ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Why Do People Wait To Shop This Time Of Year?

Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:55 pm

I could understand if Christmas was a date TBA...

...but it's the same friggin' date every year, ergo, why on Earth do people wait until this time of year to do their shopping-- then whine about it?!

Have never understood the concept. I mean, I realize some people LOVE the holiday rush because it gets them into the spirit of the season. But for every one of them, seems there's about 10 people who cuss/scream/holler because they're waiting outside a store at 4am-- when it doesn't even open until 6.

Call me Scrooge, but I do my Christmas shopping in June... though have been known to hit the stores on December 26.

What about you types?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

DeltaGuy

RE: Why Do People Wait To Shop This Time Of Year?

Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:03 pm

Coupla days before Christmas, when I've had awhile to snoop and see what caliber of gifts I'm getting..then go get equally as good of ones in return.

I don't understand why everyone HAS to do it after turkey day..it's like it's an organized sport or something, pretty gay if you ask me.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Andreas

Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:24 pm

Just came back from NYC...left there a few thousands bucks...any questions?

I just love that exchange rate Big grin Big grin Big grin
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

OYRJA

Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:28 pm

Last week I came back from Chicago as well. And I also left a "couple" of bucks over there as well Big grin

And yup. The exchange rate is wonderful for us Europeans  Big grin

alcregular

Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:47 pm

I finished my Christmas shopping a few weeks ago, and all the presents are wrapped.
Why drive when you can fly?

ZKSUJ

Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:49 pm

There is just something in the air when the christmas rush is on. It is stressful for some but I find it fun in a wierd way. It is like a christmas mood setting experience for many people I would presume.

ScarletHarlot

Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:15 am

I hate it and don't understand it either. I try to get as much done early as I can and now the rest will be ordered over the Internet. I just have to get Mr. Harlot's big gift now.

I did go up to Vancouver on Saturday. Of course, American Thanksgiving weekend doesn't matter in Canada but the crowds are getting worse the closer we get to Christmas. It wasn't too bad. Loaded up with Canadian chocolate - yay!
But that was when I ruled the world

Superfly

Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:56 am

......because Santa Claus is there that time of year. Big grin

As much as I hate shopping malls, I really enjoy going during the Christmas rush. I like the Christmas decorations, music, kids going crazy and the parents are all panicking. That's what the holidays are all about.

One Christmas season I worked part time at a Victoria's Secret. Women can be very catty, competitive and downright evil to each other when there is a sale and limited supply.
I got a kick out of it.

[Edited 2004-11-29 19:57:52]
Bring back the Concorde

yooyoo

Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:50 am

First advent = First shopping day for me. And, yes, I do shop to the last day. But I do not bitch about it. I love the rush and full body contact a person can get into.

In addition, I get the 2 days prior to Christmas off from work. Therefore, a FULL day of browsing and dishing out cash.

I admit, I am a shopoholic. Love spending money on gifts for people and for myself  Smile

Andreas  Big thumbs up
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

desertjets

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:28 am

Do you buy gifts for people's birthdays months in advance??? Why would Christmas be any different. Oftentimes prices on popular goods come down in time for the holiday shopping season and new products come out around this time of year.

I know plenty of people in their regular shopping do buy stuff with the intention of giving it for Christmas months ahead of time too.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Jkw777

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:31 am

Did all mine online last night! Even ordered the cards too! Big grin

I got a bit carried away and spent a bit on myself too!  Big grin

It took me 27 minutes exactly, I saved about 5 hours of my life! I hate going into the city to shop, its just pure madness!

Cheers,

Justin  Big grin
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

yyz717

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:36 am

A more fundamental question is why bother xmas shopping at all? No one needs half the crap they get anyway.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

jaysit

Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:43 am

Most of the shopping mania is media induced.

Of course, you need that reindeer sweater with matching santa sequined socks. And you just HAVE to buy it now, before all the other gyno-sarauses get to it (and talking about gynosarauses, why is it that most of these shoppers are very large women?)
Atheism is Myth Understood.

babybus

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:25 am

I'm totally with Yyz717 on this one. What a waste of time and money and a horrid way to start the holiday. To prevent the shopping horror this year, my family have decided to cut out all presents and focus on food,booze, socializing and slumping in front of the tv. Now that's the christmas spirit!

and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

yooyoo

Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:41 am

HEART ATTACKS FOR ALL!!!

Just kidding  Smile

Andreas  Big thumbs up
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T