whitehatter

Arthur Hailey Dies, Age 84

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:36 am

A sad loss, Arthur Hailey (who wrote the original Airport book amongst many others) has died at the age of 84.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

RE: Arthur Hailey Dies, Age 84

Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:47 am

Excellent, classic, timeless novel (Airport).
Superlative, eloquent storyteller (Mr. Hailey).

The passage in the novel about flight departures is quite memorable, and
still stands the test of time.

cedarjet

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:06 am

This is actually a very sad day for aviation. When Airport was published, air travel was an exotic experience and most people, even Americans, hadn't done it. He explained so much in the course of his fiction, Airport the novel for me was the first lesson, and in fact the first grown-up book I ever read. (He was also a bomber pilot - or crewmember - in Europe in WW2 with the RCAF.)

The man was born in Luton - the petition to change LTN to Hailey International starts here. He deserves no less.

RIP.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

whitehatter

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:08 am

he man was born in Luton - the petition to change LTN to Hailey International starts here. He deserves no less.

Brilliant idea.

Sounds better than Stelios International... Wink/being sarcastic
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:29 am

Hailey International Airport......I rather like that. Excellent idea. If there is to be a formal petition, I will no doubt sign up. It would serve as a wonderful tribute to this gentleman.

ClassicLover

Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:32 am

Agreed, it is a sad day.

Awesome author - I've read many of his books and they're all just as good as the book for Airport.

It's like he's taken a snapshot of whatever era the book was written in, added a plot, and the result is like a perfect time capsule - and a rollicking good read.

Can't recommend his books enough!

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:59 pm

His early books were great, particularly "Airport" and "Hotel", but his later stories got more and more Barbara Taylor Bradford as he went on. The medical one ("Final Diagnosis" was it ?) was just lame. The characters were all so twee and perfect, it was pretty awful.

It would be good to rename LTN - but instead of Hailey International, they should just call it "Arthur Hailey's Airport".
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ClassicLover

Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:18 pm

Arthur Hailey's Airport! LOL

Totally agree with you that Hotel is also a good book... not sure if I read Final Diagnosis, but I enjoyed Wheels, and the stockmarket one whatever that was called (probably something like Money).

Trent.
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

cedarjet

Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:59 pm

Arthur Hailey's Airport!! Whoo hoo!! That's GOOD.

And it risk of being a complete copycat, I loved Hotel too. And The Moneychangers (it has a 707 in it) was awesome. There was one about the news business, I think called The Evening News, the first 50 pages are a second-by-second account of a midair collision over Texas and the consequent emergency landing of an A300 at DFW (can't remember what the other plane was, it crashes somewhere I think), check it out. Never read (The Final Diagnosis.)

I'm writing a letter to LTN airport right now. I respectfully suggest as many people do the same as possible.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz