made Corolla's.....

eugh.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

gigneil

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:04 am

I hate it. It looks like a Corolla or a Civic.

N

VonRichtofen

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:10 am

Looks like a Civic in the front, Corolla in the back.

captaingomes

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:34 am

I am not impressed with the first photos. However, much like the new Golf, it did not impress me much either, and now it's grown on me substantially. VW's are still interesting cars, and it's nice to have something different in the North American market. The key to this car will be in the details, and in this way, VW has always offered something different, and somewhat upmarket, thus commanding the price premium.

I think it will do relatively well, although it wont see the same increase in sales that the current generation was able to produce, as that was a distinct improvement over the previous car when it came out in 1999, at least from a stylistic and perceived quality perspective. This new one is markedly better from the standpoint of the chassis. Problem is, a test drive is required to find that out, and the somewhat iffy styling wont convince as many people as it should. Also, they better improve their reliability, or they'll continue losing a lot of faithful owners.

"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

CactusA319

Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:26 pm

I hate it. It looks like a Corolla or a Civic.

Don't insult the Civic like that dude.

DeltaMD11

Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:38 pm

When I saw the pictures, the first thing that came across mind is that it looks like a Corolla. They've given both the Jetta and Passat a look thats a cross between the Phaeton/Corolla and Phateon/Camry respectively. I absolutely hate it, they've lost their sense of European styling. Well at least I got my '04 Passat....it looks somewhat classy and respectable compared to the new one. Kudos to VW for Asian-ing out their cars, they'll look like anything else before long. If you haven't guessed, I'm not too big on Asian cars--sorry folks.

Edit: Sorry I'm anal retentive and there was a typo.

[Edited 2004-11-26 04:45:32]
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Springbok747

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:06 pm

I don't like it at all...looks like a KIA or a Hyundai or some of those other weird-sounding South Korean cars. No offence, but I absolutely HATE those crappy Hyundais and Daewoos and KIAs...and now I'll add VW to that list.
אני תומך בישראל

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:36 pm

Whitehatter, and your point is?
About 45% of the Nissan shares are owned by the Renault brand, yes, but what has this to do with the brand Renault and the styling of its cars?

Two words : same platform

In 5 years' time sheetmetal will be the only difference between Renault/Nissan/Samsung vehicles.
Even now, vehicles are badged accordingly depending on the target market.

UTA

captaingomes

Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:45 am

Still, Renaults are not sold in North America, just like Skodas are not sold in North America, despite sharing platforms with VW vehicles sold here. The point about Renault selling vehicles here is moot.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

racko

Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:31 pm

UTA_flyingHIGH, and what exactly has the platform to do with the design of a car?

RayChuang

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:36 am

The Acura TSX (neé European market Honda Accord) as interpreted by Volkswagen.  Insane I'll take the real thing, thank you very much!

Speaking of the Renault/Nissan linkup, don't be surprised some Renault models end up in the US market badged as Nissans. I think Renault is gauging the reaction to the Mazda5 in the US market before selling a Nissan-badged version of the Renault Scenic, and the new Renault Modus could be sold as a Nissan in the US market also, depending on how well US buyers take to the upcoming second-generation Honda Fit that will be sold in the USA within the next 18 months.