ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

What Do You Think Of Kofi Annan?

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:38 pm

What you think of the dude, and the job he's done over the years?

Media-created or not, there seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty about his ability to further lead the UN in a prosperous way.

So what say you types: give him a try, or give him a fry?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Springbok747

RE: What Do You Think Of Kofi Annan?

Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:54 pm

Laugh out loud
אני תומך בישראל

Thom@s

Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:23 pm

Good man.  Smile

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Klaus

Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:32 pm

I think he´s doing a relatively good job within the limitations of his office (the actual decision power is mostly in the hands of the UNSC or the general assembly).

solnabo

Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:39 am

Mr Annan is a great president for UN, so I give him my vote!

Micke  Big thumbs up
Airbus SAS - Love them both

jamesag96

Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:44 am

Why is he a great president for the UN? Not trying to flame, just interested in others perceptions.

Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

dl021

Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:53 am

I think that he is in a bad position.

He has a job that has little actual power to issue or enforce policy, is saddled with an administration that is either corrupt or rendered less useful due to the corrupt other half, has a mandate to do nothing without unanimous support from a group of nations that are almost never in unanimous agreement about anything, and has acted in a distinctly biased way as regards the US.

I do not think he is evil, nor do I think he would not like to leave some lasting mark of peace or other positive movement that could be attributed to his administration but I do not see this as a possibility. The UN is too polarized and hamstrung by certain members who act in their own interest against the rest.

I believe that the UN needs new leadership and should take a deep look at its own mission so that they can reinforce that which works and stop wasting money and that which does not. Refugee aid seems to work, peacekeeping seems to fail. Disaster relief seems bring unanimity, nation (re)building seems to divide.

We need the meeting place where all can sit and talk and we need an organization that can allow nations to work in unity as the situation calls for it...I am not so sure we need an activist would-be world government that meddles and dabbles, and offers opportunity for corruption on a global scale
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Falcon84

Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:03 am

Hey Springbok, Annan doesn't think we needed HIS permission, but that the US needed to go through the UN, ot bulldoze it, to get the war it so desperately wanted in Iraq. In that case, he is correct-the U.S. to the rest of the world to f**k off, and even though it went through the UN when it served Mr. Bush's purpose, the minute he felt the UN was an obstacle, he told them to take a hike.

The U.S. made a big deal of getting 1441 passed-which was, to refresh the memories of those who still back this idiotic war, all about WMD, and nothing else. But when the rest of the world was not convinced of the "evidence" (and the world, not the US turned to to be correct on this "evidence"), the it was worth it to Bush to tell the world to go screw itself.

I think he's done a decent job, seeing who he's had to deal with, namely George W. Bush.
Work Right, Fly Hard

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:21 am

-the U.S. to the rest of the world to f**k off

...thanks for reminding me the one reason I love Bush so much  Big thumbs up
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Klaus

ConcordeBoy

Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:17 am

ConcordeBoy: ...thanks for reminding me the one reason I love Bush so much

Chaining yourself to the mast of a sinking ship is usually not seen as a bright move...  Nuts

Springbok747

Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:45 am

Hey Falcon, That was meant to be a joke..geez, lighten up dude.

PS: Do you work for Michael Moore or something? I guess with the kind of attitude you have towards your country, you will be the next MM.
אני תומך בישראל

miamiair

Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:58 am

Why don't all of you that think he's done such a great job find out how much he made from the "Oil For Food" program. I think he is another politician, doing a sub-par job and got caught up in the corruption. Get Rid of him.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Klaus

Miamiair

Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:53 am

Miamiair: Why don't all of you that think he's done such a great job find out how much he made from the "Oil For Food" program. I think he is another politician, doing a sub-par job and got caught up in the corruption. Get Rid of him.

...and another naive scattershot widely missing the target...!  Insane

ltbewr

Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:33 am

I think he should either resign or be 'fired'. The horrendous corruption with the food-for-oil program, the continued reluctance by him and the UN in general to deal with regional strife and terrorism in the way it needs to be done are all good reasons.
The UN needs more than a change in it's leadership, it needs a substantial revision for today's times. It needs a restrucuting to stop it from being a place for condemming the western world (especially the USA). It needs to promote in all countries sound and reasonable represenative governments that respect general human rights. It needs to make the Security Council more representive of today's major nations, to (for example) include Japan, India, Indonesia (for Islamic world representation), at least one African country and Brazil in South America, and to cut out France and the UK, and replacing them with a EC representative. They need to make sure that the rotating leadership and memeberships of key committees, like human and woman's rights and the Security Council, do not go to violators themselves of those rights.
They also need to deal with issues that they should deal with but have been reluctant. That includes dealing firmly and with military action (or allowing the USA to do it) to enforce resoultions agains the many despotic rulers such as Saddam Hussain, and not just keep passing resolutions till he thinks he can get away with it. They need to deal in a balanced way with issues such as the enviroment, financing and banking, drug trade, the sex trades, AIDS and other medical issues and human rights issues.

L.1011

Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:03 am

He seemed like a nice guy, but in recent years his utter cluelessness of world affairs and his and his organization's power has removed whatever credibility he had in my eyes. I hestitate to crucify him for Oil-for-Food just yet. If he is still stonewalling a US Congressional investigation by the time this Volkner or whatever his name is guy finishes his investigation, it will be pretty clear that whatever Congress would uncover would be pretty damning to Mr. Annan and the UN in general. What has really damaged Mr. Annan's reputation in my view is his hillariously idiotic claims that various US actions are "illegal", while ignoring similar actions in Cote d'Ivorie and many other nations by the European powers. Fallujah really made him look totally clueless. He calls the Fallujah offensive illegal? Killing terrorists is illegal? What I find even more pathetic is his use of the term "illegal". He needs to realize that the UN is not a world government, and as of now no nation has turned over its soverignty to the United Nations. He can say he doesn't agree with things, that's fine. But when he whines about things being "illegal", the only thing that pops into my head is "What are YOU going to do about it?" Once he realizes that the UN is powerless militarily, he can be a more effective leader. The blatent and obvious anti-Americanism he exhibits is really appaling and does nothing to better the world. UN "peacekeeping" has been utterly worthless, if not detrimental to the various nations it has been conducted in. UN nation-building, in some ways a part of the peacekeeping, has also been totally ineffective. However, the UN has done an excellent job at humanitarian efforts. In addition, a variety of special agencies like UNICEF, the ICAO, WHO, and WTO seem to function well enough. That's why I advocate splitting the UN in half, and doing a variety of other shifts and mergers. The UN needs to be split into three parts. An economic part, for such things as the WTO, a "peace" part, for such things as the WHO, and a "war" part, for peacekeeping and other operations. NATO seems to do a better job than the UN in that department, so UN peacekeeping strength and operations should be shifted into NATO. NATO membership should be extended to all the "agreeable" nations. We need to study what benefits such organizations ASEAN, the CIS, the Commonwealth, and the EU provide for economic and peace issues. At the same time, the existing United Nations should be completely shut down, to clear out all the "gunk." Three seperate unions can do its job far better.

DeltaGuy

Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:37 pm

He's an anti-US leader with little or no benefit in mind for the American people. I believe he has American blood on his hands, with is involvement in the oil for food scandal and other little investments of his time. He is a French government ass kisser, and anti-Bush all the way. I say we tell him to get the hell out of the UN, or we turn the UN building into a new mega-mall. I say it's a fair deal.

DeltaGuy (Far rightist pig Big grin)
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Klaus

Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:27 am

You´re vilifying him for calling you on your own screwups?

You´re really on the way down!  Insane

Falcon84

Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:42 am

He's an anti-US leader with little or no benefit in mind for the American people.

He's there FOR THE WORLD, not to rubber-stamp what the U.S. wants, or to kiss Bush's ass, did you ever stop to think of that, bright boy?

I believe he has American blood on his hands, with is involvement in the oil for food scandal and other little investments of his time.

ROTFL, you have the balls to say that, and yet exonerate George Bush for what's going on in Iraq right now? Can you say "hypocrite"?

He is a French government ass kisser, and anti-Bush all the way.

Coming from the mouth of a current US Administration ass-kisser, and someone who is pro-Bush all the way, I can see where that's such a crime to you.

As for the quote after your name, I think it's very apropot. You are certainly all that, no doubt about it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

yyz717

Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:57 am

You want the truth about Kofi Annan?

African CLAMOURED for an African UN SG....so Boutros-Boutros Ghali was installed. Then Africa CLAMOURED for a black African as UN SG. Hence Koffi was installed.

He is a useless academic bureaucrat, elected by no one, and hence representing no one. His one and only qualification is that he is a black man. From Africa.

The bum should be fired.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Falcon84

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:15 am

He's only a bum to you, Yyz717, because he's against the U.S. war in Iraq. That's the only reason.

If he's a bum, guess what that makes George W. Bush?
Work Right, Fly Hard

commander_rabb

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:40 am

CLASSIC!

Perhaps his son will be his legacy. Afterall he has lined his pockets. And to think the U.S. liked Kofi cup.

Talk about a dissapointment x's 2!

Falcon84

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:42 am

Afterall he has lined his pockets.

ROTFL. So has Dick Cheney through his Hallaburton blind trust, after all these gift contracts in Iraq.
Work Right, Fly Hard

yyz717

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:57 am

It's got nothing to do with Iraq.

Koffi's primary qualification is that he is a black man from Africa. This was what the UN looked for.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Klaus

Yyz717

Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:02 am

Yyz717: It's got nothing to do with Iraq.

Yet that is what you claim he harrassed the poor, poor Bush administration about.  Insane

Yyz717: Koffi's primary qualification is that he is a black man from Africa. This was what the UN looked for.

And you can´t find any substantial criticism beyond wrongly blaming him for the blockades put up by the UNSC members? That´s a bit weak.

iakobos

Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:45 am

Modest (to the point of humility), honest (a rarity where he comes from) and compassionate (something that does not sell well lately).

I bet he is the best man the US admin could think of in the last 3 years and for the next 4, since anyone else would be far worse in their view.
Kofi Annan pays the price for being a soft UN SG under these circumstances, in extenso: at a time the US governement HAS to project idea that the UN is a big and expensive bag of crap and corrupt politicians, unable to enforce anything by itself (???), and that the SG is fed by French ideas.

Anything else to make please you gentlemen ?

ps: do not think for a second that the US and other UNSC permanent members play any role in being very happy to remove any power that the UN might have. Do they veto a deployment, Annan is the culprit, do they veto a resolution, Annan is the guy, do they decide to bend international law, Annan is guilty. He is as black as a punching ball, and perfect at that in US eyes.

DeltaGuy

Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:44 am

He's there FOR THE WORLD, not to rubber-stamp what the U.S. wants, or to kiss Bush's ass, did you ever stop to think of that, bright boy?

Well infant, since you think he's there for the world, will you please tell me why he consistently has been a stumbling block in this administration's way, and openly supported the Kerry camp? If he IS there for everyone, he should rather be a help to any administration, not just the ones he picks and chooses. His job is not to choose which party that suits his ass, but instead to work with what countries he has been given- he's not a world leader like he thinks. His job is also not there to give a "permission slip" to a country if they want to take action against another country. He is NOT the final authority. Hopefully you and him both stop crying about the Kerry camp's obvious defeat, because those two are assholes and you know it.

As for the quote after your name, I think it's very apropot. You are certainly all that, no doubt about it.

Well maybe Alphafalcon can learn how to spell appropriate someday! Actually, the quote more sums up what the Kerry campaign (and by implication, you) is all about. You should know this, donkey ass-kisser.

Annan needs to step down, pronto...his presence in the UN and in the world scene is very unneeded. Go back to whatever shithole place he came from.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

yyz717

Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:57 am

Annan needs to step down, pronto...his presence in the UN and in the world scene is very unneeded.

I agree. He is adding no value.

Go back to whatever shithole place he came from.

Ghana. I think. Yes, why can't he use his "formidable" organizational and bureaucratic skills to help his native Ghana? Let's face it -- he just likes to live high on the hog in NYC, with no responsibilities.

Go back to Ghana Koffi. Maybe you could try to get democratically elected there, and then you will be legitimate.

Falcon84

Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:57 am

Well infant, since you think he's there for the world, will you please tell me why he consistently has been a stumbling block in this administration's way..

Stumbling block? Maybe "speed bump" is a better word for it, because since the fall of 2002, the U.S. Administration has tried to bulldoze, run over, shit on, and thumb the nose at the UN whenever it has the chance-execpt, of course, to lecture the UN on how it should help bail the US out of a war that the US can't figure out what to do with.

"Stumbling block", isn't a correct word-maybe "speed bump", as in trying to bring some sanity to what is going on. I don't see much sanity in US foreign policy these days, nor any consistency either.

and openly supported the Kerry camp?

I don't remember him doing that, but if he did, I don't blame him, simply becuase of the recklessness of the US policy in Iraq.

If he IS there for everyone, he should rather be a help to any administration,

So he should be there to help Cuba? Iran? North Korea? Iraq, under Saddam? Or are you talking any UNITED STATES Administration? He's not there to help the U.S. get it's way, he's there to do what he thinks is best for the world.

And guess what, DeltaGuy, what's always best for the world isn't always what the United States has in mind.

And if the BEST you can do is to hit me on spelling, then you don't have much ammunition. I don't expect much more, thought, from a right-wing nut, though.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Klaus

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:14 pm

DeltaGuy, Yyz717, you´re embarrassing yourselves by publicly exposing your complete ignorance of what the UN actually is and what it really does and how.

Please, inform yourselves. This is a good start: http://www.un.org/aboutun/index.html

yyz717

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:29 pm

DeltaGuy, Yyz717, you´re embarrassing yourselves by publicly exposing your complete ignorance of what the UN actually is and what it really does and how.

What the UN really is and does, is open to vast interpretation.

There are many of us who see a bureaucratic organization made up largely of non-democratic countries who spend Western money on dubious ventures or on bureaucratic nonsense.

Kofi: go home and help your native Ghana.

Falcon84

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:31 pm

What the UN really is and does, is open to vast interpretation.

Yes, we've seen that: most people think it's there to foster peace, and to foster exchange between nations; guys like DeltaGuy think it should be there to kiss the ass of the current US Administration, no matter how onus its policies are.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Klaus

Yyz717

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:34 pm

Yyz717: What the UN really is and does, is open to vast interpretation.

No, it´s not. But you may have to actually read the charta and the other documents to understand anything about it.

But since it might be detrimental to your silly prejudices, I don´t have much hope of you actually doing it.  Insane

yyz717

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:38 pm

Yyz717: What the UN really is and does, is open to vast interpretation.

No, it´s not.

Yes, it is. The UN is heavily bogged down in bureaucracy of its own making. It spends money on some dubious ventures, and will not challenge human rights abuses in the 3rd world.

But since it might be detrimental to your silly prejudices

I urge you to obey the rules of anet, and refrain from insults. Lest you be banned. Keep the comments on the topic. I am not attacking you. Thanks in advance.

DeltaGuy

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:38 pm

Thanks yyz717....I like that motto too- "Kofi: go home and help your native Ghana"....that place truly is a shithole. Big grin

Here's my question- how'd he get the position of Sec. Gen? He comes from an obscure and non-important nation, why not someone from the US/UK, etc...more influential nations? Or is it there so that no one major nation's agenda is pushed?

he's there to do what he thinks is best for the world.

Since when was his judgement what's best for the world? Granted, the US's take on things may not benefit everyone, so thats why we don't run the world...as stated before, this dickhead isn't a world leader, or nor will be he...more like self-imposed "king of the world", or more like a premature form of the Anti-Christ, extreme as that seems.

To me, the UN is a flimsy 'peacekeeping' orginization, who'd be better off performing Red-Cross duties worldwide (humanitarian and the like), then playing the political game. Get the hell off our soil dudes.

DeltaGuy

yyz717

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:43 pm

Here's my question- how'd he get the position of Sec. Gen? He comes from an obscure and non-important nation, why not someone from the US/UK, etc...more influential nations?

All African countries banded together and DEMANDED a black African for the UN SG. They cajoled much of the rest of the 3rd world into agreeing. Koffi was one of the few black Africans eligible, hence was a shoe-in. The West just shrugged and allowed it, as the UN is effectively a harmless & useless entity anyway.

His selection was racist of course, and based primarily on the colour of his skin.

jasepl

Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:49 pm

Ah yes, more pearls of wisdom...

Boutros Boutros Ghali preceded Kofi Annan. Ghali did not get to complete his customary tenure at the UN because certain nations did not like him. The United States was the only member that vetoed his appointment for a second term. The other 14 Security Council members wanted him to continue.

Since Ghali was African, that's the reason Annan got the post. It had nothing to do with the colour of his skin - it was just Africa's turn. African nations had remarkably little say in the matter.

[Edited 2004-11-28 04:54:31]

Springbok747

Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:47 pm

I agree with DeltaGuy and Yyz717  Big thumbs up

Kofi only got elected because he is a black African from Ghana.

The UN is just a big farce now, no one really cares what that lousy organization does/doesn't do. I think its time the US kicked the headquarters of that goddamn organization out of its soil. All the so-called diplomats are just there to line their pockets. Really pathetic.

אני תומך בישראל

DeltaGuy

Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:00 pm

The West just shrugged and allowed it, as the UN is effectively a harmless & useless entity anyway.
His selection was racist of course, and based primarily on the colour of his skin.

Well said, YYZ....I think the UN just wanted to seem 'diverse', and bring in a seemingly 'peaceful' black man. Since when did his nation represent the views of our major nations?!?! Pffft, hardly so! Seems like just another Nelson Mandela to me....

Can't wait till they slam the lid on the cookie jar, with his grubby paws in it...he'll be caught red handed, you can count on that. Get the hell off our property, United Nimrods....ya'll couldn't punch your way out of a wet paper bag.

DeltaGuy

jasepl

Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:46 pm

Here's the deal:

• The United States did not want Ghali to get a second term. They were the only ones to vote against his re-appointment. even though the Security Council voted 14-1 in favour of a second term for Ghali, the United States had a veto, so the appointment could not go ahead.

• The Americans then insisted that everyone come up with another candidate. And demanded of the African nations that they come up with a more suitable (read subservient) candidate if Africa wanted to continue having an African as the UN SG. If the African nations insisted on retaining Ghali, the United States threatened to look for another candidate elsewhere. That's when the African countries and a few European nations considered Annan - to keep their seat at the table.

• Basically, Yyz117, you've got the story completely backwards. I don't know however if that's a result of ignorance, bigotry or plain convenience. And it's quite entertaining to see the other posters effectively nod their heads and follow in concurrence - like dumb, driven cattle.

yyz717

Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:21 pm

No, here's the deal:

Black Africa made it quite clear they wanted a black African UN SG once Ghali's term ended. This happened much sooner than expected when Ghali was vetoed and hence Africa got the chance to promote/push/demand Koffi much sooner than expected. Whether there was a 2nd Ghali term or not, Africa was going to demand a black African.

Basically, Yyz117, you've got the story completely backwards. I don't know however if that's a result of ignorance, bigotry or plain convenience. And it's quite entertaining to see the other posters effectively nod their heads and follow in concurrence - like dumb, driven cattle.L

Let me remind you of the rules of anet -- to refrain from name calling. Lest you get banned permanently.

777ER
    Crew

Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:23 pm

A New Zealand broad caster, Paul Holmes said a few months ago on his saturday morning Radio New Zealand show that Kofi Annan is a checky darkie. This caused a huge up roar, with hundreds of complaints to the broad casting standards authority. Mr Holmes was forced to make an apololigy on his 7pm TV show one night. As a result of his comments on the radio. Mitsubishi Motors New Zealand cancelled their contract of sponsership to Mr Holmes TV show each weeknight.
    Head Forum Moderator
    moderators@airliners.net

LHSebi

Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:51 pm

I'm surprised no one caught on to this one:
    His job is not to choose which party that suits his ass, but instead to work with what countries he has been given- he's not a world leader like he thinks. Courtesy of DeltaGuy...

Just a question: Who said "The world is more peaceful and more free under my leadership."?.....
    I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

Klaus

Yyz

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:09 pm

Yyz717: Let me remind you of the rules of anet -- to refrain from name calling. Lest you get banned permanently.

So you´re seeing your unfounded and prejudiced "arguments" being ripped to shreds and your response is not bringing valid arguments for a change, but whining and sobbing to the mods that you´ve been "so wronged"?

Come on, even by your standards that´s pretty weak.

You´re trying to paint the UN as some evil villainous organization with would-be emperor Khofi Annan at the top, only there to destroy the almighty and saintly US of A.

In fact, the UN is a worldwide forum, with all its actual power on lease from its member nations, with Khofi Annan essentially being the ceremonial representative with his only power being the one to propose things that will only take effect if the member nations should actually support them.

You have no clue what the UN is, how it works, how its decisions are made, why certain decisions (historical and current) were and are being made and what the role of the UN Secretary General is.

Instead, you´re spouting factually incorrect and clearly prejudiced insults at the UN and at Annan. He may or may not have actually taken bribes - but so far there is nothing except your wishful thinking to even suggest it could be the case.

Inform yourself and come again. Until then, I stand by my qualification of "silly prejudices".

And DeltaGuy, please be more careful whom you´re following uncritically. It´s always been a bad idea, and particularly so in this case.  Wink/being sarcastic

yyz717

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:23 am

You´re trying to paint the UN as some evil villainous organization with would-be emperor Khofi Annan at the top, only there to destroy the almighty and saintly US of A.

Stop reaching, or you're gonna fall. I said the UN was a bureaucratic and corrupt organization spending money on dubious ventures. I never said it was evil or villainous.

You have no clue what the UN is, how it works, how its decisions are made, why certain decisions (historical and current) were and are being made and what the role of the UN Secretary General is.

I know as much as you. I simply am more analytical and critical of the UN than you. Once again, quit the personal attacks.

Inform yourself and come again. Until then, I stand by my qualification of "silly prejudices".

Just because I view the UN more critically than you, does not make me incorrect. Once again, I warn you about the name calling. You will get banned.

Klaus

Yyz717

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:46 am

Yyz717: I said the UN was a bureaucratic and corrupt organization spending money on dubious ventures.

The same could be said about practically every government, to varying degrees. That you´re completely unable to acknowledge the responsibility of the member nations for almost all of the UN´s decisions or the many cases where UN sub-organisations are helping people in need doesn´t help your argument.

Yyz717: I know as much as you.

Doubtful. You don´t know, apparently, who is making the actual decisions in the UN. Hint: It´s not the Secretary General. Almost all major decisions have - or have not - passed the veto power of the permanent UNSC members.

Yyz717: I simply am more analytical and critical of the UN than you.

I wish that were true - or even just plausibleBig grin

Yyz717: Once again, quit the personal attacks. [...] Once again, I warn you about the name calling. You will get banned.

Just above having called the UN Secretary General a "bum" puts you in a rather awkward position about "name calling", don´t you think?  Insane

You´re constantly claiming that you´re "well read" and "well informed" and yet the only thing we´re hearing from you over and over are carbon copies of paranoid right-wing propaganda outlets without any hint of factually verifiable information.

Sorry, it just doesn´t fit together.

jasepl

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:51 am

Yyz117, again, your 'critical' view of things is rather convenient and shallow.

Just like any part of the worls, all of Africa would never be perfectly happy with any one African SG. Lest we forget, Egypt is still very much in Africa. However, the different 'parts' of Africa - Northern, Francophone, Anglophone etc. They're never ever going to all always want the same thing.

Many African countries were never in favour of Ghali in the first place, even before he began his first term. But everyone reached a compromise and accepted him. Even when it came time for his reappointment, everyone voted in favour of the customary 2nd term, except the United States.

However, within a few weeks of the 14-1 SC vote in favour of Ghali (the US being the sole opponent) a lot of countries 'magically' changed their minds - Egypt included. Why do you think Mubarak and all those other countries suddenly decided they didn't want Ghali anymore?

One wouldn't need more than one guess.

This is what happened. We aren't looking at Scripture, that a more critical' view will somehow alter the facts. You can look it up, if you want. It's pretty well-documented.

Also, don't try threatening me just because you can't sustain your own 'critical' argument. It won't work.